News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Codexes on the way  (Read 18195 times)

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: Codexes on the way
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2017, 07:30:40 PM »
All armies will be getting chapter tactics for their force. Also, I'll bet there will be army building obligations, like in AOS for their factions. But, we'll see.

We could very well see points hikes, or changes in the new codex to reflect this. I really hope twin assault cannons go up in price. Holy amphetamine parrot those are crazy.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2017, 08:04:10 PM »
All armies will be getting chapter tactics for their force. Also, I'll bet there will be army building obligations, like in AOS for their factions. But, we'll see.

We could very well see points hikes, or changes in the new codex to reflect this. I really hope twin assault cannons go up in price. Holy amphetamine parrot those are crazy.

So Raven Guards bonus is not that great against CC heavy armies, but really bad for Tau, so does that mean Tau will get a bonus for shooting more than 12" away.. if it does then if Tau vs other armies suddenly gets a lot better, which means other armies will need to have some way to balance that out... Makes it that much harder to balance a game when you start pushing out unneeded special rules. If you really need fluffy special rules, do it once the extreme meta's have been tweaked out.

Yeah, Twin AC's are not bad, but Normal Marines don't have many cheapish options for AP weapons. Think of all the stuff Eldar and Necrons get access too, so I'm OK with them, but I'm still playing against people who like running balanced CAD style armies, so they tend not to get overly spammed.

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2017, 09:31:31 PM »
We'll see how it all plays out. I'm not going to speculate too much, without the bigger picture. We don't know the points and restrictions yet, so that might make a big difference.

Twin-Assault cannons are boarderline broken-good. 12 S6 ap-1 shots? A lot of lists I'm seeing contain 5-8 Twin-assault cannon razorbacks, and Guilliman for re-roll hits and wounds. Just wipes people off the table. I don't see why assault cannons needed to get 6 shots base.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 09:36:00 PM by Killersquid »
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2017, 11:05:04 PM »
For most armies, the increased number of shots is welcomed as it's a heavy weapon usually mounted on a model that wants to move. With the reduced BS it balances out. Obviously characters help make them better, but you're paying a lot of points for that bonus.

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #64 on: July 30, 2017, 06:11:58 PM »
I am going to continue to use my indexes for the majority of my armies.  I think I have something like 8 or 9 armies now and I don't feel like dropping $50-60 a book on them.  If i decide to do tournaments then i will just get the book for whatever army i dedicate as my tournament army.   

I hate the fact that they are doing codexes so overpriced.  GW is going back to being the publishing company it has been for the past several years.  Sigh

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #65 on: July 30, 2017, 11:20:08 PM »
Go to have a read of the SM Codex.
So chapter tactics are restricted to infantry, bikers and Dreadnoughts, (Servitors dont get them either).

Stratagems.. you can burn Command points to get extra relics and upgrade one of your characters to a chapter Master (better buff). There are a bunch of unit specific stuff as well. Most of them Seem to be minor buffs for re-rolls, or taking some sort of loss to maybe get a mortal Wound.

Warlord traits are not too shabby, however the alternate chapter traits can really boost units or the Warlor. Ravenguard Warlord ignoring overwatch or Ultramarine have a chance of the command point usage being free.

Relics...
Most of them are not too bad, area of effect increases.

Ravenguard jump pack.... can advance+charge and re-roll failed charges. I'm starting to think Ravenguard Fanboy got to add stuff into this book.

I may have missed it, but I didn't notice any point value for relics...

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2017, 12:54:35 PM »
With Space Marines released it's Chaos Marines and Grey Knights next as GW previously mentioned. Preorder this weekend.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
« Reply #67 on: August 1, 2017, 02:50:06 AM »

I may have missed it, but I didn't notice any point value for relics...

There aren't any. But it does say you have to pay for the item of wargear you're replacing. So in the case of the Ravenguard jump pack, you still need to pay the points for a Captain with jump pack, and then sub in the Relic.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #68 on: August 14, 2017, 07:17:54 PM »
Since GW announced that there would be 10 codexes before Christmas, has anyone seen the list of codexes they are dropping?

• Ancient
« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2017, 07:45:06 PM »
Since GW announced that there would be 10 codexes before Christmas, has anyone seen the list of codexes they are dropping?

They only confirmed a few books at their initial announcement. After Death Guard comes out (with some nice new models), it's pure speculation.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: August 22, 2017, 01:30:06 PM »
After Death Guard it's Codex: Adeptus Mechanicus.
Drink
Knights Tippler

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2017, 08:19:37 AM »
I really hope that the sub-factions get put on the backburner after this. I really want to see Imperial Guard, Orks, Eldar, Necrons and Tyranids paired up with the obligatory Imperial releases. I dont want to see Dark Angels + Thousand Sons, Deathwatch and Blood Angels style pairings till the cows come home. It'd really be a shame if most of the major factions didn't get their dexes by christmas time.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 08:20:51 AM by Cavalier »
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

• Ancient
« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2017, 10:18:53 AM »
I'd be pretty happy to see the harlequins codex next :)
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline laucian_meliamne

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Don't Panic; It's Open-Source!
    • The Place Where I Put Stuff Online
« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2017, 12:24:30 PM »
My suspicion is that they're churning out the sub-faction books first because they need the fewest new/re-boxed sets.  Spend less time/money on the models and more on the books to crank them out faster.

That said, I would be very surprised if we didn't get at least some Xenos releases in the initial 10 books.  Tau seem pretty likely since they have very minimal old metal/resin sets (are there even any left in the current range?), and even their first-generation plastic sets (Kroot, Fire Warriors, Hammerhead/Devilfish) are aging pretty well.  That said, given how little recent storyline events have focused on the Tau they might get backburnered for more central/iconic races.

Eldar played a pretty pivotal role in the recent storyline, and even their old kits (e.g. Vyper, Falcon, Guardians) are holding up pretty well.  Aspect Warriors are a problem though, since they're still the old metal/resin casts.  Warp Spiders are sorely in need of an update (the "current" models date back to 3rd edition). Same goes for Swooping Hawks. Shining Spears could be done by just adding an accessory sprue to the current jetbikes. But Banshees, Scorpions, Dragons, and Reapers, despite getting new metal/resin kits a while ago, are probably due for a re-re-release in plastic to get the whole line up to date. Also, some plastic Storm Guardian arms might be nice.  Added up, that's a lot of new kits that need to be made, and that doesn't feel like a "before 2018 along with 9 other books" project to me. I'd love to be wrong, but Eldar I can't see coming out properly for a while.

Tyranids I could see coming out soon-ish though. They've got some nice centrepiece plastic sets, relatively little remaining metal/resin, and they can lean on the new Genestealer sets if they needed to.  Plus Tyranids haven't gotten a new book in a while, so that'd be nice.  That said, because they've been neglected for so long I could see GW releasing them as a flashier Eldar-style release as I described above, with lots of new sets.

IG seem like another line that they could churn out quickly. The Cadian line has been pretty stable for a while, and making some bundles with lots of tanks isn't hard.  Maybe make some new accessory sets or character models, but I can't see much that's urgently missing from them.  It'd be super nice to see some of the old regiments make a return in plastic; I have a soft spot for Tallarn personally (I own about 7kg of the old metal ones), but that's probably further off. Maybe save that sort of thing for IG sub-faction releases?  Codex: Steel Legion, Codex: Catachans (again), Codex: Vostroyan Firstborn, etc...

Skitarii/Ad-Mech are probably another quick turn-around army. Their models are all pretty recent, there aren't any old metal/resin kits that want converting to plastic.

And then we're back to the SM and Chaos sub-factions.  Deathwatch are likely an easy one, since they can leverage every other chapter-specific release for conversion parts, and the Kill Team boxes (Cassius + the normal one) are recent, good-quality sets.  Blood Angels have lots of nice plastics already (e.g. Death Company), and they're almost as iconic as the Ultramarines in a lot of the production artwork.  I'd love to see a Codex: Renegades to cover IG turned traitor, along with a proper Daemons book that eschews corrupted humans entirely, but I can't see either of those happening in the initial 10 books.

This post has turned out more rambly than intended, so I'll perhaps sign off here and let everyone get back to the discussion.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #74 on: August 23, 2017, 01:42:24 PM »
The Warp Spider sculpts date back to second edition ;).

I'd be surprised if Harlequins are next.  If there are any xenos releases before Christmas, I would expect Eldar and/or Tau.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #75 on: August 23, 2017, 01:42:55 PM »
It'd really be a shame if most of the major factions didn't get their dexes by christmas time.

They did say the full run out could take two years and by Christmas is only a quarter of that.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline laucian_meliamne

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Don't Panic; It's Open-Source!
    • The Place Where I Put Stuff Online
« Reply #76 on: August 23, 2017, 02:53:23 PM »
The Warp Spider sculpts date back to second edition ;).

Right! My mistake. I knew they redid the Swooping Hawks for 3rd, and just assumed they'd redone the Spiders too. Whoops. In any case, can we agree that every Aspect Warrior unit except for Dire Avengers are long, long overdue for a plastic version?

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #77 on: August 23, 2017, 04:35:32 PM »
Pheonix Lord, warp spiders, shinging spear, technically the Avatar are all original sculpts. The rest of the infantry models have had atleast 1 revamp.

We know from the chapter approved info they released that Orks, Necron and Dark eldar will not get a book before christmas. It makes sense to rush out all the Marine flavours, there's really not much work needed to get those out the door vs an entirely different race.  There might be an CWE codex though as they seem to be moving around the fluff and recent model releases, Gulliman, Mangus, Crawl, etc So a sisters dex could also be close by. Frankly given how quickly they are pumping these out I don't know why they just don't give us the release order.

There's what 30 codexes to produce, 10 in the first 6 months, so maybe 18-24 months to get through all of them. Atleast the armies with out a dex will be getting annual updates.

• Ancient
« Reply #78 on: August 23, 2017, 06:56:50 PM »
So, according to leaks, this is the release schedule for the rest of the year.

Death Guard Sept 23
Ad Mech and Tau October 7th
Tyranids and Blood Angels November 11th
Necrons and Thousand Sons December 9th

So, my guess is that every release after Death Guard will be only books (as they would only have new models with single faction releases like Death Guard and Marines).

No Eldar, but this does give good hope that elder could be a bigger release next year with new kits. If elder was one of these books, then they'd get no new kits.

I've also heard rumours that Imperial Guard will be getting a new line of infantry plastics, probably Steel Legion.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #79 on: August 23, 2017, 08:44:39 PM »
"Since Warhammer 40,000: Dark Imperium was launched, we have released several codexes, but there are still plenty of Factions – Orks, Drukhari, Necrons etc. – that don’t yet have a codex of their own. Chapter Approved gives these players a sneak peek of what many of these factions can expect when their codex is released "

hmm kind of wounder if chapter approved it going to FAQ the Necron codex then lol.