News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Dealing with the New Grey Knights  (Read 8110 times)

Offline prot

• Infinity Circuit | KoN Veteran
  • Prot ZA113
Re: Dealing with the New Grey Knights
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2011, 03:59:48 PM »
An Officer of the Fleet is posibly the best 30pts you could spend against Grey Knights.

I'll agree with that.

I'll also toss in the most powerful Grey Knight force is most likely one that has zero Grey Knights.  :)

Offline Dice_Junkie

• Strangers have the best candy!
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2011, 04:08:21 PM »
so let me run this by youse guys.

since it sounds like blobs arent gonna be that great against GK's, why not split all the units into 10 man squads. that way the Gk's can deepstrike, shoot, and cut down a squad in hth at the bottom of their own assault phase. seeing as how we'll get a turn at shooting them as well, it might not be so bad.

hopefullytheir assault will end up killing the 10 man unit and be caught in the open in front of an ig gunline for the top of our turn. sprinkle in ootf, astropath, plasma, lascannons, a pinch of melta, and a sprig of russes or bassies, and i think we got em covered.

imho, when the marines get all kinds of cheesey goodness like the gk's do, it's best just to stick to the simple tactics. hug cover, shoot the big ones, and cripple the fast ones. if those cant be achieved, kill em all.  8)

Offline Azgard

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2011, 07:26:41 PM »
hug cover, shoot the big ones, and cripple the fast ones. if those cant be achieved, kill em all.  8)

flawless strat.

About blobs though, I would still prefer blobs to 10 mans. Mostly due to commissars. You add 1 commissar to your 40 man squad and then they don't run away anymore. Give your 4 Sargents and your commie all PW then you get 15 Power weapon attacks when the GKs charge you. They cannot be targeted, and the GKs dont have enough attacks to kill off all of your men before you cause them heavy casualties.

Offline Wofen

• The lone Wolf
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2011, 08:28:29 PM »
I dont know, a Purifier squad lead by a Lib could possible eat though 40 men in one turn, but I am not sure how you "stack" spells.

If there are 2 models fighting 10 models, and the 2 can cast a spell that hits everyone on a 4+, do you roll 20 dice, or do you resolve the first spell, and then the 2nd? If you resovle them at the same time, then I can see there being big problems in using power blobs, as I can see a Purifier squad being lead by a Libby as the be all end all of anti-hoard squads, as only 33% of the squad 9considering 5+ save) would servive the spells, and then you have there basic combat attacks.

Now, the good thing to remember is, that squad would cost more then your 40 man blob :P

Wofen
Back again after 5 years.....

Offline Caustic

• Castellan Cawww!
  • Armies: Salamanders, 1k Sons & Daemons, Hochland Empire.
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2011, 08:47:38 PM »
Guardsmen are actually one of the best hordes to take a hit from Cleansing Flame, as the Wound roll is the exact same as it would be if you were burning Orks, plus they have a better Armour Save.  Still not ideal to be taking it though... its a good thing Purifiers can't Deep Strike normally.

Offline TheShirtlessMan

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2011, 12:53:00 AM »
Now, I just played a blob list against GK's with purifiers, I had 2-20man conscript squads, shielding my 30-man commissar Power blobs, my enemy moved well and decided to assault 1-30 man and 1-20 man squad each with a squad of purifiers assaulting each. I also had straken in this list and his Counter attack went off on all 4 of my squads, and I was able to wipe both squads of purifiers while sustaining 25 casualties to one 30man blob(cuz they failed to wipe the 5man purifier in one turn) and the other purifier squad was wiped while losing about 10 casualties.

I then proceeded to recycle my conscripts and my blob squads killed off the other purifier squad, so for his 260ish pts, it cost me about 150ish points(plus recycled conscripts depending how you feel about them), so even though Cleansing flame went off twice on one 30man blob, and once on other 30man blob, my commissar blobs got stuck in/wiped him, while I was able to recycle my conscripts next turn(b/c he can't sweeping advance if the commissar blob gets stuck in) while also wiping some of his potent assault potential. So, I would say Power blobs are stilll the way to go, as they consistently can cause many invuln saves and also regular saves to elite units.
Page 51 of the IG codex. The Imperial Guard have recorded a confirmed kill ratio of 99,999:1.........what you got?

Offline Azgard

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2011, 12:13:49 PM »
If there are 2 models fighting 10 models, and the 2 can cast a spell that hits everyone on a 4+, do you roll 20 dice, or do you resolve the first spell, and then the 2nd?
Each squad can only use 1 psycic power per turn in total, regardless of the number of models in contact. So you would have to have 2 seperate squads in contact in order to flame the enemy twice. In which case you must resolve them seperatly.

Offline prot

• Infinity Circuit | KoN Veteran
  • Prot ZA113
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2011, 08:53:57 AM »

I also had straken in this list and his Counter attack went off on all 4 of my squads, and I was able to wipe both squads of purifiers while sustaining 25 casualties to one 30man blob(cuz they failed to wipe the 5man purifier in one turn) and the other purifier squad was wiped while losing about 10 casualties.

What an amazing example of throwing heaps of bodies at the problem and somehow finding a solution. Gotta love Guard!  8)

Offline Dice_Junkie

• Strangers have the best candy!
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2011, 07:36:35 PM »

I also had straken in this list and his Counter attack went off on all 4 of my squads, and I was able to wipe both squads of purifiers while sustaining 25 casualties to one 30man blob(cuz they failed to wipe the 5man purifier in one turn) and the other purifier squad was wiped while losing about 10 casualties.

What an amazing example of throwing heaps of bodies at the problem and somehow finding a solution. Gotta love Guard!  8)

this is exactly why i stopped playing marines. no ammo? no problem! throw more bodies at it!

Offline wellard

• Master Gunner
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2011, 10:45:43 AM »

this is exactly why i stopped playing marines. no ammo? no problem! throw more bodies at it!

was going to post something a long these lines, i don't need to change anything in my army to deal with GK, massed cheap infantry, and some support squads, nothing fancy just make them roll dice!!!
They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old. Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning.

We will remember them

Offline Gornon

• Emperor's Quill | I... I just don't want to talk about it
  • Ancient
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2011, 09:04:34 PM »
Mechanized Guard hammers them quite hard, too.  The GK really lack for anti-tank capabilities.  If you choose to 'mech up', a wave of AV 12 will almost certainly overrun them as they simply can't kill enough.

I ran two games against them the other day, and my list proved very successful, nearly wiping out my opponent's army both times with below average casualties both times.  When it boils down to it, Grey Knights, as far as I.G. are concerned, are normal Marine lists.  Yes, they pwn us in CC, but so does everyone.  Unlike everyone else, they have considerably less numbers to deal with our firepower and little to none of the FNP, high toughness, or Storm Shields that other Marines can put out.
"Lift not my head from bloody ground,
Bear not my body home,
For all the earth is Roman earth
And I shall die in Rome."
-G.K. Chesterton, The Ballad Of The White Horse

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-Carl von Clausewitz, Prussian Military Theorist

Background Board Poster of the Year, '09