News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 705 Pt Tau (Starting off)  (Read 1926 times)

Offline .:Darkness:.

• Zombie Jesus is notoriously hard to put down.
705 Pt Tau (Starting off)
« on: May 19, 2007, 01:15:17 AM »
Im planning on picking up the battleforce near teh end of this month so i want a list down so i know what i should assemble and how. I already know the basic in's and out's of tau.

[NOTE: These models will be the only models i own so very limited modifications please.]

This list needs some decent ironing out and its a bad list so far but what can you expect from one battleforce?

My main enemy at this moment is necrons but hes only at a low point cost. He has 20 or so warriors, a lord, destroyer and 3 scarab swarms. I only added one anti-tank element in this list because i wont be coming up againced much armour yet. I already own one box of fire warriors hence the extra gun drones and squad of FW's (Duh  :D)

Sa'cea 27th mechanized.

Shas'el - 102 pts
Missile pod, Plasma Rifle, Positional Relay, HW Multi tracker.

3 Stealth Suits - 92 pts.
- 2 Burst Cannons, 1 Fusion blaster

12 Firewarriors - 210 pts (Pulse Rifles)
- Devilfish, Multi Tracker, Gun drones [90]

12 Firewarriors - 120 pts (Pulse Rifles.)

12 Kroot - 84 pts

8 Gun drones - 96 pts

704 Pts.

I plan on deep striking the gun drones where i need them and using the positoinal relay to get them on target, they will be mainly for harrassing / tieing up a squad of warriors. The devil fish will most likley be going up againced a squad of warriors aswell and i plan on testing out a FoF tactic. The shas'el and the stealth suits will be there to try and take out the destroyer early and then focus on getting rid of the lord with the res-orb. The scarabs pose a threat though as in past encounters with him they always end up tieing up somthing i really need. and they deep strike in the worst spots for me also.

I think i can take this list and play with it effectivly and the scarabs will be my only short commings. Perhaps he scatters bad on the deep strike and i get a round of rapid fireing (I wish)

Constructive critisism please. Note that i am using the crisis suit you get from the battleforce box as my commander so i wont get any special issue weapons that you get in a commander box.
“Why did I have to get the imperial guardsmen, you don’t even have any good weapons or features”
“I do so” I said defensively. “I’ve got my lasgun and my trusty bayonet”
“What a gun that will give the other contestants cancer in ten years, or at worst will make them squint. Then you have a blade that’s more suited to opening cans and to top it all off, your covered in cardboard for armour.”

Offline jimmmho

Re: 705 Pt Tau (Starting off)
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 02:26:22 AM »
Hey dude,

I'm doing the exact same thing as you are, 1 extra box of FW and a battle force (im also getting an extra Stealth Suit).

My set up is pretty much the same, except i have 3 squads of 8 FW each in order to spread the fire around, as well as equipping one of them with markerlight drone. i think this, especially against necrons, will give you a lot more mobility, and besides, markerlights are always good news.

Good luck!!

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 04:12:23 AM »
I really do want the 12 Fw's for the FoF. THe more i can get into rapid fire range early, the better. And i dont think two squads of 6 Fw's will really be that effective.

As for the markerlight drone, i havnt really thought of that one yet. I guess i could find a way to fit it...
“Why did I have to get the imperial guardsmen, you don’t even have any good weapons or features”
“What a gun that will give the other contestants cancer in ten years, or at worst will make them squint. Then you have a blade that’s more suited to opening cans and to top it all off, your covered in cardboard for armour.”

Offline pepsi

• Spammer: Forum Blathermouth
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 04:53:05 AM »
Just know when the lord charges you, hell most likely go after a suit. (more times then not people with speed like going after suits, this can be used to advantage. )

Scarab swarms, they are the necrons nurglings. They dream of wasting your pulse rifle shots, and biting at your warriors ankles. So lets dash their dreams with this configuation.

Shas`el

Missile pod 3 ft range
plasma rifle 2 ft range
postional relay
hard wired multi tracker
Hard wired target lock

Why this?

Because each weapon insta kills a swarm base, and two weapons with two targets is even better. If you eliminate the stall factor of swarms early youll do your other units a favor.

E

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 04:59:50 AM »
That is ofcourse if he doesnt deep strike them out of my shas'el's range though.

Thanks for reminding my about that target lock. i forgot about it when making the list. I jsut hope my necron friend has enough models up to that point size or else i may have to drop somthing.

Offline int main()

• Crouching Broadside,Hidden Stealthsuit
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2007, 05:21:13 AM »
Target locks on ICs are useless,target locks allow individual suits within a unit to split fire.Only Shadowsun with her advanced target lock can actually split the fire of her indivdual weapons.

Also,why positional relay on your commander?I don't see any suicide ninja suits in your army,and going by what you've told us you don't really need a suicide ninja suit in your list either.You're probably better off sticking to the proven and slightly cheaper shas'el,albeit boring(PR+MP+TA+HWMT@97 points)

Do keep in mind that destroyers come in squads of 3-5,solo destroyers are illegal.Solo Heavy Destroyers are legal though.

There's no point taking fusion blasters on stealths IMO,their shorter range will pretty much force you to expose them to return fire,and when it happens your suits will simply...evaporate.

12 Firewarriors - 120 pts (Pulse Rifles.)

Could do with a shas'ui here,seeing as you're on foot.

As for those scarabs,he could do nastier things with them than deepstrike.For starters,he could turboboost them behind cover,then hop out and assault you on turn 2.In fact,I'd say deepstriking them is like deepstriking assault marines,it's a non-optimal way of using them.You don't necessarily have to tell him that though

Oh,and beware those damn gauss weapons.Never fails to screw over vehicles.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 05:24:15 AM by void main() »
Burn the Sister of Battle.
Kill the Space Marine.
Purge the Grey Knight.
Destroy the Imperium.
Let the Galaxy burn!

Offline pepsi

• Spammer: Forum Blathermouth
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2007, 05:24:49 AM »
3 feet of missile pod range. Most likely youll get it.

a unit meant to die, if he bothers to deep strike them AWAY then i would look at him funny. If he deep striked from behind however that would be another story ( in which case, kill them with the lowest amount of shots so you dont get yor fire diverted)

I thank you for pointing out the target lock (I may have overlooked something)

but I think hes facing a necron lord with a destroyer body upgrade.

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2007, 05:53:28 AM »
Actually, because hes a good mate of mine i allow him one destroyer as he only has one, there for i allow him to field it.

As for the target lock, i thought that was the one that raised the BS, but now i see that actually targeting array. My bad.

Also necrons are his first army and he only has 700ish points of stuff so he doesnt exactly know all the little tricks. Im helping him learn by battleing, i like changing up my lists so he gets some good experience. I do play to my best though, so if he does beat me he knows he earned it. Also i dont tell him his mistakes ingame unless its a very very bad mistake. Il tell him after if he did anything wrong and what he could do better.

As for gauss weapons, you dont need to tell me, i decided to put a full equiped pred in one fo my lists. one turn of gauss fire and it exploded. I did get to remove one of his warriors perminatly and took another two out with bolter fire (Although they both got their WBB rolls  >:(  )

I plan on deepstriking the gun drones. They can deep strike yes? Im not perfect on tau rules just yet. I put the positional relay on the shas'el because i always scatter in the worst way possible in each situation (Ie off the board).
« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 05:55:45 AM by .:Darkness:. »

Offline int main()

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2007, 05:58:58 AM »
a unit meant to die, if he bothers to deep strike them AWAY then i would look at him funny. If he deep striked from behind however that would be another story ( in which case, kill them with the lowest amount of shots so you dont get yor fire diverted)

Why's anyone even bothering to deep strike scarabs?If you simply use jetbike movement:

a)You can assault on turn 2.Deepstrikers arrive on turn 2 and assault on turn 3,at best
b)Jetbikes don't scatter.Deepstriker s do.
c)Turboboosting makes their armor save into an inv save for 1 round of shooting,giving them that extra bit of resilience that they can use to weather your firepower,and still charge you and tie you up.

but I think hes facing a necron lord with a destroyer body upgrade.

OK.Then that means the necron guy has 708 points worth of stuff,and that's with a maxed out lord and d-fields on the scarabs and warriors(which on warriors are completely pointless).Also,a lone destroyer gibs the moment you take it down,rendering it rather pointless.

PS:1 warrior is definitely not a worthy trade in exchange for a predator.
Kill the Space Marine.
Purge the Grey Knight.
Destroy the Imperium.
Let the Galaxy burn!

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2007, 06:10:40 AM »
I know one warrior is not worth it. I was saying that i know how deadly gauss weapons can be and then gave an example. I lost that game by the way because it was small points and that pred could have been a game winner if it wasnt hit badly. That was a mistake on my part.

Also how did this get onto the topic of necrons and scarabs?

Also im thinking of ordering some things from BW bits so i can potentially get a skyray - hammerhead - ionhead - devilfsh from that one kit. Then i came across this. When using a seeker missile i cant find in the codex that answeres my question. Do you roll to hit for seeker missiles or are they assumed to auto-hit?

Offline int main()

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2007, 06:24:54 AM »
Good point,let's not go OOT.

You can get a skyray-HH-DF from one kiit.Just buy the skyray box,it comes with all of the sprues for the other 2 vehicles too.You just need to swap out the turret to switch between vehicles since the hull's the same.

As for seeker missiles,the answer's in the codex.They are assumed to operate at a BS of 5.
Kill the Space Marine.
Purge the Grey Knight.
Destroy the Imperium.
Let the Galaxy burn!

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2007, 08:08:18 PM »
Ah thank you, i couldnt find it. Could i please get a page ref for future notice?

Il post up an updated list in a week, im going off on a camp with some mates so i wont be here.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2007, 08:18:07 PM »
How Seeker Missiles hit is found on Page 29 as part of the Markerlight rules box.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2007, 10:08:04 PM »
Ah thank you. I was looking in the wrong places.. obviously.

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2007, 05:38:05 AM »
(Sorry for double posting but i've done a revised list)

Sa'cea 27th mechanized.

Shas'el - 102 pts
Missile pod, Plasma Rifle,  Positional Relay, HW Multi tracker.

6 Firewarriors - 60 pts (Pulse Rifles.)

12 Kroot - 84 pts

4 Gun drones - 48 pts

4 Gun drones - 48 pts

704 Pts.

I havnt goten rid of the fusion just yet, i want to know what i could put in, in place of it.

Offline int main()

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2007, 07:50:39 AM »

Blacksun filter comes to mind,other than that the minimal amount of points saved by dropping the FB can't really buy you much unless you drop other stuff as well.

Personally,I'd save an additional 5 points by replacing the relay on your shas'el with a targeting array.I don't really see the point in deep striking 4 gun drones in,when they could do better by starting on the board from turn 1.
Kill the Space Marine.
Purge the Grey Knight.
Destroy the Imperium.
Let the Galaxy burn!

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2007, 01:10:59 AM »
Updated list

Sa'cea 27th mechanized.

Shas'el - 97 pts
Missile pod, Plasma Rifle,  Targetting array, HW Multi tracker.

3 Stealth Suits - 90 pts.
- 3 Burst Cannons

12 Kroot - 84 pts

4 Gun drones - 48 pts

4 Gun drones - 48 pts

697 Pts.

I now have 7 points to spend, question is what to buy now?

Offline Kiefatar

• ...and Margarita Shooters!
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2007, 06:44:28 PM »
Decoy Launchers on the fish.
The Flan of Victory! Delicious!

For all your Ork Needs! -
http://www.40konline.com/mos/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=861&topic=155110.0

40K Online Campaign - Despoiler Organizer
http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=162397.0

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2007, 10:33:29 PM »
Ah, prefect.

Sa'cea 27th mechanized.

Shas'el - 97 pts
Missile pod, Plasma Rifle,  Targetting array, HW Multi tracker.

3 Stealth Suits - 90 pts.
- 3 Burst Cannons

12 Firewarriors - 215 pts (Pulse Rifles)
- Devilfish, Multi Tracker, Decoy Launchers,  Gun drones [95]

12 Kroot - 84 pts

4 Gun drones - 48 pts

4 Gun drones - 48 pts

702 Pts.

Look good? My battleforce may not be coming so early. Apparently its an extra $35 to ship it to australia so im not really saving much there. None the less it is a $30 saving so i will still be ordering from Bw.