News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Top 1,850 Eldar list ( Corsair Mech / reserve )  (Read 10826 times)

Offline Lazarus

• Infinity Circuit - The Voice of Reason
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Space Wolves & Imperial Guard
Top 1,850 Eldar list ( Corsair Mech / reserve )
« on: June 26, 2009, 03:43:10 PM »
I was down at my LGS the other day and was disussing the current affairs of local tournies. Over the last 5 years or so "RTT" type events have gone extremely cut throat and could almost be viewed as non comp events. Comp was now a formaility and even that was changed to the checklist type structure you'd likely see at an event like Adepticon. The "hobby focus" has been pretty much replaced with ruthless competition. Sure, they may be a few "soft" lists there but more often than not 75%+ are running pure beatstick. The Massacre system (formerly not used in RTT play) does not help with this situation either. Many people like to use these events as "practice" for their beatstick lists they are taking to bigger events.

This got me thinking about my 1,850 Mech / Reserves list. When we were dicussing what the deffinition of a "top tier" or "Ard" list was we agreed it was likely something that you could look at yet not really improve upon without imbalancing it somewhere else. The list as is would be 100% optimized and changes to that would likely lower it's overall "rating" (looking at you Moc). This is my standard 1,850 list that I've used to capture 3 straight best overalls with. It is a slight variation of my 1,750 list already posted but the addition of the council (instead of Scorpions) gives it a huge jump in power.

(210) Daruthaya ("counts as" Eldrad)
(155) Prince Edukhai ("counts as" Yriel)
(306) 10 Warlocks w/ 2 embolden, 2 enhance, 1 destructor & 2 spears
(110) Wave serpent w/ TL shuriken cannons & spirit stones
(130) 10 Storm guardians w/ 2 fusion guns, warlock w/ destructor & spear
(145) Wave serpent w/ TL bright lances & spirit stones
(85) 10 Defender guardians w/ shuriken cannon
(60) 5 Dire avengers
(180) Falcon w/ EML, holo field & spirit stones
(160) Fire prism w/ Holo field & spirit stones

3 Scoring units
12 KP's

Mech / reserves gives us amazing mobility, duarbility and scoring options compared to other standard Eldar lists. I think it lets us take on the bulk of the tourney arch types that we are likely to face with the highest probability of success. There is enough CC in the list to even break the backs of stuff like Orks and Tyranids. Without totally selling out the theme (pirates) I can't think of much to really make it "better".

Any thoughts?

I'll be expanding this to 2,500 for the 'Ard Boyz competition in July. I'm looking to add this:

(212) 10 Striking Scorpions w/ Exarch w/ Claw, stalker & shadowstrike
(145) Wave Serpent w/ TL Bright lances & spirit stones
(145) 8 Fire dragons w/ Exarch w/ Dragon's breath & crack shot
(145) Wave serpent w/ TL Bright lances & spirit stones

The addition comes to 647 points brining the list total to 2,497.

Thoughts?

Lazarus.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 05:12:30 PM by Lazarus »
"If someone used the ridiculous cover saves rule on me I'd probably punch him in the face. If he's still standing he would be entitled to punch me in the face, take my army, and my woman if he can. This is known as the Conan rule of play, and is not forbidden in the core rules and encourages serious amounts of sportsmanship." - Carniflex

Offline speedy

• lurking in a forum near you!
Re: Top 1,850 Eldar list ( Corsair Mech / reserve )
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 04:11:13 PM »
You don't think you'll need another scoring unit when you bump up to the higher points level?

At 2.5k, 3 scoring units seems to me to be a vulnerability.

Offline Lazarus

• Ancient
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 04:16:37 PM »
This thought had initally occured to me but the mech list offers great survivability and over the last several tournaments I have not had any issues with my TROOPS surviving. I can always hold the TROOP parts in reserve.

The addition of the Fire dragons helps to put a hammer onto the "super units" like Nobs etc. as well as dealing with heavy AV.

Scorps give me more CC which is important when you are trying for massacre results.

I don't know what the missions will be for the 'Ard boyz so I'm really just guessing at this point. If I HAD to add in another troop choice it would likely be another storm guardian unit (dropping the Scorps) leaving me 85 points to spend on something else....not sure though.

Lazarus.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 04:17:40 PM by Lazarus »
"If someone used the ridiculous cover saves rule on me I'd probably punch him in the face. If he's still standing he would be entitled to punch me in the face, take my army, and my woman if he can. This is known as the Conan rule of play, and is not forbidden in the core rules and encourages serious amounts of sportsmanship." - Carniflex

Offline Aron Figaro

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 04:25:34 PM »
I think if you're planning to reserve your troops and make good use of that, I wouldn't change a thing, either at 1850 or 2500. I don't like the rather squishy nature of your 3 scoring units (5 DAs, and guardians for the rest), but again, reserves and vehicles will help protect them. This is your weakpoint by far, though.
Sorry if I'm not sugar-coating your codex enough. Tier lists are tier lists. Argue and whine, or put your quarter up. I'm here to play.

Offline Lazarus

• Ancient
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 04:42:38 PM »
I'm totally happy with 3 units at 1,850 - remember, they don't get out of the tanks anyways. They aren't squishy that way :)

Lazarus

Offline Aron Figaro

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 04:48:36 PM »
If they never get out, why not 3x5 DAs? The gear on those storm guardians suggests there will be times when they jump out and flame people.
Sorry if I'm not sugar-coating your codex enough. Tier lists are tier lists. Argue and whine, or put your quarter up. I'm here to play.

Offline Lazarus

• Ancient
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 04:57:00 PM »
If they never get out, why not 3x5 DAs? The gear on those storm guardians suggests there will be times when they jump out and flame people.

3x5 Dire avengers is usually frowned on in a comp type envorinment. I do agree that comp plays a lesser role than it previously has but it is still there. The guardians (especially my conveted storm guardians) fit my Pirate theme nicely. It's this theme where my "counts as" characters help to satisfy the fluff Nazis.

As to them getting out - they occasionaly do but it's usually against an isolated foe that I'm sure to kill or at a point in the game where it doesn't matter. Examples of this can be found in my battle reports.

Lazarus.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 05:12:55 PM by Lazarus »

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 05:53:40 PM »
My traditional concern would be lack of anti-tank.

How are you going to deal with, say, SoB list with 3 exorcists and all squads in rhinos, or new IG list with some 10 shooty tanks? I seriosly beleive that the latter would soon become one of the standard "power-archetypes" in addition to the existing ones.
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline Lazarus

• Ancient
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 07:11:17 PM »
Posted by: SeekingOne

How are you going to deal with, say, SoB list with 3 exorcists and all squads in rhinos, or new IG list with some 10 shooty tanks? I seriosly beleive that the latter would soon become one of the standard "power-archetypes" in addition to the existing ones.

The same way I've dealt with multiple Land raider & Vindicator lists . I usually alpha strike them from reserves or overload them on a flank etc (Divination might help here). In addition, once I do unload the council I seem to be able to destroy pretty much anything in their path and of course Yriel often breaks off to go pound something dead be it a vehicle or unit. I can't really fit more AT in there than I already have without losing one of my TROOP choices. I've faced Mech SOB's before and it's not that bad. I haven't had a chance to fight a competition IG list for the new codex yet but I know that it could be an uphill battle. Of course then again, they have a new codex to work with that is designed for this edition.

Another 'Ard boyz option upgrade would be: 645 pts

(145) Wave serpent w/ TL Bright lances & Spirit stones
(80) 5 Fire dragons
(80) 5 Fire dragons
(110) Wave serpent w/ TL Shuriken cannons & spirit stones
(85) 10 Defender guardians w/ Shuriken cannon

This gives me a second scoring unit and decent AT punch....and 9 skimmers.

Lazarus

Offline BrutalMetal

• Newest
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 07:35:40 PM »
Posted by: SeekingOne

The same way I've dealt with multiple Land raider & Vindicator lists . I usually alpha strike them from reserves or overload them on a flank etc (Divination might help here). In addition, once I do unload the council I seem to be able to destroy pretty much anything in their path and of course Yriel often breaks off to go pound something dead be it a vehicle or unit. I can't really fit more AT in there than I already have without losing one of my TROOP choices. I've faced Mech SOB's before and it's not that bad. I haven't had a chance to fight a competition IG list for the new codex yet but I know that it could be an uphill battle. Of course then again, they have a new codex to work with that is designed for this edition.

Another 'Ard boyz option upgrade would be: 645 pts

(145) Wave serpent w/ TL Bright lances & Spirit stones
(80) 5 Fire dragons
(80) 5 Fire dragons
(110) Wave serpent w/ TL Shuriken cannons & spirit stones
(85) 10 Defender guardians w/ Shuriken cannon

This gives me a second scoring unit and decent AT punch....and 9 skimmers.

Lazarus

I usually only lurk, but I felt that since this is an 'Ard list I would throw in my 2 cents.

I think your first variation with the squad of Scorpions would be the better of the two lists to use. I have read some of your other battle reports and you never seem to have trouble keeping your troop selections safe. While the danger to them increases from 1750/1850 to 2500, the inclusion of the 8 Fire Dragons to cover vehicles and the 10 Scorpions to cover extra CC should be plenty of protection.

I also feel the use of two squads of Fire Dragons, while intimidating, is a bit unnecessary when you are already fielding 2 Fire Prisms, a Falcon, and four T/L Bright Lances. That, of course, is not including all of your Spears on your Warlocks/Yriel/Eldrad. Also, when it comes to heavily mechanized SoB or SM lists, they will rely heavily on Rhinos, which can be taken down by your Shuriken Cannons if it really comes down to it.

Offline Lazarus

• Ancient
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2009, 08:06:58 PM »
Posted by: BrutalMetal

I usually only lurk, but I felt that since this is an 'Ard list I would throw in my 2 cents.

Welcome to 40K  online!    :)

I think your first variation with the squad of Scorpions would be the better of the two lists to use. I have read some of your other battle reports and you never seem to have trouble keeping your troop selections safe. While the danger to them increases from 1750/1850 to 2500, the inclusion of the 8 Fire Dragons to cover vehicles and the 10 Scorpions to cover extra CC should be plenty of protection.

Agreed. I was only really kicking around the second option. I may test both....

Lazarus.

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2009, 08:50:10 PM »

(210) Daruthaya ("counts as" Eldrad)
(155) Prince Edukhai ("counts as" Yriel)
(306) 10 Warlocks w/ 2 embolden, 2 enhance, 1 destructor & 2 spears
(130) 10 Storm guardians w/ 2 fusion guns, warlock w/ destructor & spear
(60) 5 Dire avengers

3 Scoring units
12 KP's

1846pts

Mech / reserves gives us amazing mobility, duarbility and scoring options compared to other standard Eldar lists. I think it lets us take on the bulk of the tourney arch types that we are likely to face with the highest probability of success. There is enough CC in the list to even break the backs of stuff like Orks and Tyranids. Without totally selling out the theme (pirates) I can't think of much to really make it "better".

Any thoughts?

I'll be expanding this to 2,500 for the 'Ard Boyz competition in July. I'm looking to add this:

The addition comes to 647 points brining the list total to 2,493.

Thoughts? (I edited the points to correct them ~ moc065)

Reserved for moc-score

First off though, why only 1846pts to start with.... you could squeeze something into those last 4 points; no ?

Also understand that I have both played and faced this list and its its 1750 varient as well (really, as I think they are hardcore and they are not no-brainer sto use well, as I have done well with them; but I have also seen them absolutely dominated). As for the 3 points to spare, add one more spear to the council for AT purposes, and its 2500 bang on... now I only have to slap together 2 more Serpents in 2 weeks to run the 2500pts list. Oh and paint one crapload of loder figures to match my red style. I also rated the 1750 varient already so there is no need for lazarus to post the whole rundown on tactics, story line etc... as I am familiar with it, and you can check his 1750 varient to get that info if you want it.

moc-score @ 1846

The army works as 6 fighting sections with Big-E and/or Yriel going with the Warlocks; but also having the ability to work with other units or on their own... it can start on table and "Devine" a new set-up if required, or start off table with pretty good "Reserve" options.

1.. Anti-tank potential All 6 sections have decent anti-tank, but honestly the 2 TL-BL's are the best ranged AT, and the lack of a dedicated AT unit like Fire Dragons could hurt a little, as some stuff isnot reliable AT... Thus I score it as Good 0.8 but a lot depends on combo's and player usage.
2.. Anti-MEQ potential Once again, all 6 sections have some options vs MEQ; but nothing is 100% dedicated A-MEQ like Dark Reapers would be; the Eye of Doom, and some other really good items do help a lot though... Thus again I rate it as Good 0.8 but again a lot depends on the combo's and player usage.
3.. Anti-Horde potential The Fireprisms are great vs Hordes; but so are many other items such as Destructor, mass Witchblades, small arms fire, etc... I don't think its uber uber aweseom for Crowd Control; but it has the potential to trim units as it moves around... Thus I score it as Good 0.8
4.. Ranged Firepower potential I love the Serpent/Falcon configs for ranged firepower; but the Fireprism's can be prone to poor Scatter and the Cargo's are limited in their ranged output; so timing is critical... Thus I rate it as Above Average 0.7 as many things are dependant on early success and player usage and timing becomes a huge factor.
5.. Assault potential Now some will say that the Council is limited due to Big-E not being able to Fleet, etc... but do not under-estimate the power of the Uber Council, especially if combined with a gang of Pumped up Stormies and some softening blows from shooting. The Assault potential of this army is wicked if used correctly... Thus I rate it as Very Good 0.9 as target priority is its one key issue.
6.. Scoring Units / point level 3 scoring units @ 1850 is fine, as long as their resilient enough to last the game, and have the speed to gain the right objectives; and both criteria are met within this army... Thus I score it as Good 0.8 but again understand that timing is esential and coordinated play.
7.. Durability or Resilience The Heavy Supports are the toughest nuts to crack; but even the rest has good resilience as it can arrive and deliver its punch to often avoid return. Timing, Target Priority, and Coordination are key; but when used correctly this type of army can be seriously resilient... Thus I score it as Very Good 0.9
8.. Flexability There is almost no limit to the flexibility of this style of army (aside from standing still and fighting ~ which can still be an option)... Thus I score it as Very Good 0.9
9.. Mission Capabiliy 12 Kill points is decent, and it can certainly score when required or contest, etc... When I used this type of army I hammered out Massacre after Massacre, even vs armies that I thought would be tougher... Yes you need to watch for certain infiltrators, or some IG delay items; but overall this type of army is one of the Strongest Eldar armies going in terms of Mission potential... Thus I score it as Excellent 1.0; please remember that with that potential also comes the means to over-estimate and fail hard, so player usage is a huge factor.
10. Dynamics and/or Theme Theme is out the window, and I don't care about the Pirate story, this is a Power Gamers list and that is that.... Dynamics and Synergy however are there in spades, so give it a cool story, paint it well to match and play it as a combo toting bag of tricks and it has huge potential to be dynamic and synergetic... Thus I rate it as Very Good 0.9 (mostly because I actually like Lazarus' story etc, and for the synergy).

Rating = 8.5/10 ~~ Some will score it differently (and it can get beat down)... but if used well this is by far one of the most potentially lethal Eldar army lists out there at 1850 pts level.

Cheers
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 03:51:38 PM by moc065 »
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline Lazarus

• Ancient
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2009, 11:44:13 PM »
Posted by: moc065

First off though, why only 1846pts to start with.... you could squeeze something into those last 4 points; no ?

Honestly, I didn't have any more Warlocks w/ spears. Remeber, it costs me about $40.00 to add another warlock that to my collection so in the end I decided that the points were no big deal. (lol)

Also understand that I have both played and faced this list and its its 1750 varient as well

Even though they are quite similar the Council over Scorpions is what really pushes this list up in power. I can utterly catch and break Nobz etc as their power fists mean nothing to me. The Scorpions had always done ok but inevitably lost many or all members to stuff like that. also, it's not safe for Yriel to "bomb" inside the scorp unit and yes, sometimes that is needed. lol

Lazarus.

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2009, 03:53:27 PM »
Score done... 8.5... (best score I gave any Elar list in 5th Ed btw); but again Player usage is a huge factor, so I considered a General such as Lazarus behind the helm in regard to the scoring system.

Cheers

Offline stezerok

• Infinity Circuit
  • For Jason Lezak, and the Missing Photo Op...
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2009, 04:07:22 PM »
Well, as you've described it Lazarus I agree with you that this is one of those lists where you couldn't really change anything around without removing some of the balance elsewhere. However, I just want to point out that for Orks (which you've said you have troubles with sometimes), that a tri-flamer Storm Squad might be an idea. I'd suggest this instead of the normal Guardians, but you don't have the points. However, for the 2500 pts list when you add in the Fire Dragons, you may consider changing the Stormies you do have from Fusion Guns to Flamers. Other than that I don't really have much else to say. Good job, and good luck, but most of all:

Good Hunting,
-Stezerok

Offline Lazarus

• Ancient
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2009, 04:55:53 PM »
I had problems with Orks when I was still trying to run a Hybrid list. Once I went full mech I've been crushing them pretty well becasue I engage on my terms.

Lazarus.

Offline Chaplain Swordwind

• Infinity Circuit | Painboy
  • Faith is my shield, the Wailing Doom is my sword!
    • Click here for generic Math-Hammer tool.
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2009, 05:53:46 PM »
Chaplain Swordwind Rating:

Durability:  2 of 2

When I originally math-hammered this, I came up with an estimated 1.5 out of 2, but considering all the tactics you use to preserve your forces (Reserves, dual Fortune, etc.) it earned the full 2 points.  In your hands I see most people having significant trouble inflicting casualties against this army.

Flexibility: 2 of 2

My ONLY concern was the fact that you have only a single close combat unit, but considering that unit is to absurdly tough, its more or less the equivalent of 2 other close combat units.  The way this list is put together I suspect that you wouldn't need any backup for the counil at this point limit anyway.  When you do bump up to 2500 points, I agree with your choice of Striking Scorpions.

Lethality: 1.5 of 2

This list will bring the pain.  However, it is geared heavily towards self-preservation, rather than the all-out destruction of the opponent.  Units like the Defender Guardians and the Dire Avengers are clearly not intended for offensive operations, so the list is not quite as destructive as it could possibly be.  I'm sure the damage output will be more than adequate for your purposes though.

Mobility: 1.5 out of 2

Mobility is a significant asset for this army.  It might seem odd that this list does not receive full credit when everything is mounted in fast skimmers, but considering that the Seer Council needs to be in hand to hand to fufill their purpose, and the amount of points invested in that unit, 1.5 is what you end up with.  If your Serpents had Star Engines, you'd definitely score the full two points, but that would require compromises elsewhere that would probably reduce the overall effectiveness of the list.

I am aware that Eldrad's Divination allows you to redeploy units, thus potentiall allowing your council to get where they are needed that much quicker; but I factor that particular ability into other parts of my evaluation, like Flexibility and Synergy.

Synergy: 2 of 2

The whole of this army is greater than the sum of its parts.  Though you seem to have restricted yourself from using certain units in order to remain within your theme, I do not believe that has hurt this army in any way.  As a whole, this list is incredible, and in your experience hands, I expect that most people will have a hell of a time finding a solution to it.

Total:  9 of 10

This is the highest rating I've ever given to an army.  It just seems to have the right blend of everything, and when you factor in the amazing paint job on your models, your history of good sportsmanship, and your experience as a player, this really looks like the best army I've ever seen; a "sure" tournament winner (as sure as any army could be anyway).
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 10:37:41 AM by Chaplain Swordwind »
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the unprepared.

Join the Swordwind!

My Eldar Project

Chaplain Swordwind is right about, ehm...everything.

Offline Lazarus

• Ancient
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2009, 07:54:48 PM »
I'll be going with the first option at this time....   :)

Lazarus.

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2009, 09:13:37 PM »
Here is the rundown on how I would configure for 2500pts and I might well be taking this on July 11-12 if i can do that tournie... I may still run my Pure Saim-Hann list for that tournie; but it would be tougher to do well with it, as its very restricted for certain items.

HQ
(210) Eldrad
(155) Yriel
(311) 10 Warlocks w/ 3 embolden, 2 enhance, 1 destructor & 2 spears

Elite

Troops
(130) 10 Storm guardians w/ 2 flamers, warlock w/ destructor & spear
(60) 5 Dire avengers

Heavy Support

2498pts, 16 Kill Points, 2 Scoring Units, and 64 Figures

I fully expect to face another very good Hybrid Eldar list, 3 Exercist SOB list, 3-4 Landraider lists, Drop Pods / Daemons, DE with Vect, and a wicked new IG list as those are the local favourites... Orks will be there I am sure as well; but I too have not had big issues with them in my last 10+ games vs them. Nidzilla might rear its ugle head; but I don't see it as a huge issue either.

Cheers

Offline Lazarus

• Ancient
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2009, 09:41:44 PM »
HQ
(210) Eldrad
(155) Yriel
(311) 10 Warlocks w/ 3 embolden, 2 enhance, 1 destructor & 2 spears

Elite

Troops
(130) 10 Storm guardians w/ 2 flamers, warlock w/ destructor & spear
(60) 5 Dire avengers

Heavy Support

2498pts, 16 Kill Points, 2 Scoring Units, and 64 Figures

1 extra Embolden in the council is never a bad thing.

Flamers instead of fusion guns on the stormies is a preference thing - I'll keep my fusion guns. If things go well I won't be getting out anyways.

I'll probably give this a spin vs. a wicked Black Templars 'Ard boyz list this weekend.

Lazarus.