News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Scout based SM Army Viable?  (Read 1383 times)

Offline cauterized.hearts

• /-/ |{
Scout based SM Army Viable?
« on: July 13, 2011, 01:59:39 PM »
I have always been quite taken by the idea of making a SM army based around Scouts.  I love the models and think the concept would be fun.  While my main goal would be to create an interesting list, I would also like to keep the list competitive.  In skimming the armylists in this forum, I've noticed that very few people seem to use Scouts.  Why?  Are they blatantly outperformed by Tactical Marines?

This was my idea for a Scout based armylist.  It has a real alpha-strike feel to it with the drop pods and land speeders.  I would plan to use the land speeders to destroy key vehicles first turn and use the CC Scouts inside either to help destroy vehicles or to tie up shooty units.  The rifle Scouts would infiltrate onto an objective and provide fire-support.  The biggest downside that I see to this list is the blatant lack of anti-Meq (It's worth noting that Meqs dominate my local metagame.).  The drop-podding sternguards can use their vengeance rounds to help combat Meqs but I don't know if it would be enough.  Beyond Meqs, the army has very little to effectively counter Teqs.  There are meltaguns, but its never good to be within 12" of a Teq (unless you're a CC beast).  Which leads me to another flaw: this army seems kind of "in your face" but lacks the CC ability to survive at this distance.  As a result, I think it would get chewed up pretty bad by assaulty armies.

Again I like the idea, but I want to make it a competitive reality.  Ideas?  Any support units I should consider?  I also very notably did not include any HS selections.  Are there any I should look closely at?

C&C please.

HQ
?

Troops
Scouts - 5x bolt pistols & CC weapons, melta bombs - 80
Scouts - 4x sniper rifles, heavy bolter - 85
Scouts - 4x sniper rifles, heavy bolter - 85

Elites
Sternguard - 8x bolter, 2x meltagun, drop pod - 295
Sternguard - 8x bolter, 2x meltagun, drop pod - 295
Dreadnaught - multimelta, drop pod - 140

Fast Attack
Land Speeder Storm - multimelta - 65

Total: 1335

The intention is of course to create a 1500pt force but I'm not sure what to take for an HQ choice. Ideas?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 02:00:47 PM by cauterized.hearts »

Offline Azash76

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Scout based SM Army Viable?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 09:13:00 PM »
I would lose the sternguards. Sniper scouts from personal experience are worthless in a shooty army. I would take assault terminators instead. The idea being is you can use the scouts the pin them down and the terminators to hunt them down and wipe them out. To save yourself some force org slots consider using 10 termie units and dividing them into combat squads.

I would also drop the land speeder storms...I know its scouts its weird. A good sized squadron of scout bikes would be better give them beacons to drop your terminators in near them. Also you can take the mines which is a nice option. If you go scout bikers use a squadron or two of regular speeders w MM's and assault cannons or heavy flamers if you don't have the points. They can use the existing homing beacons deep strike in and shoot on there first turn since they are fast. That would give you some anti armor and keep the flavor of the army alpha strike scout.

Little trick I have learned for CC scout squads lose the pistol on the sergeant and give him a shotgun gives you an extra shot before you assault. You might also crunch the numbers on going cc blade and shotguns it might be more effective at whittling numbers down.

Frankly I would lose the melta bombs and in all honestly lose the cc scouts period! I would go with 2 units of bolter armed scouts with Heavy Bolters and 3 units of sniper scouts with missile launchers. Also see if you can't add cloaks to them all lots of points and all I know but that would give them 3+ cover saves in most terrain.

I would exchange that dreadnaught for an ironclad dreadnaught. Your dropping him on the enemy its close combat dread for the win so you might as well go with the actual close combat dread. Fitted out with assault launchers, melta gun and heavy flamer should cause quite a mess when you drop it on your opponent. Goes without saying you want to add a beacon to the drop pod as well.

About the only other thing I would do is add in some sort of heavy that gives you some armor punch.

Also its fluffy i know but if your going a scout army you might as well use Telion in there.

As far as an HQ goes I would use something simple and cheap like a chaplain in termie armor that can drop in with your termies or a librarian although I am not a fan of them you may be able to make a librarian work using gate of infinity or null zone.

EDIT : Just thought of this. Sounds weird but for a scout list you might think about using a Forge Master with the conversion beamer your heavy fire support also you get the reinforce option to upgrade ruins and help some of your scouts with a better cover save. With the cloaks mentioned above your looking at one unit rollling 2+ cover saves thats a damned good shot soaker.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 09:20:32 PM by Azash76 »

Offline VoodooTiger

Re: Scout based SM Army Viable?
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 11:10:45 PM »
A few ideas to make the list more effective:

Drop the multi-meltas on the LS Storms, replace them with heavy flamers.  With the BS of scouts, I just don't think they'd be very effective, and your army could use some extra anti-horde ability.  Plus, they'd really help against squads in cover.

Try to include combi-bolters in the Sternguard squads.  For minor points you can really up the power of the squads.  I'd also consider adding them to your CCW scout sergeants.

If you can find the points, add more men to the sniper scout squads.  2 5-man squads probably won't be sufficient to hold onto your own objectives.

For an HQ, I'm not sure.  What role do you want your HQ to play?