News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Farsee on jetbike and their powers.  (Read 5052 times)

Offline Carl

Farsee on jetbike and their powers.
« on: July 17, 2008, 07:33:12 AM »
Can farseers still use their powers if they move "flat out"? If not how far can they move and still use their powers?

Offline Lonewolf

• Cthulhu cultist, The Final Solution | Swarmlord | Staff Soap Spotter
  • Ancient
  • Murdering armies since 2003 - retired since 2012
Re: Farsee on jetbike and their powers.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 07:41:40 AM »
Guide, fortune and Doom are used at the beginning of the turn, so your speed dosent matter. Eldritch Storm and Mindwar are shooting attacks and are to be treated as such.

No problem, I'll give you a 100% increase in pay effective immediately and retroactive to 1999.

Offline Carl

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 08:20:59 AM »
Thanks.  That is all I ned to know.

Offline Hypopheralcus

• What's for lunch?
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 08:33:43 AM »
I'm afraid this is not allowed:

BRB p.76
so they cannot move through difficult terrain, shoot, launch
assaults or execute any other voluntary action in the same turn.

Offline Gutstikk

• Infinity Circuit | Title here to be dreaded 'til further notice. Rummy's Deepstriking Pylon
  • Ancient
  • I am a Wolf.
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 09:42:06 AM »
Additionally, moving flat out is a vehicle movement mode. Jetbikes make use of the Turbo-Boosters special rule, which denies the use of powers as stated in Jago's post.

Offline Lonewolf

• Ancient
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 11:17:51 AM »
Additionally, moving flat out is a vehicle movement mode. Jetbikes make use of the Turbo-Boosters special rule, which denies the use of powers as stated in Jago's post.

But he can still use those "at the start of the turn" powers, cant he?

No problem, I'll give you a 100% increase in pay effective immediately and retroactive to 1999.

Offline Defenestratus

• RAWRR!
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 11:25:00 AM »
he hasn't moved yet.  He can use them (doom, fortune, guide).

Anyone that says you can't should be called a silly goose.

Offline Killing Time

• Infinity Circuit | I put out on the first date | Tarrin's Sullied Cunning Stunt Double
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Brevior saltare cum deformibus mulieribus est vita
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 11:30:45 AM »
From the wording I'd have to say no.
Using a voluntary action at the start of the turn invalidates the turboboost.

Dizzy

Offline Gwaihir

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 11:36:00 AM »
Basically performing that voluntary action at the start of the turn, makes him inelligible to turboboost.  It is the power that prevents the boost rather than the boost which prevents the power.

Read the story behind custom titles and tell us about yours.

"You cannot win tommorow, for you do not know why we fight today."  --Farseer Fa'alorath, Craftworld Fa'alnor-The Fate Weavers.

Offline Lonewolf

• Ancient
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 11:37:11 AM »
From the wording I'd have to say no.
Using a voluntary action at the start of the turn invalidates the turboboost.

Dizzy

Hmm, i really need that rulebook... September is still so long off  :P

Offline Defenestratus

• RAWRR!
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 11:42:57 AM »
I'm glad I don't play with you people.

That's a SERIOUS nerf that you're basically caving into.

Offline Killing Time

• Infinity Circuit | I put out on the first date | Tarrin's Sullied Cunning Stunt Double
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Brevior saltare cum deformibus mulieribus est vita
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 11:45:33 AM »
Basically performing that voluntary action at the start of the turn, makes him inelligible to turboboost.  It is the power that prevents the boost rather than the boost which prevents the power.
Exactly

I'm glad I don't play with you people.

That's a SERIOUS nerf that you're basically caving into.

It's the rules. Recognising that the new ones are not the same as the old ones can hardly be called caving in.
It's called not cheating.

Dizzy

Offline Defenestratus

• RAWRR!
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 11:53:12 AM »
Well, in addition to falcons sitting on the shelf, there go my shining spears (with attached fortuneseer).

After not understanding what people were talking about on this thread, I went back to the turbo boost rule and saw it for myself.  Begrudingly I have to agree.

Offline Carl

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2008, 12:18:50 PM »
ARRRRRGH! >:(  I just did up a Farseer on a jetbike.  Well, no big deal I will still use him although he won't be as effective :-\.  I'm glad I asked the question and rules are rules so I can understand why it is the way it is.  Just not a big fan of it.

Offline Gutstikk

• Infinity Circuit | Title here to be dreaded 'til further notice. Rummy's Deepstriking Pylon
  • Ancient
  • I am a Wolf.
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2008, 02:20:49 PM »
A fortuneseer will still be quite useful, even on a jetbike. Just because it is somewhat less useful is no reason to dismiss it out of hand. I find the 5e rules to actually make the jetbike seer with fortune more important, as the extra 6" movement the bike gives him lets him keep up with units near the front that will need fortune to stay in the fight.

Offline Lonewolf

• Ancient
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2008, 02:30:11 AM »
Hmm, now that i have finally nicked the rulebook from a friend, i wonder how we arrived at the conclusion, that fortune, guide or doom can not be done, when the farseer intends to turbo boost.

Things the model in question is not allowed to do:

- may not move through difficult terrain (irrelevant)
- may not shoot (irrelevant, since neither guide nor fortune nor doom are shooting powers)
- may not attack (irrelevant)
- may not take cover (irrelevant)

I see no reason, why a farseer shouldnt be allowed to use his psychic powers and turbo boost, as long as those are no shooting attacks. Am i missing something?

Offline rax

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2008, 08:30:57 AM »
Hmm, now that i have finally nicked the rulebook from a friend, i wonder how we arrived at the conclusion, that fortune, guide or doom can not be done, when the farseer intends to turbo boost.

- may not shoot (irrelevant, since neither guide nor fortune nor doom are shooting powers)

I see no reason, why a farseer shouldnt be allowed to use his psychic powers and turbo boost, as long as those are no shooting attacks. Am i missing something?

You skipped the last part of the sentence on p. 76 describing what turbo-boosting bikes cannot do. It says, specifically, that they cannot execute any other voluntary action in the same turn. Page 9 of the rulebook states that the word 'turn' always means 'player turn' unless a rule specifies 'game turn'. The rules for psykers (p. 50) state that psykers can use "one psychic power per player turn". Page 28 of the Eldar codex also states that psychic powers are used "at the start of the Eldar turn".

Since using a psychic power is clearly a voluntary action, turbo-boosting also prohibits the use of Doom, Fortune or Guide, which are all used during the same player turn as the turbo-boost.

Cheers - Rax
Death spinners. Because size does matter.

Offline Deathklok

• Bad Trader, scam artist, not to be trusted. BANNED
  • Finally, I got BANNED
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2008, 09:03:06 AM »
Yes, definitely no powers and TBing allowed.

Although you can always TB the Spears, move the Fortuneseer 12"+6" (assault phase move) and still be in range to Fortune them next turn.
And so, after much wait, BANNED

Offline Lonewolf

• Ancient
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2008, 11:01:46 AM »

You skipped the last part of the sentence on p. 76 describing what turbo-boosting bikes cannot do. It says, specifically, that they cannot execute any other voluntary action in the same turn.

Cheers - Rax

Uhm, maybe i am blind, but there is no such sentence in my (German) book on page 76 under the turbo boost headline...

What it says is:

Units on bikes and jetbikes may ignite their turbo boosters to move with extreme speed. When they use that special rule, they may move in their movement phase up to 24 inches. Controlling their bikes at such speeds takes much contentration and skill, thus, in the same turn, they cant move through difficult terrain, shoot, charge, nor freely take cover.

In the following hostile shooting phase, every model, that has used its turbo boosters, gets a 3+ coversave, to show the difficulties of hitting such a fast target, and they pass automatically every pinning test. A unit, that uses turbo boost, must end its movement at least 18 inches away from its starting point, to get the coversave, since it is based on flat out speed.

Thats all the whole tubo boost rule says in my book.

Offline Defenestratus

• RAWRR!
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2008, 11:12:08 AM »
So German farseers are much more adept at casting powers than their English-speaking bretheren.

Awesome.