News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1500pt Static Tau for begginer  (Read 740 times)

Offline 2quiet

• Infinity Circuit
  • BOOOOOOOOM...."yes, that red button..."
1500pt Static Tau for begginer
« on: April 30, 2006, 04:16:13 AM »
Hello, I've been developing this list from a 1000pt list, any help or input you could give me would be much apreciated, thankyou.

H.Q.

Shas'o with plasma rifle, missile pod and multitracker: 110

Ethereal: 50

Elites

Crisis Suit- Plasma rifle, missile pod and multitracker: 65

Crisis Suit- Plasma rifle, missile pod and multitracker: 65

Crisis Suit- Flamer, burst cannon and missile pod: 60

Troops

Firewarriors(12) Shas'ui with markerlight and 1 gun drone: 152

Fast Attack

Pathfinders( 8 )
Devilfish with 2 Seeker Missiles, decoy launchers: 201

Heavy Support:

Broadside Battlesuit- 2 Shield Drones: 100

Hammerhead with Railgun, Smart missiles and 2x Seeker missiles, decoy launchers, multi-tracker, target lock: 200

Hammerhead with Railgun, Smart missiles and 2x Seeker missiles, decoy launchers, multi-tracker, target lock: 200

TOTAL: 1507pts

Thank you very much for anything you have to say.
Some of my favorites:

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day- Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

I lay in bed last night looking up at the stars in the sky, and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling?

It matters not whether you win or lose; what matters is whether I win or lose

If ther's something you can deffinetely rely on it's gotta be- oh, theres not

Offline Archonbjorn

• Archon
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Where's your emperor now?
    • Vengeance of the Fallen [Dutch]
Re: 1500pt Static Tau for begginer
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 07:15:29 AM »
Well I can only tell you what to change from what I estimate is wrong because I have only played one battle with them.

First of all: You have to many pathfinders IMO. If you look at it a average of 50% will hit their target. Thus you have 4 markers. I find that 3 should be suffucient. Especcialy if your gonna use the seeker missiles for it.

Be carefull with those devilfishes with their missiles. It would be a waste if they would get shot down.

Second: Remove the gun drone from the fire warrior squads. I don't see a real reason why you should include them due to its range. You are better of investing those points somewhere else.

Third: I have also played with 2 hammerheads with smart missiles in a 1k pts game. I found it overall not worth it. You are better of with a pair of burstcannons. Sure they will get shot. But hey you want to soot that pie plate dropper to besides your missiles.

Those are the biggest ''mistakes'' as far as I see them. Should free up some points for other stuff.

Offline 2quiet

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2006, 08:18:03 AM »
Thank you. There was an oversight on my behalf as i simply coppied and pasted the two Hammerheads. One of them was supposed to have the SMS, but the other was meant to have burst cannons. I just like the balance of having both.
Some of my favorites:

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day- Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

I lay in bed last night looking up at the stars in the sky, and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling?

Offline Col. Dash

• We're the Imperium, we're here to help
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006, 05:42:35 PM »
Huh? Keep the pathfinders squad maxed out, but find some way to include 3 rail rifles. The more pathfinders the better i have found in my games. Keep the smart missles on the hammerheads. On most boards you will want them and against MEQs the key is to make them roll saves as much as possible. Burst cannon are nice, a 4 shot 24" range weapon is better. I find once tank hunting duties are over, its nice having extra shots.
I do agree with ditching the gun drones in the FW squads, they are about pointless when for the same cost you can have a FW. I would get rid of the squad leader Markerlights too, I have never seen the purpose of them since the squad cant use it.
Upgrade the anti-troop crisis to the shas-whatever leader and use the air bursting frag projector. It is much better than a flamer and with the burts cannon backing it up, you dont need to be so close to the enemy. If you can add the mutltitracker and a drone controller with two gun drones to improve on his anti-troop abilities.
Why the etherial? They are accidents waiting to happen especially with no meatshield.
Put smart missile launchers on the PF devilfish. Since the new codex rewrite, i have found these invaluable turns a troop carrier into a infantry fighting vehicle.
Not big on broadsides but since this is a static list i suppose its ok.
When you upgrade to 1850 points, add some stealth suits, they are awesome when teamed with pathfinders. 18 s5 shots needing 2s to hit is awesome.

Offline 2quiet

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2006, 07:30:14 PM »
Sorry, should have mentioned I'm still working out of the old Codex, so I dont really have a lot of an idea of what your talking about at the moment, but thankyou for your suggestions and when I get hold of the new dex I will be sure to take a look and incorporate your ideas. Apreciate it very much.
Some of my favorites:

Offline Col. Dash

• We're the Imperium, we're here to help
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2006, 08:16:06 PM »
WOW, you are bringing old dex PFs to a fight with only 2 seeker missiles? I brought them as well but I had every vehicle in my army(I play mech) have 2 seeker missiles so they never really ran out of ammo. New rules allow for each pathfinder that hits a target to basically put a token on that target. You can pull a token to give one of your squads or vehicles +1 BS (stackable), remove cover saves( also stackable) negate target priority, ignore nightfight and a couple other odds and ends. I dont know if they still do the 2+ to hit with seeker missiles. I only bring 2 seekers now and havent used them yet, too many other cool things to do with PFs.
There are special issue weapons and equipment now for crisis squad leaders and commanders. One of them makes alot of flashes but doesnt do a whole lot to marines. The other shoots an ordinance template :)
Etherials can take a bodyguard of beefed up FWs now, which is important because their special rule about units and morale only works if they are in LOS. But if you lose the ethy, those that recover themselves or dont run away, get hatred against the enemy.

Offline 2quiet

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2006, 09:47:51 PM »
Wow, cool, sounds awsome! Well, actually I must have picked the PF rules up somewhere along the way cause I knew they could mark for ther squads (though I didnt know al the details like being stackable, nightfight etc). Thank you very much, and the new Ethereal sounds great! This list is really for my friend who plays Tau (and has kinda hoocked me into loving them!) so I have to wait until he gets the dex before I can read it!!!! Cant wait!!!!
Some of my favorites: