News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New Ork player, looking for tactics help  (Read 2102 times)

Offline Gazza

New Ork player, looking for tactics help
« on: June 18, 2008, 02:20:21 PM »
hey there, i'm looking to start an ork army to play with my firends, necrons, space marines and chaos space marines. They all told me that they would just mow my orks down and i would lose, is this true? or are there any tactics i can use to beat them? not too sure on their army lists

Also i think i'll be getting the battleforce to start off with and then buying more troops as and when i get the money, do you have any advise as what to get after the battleforce?

thanks in advance

Offline Bert_the_Turtle

• Major
  • Rule #1: Pillage THEN burn.
Re: New Ork player, looking for tactics help
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 02:38:16 PM »
An ork army can be a force to be reckoned with, just like any other army. Don't listen to their snide talk.

"You know the other team is f'd when we're using military hand signals to communicate  :P" -My Buddy Himitsu

Offline Banned Solorg

• WAAAAAAAaaaaaban...
  • Orks is never beaten. only banned
    • Tellyport to the Ork Board Now
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 02:39:19 PM »
hey there, i'm looking to start an ork army to play with my firends, necrons, space marines and chaos space marines. They all told me that they would just mow my orks down and i would lose, is this true? or are there any tactics i can use to beat them? not too sure on their army lists

Also i think i'll be getting the battleforce to start off with and then buying more troops as and when i get the money, do you have any advise as what to get after the battleforce?

thanks in advance

Hey Gazza,

These guyz are trying to play the psychological game with you.  We Orks can beat all those armies.  The beauty of it is that they all play the same sort of stuff - armies with LOTS of armor.  That means your job is to design an Ork Army that is good at taking out enemies with armor.

Once you get your hands on the new Ork Codex, you can begin the research.  Weapons with high AP value will be good to have.  Another good choice would be to try to outnumber these guys with a TON of Ork Boyz.  Why?  Well, Orks are only 6 pts each, so you can outnumber the enemy 2 to 1 or more.

How to kill armor (enemy troops)?  Power Klaws are nice, so take a Nob on every unit that you can and give him a Power Klaw.  Mega Blastas are nice, Flash Gitz also have high AP value.  You want AP2 or 3 whenever you can get it.  Use these weapons to soften the enemy, then charge all your Orks at that enemy.  That'll get him!

Your opponents may have more experience than you, but stick with us and we'll help you get your footing.  As mentioned, lots of Ork Boyz (I think in this case that Boyz with hand weapons and Sluggas will work best) and also lots of high AP weapons will be the way to start.  Also, get some Rokkitz because they will help you take out some tanks.  I am sure that they ALL have tanks.  Marines always seem to.  Power Klaws can take out tanks, too.  Bikers with Power Klaws can also be fun and kill tanks also.  They are a little tougher to use, but I mention it in case you happen to get some bikers in the Battleforce.

Vehicles are nice, but I suggest holding off on them for now.  That's because your Necron Friend can really toast them.  It isn't that they don't have their place, but I think you might want to establish your base force first.

The Battleforce has some nice models to get started with and experiment with in battle.  Play small games or play teams (2 on 2 battles) as you are learning.  They are great fun and will let you try what you have in battle.  Something you can consider buying later would be the Blackreach Starter Box.  It is coming soon and has lots of Ork Boyz for you.  The box also has marines, so you can buy it with a friend and split the minis.  This will also help you get some more Boyz for your army, but cheap!

Welcome to the GREEN SIDE!  I am sure the other greenskins will have more helpful ideas for you as well.

Solorg
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 02:42:03 PM by Solorg »
BANNED - because spamming catches up with you in the end.  Especially someone who uses a school server to host Orks and loli.

Orks iz BEST cause we were made to FIGHT and WIN

Offline Boss Zargore

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 03:13:59 PM »
They've got some good advice. I'd say grab your battleforce, and maybe some more basic ork boys too. Learn a bit about the game before you commit yourself to much of anything though. It's very easy for new players to get enamored with the idea of a model and how cool it is, but find out it may not be worth your time, or fit well with how you want to field your army.

Our latest codex has offered us plenty of new ways to field our boyz, (Like shooty orks, or mek orks) while keeping all our old ones, (Hoard swarm, speed freaks, etc.)

Be prepared to lose ork boyz in droves, and don't get dissapointed by it when you do. Orks tend to die at the slightest shot fired at them, but the idea is that despite your losses you'll still have boyz left, they just can't kill enough!

Offline EngeKomkommer

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 06:04:40 PM »
If thats what they play... load up on AP3 and power weapons.

Offline Joshiantor 98

• Ork Boy
  • Gir now also dances better than you!
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 02:33:42 PM »
If they think they can outgun you stick ten lootas on the field and that will shut them up. The only vechile ur gonna want to ttake is the trukk. Also finally if you dont mind potentially losing a game with your own model the Shokk Attack gun can be deadly.

Offline Indecisive, Spelled correctly!

• Grot
  • Black hand> SOB
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 02:46:41 PM »
Hehe wait till 5th edition and see what they say  ;)
like everyone else is saying you're going to lose units and likely alot of them
but dont be discourged! once the boyz hit the front line there will be absolute hell for the enemy to pay (if you get the charge and have choppas its likely no enemy units will be able to put out the same amount of attacks as you)
and yes like Solorg was saying it can be difficult for orks to take down some AV 14 vehicles but if you make the right selection they can be at most a nuisence
I would personally take loota's and rokkits over burna boyz since the latter will get shot up nicely before they get in range (in my experiance with shooty armies)

Offline Banned Solorg

• WAAAAAAAaaaaaban...
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 02:50:03 PM »
If thats what they play... load up on AP3 and power weapons.

Good thinking.  Burna Boyz would be great for this role since they count as having Power Weapons.  Yes, they are vulnerable to being shot.  But wow, they can perform if you can make 'em live.  Maybe better to keep them in mind for later since using them takes a little finesse.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 02:51:34 PM by Solorg »
BANNED - because spamming catches up with you in the end.  Especially someone who uses a school server to host Orks and loli.

Offline reallifejon

• Ork Boy
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 02:54:51 PM »
Don't listen to the stoopid beakies!   (Or the tinboyz.)

IF you're going to get a battleforce, then perhaps the next best thing to get would be...   Another battleforce.   Seriously.   Most ork things are better in large numbers.   If you have a trukk, you probably want at least two.   If you've got some bikes, then some more will compliment them too.   And you can never have enough boys.

I do say 'IF' you get the battleforce, as it's quite vehical heavy.   If you want to go speed freak, then that's fine, or if you don't mind going back to basics once you've got a bit of a core, then that's fine, but if you're like me, and want to concentrate on a horde (and don't much like bikes), then the battleforce is not worth it, despite the monetary saving.   For a horde, you could get 4 boxes of boys for the price of a battleforce.   You could at least start with two boxes of boys, and a few other toys - a couple of boxes of lootas, or a boss.

As far as tactics go, I would say play 'to lose' a couple of games.   Think of them as experiments.   Try some all out charges, not slowing down to take cover, and see how it goes.   You may not win, but a couple of good close combat phases, and you'll quickly get to love the boys, and your opponents will become a bit more scared of them too.   Or, mount everyone in bikes and truks, and move everyone 24" on your first turn.   Get them to fear what you can do.   Even if you don't win, or especially if you don't win, you'll get to know what your troops can do.   When you've tried out a few things, then start to think about what you liked, what worked well for you, what you wish you'd had to help you out of a problem.

Good luck and have fun!

Offline Butters

• Ork Boy
  • Ev'ryone knows, it's Butters!
« Reply #9 on: July 2, 2008, 01:48:51 PM »
i find speed freeks work well against non-assault armies very well.
i filled all my troops choices with trukkers and i still had loads of points over to buy other units.

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

beewair of mi speling.

the below sentence is true.
the above sentence is a lie.

youngest 40k onliner and proud

Offline Grimfang

• Ork Boy
  • Without Conflict, there is no life.
« Reply #10 on: July 2, 2008, 04:24:51 PM »
I agree with Boss Solorg anti-armor is the key to owning your very cocky friends.
Orks in general are dead trying to foot-slog it across a board to a heavily armored enemy, especially Crons, who will sit back and let their Liths take out swathes of your boys before marching in and finishing them. The SMurfs get pretty cocky, confident in the armor and all around competence, but they can be crushed under the immense weight of an armor-killing, close combative horde. Orks are best at CC and get a butt-load of attacks if you arm them correctly, so don't let them get tied down or worse yet mowed down, crossing a big battlefield.
Get in the enemy's face as quick as you can with your nastiest AP weapons. :P

Caladonia and Gallosias Peace conference date pushed back     Tunuarian Cleanup operation underway, Unemployment in Albibis down additional 10%     CNSE -5  GSN -2     New Research into Industrial power for both empires.

Offline Banned Solorg

• WAAAAAAAaaaaaban...
« Reply #11 on: July 2, 2008, 04:37:48 PM »
Another good point - they might have expensive ($$$) tanks all over the board, but even the Ork Player starting out can model a few Boyz carrying Rokkitz and also some Power Klaws.  Just because he has all the money and all the tanks doesn't mean you can't win.  If anything, he makes himself vulnerable.

Once I shot out my friend's Land Raider on Turn 1 with a stray Ork Rocket.  BAM - he was down by a couple hundred points and he hadn't even started playing yet!  Just a little example of how the "all tanks" tactic can really hurt your opponent.  And I did it all for a lousy 20 points (Ork Boy and Rocket - mixed in with a Boyz Unit of course!)

You're sure to have your own very funny stories soon.  Nothing like taking the grin off your cocky opponent's face when you blow his tank to smithereens with one crazy Ork who has one BIG gun!

Offline M. Gobrot Esq.

• Grot
  • Waaaagh.
« Reply #12 on: July 2, 2008, 06:35:59 PM »
You're sure to have your own very funny stories soon.  Nothing like taking the grin off your cocky opponent's face when you blow his tank to smithereens with one crazy Ork who has one BIG gun!

Something you have that those other armies dont are that the vast majority of your weapons are assault weapons, which allows you to keep moving towards the enemy and shooting while you do so. This includes the heavy weapons like big shootas or rocket launcha's.

Something you can do if money is tight is to proxy some units until you find out what you really like then you can dive in head first for the expansions without the cost of buying units you dont necessarily like.

Wen.
You've been Grotted

Offline jawmonkey

• My disgust for you is only matched by my rage.
« Reply #13 on: July 2, 2008, 08:28:27 PM »
The older edition boyz are really cheap; one way to make a quick green tide army (and you don't have to feel bad about hauling them around in a trash can for those Apocalypse games).
Throwing feces in the eye of insolence.

Check out my terrain tutorial!, New chapter; plasticard watch tower added 11-6-11!

Also,examples of my many armies;  pics of all sorts of huge commissions

Offline Banned Solorg

• WAAAAAAAaaaaaban...
« Reply #14 on: July 2, 2008, 11:04:38 PM »
Something you can do if money is tight is to proxy some units until you find out what you really like then you can dive in head first for the expansions without the cost of buying units you dont necessarily like.

Absolutely agreed on this.  Judging from what you see on the boards, you would think this is never allowed.  However, let's face it - unless your friends are totally antisocial, they'll let you proxy in one model for another when you want to test something new.  Just let them know ahead of time like a good sport and you're fine.  These models cost $$$ - hey, if you already have a ton of Orks, why can't you field what you want?

My group is casual in this regard and it is a good thing.  I did it constantly when I was starting and I still do sometimes when I have a great idea I want to try for my army.  Of course, as your collection grows, you will have more chances to field the "exact unit" you want, but no reason you can't do a small mix and match in the meantime.  Let's face it - if you want to collect EVERY choice for your army, that'll keep you busy for years - and that's not counting units you want two or more of (like Boyz!)

I used to paint my Heavy Weapons in neutral colors so I could attach them to any Ork Unit I wanted.

Anyway, you get the idea.  Prosper in Battle!
Solorg

Offline Locarno

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Could I interest you in a small bribe?
« Reply #15 on: July 3, 2008, 04:59:16 AM »
Rokkits, Power Klaws and Boyz. Lots of Boyz.

The point that the others have been making is perfectly correct. A mob of orks charging at tinboyz will take massive casualties from small arms fire. The marine player will sit back feeling all smug as he kills lots and lots of orks.

After about two turns, though, he'll start to notice that whilst he is killing lots of them, he doesn't seem to be killing that many proportionately to the number still running at him!

Using random mathshammer is something I'm not a fan of on general principles as it doesn't reflect details that well (like cover, special weapons, etc) but it's a good way to illustrate a point.

A quick demonstration of just how hard footslogging boyz are to stop

10 marines = 25 boyz.
Starting on a marine turn when da boyz have first come into bolter range. Average of 3 kills, which can come off the back rank - 5th edition rules allow you to take a casualty on any 'identical model' in the mob, even if that model is out of range:

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

24"

:'( :'( :'( 

Now come 5th edition, the boyz will run - making 6" and an average of a further 3.5". The units are now 14.5" apart.  Running means no shooting, which in turn means no marine casualties

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

14.5"

The marines can stand and shoot, but will be a bit stupid to do so, since if the orks Waaaggh! they have a good chance of making a 15" move and charging without the marines getting a burst of rapid fire in. More sensible is to advance 3" or so themselves and unload rapid fire into the mob, getting an average seven kills - quite impressive (small arms on light infantry will do that!).

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

11"

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
 :'( :'(   

Now, having spent two turns being the space marines' whupping boyz, the orks get to fight back. Sluggas aren't that effective but given 15 of them you'll do a bit of damage. More importantly with countercharge moves, everyone gets properly involved and you can bring numbers to bear. The assault will be bloody - with each ork boy generating as much hitting power as a striking scorpion aspect warrior! Between shooting, hacking, and No Retreat! wounds you're looking at taking down over half of the marines...
:'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
 :o :o :o :o :o

:'(  :'(

It may be the marine's turn, but once you're in combat, you're stuck there! Granted, the orks have now lost the momentum of the initial charge but at nearly 3-to-1 odds, the marines are still losing and now surrounded.....

:o :o :o  :'( :'(

:'(

And the next turn

:o :'( :'(

You've now reached the point of the battle looking like this:

It may look heroic, but you have to admit that the space marine is screwed. On a pretty epic level.
This involved no cover, no subtlety and just charging straight through their gunfire and sucking it up.
Admittedly there were no heavy weapons or similar included, but then nor was the (cheap, easy and highly recommended) 4+ cover save from a mob of Grotz. Or Power Klaw Nob.

Stories to read....
Songs of Earth
The Will to Survive Series

Tervigon Army List:
Games Played: 35
Termagants expended for the Hive Mind: ~2685