News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Ramming falcon with star engines  (Read 5452 times)

Offline wannaBmoy

• Monstrous Creature IRL
Ramming falcon with star engines
« on: July 13, 2008, 08:50:42 PM »
so let's say falcon with star engines moves 36", it could confer a strength 15 hit on its target?

+12 for 36"
+2 for av 12
+1 for tank

or is this hit only movement phase distance.  sooo ...

+8 for 24"
+2 for av12
+1 for tank
"Those giraffes you sold me, they won't mate. They just walk around, eating, and not mating. You sold me... queer giraffes. I want my money back." - Proximo (Gladiator)

Offline Minsc

• Ork Boy
Re: Ramming falcon with star engines
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 08:57:18 PM »
Strenght 10 is the highest Strenght you can obtain in 40k. (S10 requires a 21-24" ram move)
Also, Star Engines are used in the Shooting phase, while you Ramm in the Movement phase.

Plastic Modell + Acetone = Ugly Conversion

Offline wannaBmoy

• Monstrous Creature IRL
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 09:04:48 PM »
Strenght 10 is the highest Strenght you can obtain in 40k. (S10 requires a 21-24" ram move)
Also, Star Engines are used in the Shooting phase, while you Ramm in the Movement phase.

Thanks for clarifying that for me!
"Those giraffes you sold me, they won't mate. They just walk around, eating, and not mating. You sold me... queer giraffes. I want my money back." - Proximo (Gladiator)

Offline Exarch11

• Huntsville Alabama Area War Gaming Society
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 12:14:46 AM »

Where in the book does it say that? Did I miss it?
We ruled the stars when your kind were dragging themselves out if the ocean, yet you still dare to oppose our will?

Offline syth773

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 02:05:34 AM »
look under raming, it says it takes place during the movement phase.  Also, when raming remember that your vehicle is also taking damage, quite possibly more damage than you do to the enemy if the amor side you hit is greater than yours.

I would say go with waveserpents for raming.  Drop their load off and then go to town on enemy vehicles.  It's less expensive and with the falcon when you ram you probably wont be shooting your weapons because of your high movement, which makes the falcon a bit of a waste in that respect.

Offline myles

• Lazerous Penguin
  • This is my game face
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 02:15:09 AM »

Minor point, but you're wrong.

Star engines take their effect in the movement phase, they increase the move distance of the vehicle using them.

Their use precludes certain actions in the shooting phase, but this does not mean that they are used in the shooting phase at all.
The first problem is the creation of meaningless e-personas. Such personas are undesirable because they lead users to prejudge a post and its content based on their impressions of the author. One is predisposed to criticize a perfectly legitimate comment or praise a stupid one simply because of preconceived notions about who wrote it. Anonymous posting avoids this situation by removing identity from the post, making any praise or criticism directed solely at the content.

Offline Deathklok

• Bad Trader, scam artist, not to be trusted. BANNED
  • Finally, I got BANNED
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 02:23:23 AM »
Star engines take their effect in the movement phase,

You would think so by the very clear description in the codex...but the recent FAQ says otherwise.

Thanks, Yakface it was clear before, now it makes no sense.  :-\
And so, after much wait, BANNED

Offline Big Bad Wolf

• nomnomnomnom
  • Armies: Space Wolves, Eldar, Dark Angels, Daemons
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 02:27:42 AM »
why must they use such obscure phrases such as lieu anyways... why not just say If X then Y. I've always read, and played, that star engines take place in the shooting phase, similar to jump pack moves or jetbike special moves.
Sunrise Village Games Workshop ~ Puyallup, WA
Home of the SunrisV Gaming Club
"Forever on the Dawn of War!"

Rule #2 - Double Tap

Offline myles

• Lazerous Penguin
  • This is my game face
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 04:52:40 AM »
Star engines take their effect in the movement phase,

You would think so by the very clear description in the codex...but the recent FAQ says otherwise.

Thanks, Yakface it was clear before, now it makes no sense.  :-\

Goodness, you're right, I missed that change. My mistake.

I love this sort of situation, it's such a crystal clear example of players just being completely unable to read and not understanding the concept that rules from last edition's codex don't carry over into the next edition's unless they're actually in the codex.

Players like that are the reason why GW ends up messing with stuff that is perfectly clear in their FAQs and ignoring stuff that actually needs a good resolution. ::)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 04:54:38 AM by myles »
The first problem is the creation of meaningless e-personas. Such personas are undesirable because they lead users to prejudge a post and its content based on their impressions of the author. One is predisposed to criticize a perfectly legitimate comment or praise a stupid one simply because of preconceived notions about who wrote it. Anonymous posting avoids this situation by removing identity from the post, making any praise or criticism directed solely at the content.

Offline finoro

• They couldn't hit a bull squiggoth at this range!
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 09:00:11 AM »
I would just like to point out that Falcons/Fire prisms are the best ramming vehicles in the game as they are still  the least likely to die from a single high strength hit.

Str 10 hit on the front will immobilise or worse only 17% of the time. So Star engines are still usefull for ramming as they allow you to reposition after the attack and so get you behind a wreck or at least get your rear armour away from the enemy.

Another note on ramming. Only tanks can ram. So no suicide Vypers.

And lastly a question. Since skimmers can move over other models can you choose to Tank shock/Ram some enemy and not others as you pass over them? Do you have to go through dangerous terrain or can you go over it as normal?
The farseers of the Eldar are rich in lore and know all the ways of skinning cats. Do not ask which way is best lest the knowledge burn your soul.

Offline scottdsp748

• My Coolminiornot.com Gallery
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 10:39:19 AM »
you give up your ability to shoot when you ram, hence you give up the ability to use star engines as well for that turn.

Offline Gwaihir

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2008, 11:08:00 AM »
This is wrong.  If this thinking were correct then star engines would be useless because you also give up your ability to shoot in order to move 24".  If you use star engines you can't shoot.  Being able to shoot isn't a prerequisite for using the star engines.

Read the story behind custom titles and tell us about yours.

"You cannot win tommorow, for you do not know why we fight today."  --Farseer Fa'alorath, Craftworld Fa'alnor-The Fate Weavers.

Offline scottdsp748

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2008, 11:19:05 AM »
good point, I stand corrected.

Offline Siriq

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2008, 12:43:36 PM »

The rules do not say that in the movement phase you can ram, its says when you move you can opt to ram.  The phase is never mentioned.  You are right about the S10 thing so star engines a moot point unless you can use them to ram twice

Offline Farceseer Syranaul

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The Redux Dentist
  • Armies: The Buanneth Fhirin
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2008, 04:21:47 PM »
The Eldar FAQ says that star engines are used in the shooting phase.
"Simple Changes, and Small Additions"
"It is easier to add something than to remove something."

Quote from: Starrakatt, LolDeer of Doom
So, maybe I'm being dense here

Offline Banik

• 5th Ed Record: W15-L3-D3
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2008, 01:49:33 PM »
look under raming, it says it takes place during the movement phase.

Actually, I believe this is incorrect. Under tank shock (which ramming follows the rules for), it says "When moving a tank," instead of "during the movement phase." And under ramming, it doesn't say movement phase either.

I just happened to see this topic- I wanted to chime in since there's a thread about it of mine in the rules forum.

On a side note, what pg says st11 is not allowed (or that str 10 is the highest) ?
Resident Calculator of Probability, as bestowed by The Reborn.

Fine wine, like fine blades, should be applied sparingly.

Offline scottdsp748

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2008, 01:56:06 PM »
look under raming, it says it takes place during the movement phase.

Actually, I believe this is incorrect. Under tank shock (which ramming follows the rules for), it says "When moving a tank," instead of "during the movement phase." And under ramming, it doesn't say movement phase either.

I just happened to see this topic- I wanted to chime in since there's a thread about it of mine in the rules forum.

On a side note, what pg says st11 is not allowed (or that str 10 is the highest) ?

The general rule is that no stat on a statline can ever go over 10 save attacks from bonus attack wargear etc.  However, the lack of mention of any cap on ram strength is certainly food for thought, as the only mention of a strength 10 limit is with regard to a unit or weapon's stats, not an effect of a ramming action.  Though I expect clarification would cap it at S10, i'd really like to see this in a FAQ soon.

Offline Gwaihir

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2008, 02:09:54 PM »
It doesn't seem to me that ramming really qualifies as being a stat, so I am not sure that it is not possible to go above S10 with ramming.  In fact, I think it is probably correct to state that ramming attacks can be more than S10.

Read the story behind custom titles and tell us about yours.

"You cannot win tommorow, for you do not know why we fight today."  --Farseer Fa'alorath, Craftworld Fa'alnor-The Fate Weavers.

Offline Banik

• 5th Ed Record: W15-L3-D3
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2008, 02:43:19 PM »
I agree that it's very interesting that no mention was made of a maximum str for the strength of the Ram- it could have been on purpose, or just an oversight.

Also, as to a 'general rule' I agree wholeheartedly, but in this edition, the rule's no longer there- an oversight, or purposefully left out?

Oh well, fun to think about!

Resident Calculator of Probability, as bestowed by The Reborn.

Fine wine, like fine blades, should be applied sparingly.

Offline scottdsp748

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2008, 03:33:05 PM »
On page 6 it is stated that "no modifier may raise any characteristic above 10 or lower it below 0"

I would infer from this that the strength of a ram cannot be modified to be greater than 10, but this is listed in the infantry statline section so that still leaves room for doubt.  My guess is GW will FAQ this to cap ramming at S10.