News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Captain Raphael  (Read 2489 times)

Offline SanguineTim

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Captain Raphael
« on: August 6, 2014, 05:20:53 AM »
Hi All,

I'm converting up a terminator command squad for my BA army. My plan is to model the terminator captain after Captain Michaelus Raphael as mentioned in the 3rd edition of Space Hulk.

And that's where I get stuck, is there any published canon information about him such as appearance, personal heraldry, wargear etc?

Thanks for your help!

Offline Slick Samos

• Que!!
  • Armies: Tau, Dark Angels & Salamanders
Re: Captain Raphael
« Reply #1 on: August 7, 2014, 05:42:50 AM »
Hi Tim!

After a bit of research I've seen him with Power Sword and Storm Bolter; Twin Lightning Claws; and Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield...  So, like Belial, I believe that he is a flexible First Company Terminator Captain!  On that note, Belial's rules could represent him very well on the table if your gaming group would be happy with that...

Slick Samos
Play more games, paint more models...

Offline SanguineTim

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: August 7, 2014, 05:54:21 AM »
Hi Slick,

Thanks for that, I think using the Belial rules would be a fantastic idea. Where did you research Raphael? I've been googling for days and found nothing but vague references and bits from Space Hulk?

Thanks,
Tim

Offline Slick Samos

• Que!!
« Reply #3 on: August 7, 2014, 12:12:57 PM »
Hi Tim,

I also Googled and searched Michaelus Raphael and many of my searches are 40k based (which I believe influence what comes up?) :P

Michaelus Raphael - Wikihammer 40k
The caption for the image reads "Terminators of the First Company of the Blood Angels are lead by the Captain Raphael in the purge Sin of Damnation" so I'm assuming that he is the one at the front...

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fi.ebayimg.com%2F00%2Fs%2FOTYwWDEyODA%253D%2Fz%2FEz4AAMXQlgtSscYB%2F%2524_35.JPG&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fitm%2FWarhammer-40k-Space-Hulk-Blood-Angels-Terminator-Captain-Michaelus-Raphael-w53-%2F350957492789&h=225&w=300&tbnid=wp8GAEyqMqm7nM%3A&zoom=1&docid=4NgLwx9J5xcSRM&ei=aqLjU-3kE9GM7AaLvoDIDQ&tbm=isch&client=opera&ved=0CCMQMygAMAA&iact=rc&uact=3&dur=493&page=1&start=0&ndsp=30
and
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fimg.auctiva.com%2Fimgdata%2F1%2F3%2F0%2F6%2F5%2F7%2F6%2Fwebimg%2F724599089_o.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fitm%2FWarhammer-40k-Space-Hulk-Blood-Angels-Terminator-Captain-Michaelus-Raphael-w53-%2F350957492789&h=960&w=1280&tbnid=GjItjVoGmnr2wM%3A&zoom=1&docid=4NgLwx9J5xcSRM&ei=aqLjU-3kE9GM7AaLvoDIDQ&tbm=isch&client=opera&ved=0CDAQMygNMA0&iact=rc&uact=3&dur=194&page=1&start=0&ndsp=30
These ones are the same eBay lot which links a Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield model with him...

Space Hulk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The main guy is again Power Sword and Storm Bolter...

The information may not be right at all given that it's all third hand, however, I think that it is perfectly reasonable to assume that he uses all of the different load outs...

http://i746.photobucket.com/albums/xx107/Grudunza/Miscellaneous/marineR_captain_raphael.jpg
I thought this one gave showed him with Twin Lightning Claws, but actually it's a fan made one!

Hmm... Perhaps I got no further than you :P

Slick Samos
« Last Edit: August 7, 2014, 12:18:15 PM by Fio'la Slick Samos »

Offline SanguineTim

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: August 8, 2014, 05:07:09 AM »
Hi Slick,

Interesting - I'd actually seen all but the first link you sent but... I'd always assumed that the character on the Space Hulk box was a sergeant as his shoulder pads were black and I'd never been able to get those ebay images to actually load!

I think that first link is the key to this although I agree that he'd be able to use a variety of wargear as per the options for a generic terminator captain in the BA codex. It lists the possibility of using a combi flamer/combi melta and I was thinking this would be a nice choice with a power sword as both Tycho and Dante have master crafted meltas of some description.

Tim

Offline Slick Samos

• Que!!
« Reply #5 on: August 8, 2014, 05:45:00 PM »
Hi Tim,

The more I think about it the more I'm inclined to go with the Power Sword and Storm Bolter combination as par the first link...  However I would still maintain that he'd choose the weapons for the job and he's been fighting for at least 200 years, so will be very proficient with whichever weapons he wields!

Combi-Weapons are better than Storm Bolters, I don't see any reason why he shouldn't wield one...  (especially since Storm Bolters were originally Combi-Bolters, which were two Bolters strapped together)

I think that Combi-Melta actually has the least value for Terminators as they need to be within 6" to shoot effectively.  If they're within 6" then they are within charge distance where your Powerfists, Chainfists (which are basically Melta Bombs) and Thunder Hammers can do more damage...  (The Combi-Melta makes more sense on Tycho and Dante precisely because they are unlikely to be accompanying Terminators, therefore are more likely to be in a squad which threatens tanks with Meltaguns)

The Combi-Plasma allows you to do a lot more damage at 12" than your Storm Bolters, plus won't change what you're shooting.  As in if you're hitting infantry, the Plasma does it better than your Storm Bolters, and if you're hitting tanks, it works as a slightly worse Cyclone Missile Launcher.

The Combi-Flamers will always be useful, especially against large groups of infantry, which is traditionally something Terminator heavy forces struggle with...

(Combi-Grav would be awesome if you had access to it!)

I believe you could magnetise the Combi-Weapon which comes with the new Tactical Squad box set, as I think it comes with a bolter and then the four combi options...  But I haven't bought it so I'm not certain...

Slick Samos

Offline SanguineTim

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 09:56:41 AM »
This makes perfect sense. Right, I shall be modelling him with a combi-plasma (should give me an excuse for some cool OSL) and a modified glaive encarmine. I shall put up some pics when I'm done.

Thanks for your help!

Offline kq76

• Newest
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2015, 06:02:13 PM »
I was looking for the same info and came across this thread. For others that might also come across it I thought I'd point out that that first pic is of Sergeant Lorenzo, the pic is used on the Space Hulk board game 3rd edition, the figurine is of Sergeant Gideon, and the last is actually of Brother Claudio, but, yes, a fan used him to create a card for Raphael for the Space Hulk: Death Angel card game.

I'm still looking for pics of Captain Raphael. I'm wondering why I can find more about a lot of other Space Hulk characters than their Captain. Did he die early on or something?

Removed first link for Sergeant Lorenzo as it was linking to an illegal publication.  Please take the time to read our Forum Rules and become familiar with the standards that we hold this community to.  --- GML
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 04:11:51 AM by Grand Master Lomandalis »