News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Warwalkers in 5e?  (Read 2124 times)

Offline Carl

Warwalkers in 5e?
« on: July 14, 2008, 01:41:58 PM »
I did a search and didn't find much.  Let me first start off by saying I would like to run 2 squads of 1-2 WW.

I wanted some help picking out some weapons.

Squad 1: Star cannon and BL
Squad 2: Shuriken Cannon and SL

What do you think or are there any other combos that will perform well in 5e?

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
Re: Warwalkers in 5e?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 02:03:12 PM »
the weapons you choose are less about the 5th edition rules and more about the role they need to fill.

war walkers should be great under the new rules set... and being able to use scout or a flank move will mean that they are useful for anti tank roles. because they might be able spot rear or side armour due to it then any of the weapons will be a good buy.

unfortunately, its difficult to say that you should have a certain set up because it can vary depending on the rest of your army.

Offline nil

• I'm a grown man who plays with dolls. Pity me.
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 03:40:23 PM »
Why mix weapons?  Most people would consider a 2xBL WW and a 2XStarCan WW (in different units, of course) to be superior to 2 BL and StarCan WWs.  (If that's decipherable through all of the abbreviations....)

A lot of people avoid single shot weapons on BS3 platforms.  It's not like they're actually weaker-- they're just less predictable, more affected by randomness.  That might not matter to you.  A BL, on any platform, acts as an incentive for land raiders to stay out of LOS, usually out of proportion to the actual danger posed by that BL.

I would avoid starcannons unless you fight tons of terminators.  They're just too expensive.
Please visit my Eldar Pirate conversion project at http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=212375.msg2591462;topicseen#msg2591462-- yellow elf needs feedback badly!

Offline Farceseer Syranaul

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The Redux Dentist
  • Armies: The Buanneth Fhirin
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 04:09:27 PM »
Starcannons aren't just good for terminators any more.  Now they are good against things with Feel No Pain.  Nowadays there are many more with that special rule than before.  With the possibility of the Necron's We'll Be Back rule being traded for Feel No Pain.  Starcannons may become a necessity.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 11:47:40 PM by Farceseer Siranaul »
"Simple Changes, and Small Additions"
"It is easier to add something than to remove something."

Quote from: Starrakatt, LolDeer of Doom
So, maybe I'm being dense here

Offline Gwaihir

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 04:18:53 PM »
The single shot and low BS isn't the biggest problem with lances.  You talk about star cannons being expensive, but lances are more so.

I don't like mixing guns on walkers really.  The cheaper options are the better ones.  Scatter, Shuriken and EML all work well.  Shuriken should have enough range to hit a good target if you are coming in from the side with the scout move.

I was just thinking about something else with walkers.  They actually have the potential to really suprise a vehicle in HTH.  They get to hit the rear armor and would have 3 attacks each at S5 on the charge.  This is enough to penetrate the rear armor of most vehicles.  Two or three walkers charging in would have a decent chance of destroying many vehicles in HTH.  I would love to see a walker scout in and kick a lemun russ apart. ;D

Read the story behind custom titles and tell us about yours.

"You cannot win tommorow, for you do not know why we fight today."  --Farseer Fa'alorath, Craftworld Fa'alnor-The Fate Weavers.

Offline Lonewolf

• Cthulhu cultist, The Final Solution | Swarmlord | Staff Soap Spotter
  • Ancient
  • Murdering armies since 2003 - retired since 2012
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 04:56:56 PM »
I have tested ww now a bit. 3 walkers with EMLs in 4+ cover with fortune and guide, and 3 with shuricannons using flankmarch. Has worked great until now. 6 guided frag missiles eat through most hordes, while 6 guided krak missiles take out a good chunk of MEQs every turn. And they are quite hard to kill with rerollable 4+ cover saves. The Flank marching walkers do a good job at annoying your opponent. Maybe i will exchange those emls with starcannons for test purposes.

No problem, I'll give you a 100% increase in pay effective immediately and retroactive to 1999.

Offline Galadhar

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 11:37:04 AM »
oh how i would love to  see a couple of walkers kick a leman russ to scrap! I must do this at least once, stratagy be damned!

but on the point I'd agree the cheaper weapons are better, scats and EML for sitting back and shuri cannons for flanking and hitting the rear armour. I allways thought vypers were awesome simply for flanking and rear armour bashing but 6 s6 shots at (prob) AV10 might see me getting even more walkers and playing them in both roles.

first person who stamps on anything with AV14 let me know!

Offline Twowhealz

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 05:02:43 PM »
In a 4th ed Apoc game, my squad of 3 bright lance walkers took out an ork stompa in one volley.  All six lances hit (guide) and each one penetrated.  Most amazing thing I've ever seen in a game of warhammer.  My 270 point squad of walkers took out a 650 point titan.  Of course, the walkers were scrapped on my opponent's next turn when he decided that he didn't want to loose any other vehicles to them (15 lootas shooting 3 times each eats through a lot.)

I'm a big fan of walkers, though I rarely use them.  In smaller games where I know I won't have to worry about a ton of tanks and things I'll take them.  But, if I know there's going to be a lot of points for anti tank weapons, I probably won't take them.  Granted, it doesn't take much to kill a walker...

~edit~

I just realized that my post doesn't have anything to do with the topic of the post, so I'll add a bit more than a cool story.

I don't think that the walker's role has changed much.  Starcannons kill most anything, and with 12 shots, you can expect 5 or 6 kills from the walkers.  It was that way in 4th, and I think it's that way in 5th as well.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 05:06:11 PM by Twowhealz »
Record: (since I've started keeping track)
Eldar: Finally beat the nids!
Total wins: 25
Ties: 7
Losses: 11

Offline Carl

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 05:29:48 PM »
Twowhealz:  Nice job! 

I just did one w/ 2 Scatter Lasers.  It would be easier if there was an easy way to magnetize these guys.  Ayone know a good way to do it?

Offline nesbitt_bub1

• Infinity Circuit
  • Stop looking at my AVATAR, read what i did write!!
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 07:54:52 PM »
with the new ones you can just pin them... there's plenty to go at on the bottom of the guns and the little cups they sit in.

Personally i love WW. I may even have to buy another 3 for use in mission where i'm expecting to outflank things. For me they may be a very nice vibro cannon replacement. EML is probably going to be my fave setup. long range, decent anti tank decent ap, and with all those blasts that you have to count all the hits for together then roll to wound they may be just as effective as scatters. Remember no partials so 6 shots hitting between 1 and 5 models. i know people with math hammer it and it's not as relaiable as a scatter. but by my reconing thats going to be between 10 and 15 wounds if your averaging.... with better ap.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 07:58:17 PM by nesbitt_bub1 »

Offline Carl

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 08:10:39 PM »
I like that pinning idea.  I will try that tomorrow.

Offline LSM

• The Inner Geek
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 09:28:42 AM »
I just use small rare earth magnets. All my Edlar Heavy weapons are magnetized and interchangeable between WW, WL, and support platforms...