News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Glitter and Harlequins?  (Read 3957 times)

Offline Wyldhunt

Glitter and Harlequins?
« on: February 8, 2015, 12:27:58 PM »
So I'll be putting my new harlequins together and painting both the new and the old ones today.  I've had what is most probably a terrible, TERRIBLE idea floating around in my head wherein I use a sprinkling of glitter, possibly increasing the amount of glitter as I near the edges of the harlequin, to represent colorful effects of their holosuits.  Towards these ends, I have purchased some extra fine glitter, and I'll be painting in a matter of hours.  What say you, 40konline?  Is this as awful an idea as I fear it might be? Only you can save the test model from the fate that awaits him.

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
Re: Glitter and Harlequins?
« Reply #1 on: February 8, 2015, 12:31:28 PM »
If done right I think it could be really cool to see.  However, I would try it on something that isn't a test harlequin.  Like if you have a spare guardian kicking around or something.  Maybe even try it on a piece of sprue  first.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #2 on: February 8, 2015, 12:42:31 PM »
I fully support this plan. I fully support those who support this plan. I fully support the plan even when I do not, in fact, support it.

All I ask for is pictures.

(on a technical note: how do you plan to accomplish this without getting glitter all over the model? A very small funnel? Some kind of glitter-brush?)

Offline Wyldhunt

« Reply #3 on: February 8, 2015, 01:13:17 PM »
I was planning on using q-tips. For light applications, I think simply shaking the tip over the desired area lightly should get the desired effect.  When I move to the edge where the holo-effect grows stronger, I can use the tips to paint the glitter  on.  Some combination of water, wet paint, and or even glue can be used to secure the glitter if it doesn't want to stay on the model by itself.

Sorry for the double-post.  I have pics of the new harlies assembled and partially painted.  How do I upload them in such a way as to make them visible for everyone?

Double post merged - Iris.
« Last Edit: February 9, 2015, 05:19:33 AM by Irisado »

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #4 on: February 9, 2015, 05:24:10 AM »
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Aoitora

• Aspect Warrior
« Reply #5 on: February 9, 2015, 05:49:02 AM »
I use glitter on all my Eldar power weapons and on some of my wave serpents. The effect isnt as great as I had hoped for but it looks all right.

I used this glitter glue stuff from an art store. Its just clear glue with glitter in it. I squirt it on to a piece of disposable cardboard and using an old brush then paint it.

Offline Ambience 327

« Reply #6 on: February 9, 2015, 11:15:47 AM »
Have you considered using glitter-filled fingernail polish?

Offline Wyldhunt

« Reply #7 on: February 9, 2015, 12:12:30 PM »
Thanks for the tips, everyone!  I've assembled my new harlies and started painting them.  Unfortunately, I have shakey hands and only a camera phone with which to take pictures of them, so I apologize about the poor quality. Also, I couldn't figure out how to get the images to come through as thumbnails using photobucket. ^_^;

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #8 on: February 9, 2015, 01:03:16 PM »
I really wish phone camera's had never been invented. Try using a brighter light and set your camera to sport mode if you can to prevent blurring.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #9 on: February 9, 2015, 04:01:59 PM »
To link the images from photobucket, on the right side of the screen will be a list of options that have links in them.  If you clink on the link beside "Direct", it will automatically copy the link for you, then just paste the link between the img tags
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Ambience 327

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 10:50:26 AM »
For better camera-phone pics:

1) Use good lighting (natural daylight on a partly cloudy day is best, light from several different sources a decent distance from your models is second best).

2) Brace your phone on something (a tripod is best, but just holding your phone and/or wrists against a book, chair back or other solid object helps you hold steady)

3) Use the MACRO or CLOSEUP setting on your camera if available (often has a symbol that looks like a little flower). If not available, back off a bit from your subject and zoom in. (tip #2 is even more valuable if you do this)

Offline Wyldhunt

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2015, 06:05:54 PM »
Only partially painted, but here are my new harlequins.  These probably won't be the ones to have glitter experiments run on them.  These guys will be my twilight troupe.  My light troupe will be sporting a bit more blue and less black.  My dark troupe will be using lots of black, red, and gold and will have a bit of a Batman theme to them.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #12 on: March 3, 2015, 08:37:15 PM »
I toyed with glitter a couple of times. The problem I ran into was finding an area big enough to hold the glitter fragments and getting the right density.  I didn't try the nail polish though.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #13 on: March 5, 2015, 03:22:36 AM »
There are some glitter paints in the craft sections of most hobby stores. I haven't used them so can't say how well they work.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword