News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Wave Serpents in 5th  (Read 3450 times)

Offline flipONE

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Wave Serpents in 5th
« on: July 16, 2008, 08:12:43 PM »
Just an interesting thought, wasn't sure if anyone else posted this but, Wave Serpents ramming vehicles will only take a STR8 hit on return.

Suicide Eldar here we come?

Offline stezerok

• Infinity Circuit
  • For Jason Lezak, and the Missing Photo Op...
Re: Wave Serpents in 5th
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 08:32:03 PM »
Just an interesting thought, wasn't sure if anyone else posted this but, Wave Serpents ramming vehicles will only take a STR8 hit on return.

Suicide Eldar here we come?

Nope. Pg. 45 Eldar Codex, Energy Field: "Any ranged attack against the Wave Serpent from the front or side arc..."

This one has already been tossed around. Either way it doesn't really matter, but I have been hearing some people using both Tank Shock and Ramming to good effect. Though they were not relying on it as a basis for their army, they were just being aggressive with their vehicles when the time came.

Good Hunting,
-Stezerok

Offline Gwaihir

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 09:03:39 PM »
Gotta agree with Stezerok here.  It only works on ranged attacks and is useless in cc and against ramming.

Still, the serpent has enough speed to outflank the enemy and position to ram from the side.  Also if it has scorpions and star engines it could come flying in from the flanks at high speed to smash one or more enemy tanks depending on how you line things up.  Ramming with serpents should be useful.

Read the story behind custom titles and tell us about yours.

"You cannot win tommorow, for you do not know why we fight today."  --Farseer Fa'alorath, Craftworld Fa'alnor-The Fate Weavers.

Offline TheEldarGuy

• Infinity Circuit
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 12:46:39 AM »
If you work it right, you can get 2 Rams happenning of S7 apiece... that ought to be some consolation.

I'm a little iffy on how fast a Skimmer moves, but if we assume 12" then that's +4, +1 for Tank, +2 for AV bonus. if you hit an AV10 opponent that responds with a S4 hit in return.

Imagine lining up a squad of Landspeeders... what a laugh that will be.

Offline syth773

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 01:42:32 AM »
skimmers can still move 24 inches when moving flat out, check the skimmers section in the rulebook.  so by moving 21 inches a wave serpent can get a S10 attack.  I will be using wave serpents far more than falcons in 5th ed, less expensive and generally more useful in most situations.  drop off troops to do their thing and then either shoot (if you have it set up to shoot) or go off tank ramming.  the fact that dedicated transports can transport other units other than the one they are assigned to is also very useful (moving that groups of warlocks and farseers for example).

Offline TheEldarGuy

• Infinity Circuit
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 02:51:28 AM »
The part I'm iffy on (or beginning to get upset at) is if a Skimmer moves 12" or 18"

I get a Fast Skimmer moves 24", and in the Fast section it states that being Fast adds 6" to the Cruise Speed to become Flat Out.

I'm suspecting that the general consensus is that Skimmers only move 12", which upsets me because a Land Raider on a Road is faster than my Vehicle that ignores all terrain (including Roads) at Cruise Speed.

Anyway, Serpents are able to carry any unit that can fit, so it opens up the Serpents to become true transports. "Arriving soon: Air Eldar - Landing in an open space near you!"

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 04:25:44 AM »
Ramming works great for us. I saw it used on the release night and it was great. The one mthing that caught our eyes in the new book is that it says nowhere that you can't disembark if you moved over 12". The cover saves that most vehicles will get in the 5th ed is also very effective as well as the new damage chart.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 05:16:36 AM »
I'm suspecting that the general consensus is that Skimmers only move 12", which upsets me because a Land Raider on a Road is faster than my Vehicle that ignores all terrain (including Roads) at Cruise Speed.

A standard skimmer can travel 12" yes. So that's Tau skimmers basically.
A fast skimmer (all Eldar skimmers) can travel flat out at 24".

the new book is that it says nowhere that you can't disembark if you moved over 12"

Check again. Page 70 under "Fast transport vehicles". No disembarking if vehcile has moved flat out.

Offline Minsc

• Ork Boy
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 07:57:10 AM »

For your opponent perhaps.
Skimmers can 'jump' when they're getting rammed, and if they succeed (3+) your ramming tank will stop moving immediately.
Plastic Modell + Acetone = Ugly Conversion

Offline havick

• It helps to be a little crazy.
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 12:42:09 PM »

For your opponent perhaps.
Skimmers can 'jump' when they're getting rammed, and if they succeed (3+) your ramming tank will stop moving immediately.

That is only if the ramming tank is not a skimmer. Skimmer on skimmer there is no 'Jump'
"Click to feed me !!!!"

Offline Minsc

• Ork Boy
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 03:41:13 PM »
I stand corrected!
Must've missed that small scentence when I was reading trough the "skimmer jump" section.
Plastic Modell + Acetone = Ugly Conversion

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2008, 01:13:47 AM »

A standard skimmer can travel 12" yes. So that's Tau skimmers basically.
A fast skimmer (all Eldar skimmers) can travel flat out at 24".

the new book is that it says nowhere that you can't disembark if you moved over 12"

Check again. Page 70 under "Fast transport vehicles". No disembarking if vehcile has moved flat out.

Thanks for this. We were pretty tired that night and missed it. Again thanks.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline TheEldarGuy

• Infinity Circuit
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2008, 06:45:48 AM »
From memory, it states that you can't Flat Out move if you load OR unload.

So not just dropping off, but picking up also.

Apart from that, I've been thinking of ways to get squads to VP locations with a couple of Serpents within two or three turns - what sort of distance apart, manging the ranges and so on.

Same in reverse, two Serpents and squads of Banshees, Dire Avengers and whatever else lined up to move to the Front.

Offline flipONE

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2008, 03:41:13 PM »
Thanks for the clarifications on the ramming rules, including the 'jump' escape.

~regards.