News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Confused but shouldn't be - Pathfinders  (Read 1506 times)

Offline Triamp

Confused but shouldn't be - Pathfinders
« on: September 19, 2008, 08:33:13 AM »
Firstly be gentle, I think this confusion has arisen from a guy I was playing against not wanting to take to big a hit and me not forcing the point (due to lack of experience) but:
Eldar pathfinders rolling to hit get AP1 on 5's and 6's, these then wound (at ap1)on a 4 or above?
Throwing a 3 or 4 to hit then gets the chance of rending on a 6 (ap2) to wound or wound as normal on 4 & 5?
The ap1's remain ap1's and the rends as ap2's

thanx in advance

Offline Defenestratus

• RAWRR!
Re: Confused but shouldn't be - Pathfinders
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 08:44:46 AM »
if you roll a 5 or 6 to hit, pick up those dice and roll them, any 4+'s wound at AP1

if you roll a 3 or 4 to hit, pick up those dice and roll them, any 4,5's wound at ap -, and any 6's rend (at AP2)

Offline Hawaiian Zombie

• What's worse then zombies? Zombies on fire!
  • Armies: Necrons, Tau, Crimson Fists
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 08:47:12 AM »
Eldar pathfinders rolling to hit get AP1 on 5's and 6's, these then wound (at ap1)on a 4 or above?

Correct

Throwing a 3 or 4 to hit then gets the chance of rending on a 6 (ap2) to wound or wound as normal on 4 & 5?

This isn't quite right. The AP1 hits still have the chance to rend if you roll a 6 on the to wound roll as nothing in the rules stop them, this then (rather oddly) knocks them back down to AP2. This is my reading of it since you become AP1 when you roll to hit but when the hit rends on the wound roll it counts as Ap2 (page 31), anyone want to weigh in?.

Example:
5 pathfinders shoot: You roll a 1,3,4,5,6. This gives you:
-1 miss.
-2 Ap1 hits which wound on a 4+ but rend if you roll a 6.
-2 regular hits that wound on a 4+ but rend on a 6.
I'm going to tell you what I tell every Dark Angels player. Keep your awesome models and your great background, accept that GW secretly hates you and just play with the rules from the new dex

Offline 2quiet

• Infinity Circuit
  • BOOOOOOOOM...."yes, that red button..."
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 09:01:41 AM »
I believe you use the most favorable result. So if your 5/6 to hit gets a 6 to wound, its still at AP1.

Its kind of like if you have a marine has a 5+ cover save, it does not have to use it over its normal save. It gets to choose.
Some of my favorites:

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day- Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

I lay in bed last night looking up at the stars in the sky, and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling?

It matters not whether you win or lose; what matters is whether I win or lose

If ther's something you can deffinetely rely on it's gotta be- oh, theres not

Offline Gutstikk

• Infinity Circuit | Title here to be dreaded 'til further notice. Rummy's Deepstriking Pylon
  • Ancient
  • I am a Wolf.
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 09:08:25 AM »
Actually you don't get to choose, but AP1 and AP2 have no difference vs infantry. And rending vs tanks does not make the shot AP2 at all, so the AP1 effect would add +1 to the damage vs tanks.