News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: new to tyranids, need army list reviewed...pretty cool army too  (Read 1291 times)

Offline attila the hun

• i have nothing better to do then spy on ppl. . . .
new to tyranids, need army list reviewed...pretty cool army too
« on: October 19, 2002, 06:57:21 PM »
hq

1-hive tyrant with venom cannon, rending claws,  implant aattck,extended carapace and +1 bs.
  =165pt
2-tyrant guard
    =90pt

heavy suppport

3-warriors-1 with scything talons and rending claws
                  =30pt
                  -1 with venomcannon and scything talons
                  =44pt
                  -1 with venomcannon and rending claws
    all with extended carapace 9 pt
  =131pt

1-carnifex with barbed strangler,scything talons,extended carapace and implant attack

=151 pt

elites

3 -warriors-all with wings, scything talons and rending claws
    =132pt

fast attack

6-raveners all with scything talons and rending claws
   =270pt

2-raveners with scything talons and rending claws
  =90pt
17-gargoyles
    =170pt

troops

10-h.gaunts,+1 strength, wings
     =150pt

10-h.gaunts with +1 strength and wings
   =150

total pt = 1501

yea, kinda fast, also i really like raveners and gargoyles, even though gargoyles blow...lol...tell me what u think and any ways i can improve my army

quickly!Shoot down the grav-tank....nevermind...

Offline The Hive Custodian (Retired)

• Primojanitor Paragon
  • Ancient
  • Perfection Within; Perfection Without
Re:new to tyranids, need army list reviewed...pretty cool army too
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2002, 11:39:20 PM »
Be aware that Gaunts and Warriors with Wings become Fast Attack. Therefore, remove the wings from your Gaunts. It's generally a poor choice to make winged Gaunts; Gargoyles generally are cheaper and more powerful. Plus, you don't have to pay for a Hive Node. You may want to drop Implant Attack; on big creatures, they tend to auto-kill, on small ones, they tend to be put against 1 Wound creatures. Your Heavy Support Warriors should all have Venom Cannons, and maybe wings. Get Scything Talons for your Tyrant instead of Rending Claws.

That's it for now. Good luck!
Calculus is an art, but algebra is attrition.

Offline jasper

• if you dont know, i cant tell you
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2002, 12:24:45 PM »
maybe with all the points you can trim, you could add a bunch of gaunts with spinefists, they are only 5 pts each....

Offline LukeMilk

• I am the stomach of the devourer of worlds.
« Reply #3 on: November 9, 2002, 11:16:21 AM »
in tournaments(I don't know if you play tournaments or if your interested, but they're pretty fun) they wont let you be 1 point over i.e. your 1501 point army list. you have to be exactly 1500 or a few points less. it sucks but its the rules.

by the way that guy is right, your gaunts are fast attack not troops, they are too many points and not enough of them. also if they dont have leaping they cant get thier full attacks in c.c. and then your vast numbers are useless (supporting attacks suck). having 32 hormagaunts charge a guy and quite possibly getting 96 attacks is amazing to kill anything.

I give my hormagaunts s4. that helps to kill marines. allot of people will tell you that 12 points for a hormagaunt is too much.... i don't know. my army has never officially lost a game.
I'm not going to let you walk all over me like this! ... the pavers aren't finished.

Offline Arcas

• Aksho Tzeeneth Phaos
  • Ancient
« Reply #4 on: November 9, 2002, 11:27:13 AM »
Welcome to EO and 40K.CA!

I did some math recently, the most effective gaunt is the also the cheapest gaunt. Of course, with toxin sacs your to wound chance will increase 50%, but you will be less in numbers and more vulnerable. Including the lower numbers your punch will increase 25%, but you'll have 16.67 less wounds for the opponent to kill, so this isn't a that impressive improvement. In normal close combat it would be worth it, but before you reach it you suffer casualties by shooting - turning the statistical tide against you because you lose 12pts per casualty compared to 10 (or 6 per scythegaunt).

jwu

Offline Sensoth

« Reply #5 on: November 9, 2002, 10:46:23 PM »
wow i really like the way you used troops...about the FA warriors, he has a Hq slot left open and could put them there.

[shadow=purple,left,300]Travis[/shadow]

Offline Sensoth

« Reply #6 on: November 9, 2002, 10:47:28 PM »
wow i really like the way you used troops...about the FA warriors, he has a Hq slot left open and could put them there.

[shadow=purple,left,300]Travis[/shadow]

Offline Andie

• Two, one, one, two.
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2002, 09:44:36 AM »
I would give you tyrant at least one pair of scything talons. Then give him another pair of scything talons or rending claws if you really want them(I must admit getting 3d6 for armor penetration is nice). then give him warpblast. you get less shots but with the venom cannon your down 2 in str and can only glance.