News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Trench Board --> Hedgerow Board (7/3)  (Read 12640 times)

Offline Mr.Peanut (Turtleproof)

• Ride Like Lightning, Crash Like Thunder | Infinity Circuit | Pork Sword of Mod-Justice | Took the basket, nuts and lol | Good grief, ye hennie pennies
  • Ancient
  • Turtleposting At The Speed Of SHift
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Sigmarines, Chaos, Demons
Re: Trench Board --> Hedgerow Board
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2010, 11:52:29 AM »
The detail work is nice, I especially like the ruts by the bridge.

How does foliage prevent it from being playable?  As long as you don't pull a GW and make the foliage so dense that models can't be placed into it, you're golden.  I suggest forgetting about tall grass, though, unless you want to do the "sprite" method seen in video games, where grass is represented by a loose criss-cross of very thin stands of tall grass.  It may look convincing while still allowing models to be placed within it.  If you build trees and shrubs into the board, just make sure there is spacing between the plants to put models in, and put different color flock in the spaces that count as cover.

Otherwise, make the trees removable so that tanks can roll through them.

Alternatively, you could leave the tree stands separate.  You can make a detailed board that has open areas where terrain can be added or removed.
You are
What you do
When it counts
     -The Masao
"Getting what you want can be dangerous.

Offline Lt_PliskinAJ

• Captain
  • Thousands of troops one goal.
  • Armies: IG, DKOK, TAU, SM
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2010, 03:43:48 PM »
Well if I do static grass it will get trampled. I do like the idea of free standing trees and brush so they can be rearranged to fit your needs. At my local store has a bunch of aquarium plants on 60mm bases and its great as you get the coverage and still have model mobility. I do plan on making the board 'open' with no buildings and such. It will also make the board more mobile so I can stack the plates and keep all the trees and other things in a box or something.

This is similar to what I will go for. The edges of the fields are green while the centers are churned up.

Offline One Guy with a Meltagun

• C.A.S. - it's not just a transport, it's an AFV!
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2010, 03:45:46 PM »
Nice so far! Are you going to add some "Boccage" Terrain Features next to the smaller hedges?

One Guy
It's easy to smile when you have a squirrel's intellect. - Dylan Moran

The 898th Cromaryn is now set loose on the Fiction board.

Chimera Appreciation Society - To you it's a Target, to us it's a lifestyle!

Tactica:Chimera

The Rapid Life of Rapid Fire - Mechanized Guard

Offline Lt_PliskinAJ

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2010, 10:15:45 PM »
I hate to say it but I had to look up Boccage when you brought it up. I am familiar with it being called a wind break, or tree line. I think I will add some but I will make them removable so its easier to transport. It will make it look much better.

Right now its working on the foundation. I have to keep reminding myself foundation foundation foundation. Otherwise I would have some nice details on a crappy board. I figure the more work I put in the front end the better the final product will be.

I did have some progress. I laminated the whole board together and started gluing the hedgerows twogether. I also started working on the industrial sector.

Over all view.

Gave in and made some WWI trench action. I tied it into the ditch system.

I also broke ground on the industrial sector. I don't plan on adding any perminate buildings but a medium wall was planned.

Offline Mortalis

• Master of waste disposal
  • For Gondor.
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2010, 10:41:07 PM »
Muahahaha this is rather excellent.

I while back I began work on My own modular trench system but got distracted by another idiculously huge terrain piece I made which is now sitting i nthe cupboard doing very little.

Cookie if you can guess what it is. Start's with 'S' :D

Anyways I love the trench work looks nice. I can just see it..lots of balsa wood firesteps...razor wire :D:D

So Exciting MORE PICTURES!

~Morty TG

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2010, 04:29:05 AM »
It really looks like its coming along nicely...

Just so you know - Boccage is effectively the bushes and shrubs lining fields. They were a significant feature of the french landscapes of WW2 where they towered high over the narrow roadways. In fact, the original WW2 "dozer blades" were invented and employed to push through this.

Offline m3talh3llth

• Ork Boy
  • Lando was a narc!
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2010, 12:32:40 AM »
wow, that looks really amazing

what did you use to to get the craters?
Nothing to lose, everything to gain

Offline Lt_PliskinAJ

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2010, 01:03:27 AM »
The craters were much simpler then I thought they would be. It was basically done in 4 steps.

1. I took my dremel and bored out a stepped rough shape of the crater. If you have ever seen a strip mine that is basically what I did. The smaller ones I just drilled in with my bit to make them uniform in size.

2. I then took some my sanding pad and smoothed it out until it basically looked like I scooped it out with a spoon.

3. I took a file (I used a triangle file) and roughed out the crater again. I went in one direction, out from the center. It helped make a realistic shape to scaring. I occasionally dug in with the tip of the file to rip out a chunk of the foam to keep it from being uniform.

4. At this point it looks really nasty with all sorts of foam chunks barley holding on. I went over the crater with a large 1.5" brush to remove the chunks. Then went back over lightly with the sanding pad to smooth it out again.

Then you have a crater.

Mortalis I'm guessing sewers.

It really looks like its coming along nicely...

Just so you know - Boccage is effectively the bushes and shrubs lining fields. They were a significant feature of the french landscapes of WW2 where they towered high over the narrow roadways. In fact, the original WW2 "dozer blades" were invented and employed to push through this.

Ok, that is what I kinda thought I just thought of them as the hedgerows.

Offline Lt_PliskinAJ

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: May 6, 2010, 01:42:08 PM »
IT ISN"T DEAD!

I finally got back into the swing of things and finished sanding the whole table.

I have found that my guest room bed works as a fabulous base for the table.

Now my next step is painting. I would love to paint this thing with my airbrush but I have no idea what paints I can run through it that are not a few ounces of paint. Does anyone know of any bulk paints that are good in airbrushes?

Offline Mortalis

• Master of waste disposal
  • For Gondor.
« Reply #29 on: May 7, 2010, 02:54:20 AM »
Looks like its really progressing well :)

I like the tone you have used for your earth it looks sweet as.

~Morty TG

Offline Lt_PliskinAJ

• Captain
« Reply #30 on: May 8, 2010, 12:08:03 PM »
Yeah well sand kinda has that earth color to them. The problem was the bright pink showing through. I managed to basecoat the board. I used some cheap apple barrel paints in about a 90% water to 10% paint mixture and mixed the hell out of it so it basically formed an ink. I put it in my single stage airbrush as it had a large enough orifice to pass some of the larger chunks of the paints.

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #31 on: May 8, 2010, 03:29:28 PM »
good progress,

Its clear you've spent some time ensuring that the trenches all meet the centre of the respective panel edge. It would be interesting to see a series of pictures outlining some of the possible combinations for the board sections. (i know that its not exactly a key point at this time, but mainly out of interest)

Offline Only Slightly Crazy

• Those Damm commies! Impurifing our bodily fluids!
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2010, 10:53:19 PM »
Looks.... wonderfull! Cant wait to see it done and drool over it.
DISCLAMER! Any thing offensive can be considered a joke in bad taste. Thank you!

Offline Critically_Hit

• Now likes bolters...
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2010, 05:45:16 AM »
I think I'm actually liking the blue/grey tone better than the dirt. Of course it might hamper that WW1 feeling... But damn that's a beautiful gaming board!
In case of doubt, duck! Hit the ground... Though not a tactical advantage per sé, it does make you feel safer for a couple of seconds

Offline KBelleau

• "Victory to the Saim-Hann"
    • Riders of the Cosmic Serpent
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2010, 03:58:04 PM »
That is looking great! is it possible to see it in different configurations?... i know lots of work... :)

Offline Gerald_Tremblay

« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2010, 07:13:44 PM »
Looks.... wonderfull! Cant wait to see it done and drool over it.
QFT

Inspiring work really!
“There are no atheism in foxholes” isn’t an argument against atheism, it’s an argument against foxholes.  – James Morrow

Quote from: Mr.Peanut about gambling
How your blood burns each time the Arrow Game dealer returns to each Zelda game, taking rupees in exchange for LIES!

Quote from: jawmonkey about rulelawying
This is why no Imperial force is complete without the addition of full-sized brass knuckles.

Offline Semaj_14

• "I don't need Luck, I have Flamers!"
« Reply #36 on: June 7, 2010, 09:30:20 AM »
Ive got to make some of this now. I think it would be amazng to have a trench board. although my marines dont usually stand around in trenches and games ive played against people who have stood in the trences have been overwhelmed.  Still plan on makin it thogugh.
"Through the Fires of battle Unto the Anvil of war!"

"When In doubt Just add More Melta!"

Offline Lt_PliskinAJ

• Captain
« Reply #37 on: June 7, 2010, 10:26:57 AM »
Sorry for not posting but I haven't really had a chance to pull out the board and rearrange it and take pics. I picked up some paint at home depot and I'm prob going to finish painting it in the next month or so. I'm just really busy right now.

As for the trenches they aren't so big you have to use them. If you need to you can easily ignore them but I have had my friend that plays my space marines go to the trenches plenty of times when I rain plasma death and battle cannons on him.  :)

Yeah we have found out that we mainly use them as covered paths to get place to place.

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #38 on: June 7, 2010, 01:02:22 PM »
Great Looking board BTW...

Here are some suggestions/ comments.

1.... Re-arrange the board one time for each set of pictures as you progress the project. That way its not much re-arranginign for you but we get to see some variety as you progress.

2.... Cut little inserts the shape of the trenches (I have seen this done as the initial trenches are being cut out) so you can just throw them back in place if a trench is not desired (re-levels the field)... adding a top section of cereal box carboard with area terrain even hides the seams, etc... And different inserts can be made to have different effects such a stream, etc.

3.... Go to places like Home Depot and look for mis-tinted paint... you can often get it dirt cheap, and re-tint to a decent colour if needs be.

4.... Work faster, Yes we are very interesting in seeing this completed as its a fine looking project.

Cheers
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline SnipingSnowman

• If this were a contest for rolling ones..
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2010, 07:32:13 AM »
As a suggestion, could you make the trenches deeper? Although it's probably too late now.. The idea being that none of the models heads would stick up over the top..

Or, between the trenches put down hills or forests or something, effectively forcing you to play the entire game in the trenches! ^.^ THAT would be the definition of claustrophobic gaming..

Flamers galore! ;D
~Ss