News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: My ulthwe army  (Read 13829 times)

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: My ulthwe army
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2015, 06:52:22 AM »
Personally I don't think you need any grey on the top of the helmet. Just over the brim of the helm (right above the eyes), the chin strap and little ear-flap type things is all I do. If you really want a little highlight going up the helm, I do a thin tapering triangle stroke that goes up the center of the helmet right between the eyes.

Thats just my take though ultimately its up to you and if you like it thats all that matters. I've got a bunch of stuff that I've done that my brother and others aren't wild about but I love so just go with what seems right to you.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 04:04:34 PM by Cavalier »
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Rx8Speed

« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2015, 02:16:58 PM »
I see what you did there. It looks nice and it's similar to what I had before except with brighter highlights. I think even your heads might be too dark for my color scheme. The chest plate would get all the attention

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2015, 07:08:25 AM »
Personally I wouldn't care if the chestplate got all the attention... In the new book they showed how wild and varied the paint schemes are for the various warhosts. I think the black helm and bone chest plate was unique and gave them a bit more of a robust solid feelinig... but if you don't like it you could alternatively go with a bone colored helm which I think would look dynamite.

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Rx8Speed

« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2015, 01:16:24 PM »
The way it is now looks pretty good in person. I think. The helmet is prettybrightbut it doesn't look overdone like it does in the picture.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 03:36:10 PM by Rx8Speed »

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #64 on: July 1, 2015, 07:13:32 AM »
Thats great Rx8. Your army is really coming along keep it up! Give us MOAR!

Offline Rx8Speed

« Reply #65 on: November 5, 2015, 10:15:13 AM »
Hey guys, it's been so long since I've given any updates! and here's why:

2000 points of brand new ultramarines! They took me forever to build. I'm going to use this army to get better at painting before I come back to my eldar. Also now that I have two armies I can probably get some more games in with buddies who are smart enough not to start spending money on this hobby of ours  :P . The large surfaces are really a treat to paint on compared to the guardians whose shading I was having a bit of trouble with before, especially on the legs and lower abdomen.

Here's my test marine:

I couldn't quite figurew out the lighting to take the photo so the above one has too much and the below one has too little. Wehn you are looking at it with your eye in a normally lit room it looks somehwere in between the two.

Every marine has a shoulder pauldron from the ultramarine's upgrade pack. The command squad all have heads and torso's from the ultramarine upgrade pack. I'll probably start a separate blog for this stuff once I really start painting!

« Last Edit: November 5, 2015, 11:17:39 AM by Rx8Speed »

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #66 on: November 5, 2015, 02:57:14 PM »
TRAITOR!!! lol just kidding! I'm dying to start my own Space Marine army. Looking good Rx8! I love the models you picked up as well. Super-classic with a modern twist. Good choice on Ultramarines too. Great chapter tactics, and I love their history, especially their Heresy-era history. The battle for Calth is probably my favorite battle that I've read into. I used to think the Ultramarines weren't very cool, but after reading about them I realized I was totally wrong. Their totally legendary.

I also really like the more pale, blue-grey shade of blue that you chose. Very unique.

So glad to see you back on the project logs. Make sure you keep us posted, its always fun seeing an army grow. Let us know of any games you get in if you get a chance, i'd be fascinated how your guys fair on the tabletop. Any keep up the great work and welcome back!

Post Merge: November  5, 2015, 03:39:25 PM
In the future, please use the modify button. Double posting is against the forum rules, and for that reason, the system merged your posts.

« Last Edit: November 5, 2015, 03:39:25 PM by Cavalier »

Offline Rx8Speed

« Reply #67 on: November 6, 2015, 11:58:08 AM »
thanks cav!

im super stoked about this army. I really like the way the blue came out too. for that i did maccragge -> drakenhof/nuln oil -> calgar -> space wolf grey -> white

and i'll be playing this weekend, 2000 points against orks. A really good player so it should be fun and challenging!

heres the list ill be running. not super optimized but lots of cool stuff!

+++ space marines october (2000pts) +++

++ Space Marines: Codex (2015) (Combined Arms Detachment) (2000pts) ++

+ (No Category) +

Chapter Tactics * [Ultramarines]

+ HQ (195pts) +

Librarian (100pts) [Mastery Level 1]
····Terminator Armour [Force Stave, Storm Shield]

Techmarine (95pts) [Auspex, Bolt Pistol, Power Axe]
····Servo-harness [Flamer, Plasma Cutter, 2x Servo-arm]

+ Elites (425pts) +

Command Squad (245pts)
····Apothecary [Bolt Pistol, Chainsword, Narthecium]
····Veteran [Lightning Claw, Meltagun, Storm Shield]
····Veteran [Meltagun, Power Axe, Storm Shield]

Ironclad Dreadnoughts (180pts)
····Ironclad Dreadnought
········Drop Pod [Storm Bolter]
········Power Fist [Heavy Flamer]
········Seismic Hammer [Heavy Flamer]

+ Troops (485pts) +

Tactical Squad (250pts) [Grav-cannon and Grav-amp, Plasma Gun, 9x Space Marines]
····Rhino [Dozer Blade, Extra Armour, Storm Bolter]
····Space Marine Sergeant [Bolt Pistol, Compi-plasma]

Tactical Squad (235pts) [Grav-cannon and Grav-amp, Plasma Gun, 9x Space Marines]
····Drop Pod [Storm Bolter]
····Space Marine Sergeant [Bolt Pistol, Compi-plasma]

+ Fast Attack (115pts) +

Stormtalon Gunship (115pts) [Skyhammer Missle Launcher, Twin-linked Assault Cannon]

+ Heavy Support (780pts) +

Centurion Devastator Squad (500pts)
····Centurion [Missile Launcher, Twin-linked Lascannon]
····Centurion [Missile Launcher, Twin-linked Lascannon]
····Centurion Sergeant [Missile Launcher, Twin-linked Lascannon]
····Land Raider Redeemer [Extra Armour, Multi-melta, Twin-linked Assault Cannon, Two Flamestorm Cannons]

Devastator Squad (150pts) [4x Lascannon, 4x Space Marines]
····Space Marine Sergeant [Bolt Pistol, Boltgun, Signum]

Devastator Squad (130pts) [Missile Launcher (Frag & Krak), Missile Launcher (Frag & Krak), Missile Launcher (Frag & Krak), Missile Launcher (Frag & Krak), 4x Space Marines]
····Space Marine Sergeant [Bolt Pistol, Boltgun, Signum]

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #68 on: November 6, 2015, 02:06:48 PM »
Nice painting combo. Not sure if you are priming your minis blue, but if you aren't  I can't recommend the GW colored primer's enough. I've gone through about a million models with a single can of Khorne Red. The Ultramarine blue I'm sure works even better since their blues are so nice.

Nice list too! Weird combo on the Command Squad, I didn't know that was possible with a single lightning claw, melta-gun and stormshield. Weird but cool! Also I like the Centurion load-out. The lascannon variant is really underrated.

While the missile launcher flakk upgrades are VERY expensive, they will be very useful as backup to the Storm Talon, cause I'd bet on facing some Dakka Jets or Blitzabombas.

Anyway, good luck and make sure you let us know how it goes!

Offline Rx8Speed

« Reply #69 on: November 6, 2015, 02:15:23 PM »
Thanks I will! And do you mean army painter colored primers? I used their black primer on the marines but I'm really considering getting the blue spray. Especially for vehicles!

And I'll get some better pics of the command squad, I can't figure out how to model the damn storm shield onto them! You can kind of see them standing behind the techmarine in the whole-army pic. I bought some vanguard storm shield arms from ebay but am stumped on how to get them on with the lightning claw and melta gun there already. For now I'm just explaining it as extra shiny armor :D

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #70 on: November 7, 2015, 07:10:21 AM »
Hey Rx8 tricky modeling question. If you lay out the bits in a pic, I may be able to help come up with an idea for easy kitbash/conversion. My first thought is to simply have the gun hanging off the backpack/belt. My 2nd thought would be a little more tricky... I don't think it'd work on a Stormshield, but if you had boarding shields you could tuck the weapon onto the underside of the shield. In old school original mobile suit gundam, some of the mobile suits had weaponry mounted on the rearside of their shield. Basically they'd lift up their shield and fire off a shot in an emergency.

As for the spray paint, I was actually referencing GW's Magcragge Blue. I use GW's Khorne Red and its radically sped up my painting process. The stuff lasts FOREVER too. I've been rocking one can for like 6 months and its still going! I do a black undercoat, then Khorne Red. You could easily do the same with Macgragge Blue. I HIGHLY recommend GW's colored primers. They are great!

Offline Rx8Speed

« Reply #71 on: November 8, 2015, 10:31:12 AM »
I'll get some pics of the pieces laid out. Everything is packed up atm for my game! And I'm super confused by this spray paint you're talking about! I cant find it anywhere! I see there is the macragge blue 'citadel air' but you said 'can' and i didnt realize you could use the airs as primers ?! still confused lol care to share a link?

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #72 on: November 9, 2015, 06:53:01 AM »
Here ya go buddy!

Macragge Blue Spray | Games Workshop Webstore

Good luck at your game hope you rocked it!

Offline Rx8Speed

« Reply #73 on: November 9, 2015, 09:18:44 AM »
I see! I found out that it isnt available here in canada and thats why i couldnt find it! I was also lookjng for primers! :P
« Last Edit: November 9, 2015, 09:45:03 AM by Rx8Speed »

Offline Rx8Speed

« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2016, 10:27:45 AM »
So I FINALLY received my Ultramarines Blue primer from Army Painter. Really excited to give it a try pictures and progress shots on the way!

I also played 2000 pt game the other day with my ulthwe and my ultramarines teaming up against a group of orks! The combination was extremely powerful and the orks just weren't ready for it was was a little unfortunate. You can see the list in the eldar forum somewhere. It was REALLY fun to play! And seemed like it would be a great all around list.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2016, 06:48:36 AM »
Thats great you got a hold of that primer Rx8. Life is so much easier when you can prime and basecoat in a single go of it. It really helps the painting process get off to a hot start.

Congrats on the win too. Ultramarines are seriously powerful with their "doctrines" (if thats the right term). Always liked the Ultramarines and I'm glad they have got so many cool buffs which reflect their discipline. Its also nice you have a second army to ally in while you get your new force up and running. I'm looking forward to doing the same with my Dark Angels.

Anyway keep us up to date and share some photos when you get your guys primed I'd love to see how the primer looks. Good luck buddy and keep it up!

Offline Rx8Speed

« Reply #76 on: March 7, 2016, 12:56:37 PM »
So I don't have any pics of the blue primer yet. The first couple of models that I sprayed turn out pretty grainy but that could be because I didn't shake it enough. Next time I'm going to shake it till my arms just about fall off and we'll see if it's any better!

I've been working on my second squad of guardians (The one I posted pics of a couple of pages back) to get them onto the field which I just barely managed to do! They aren't completed but they were painted enough that I could glue the guns and heads on. In the last two pics you can see I the first two guardians have their black armor in different styles. The one on the left is line highlighted while the one of the right just has the raised areas painted grey, let me know which one you like better. Here's some pics:

I played a game yesterday against with those guardians against orks. It was a near win for me. I used a bit of a strange list with two guardian units in wave serpents with warlocks, a wraithlord, a vyper, striking scorpions a basic windrider unit joined by a farseer and warlock, a fire prism, a crimson hunter and an aspect host with two large warp spider units and a squad of dark reapers. It was 2000pts

The scorpions and warp spiders were amazing. Both are great at what they do. The scorpion exarch mulched the warboss in a challenge and thenhim and his unit fought off about 40 boyz for a couple of turns and killed about half of them and made of the remaining ones break and run where the warp spiders easily picked them off! And the warp spiders got charged by a deffdred, then after auto passing their morale check used their hit and run ability to break off and wreck it from behind in my turn!

My farseer joining the jetbikes with the warlock also worked out wonderfully. The extra wounds and conceal allowed him to survive the whole game! The warlock rolled horrify so that and psychic shreik that gave me a nice combo for the first couple turns before they had to start jinking!

Having 2 guardian units squads was actually very good. The ork player didn't have much to target the wave serpents with, and everything that he did have shot at the wraithlord. Guardian's shooting is really scary. I kept them back as a counter unit for when the orks got close. I played one unit very stupidly though and basically sacrificed it for no reason =(

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #77 on: March 8, 2016, 06:52:59 AM »
Hey RX8 great to see you working on your Eldar again. Sounds like a fun game you played the other day with a real old school type of list with a 7th ed twist. Sounds like a great game you had. I love the idea of the Guardians coming out of the Serpents. With the short range of the catapults its like a hit squad with a bunch of Uzis lol.

It sounds like you were rocking it... so how did the orks win? Just holding more objectives?

Anyway glad to see your working on your eldar again keep it up and keep us posted!

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #78 on: March 8, 2016, 08:18:42 AM »
I played a game yesterday against with those guardians against orks. It was a near win for me.

It sounds like you were rocking it... so how did the orks win? Just holding more objectives?

Hey Cav unless I am reading it wrong the Orks didn't win.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Rx8Speed

« Reply #79 on: March 8, 2016, 10:15:58 AM »
Sorry for the confusing wording! I won that game :P But only barely. I got lucky and drew two D3 victory points cards on turn 5 and got like 4 VPs right there and pulled ahead. The orks didn't have much left to score with so I won by a little bit. I think it was 12-9.

And thanks cav that is really what I'm going for! Old school eldar rocking it in 7th! And that's exactly how the guardians work! Short range machine guns that just tear up anything in front of them