News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Stubborn, the new fearless?  (Read 9962 times)

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
Re: Stubborn, the new fearless?
« Reply #40 on: April 2, 2009, 02:36:10 PM »
Why? If you like better morale play 40k. Seriously.

Do you mean Fantasy Battle?
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Spirit of Kurnous

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #41 on: April 2, 2009, 03:50:45 PM »
@ Phantomine.

Their is a reason those rules work for necromunda. BECAUSE IT IS SMALL SCALE. Try to play a gang of over 50 mdoels. See how long that game lasts. You will see that this is a game for different systems. In 40k it is meant to be quick and brutal. I play 40k for a quick game and not a marathon length game. If your changes were implemented the game would last far too long.

about 2 hours ;)  really that was 2nd ed and it worked fine.  although if you used rogue trader (which is same as 5th basically) close combat rules then it could go quicker.
in fact if you used rogue trader movement, firing, combat it would all go quicker as people die more due to save mods, combat is like 5th and you only get one move in a turn so lose a move.  making use of 5th vehicle rules would keep it fast although these really dont represent vehicles very well and 2nd ed did that better (although alot longer).

for detail RT and 2e beat 3-5th hands down and are better games for it.  3-5th is good if you want uncomplicated and/or kids to play.
40k:
Eldar=12000pts
Slaanesh Deamons = 2000pts

Fantasy:
Slaanesh=5000pts      
Wood Elves=6000pts
Slaanesh Deamons = 3000pts
High Elves 3000pts

Offline Phantomime

• The BEasT wHat LIcKED Me
« Reply #42 on: April 3, 2009, 06:09:06 AM »
@ Phantomine.

Their is a reason those rules work for necromunda. BECAUSE IT IS SMALL SCALE. Try to play a gang of over 50 models. See how long that game lasts. You will see that this is a game for different systems. In 40k it is meant to be quick and brutal. I play 40k for a quick game and not a marathon length game. If your changes were implemented the game would last far too long.

more like, "if you want to play a real game with tactics, moral and amphetamine parrot, play fantasy" except i like 40k's fluff better and wonder why they needed to dumb IT down... bigger player base? whatever the reason, i would perfer a system that didnt focus on faster and faster games, but rather on more indepth ones with... i dunno, feeling...

yes necromunda is a smaller scale, and so you can add more stuff to make the game more interesting and challenging as opposed to, "i see you, roll a dice and get wiped out." speed doenst make better games. simple, consice, unambiguous rules that still allow for depth and strategy make for great games.

simply put, a necromunda or kill team style game would, imho, make a better 'quick' game alternative than dumbing down 40k. they just need better senarios and options for these systems.

Also, if you have ever played battletech (which uses a modifier system and a crazy 'realative hit-location' chart for damage) you will know that it all comes down to knowing how the game plays (it has about the same play time as a good game of 40k.)

as long as rules are easy to understand, picking it up and developing straegies comes easily, and game time decreases cause you arent constantly having to look up this or that rule or disputing LoS (which sadly happens a lot due to the fact that, now, if you can draw LoS to That model, the ENTIRE SQUAD is screwed.)

anyways, as it stands now, 'fast and bloody' does make for a quick game that comes down to terrain placement (and type of terrain), and luck. roll crap on the wrong turn, it can be unrecoverable, which is fine if you like playing games where it can be over by turn two though very little fault on your part. new game.
"Say hello to Mr. Yellow.."

Offline edible

« Reply #43 on: April 3, 2009, 11:04:58 PM »
they tend to clear them themselves, but not run screaming at them.  and in a 40k sense I would say they are fearless infiltrators.
just because you are fearless doesnt make you stupid, you can understand the situation but follow it through, just not in a suicidal way

They should at least be pinable, the issue here is that fearless is an all or nothing thing, they would likely be fearless in some situations but would have the sense to withdraw in unfavorable circumstances (which 40k penalizes badly, with off table = dead, no commander with any sense will try and retreat their forces off the table in bad situations, which should be to an extent promoted)

As far as fearless goes, I think pinning from barrage should be separate as part of it is the disorientation of shells falling everywhere smoke concussive waves, noise etc that no amount of courage will save you from confusion.

simple, consice, unambiguous rules that still allow for depth and strategy make for great games.

Agreed totally.

Offline Awfully Dandy

« Reply #44 on: April 4, 2009, 11:15:48 AM »

Do you mean Fantasy Battle?

:-[ :-[

Yeah, whoops.

Offline Tauir - "The Shadow"

• Infinity Circuit
  • I'm back
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2009, 09:57:11 PM »
Okay, just played a test game vs. the Imperial guard codex...

Ended up with a bloody 50 man conscript unit tarpitting the crap out of my DC with a commisar who stayed out of LOS behind a terrain piece giving them stubborn.

That was just stupid...

IMO, Stubborn = better than the old fearless...
Whoa there.

Offline Gornon

• Emperor's Quill | I... I just don't want to talk about it
  • Ancient
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2009, 10:19:07 PM »
Well, your opponent cheated, intentionally or not.  A Commissar has to join a unit for them to become Stubborn, though the Lord can bestow his Leadership onto a nearby unit.  So, in other words, the only way for those Conscripts to become stubborn is for the Lord to join them, and the Lord is an Indy Character.  Of course, there is Special Characters.
"Lift not my head from bloody ground,
Bear not my body home,
For all the earth is Roman earth
And I shall die in Rome."
-G.K. Chesterton, The Ballad Of The White Horse

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-Carl von Clausewitz, Prussian Military Theorist

Background Board Poster of the Year, '09

• Infinity Circuit
  • I'm back
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2009, 09:15:20 PM »
Yes, that new special commisar (commisar Chenkov, I believe) hided out with another unit of 20 conscripts behind a wall...

Twas annoying, but I still managed to pull a draw...
Whoa there.

Offline *Nosferatu*

• Why Hello There
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2009, 09:27:33 PM »
Yes, that new special commisar (commisar Chenkov, I believe) hided out with another unit of 20 conscripts behind a wall...

AH, Yes, Chenkov does transfer stubborn onto units in a 12" radius. But to clarify, he's not a Commissar, he's an officer. Though you friend may have just proxied him withe a Commissar.

Offline Cortez

« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2009, 09:55:18 PM »
In relation to pinning, my scouts never do squat with that. however, my ork friend (who hates to think like an ork . . . is this heresy?) uses 10 strong mobs, and as long as you pour enough dakka into something, it can fall back (Or in his case, lose a quarter of his army from a dread, scouts and a tac squad in 2 turns.)

Leadership is still a key part, or you lot are facing lots of fearless stuff.
Quote from: arah
first thing you dont need to mob opponents as marines. YOU ARE SPACE MARINES DAMNIT MOBBING IS FOR OKRS!!!
Quote from: Starrakatt of the Chortling Chainsaw
Self proclaimed kings - that's three now: Seer Fox, Thalandir, Shloeb... Self proclaimed gods are bigger, meaner and mightier.

• Infinity Circuit
  • I'm back
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2009, 10:18:08 PM »

AH, Yes, Chenkov does transfer stubborn onto units in a 12" radius. But to clarify, he's not a Commissar, he's an officer. Though you friend may have just proxied him withe a Commissar.
Could be, I dunno, I just gave a quick glance over his list and saw a weird special character and a bunch of conscripts.
Whoa there.

Offline objectionator

• High five!
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2009, 03:02:35 PM »
Wouldn't weedy stubborn units like conscripts with poor leadership still fail their morale checks (eventually) when they get pwned by death company in hand-to-hand combat? There's only a 58% chance to pass LD7 (and LD6 and LD5 only have 42 and 28% chances of success, respectively).

Offline *Nosferatu*

• Why Hello There
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2009, 03:26:39 PM »
Wouldn't weedy stubborn units like conscripts with poor leadership still fail their morale checks (eventually) when they get pwned by death company in hand-to-hand combat? There's only a 58% chance to pass LD7 (and LD6 and LD5 only have 42 and 28% chances of success, respectively).

Ah yes, Concsripts have Leadership 5. But the problem is that a Commissar provides Leadership 10 over them. And then you get the re-roll. In the end you're more likely to just kill them all then sap their morale.

Offline Daedalus_Mk_V

• God from a machine.
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2009, 06:00:59 PM »

Ah yes, Concsripts have Leadership 5. But the problem is that a Commissar provides Leadership 10 over them. And then you get the re-roll. In the end you're more likely to just kill them all then sap their morale.
Regular Comissars are only LD8 now, not LD10. The Lord could get them to 10, and Chenkov give them Stubborn, all without putting a vulnerable IC into combat, but such a setup is expensive, does no damage and is a one-trick pony to boot. Regular Comissars can't be put into Conscript squads, IIRC, so the only way to actually do this is to spend over 300 points on it, which is far from broken.

Offline *Nosferatu*

• Why Hello There
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2009, 06:50:59 PM »
Regular Commissars are Leadership 9, but your point stands.

Offline Gornon

• Emperor's Quill | I... I just don't want to talk about it
  • Ancient
« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2009, 03:03:16 PM »
You could bring Yarrick.  He gives his LD to units within 6 and makes them Stubborn.  Much cheaper and Yarrick is pretty decent in hand to hand, too.
"Lift not my head from bloody ground,
Bear not my body home,
For all the earth is Roman earth
And I shall die in Rome."
-G.K. Chesterton, The Ballad Of The White Horse

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-Carl von Clausewitz, Prussian Military Theorist

Background Board Poster of the Year, '09

• Infinity Circuit
  • I'm back
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2009, 07:05:32 PM »
He just used a lord commisar + chenkov (especially that "send in the dogs" ability he now has...).

As for yarrik, that sounds good, I'll recmomend it to mu opponent.
Whoa there.