News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Warhammer Fantasy  (Read 5422 times)

Offline Tuisich-Anastari

• Raven Lord of the Alfheim Craftworld
Warhammer Fantasy
« on: February 15, 2002, 03:52:38 PM »
To any of you fellow eldar who also play wfb, which race(s) do you prefer?  I am beginning to collect a lizardmen army, and was drawn to them in part due to the vaguely related background to the eldar (see Old Ones), and also because they will be a different kind of playing style from my eldar.
"A careful study of the Bible would convince many people that it is a very different
book than they assume it to be." --Loraine Boettner, The Reformed Doctrine Of Predestination

This post is dedicated to all those who never have a post dedicated to them.

Offline Poueblo

• cheese-tastic
Re:Warhammer Fantasy
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2002, 08:38:34 PM »
hmm, i was asking people about fantasy, cause some of my freinds are starting to play.  O well, itll be a couple of years b4 i finish my eldar, and do a tau army :^)
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Calaveylon

• Put The Fear of the Eldar Into The Mon-Keigh!
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2002, 03:21:37 PM »
I play High Elves!!  I have 6,300+ pts of brave warriors from Ulthuan.  My friend who has been teaching me is starting to give me a thumbs-up to my playing because I'm starting to show competence as a High Elf Commander.  If you play Lizardmen and play a High Elf player fear the Repeating Bolt Thrower (a.k.a. Eagle Bolt Thrower).  The HE Commander can take 2 EBT's as 1 rare choice and can pummel your Skinks with 12 Str 4 shots at a -2 armor save/turn.  Invest in Koxignors and Salamanders (the Lizardman equivailent of an EBT).  The store owner of the place that I play at has a Lizardman army and he has these two units as his hard hitters.

Offline the_Bard_72

• Kanu-rath Craftworld and Kabal of Martyred Souls
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2002, 03:42:08 PM »
I only just started Fantasy (5 games under my belt) and have been playing Lizardmen.  I was blessed by a moving friend with a bag full of saurus and skinks.  I think I have something like 80+ skinks and 60+ saurus, plus a shaman and a salamander I bought.  Still have lots of painting and basing to do  ;D  I'm waiting for the Lizardman codex to hit before I start buying - hoping for some better looking models to accentuate my hoard.  

I also, of course, have the orks and empire from the box set, but I'm not sure if I like either one beyond the basic look.  Unlike 40K, I may actually end up sticking with one army...
the Bard
Emmissary of the Kanu-rath Craftworld

Offline PsykerLord

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2002, 06:53:42 PM »
I play High Elves.  Gotta love High Magic.
-PsykerLord

Offline Zyphit

• Thought of the Day: Make deeds, not words
    • Blackstone VI - Essential BFG Website!
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2002, 11:35:27 PM »
In a complete departure of play style from Eldar, I'm starting a Vampire Counts army.  I don't know, something about commanding hordes of skeletons just appeals to me.
The pessimist says the cup is half empty. The optimist says it's half full. The pragmatist says its liquid contents are at 50% capacity. The ironist says it's half full of air. The plumber says the cup must be leaking. George Carlin says the cup is too big. The Starbucks employee says it's so you have room for cream. The conspiracy theorist says aliens took the other half. The baseball player says his cup is definitely full. MacGuyver says he can build a powerful explosive with it...

Offline The Hive Custodian (Retired)

• Primojanitor Paragon
  • Ancient
  • Perfection Within; Perfection Without
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2002, 12:24:18 PM »
A friend of mine plays Lizardmen in Fantasy, and Tyranids in 40K. We're trying to work out a system to convert one to the other...

The Space Marine Tac squad advances across the plains... suddenly a sound is heard from above! Is it Gargoyles? Swooping Hawks? Scourges? No! It's...it's...

A wyvern! <WHAM SMASH SMASH SMASH>
Calculus is an art, but algebra is attrition.

Offline Koonitz

• Ignorance is your greatest enemy
  • Ancient
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2002, 03:22:26 PM »
For honour! For Chivalry! FOR BRETTONIA! ('nuff said)
I have a whopping 2 game record. The good thing about this is that my record is 2/0/0 ^_^
The first game, which was against the guy that lent me 1000 points of Brettonians. He had 1000 point Orc army. They're both pretty balanced. Then again... I crushed him taking only a single casualty. Poor Snotling Pump wagon never saw it comin'...
My Second game was 1000 allied with 1000 of Chaos against Empire (It was 1v1, then the Empire guy showed up with 2000 and we thought a nice 2000 point battle would be nice. I was really losing my Grail Knights, but other than that, not a single casualty (The Blessing of the Lady of the Lake shut down his 3 WarMachines for the first AND third turn. Then we had them in CC)
"I like to think of this lovely place as my home. Now you wouldn't even think about upsetting me in my home, would you? Of course you wouldn't. So do what I say, when I say, and I won't get upset. I do bad things when I'm upset."
-Drill Instructor, MechWarrior 2

"It is not my responsibility to prove you are wrong. It is your responsibility to prove you are right."
-Koonitz

"The next time you decide to stab me in the back, have the guts to do it to my face."
- Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Offline Narceron

• Awesome site!
    • Simon's Webpage
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2002, 12:12:35 PM »
I was thinking about orks and goblins, they come with the box.  So do empire, I guess, but I hate shooty armies, not very fantastic, if you ask me, LOL>!
The ultramarines are the inheritors of the Emperor's legacy, so no more jokes!  Blue is back, baby!

Offline Star.Scream

• The OLD Transformers were the best! - Classic!!!
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2002, 07:16:22 PM »
>>>>>I also play High elves (ya !! - good choice PsykerLord and Calaveylon!!!)  I got about a 3,000 - 3,500 pt army (depending).  

And ya, Go high magic!!  ( I love the new rules!)
"Conquest is made of the ashes of one's enemies." - StarScream

"You can never know everything, and part of what you do know is always wrong. Perhaps even the most important part. A portion of wisdom lies in knowing that. A portion of courage lies on going on anyway."
-al'Lan Mandragoran, p.600 Winters Heart, book nine of the series "The Wheel of Time," by Robert Jordan.

Offline Rhaegar

• Howling Banshee
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2002, 07:21:43 PM »
I play Bretonnians.  I have the archers and knights of the realm from the box set plus some grail knights and some squires.  I haven't played many games (1 loss - 1 win so far).

I kind of wish I had waited so I could collect Vampire Counts though because they look so cool.

Offline Zyphit

• Thought of the Day: Make deeds, not words
    • Blackstone VI - Essential BFG Website!
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2002, 01:39:38 AM »
They do look cool, but the lustre has worn a bit thin after you've modeled and painted fifty each skeletons and zombies.  It's taken me six months to paint half of the army boxed set becaues I've been really spacing out the larger regiments.
The pessimist says the cup is half empty. The optimist says it's half full. The pragmatist says its liquid contents are at 50% capacity. The ironist says it's half full of air. The plumber says the cup must be leaking. George Carlin says the cup is too big. The Starbucks employee says it's so you have room for cream. The conspiracy theorist says aliens took the other half. The baseball player says his cup is definitely full. MacGuyver says he can build a powerful explosive with it...

Offline King Snake

• I'm not a llama!
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2002, 01:09:01 AM »
I started collecting an all Gobbo army, but I think I'm gonna make it co-ed (hehehehe, you know what I mean)

Offline Kilgo

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2002, 10:27:05 AM »
I have a Beastman Army with, 12 Minatours and a Minatour Lord in it, lol grrrrrrr army

Offline Moogoo_the_Great

• Experienced renter-of-movies.
    • The Bolter and Chainsword
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2002, 10:50:34 PM »
Dark Elves.  ;D I have some interesting plans for my army, including using a 40K Avatar of Khaine to represent a War Hydra. :)
"If I see one more person renting Crouching Tiger-dubbed I'm gonna blow someone's head off" -Moogoo

Offline Nevinyraal

• Check my site for more pics
    • Painting, About, and Local Gaming Group
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2002, 06:55:58 PM »
I play all-gobbos and have actually won a Rogue Trader with it.  Not a single orc in the army.
King Snake...don't turn to the dark side!  Orcs lead to anger, anger leads to cheese, cheese leads to suffering!

Seriously, I play a very serious, dark, and elite force of Ulthwe in 40K as well as the secretive and repentant Dark Angels.  I wanted a severe change.  I went for comic relief and chose an all-gobbo army simply because of the "loony factor" that it adds to every game.  Don't underestimate them though...they either do really horrible, or totally wipe the walls with who you play against.
"Only the insane
  Have strength enough to prosper.
  Only those who prosper
  Truly judge what is sane."
                        -Unknown

Offline Dead_Jester

• What's strategy?
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2002, 07:29:17 PM »
gobbos are goblins right? or are those the round toothy things that are ridden( and what do those do)?

I should know this but i figure i have to ask sometime or later
"Mom, where do harlequins go when they die?"

Offline Moogoo_the_Great

• Experienced renter-of-movies.
    • The Bolter and Chainsword
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2002, 09:21:54 PM »
Gobbos ARE goblins. Those round pumpkins with teeth are Squigs.  ;D
"If I see one more person renting Crouching Tiger-dubbed I'm gonna blow someone's head off" -Moogoo

Offline FallenExarch

• What's this life for?
« Reply #18 on: March 4, 2002, 10:27:42 PM »
High elves...3000+ points with all of the goodies...white lions...Tyrion....T eclis....all just sitting in a box while I am stationed far away from home... :'(
What are you afraid of Tommy? Ze germans?

Offline FarseerWolfy

• The hunter and hunted
« Reply #19 on: March 5, 2002, 01:22:01 PM »
I play Bretonians and Dark elves.  I just got into dark elves because i love the models and stories.  I have a amphetamine parrot load of knights to paint for bretonians but my elves are first priority.  I'm forcing my self to paint everything before i can use it in a battle.  We'll see, spring break will provide mucho painting time.
" Knowing the other and oneself, In one hundred battles no danger.  Not knowing the other and knowing oneself, One victory for one loss.  Not knowing the other and not knowing oneself, In every battle certain defeat."  Sun Tzu