News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Project Complete and Battle Report: Armorcast Phantom  (Read 1773 times)

Offline bca11

Project Complete and Battle Report: Armorcast Phantom
« on: December 13, 2018, 04:47:27 PM »
Good Afternoon / Evening / whatever time it is where you live.

I had posted several months ago that I had found an Armorcast Phantom on Ebay, but I never followed up and posted the finished product, which actually has been finished now since September.

I also took it to a 25,000 point apocalypse game in October, where it was easily the largest model there. When the Phantom entered the battle, our opponents were not at all prepared for its speed, and they were shocked when it made contact with (and stomped) the enemy warmaster (Guilliman) after blowing up a land raider and a spartan assault tank in its shooting phase. Guilliman came back to life and did 12 wounds to it before getting stomped again, while the phantom continued its assault, downing a knight, a second lander raider, and a space wolf flying transport (the name of which eludes me right now). It took an additional 12 wounds from various krak missiles and such on turn 4, but by the end of the turn, all serious threats to the Phantom had been removed and (as it was getting late) the game was called. At the end of the day it lost 28 wounds (less than half) to the enemy's concentrated fire, and the remainder of my vehicles and monsters (2 fire prisms, a cobra, a couple wave serpents, a couple of wraithlords) were largely undamaged. To be fair, the enemy knew the Phantom would be at the battle and they brought no macro weapons, so it was partially their fault for coming unprepared.

Still, it was a fun fight.  Pics below:

The finished project (avatar & wraithlord for scale):

Phantom meets Guilliman

There used to be enemy vehicles here
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 04:48:50 PM by bca11 »

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Project Complete and Battle Report: Armorcast Phantom
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 05:13:43 PM »
Nice find, I've found the armour cast titans to be less fragile than FW, they need less work with pinning etc, so its easier to game with them. Nice paining work on it as well :)

Nice cobra too.

Offline bca11

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 05:38:55 PM »
Thanks. I too have learned that. It probably took longer to paint than a forgeworld model would, but I’d rather spend my time painting than the ridiculous amount of time required to clean up and prep a forgeworld model before it’s even ready for priming. Assembly was a breeze, as it all bolts together. Not a drop of glue on the whole thing.

Probably the most tedious thing was airbrushing the 178 gems and then painting them with masking fluid before other paint was applied.

Offline admironheart

• later
  • Armies: Eldar,Exodites,Harlequins.Squats,Dark Eldar&BA
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 11:24:18 PM »
That is an awesome model....and the battle looks sweet!
"Battles are decided by slaughter and maneuver.  The greater the general, the more he contributes in manuever, the less he demands in slaughter"...Winston Churchill