News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: My new hormagaunt varient!!!!  (Read 1324 times)

Offline high-avatar

• It has come for you
My new hormagaunt varient!!!!
« on: November 11, 2002, 06:36:00 AM »
This is fun!! hormagants with strengh and Initive 4 and bio plasma!!!! hehe 16 points called dracoguants! untried how do you think they will do!!!
Everything that has a begining must have an end, I see the end I see the Darkness spreading I see Death.

Offline Arcas

• Aksho Tzeeneth Phaos
  • Ancient
Re:My new hormagaunt varient!!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2002, 06:43:49 AM »
It is way too expensive, not worth the points. Better get more normal hormagaunts (or gargoyles, who are better at all). With their numbers their punch will be at least the same, but they will have more wounds for the opponent to kill - a 16pts T3 W1 Sv6+ model has a "shoot me!" sign on its forehead.

jwu

Offline Andie

• Two, one, one, two.
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2002, 08:34:40 PM »
too many pts. and atleast give them leaping if your going to make them HtH troops.

Offline Alexander Falcorian

• Ancient
    • Eldaronline
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2002, 12:11:29 AM »
At 16 points, you might as well call them Targetgaunts. They just scream shoot me, and being Guants, they won't like that too much.  ;)
Into the fires of battle, unto the anvil of war! - Salamander Chapter Battle Cry

The whole point of naval fighting is to be able to go anywhere with every damned thing the Navy possesses. - Captain Grenfeld of the Hammer of Justice

You might as well try to catch starlight as bring the Eldar to battle.

Offline Hivemind

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2002, 01:24:05 AM »
Not to rain on your creativity, high-avatar, but I'd have to agree with the others who have posted here.  The problem with your hormagaunt idea is that they are more expensive than a space marine, but will not stand up to either shooting or cc like one.  Combine that with the 'shoot the big ones' rule and realize that you can't even screen them with cheaper gaunts.  They may work against an opponent who does not know how effective they are, but once your opponents learn about them they will die quickly.

Combine that with the fact that for the same number of points, you can get 16 'normal' hormagaunts.  48 str 3 attacks, vs 40 str 4 attacks on the charge.  Against a SM tac squad your looking at 8 successful wounds for the normal gaunts vs 10 wounds for your dracogaunts.  

Now consider that 10 marines with bolters will likely get 1 turn of shooting in and normally kill about 4 gaunts.  Then your looking at 36 normal attacks vs 24 dracogaunt attacks.  That comes to 6 wounds inflicted each on the charge.
The Tyranids are the most rapidly evolving race in the galaxy.  They are super-predators destined to hunt all others to extinction.