News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: What's the use of scarabs?  (Read 5212 times)

Offline SMiF

• ¬_¬ What are you going to do huh?
What's the use of scarabs?
« on: July 16, 2002, 10:44:24 PM »
I still haven't quite figure out what the scarabs are good for.  I mean, I know they're a swarm, but what's good with a swarm when they can't really do anything?  This is what I dun understand!  ???  Are they there to hold ppl back while other ppl come in and assult or smthn?  Currently my scarabs are there in my box collecting dust. :(
SMiFSoNiaN

Offline snakeman111

• Yo MAMA!!!
Re:What's the use of scarabs?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2002, 11:12:14 PM »
Scarabs are awesome.

They can tie up most things like tactical marine squads for many turns and if you are the least bit lucky they can actually win against them. Lets do the numbers game:

10 scarabs vs 10 marines
Marines-150 base
Asuming that nobody charges. (all decimals are going to be rounded up)

Marines go first. 10 attacks. 7 hit. 5 wound. 1 base dies one has 1 wound left.

Scarabs strike back. 27 attacks. 14 hit. 5 wound. 2 marines die.

So from the first round you can see that the Marines are in trouble as they only took out one base while the Scarabs took out two marines.

So use those scarabs to tie stuff up because the combat simulated up top would probably (assuming they dont fall back since scarabs are fearless) will last for 5 turns or more.

Offline SMiF

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2002, 01:38:58 AM »
hmm...but I thought that would be a problem since scarab swarms only have 2 WS and 0 BS?
SMiFSoNiaN

Offline snakeman111

• Yo MAMA!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2002, 07:39:11 PM »
The only way that the WS 2 would hurt is when attack units with WS 5 or higher so it really isnt that big of a deal.

Offline Tycho

• BEEF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • My 40k Site (still lots to to be done)
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2002, 06:06:20 PM »
the scarabs are for close combat but they are really to slow down squads to let the rest of the army to get close enough and use there rapidfire weapons etc
"The Machine is strong. We must purge the weak, hated flesh and replace it with the blessed purity of metal. Only through permanence can we truly triumph, only through the Machine can we find victory. Punish the flesh. Iron in mind and body. Hail the Machine!"

Master Archon

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2002, 12:48:47 PM »
I played against Necrons and my opponent used them as a shield for his warriors and it did work.  It took me 3 turns to get rid of those little things and he was able to advance near my army.

Offline Fuegan

• Death to those who oppose us!
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2002, 01:24:12 PM »
scarabs are cool. against tau i had them get into cc FAST and they do quite well.
over the white cliffs of Dover there is a lovely beach 300 meters below which can be reached in 3.2 seconds.

Ulthwe Strike force   wins:7    draws:0    loss:1

Wood Elves             wins:7    draws:1     loss:4

Chaos                     win:1     draws:0     loss:3

Please visit my site at www.craftworld.s5.c om

Offline Lecron

• I will consume all in my path
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2002, 01:07:12 PM »
LOL I can see the Tau being dragged under swarms of Scarabs.

Offline high-avatar

• It has come for you
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2002, 03:50:00 PM »
Heres a thought waht doesn't kill Tau in close combat?????

Scarabs are still very usefull why just the other day I had a battle against blood angels a 10 man death company inc. chaplain charged my army and the scarab swarms saved the day by distracting the other blood angels in the combat from the lord and warriors!!!!!!
Everything that has a begining must have an end, I see the end I see the Darkness spreading I see Death.

Offline Greg

• Eldar
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2002, 05:16:38 PM »
you cannot go wrong with a few bases of scarabs, they may not work against every army but they are so cheap that it will not seriously dent you points budget anyways.

They work best against assault armies who have to chew through all those scarabs before they can get to your move vauable units

Offline SMiF

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2002, 03:15:14 AM »
Yeah, in the game I played against Eldar I used them to hold down the other guy's banshees, which helped in some way :)  They're quite nice if i have more than 3 on the table.  But a problem is that they are somewhat costly.
SMiFSoNiaN

Offline Greg

• Eldar
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2002, 09:07:43 AM »
scarabs fit nicly into most necron armies, but if you plan on using a lot then they have to be for a specific purpose, a lord with lighning fied, gaze of flame and destroyer body joined with them makes them excellent assault defence. As a counter assault, put them behind the warriors and spring them on any enemy that get within 18". They usually hate hits but hold up the enemy for so long, wyches, banshees, incubi, honour guard, stealers, the lot

Offline True Emperor

• Behold The True Emperor of Man
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2002, 07:01:17 PM »
Actually, one really good use for them is to assault tanks.
Use the disruption fields and sneak attack their armour.  they will never see it coming.....the first time.

Offline chimera

• Whoa, this is the fourth time I died
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2002, 03:47:39 PM »
scarabs suck! HARD! My chaos lord (kraf) survived 6 in a row!
)@)
Ich bin die Verkörperung des Todes!

Im waitng in my cold cell,
When the bell begins to chime,
Reflecting on my past life,
And it doesn't have much time.

Cause at five o'clock,
 they take me to the gallows oooooohhhh!
The sands of time,
for me, are running low!

Offline Kraf

• A Beautiful Sickness
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2002, 03:50:48 PM »
AAAARRRRRRGGGH! F***ing login! I made that last reply
)@)
IF THEY BLEED, WE CAN KILL THEM

Hellbard Kraf, former Chosen of Nurgle, and escaped slave of the Imperium.

Offline SMiF

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2002, 04:29:47 PM »
They actually hold up the banshees for quite a long time when I played.  I was surprised they actually lasted that long! (about 2-3 rounds).
SMiFSoNiaN

Swift

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2002, 09:34:20 PM »
But don't forget the you had wraiths in combat with the banshees that's why the scarabs lasted that long. Are you trying to say your scarabs can last longer than marines? 3 based scarabs 3 wounds each so a total of 9 wounds, and i'll just say i have 9 marines in combat with the banshees. Would I last a long time? I don't think so. Your scarabs also have a high save and they have a very low Ws so of course scarabs would die first instead of marines. The reason why your scarabs lasted so long because the banshees were busy with the wraiths.

But I have to agree the scarabs are good to tangle up squads. It's probably that the person had horrible roles with banshees~!

Offline snakeman111

• Yo MAMA!!!
« Reply #17 on: August 1, 2002, 01:34:04 AM »

Are you trying to say your scarabs can last longer than marines? 3 based scarabs 3 wounds each so a total of 9 wounds, and i'll just say i have 9 marines in combat with the banshees.

Your funny.
3 scarabs = 36 points
9 marines =135 points
And your comparing them.
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA HAHAAHHA
Lets even things up now.
11 scarabs =132 points
9 marines = 132 points

Now you play test them vs banshees and again vs each other and you tell me who does better.

hehe...you crack me up.

Offline SMiF

« Reply #18 on: August 1, 2002, 02:54:15 AM »
Swift.

You got a point.  Marines can do a lot better when dealing with banshees, but in return their point costs a whole lot more.  My scarabs swarms are just good at entangling people to keep enemies at bay while my other forces engaged either other enemies or attack the group that was entangled.  Hence preventing them from shooting.  My scarabs have 3 wound each and cost 3 points less than a marine that have only one wound.  So basically, I've traded in the strength of my attacks for more attacks and more wounds and costs cheaper.
SMiFSoNiaN

Offline Trunkhead

• Drunken Master
  • Ancient
  • Cause this is too funny
« Reply #19 on: August 7, 2002, 09:07:47 PM »
40k is all about rolling dice.  The more dice your roll the better chance you have of killing your opponent.  The more dice your roll, higher the odds of failing your save.  This is basically the concept behind the entire Necron army, if you don't roll at least averages then you dont' stand a chance (can't glance vehicles, wont' pass your WBB roles, etc)

Scarab swarms eptiomize this.  They just roll a ton of dice, you are going to kill stuff.  And with your 3 wounds a piece and FEARLESS! your going to stick around until you get the job done.  A great tactic for swarms is to run down field and start a combat in a fire lane for your opponent.  For instance that assualt squad advancing under fire of a devastator squad?  If you attack the assualt squad w/ the swarm  you've just cut off his Dev squad since he can't shoot through combat.  This combat will last a while letting you whittle down the rest of his army. and you stand a decent chance of winning.  If you can get them assualt w/ Dev's squads that's always fun too.
You know what I'll say when I see God?
I'm going to tell him I was framed
 - The Way of the Gun