News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Mechwarrior  (Read 5626 times)

Offline The Hive Custodian (Retired)

• Primojanitor Paragon
  • Ancient
  • Perfection Within; Perfection Without
Mechwarrior
« on: February 13, 2002, 08:27:46 PM »
Anybody out there play the Mechwarrior series? Only reason I tolerate Titans in 40K.

It's a shame Microsoft took over the series. Now the games are all to easy.
Calculus is an art, but algebra is attrition.

Offline purple psyker

• cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebelum
Re:Mechwarrior
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2002, 09:50:12 PM »
Yep, mechwarrior rocked hardfor a while there, 3 was my personal favorite. 4 was too limited in what you could customise, i.e the nova cat could only take energy weapons and even then not many if you did'nt want to shut down when you shot. Eye candy was hella nice tho.
"....The sound of one who laughs because he chooses not to cry...."

Fabricate Diem punc!

Offline vanquisherau

• Saussie Aussie
  • Who's Next??
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2002, 11:46:14 PM »
Mech4 doesn't exist
Mech4 doesn't exist
Mech4 doesn't exist
Mech4 doesn't exist

If I say enough times, it might go away...

Mech4 doesn't exist
Mech4 doesn't exist.......

Mech3 was easily the best, but as they say, its all down hill from here...

Mech4 doesn't exist
The Exarch: You'd be considered a violent schizophrenic if you were human - but you'd slap around anyone who called you that...

Offline crackjoy

• I can quit whenever I want!
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2002, 01:36:02 AM »
wut r u talking about, doest exist!?  it exists!  and it is GOOD!!  altho i agree with our purply friend here, it was quite limited.  actually, i cant complain about the nova cat, bcuz all i usually use is energy weapons.  but then that sweet, sweet, Dire Wolf came into my paws, and i couldnt resist...
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Offline Vertaxis

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2002, 08:41:43 AM »
Mech4 is too limited in what you can do to modify the Mech loadouts.  The "Slots" idea is only for Clan frontline Omnimechs and a few "limited" Inner Sphere Mechs.  But then, I've been playing the pen & paper original since the late '80s and love "options, options, options"!   ;D

If Mechwarrior 3 were updated with a better graphics engine and Multiplayer engive, it would rock.

Never meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Offline crackjoy

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2002, 01:17:46 PM »
i wish they would just put in the ability to punch out the other mech already.  they're still treating
mechwarrior as a piloting game, instead of wut it actually is:  walking tanks beating the crap out
of each other. 8)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2002, 01:20:07 PM by crackjoy »

Offline eldarfreek

• I'm not a stoopid llama!!!
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2002, 07:18:17 PM »
Exactly.  In the original miniatures game (much like 40k), Mechs could have things like clubs, axes, swords, etc...
:) ;) :D ;D >:( :( :o 8) ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :'(
Would you like fries with that?

Offline vanquisherau

• Saussie Aussie
  • Who's Next??
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2002, 10:47:20 PM »
<rant on>
crackjoy, my favorite mech of all time is the Mad Dog / Vulture, from the board game through to the Mechcommanders and Mechwarriors, and what did microsoft do with my beloved mech ing M4?
Gave it flares, a goatee and a pair of AC's!!
I saw the intro, said: "Thats not a Mad Dog" Played the game, "This is easy" and "What do you mean I can't put a laser there!!" Got a Mad Dog, realised it was what they though was a lame excuse for a Mad Dog, got out of the game, uninstalled it, gave it back to my friend.
<rant off>
Every one is entitled to their opinion, and mine happens to be amazingly one sided an biased ;)

I agree with the melee though, bring back Hatchetmen!!
The Exarch: You'd be considered a violent schizophrenic if you were human - but you'd slap around anyone who called you that...

Offline crackjoy

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2002, 02:55:33 AM »
the main thing i'm pissed at about microsoft, is that they've completley destroyed the separate names of the clan mechs (eg, a timber wolf is a mad cat to the inner sphere).  i kno this sounds a little anal, but its like they're slowly destroying any kind of story that fasa made up.  and do u guys remember mechwarrior 2?  do u remember how many freaking mechs there were?  now, i havent played it in a while, but it seems that there were more than they have put in mech3 and 4.  sure 3 and 4 were prettier, but 2 was just so much better.

k, rant over.

Offline Poueblo

• cheese-tastic
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2002, 08:40:58 PM »
uhh good thing i didnt get mech 4 last one i played was 3 and i still didnt like it as much as two (it was great for its time) also i used to collect battletech...that was coo.  to bad it went out of buisness. :( it was great
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• Primojanitor Paragon
  • Ancient
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2002, 09:54:57 PM »
Personally, I think MW2:Mercs had the best gameplay. The original MW2 had some quirks (on my computer, an alpha-strike with a Timber Wolf had no effect). Ghost Bears was way too hard. MW3 was easy, but passable. MW4 had good graphics, but not much else. How long did it take you to finish single player? I did it on "Regular" in about six hours.

As far as MechCommander goes, MC1 was too hard (what kind of idiot makes you fight in a oil field-
defending derricks!). MC2 was too easy.

Offline vanquisherau

• Saussie Aussie
  • Who's Next??
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2002, 12:52:18 AM »
I reckon if they re-do Mech2 Merc with the mech3 engine (The mech4 one always stuffed up when every water was seen) they'll have a winner.

BTW: did you know that unlimited ammo was on by default in MC2? I was half way through before I started to wonder why my AC-20's always seemed to have ammo...

Offline Farseer_Strider

• High Farseer of Ulthwé
    • i contain walnuts
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Necrons
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2002, 11:04:02 AM »
any body try armor core much like mech warior
meh

back from hell 03/30/03

Offline BoyProdigy

• Pirate Prince
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Still rocking your world!
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2002, 03:17:26 PM »
I GOT THE MECH 4 DEMO HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Aulan Cnesha

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2002, 09:01:52 PM »
i have the original mechwarrior 2 and thats it.  My favorite is Nova, except I could never use it in my clan battles.  Its too bad that I have lost touch with (S-Y) and no one plays mechwarrior anymore.  I remember this one battle...... it was sooo important to win to gain control of uhhh, well i forgot but it was at 10 PM so I couldn't come and I was kind of responsible for a big loss.

• Primojanitor Paragon
  • Ancient
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2002, 10:40:19 PM »
On this one match against my friend, we set the weight limit to 30 tons, and the gravity to 0.25...I ended up about 10km from the DZ...that messed up the game.

Offline purple psyker

• cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebelum
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2002, 02:29:48 AM »
If you ever want to see somthing hella funny, in mech 3 strip a firefly of everything (only enough armor on the legs to stop it from collapsing) give it a full engine upgade and max out it's jump jets. You'll cruise at about 500kph and can jump from one side of the map to another.
This annoy's people on the net when you multi play.

BAM
"....The sound of one who laughs because he chooses not to cry...."

Fabricate Diem punc!

Offline Narceron

• Awesome site!
    • Simon's Webpage
Amored core
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2002, 11:46:03 AM »
Now amored core, that was an awesome game, simple and to the point, kill kill kill

I hated mech commander, too
The ultramarines are the inheritors of the Emperor's legacy, so no more jokes!  Blue is back, baby!

Offline vanquisherau

• Saussie Aussie
  • Who's Next??
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2002, 04:06:46 PM »
You want something going stupidly fast? With pirate moon, you can use Elementals. Strip them of every thing, and max its engine.
zoooooooooom! :)
Can criple an assault 'mech just by hitting it at top speed!

Offline elite Tyranid Warrior

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2002, 11:14:17 PM »
There were some nice games. I liked Mechcommander2 best. The other games had good parts too.
I'm different than all you mutated Lictor prototypes-- The Warrior govenor