News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 30 Years Since Tolkeins Death  (Read 1136 times)

Offline Pokpoko

• Fell deeds await
Re:30 Years Since Tolkeins Death
« Reply #20 on: September 5, 2003, 05:18:56 PM »
well.i think he is great.but not because of his writing style(booring)but the imagination that enabled him to change Scandinavian sagas to what became a genere called "fantasy"...i mean before him the elves were small flying fairies(faerie) and dvarves were..umm...well they were dvarves ;D...and i also found third book the most boring...first part was the best... ::)
You, who are in the thick of battle-
My heart seeks the death by the obsidian blade
We wish only for the death in battle!

Offline Vaelyn

• Paranoia is just reality on a grander scale.
« Reply #21 on: September 6, 2003, 04:27:27 AM »
  I think some of you should reread the Master later... when you mature a bit (no offense.).  Middle-Earth is one of the great gifts literature has given to mankind.  And do try to read things like The Silmarillion; it explains a LOT of seemingly trivial events in LOTR.
  For example, one small scene in the book (which also appears in the movie) has Frodo offering the Ring to Galadriel.  After a scary speech by the Elf Queen, she regains her composure and declares:
"I passed the Test!  I will diminish, and remain Galadriel.
Now I can fade from the world, and pass away into the West." (paraphrasing).
  LOTR doesn't explain what she's talking about, but readers of The Silmarillion will recognize that she's referring to the Ban of the Noldor, the prohibition against returning to the land of the gods far off in the West.  This Ban was placed on the hosts of the Noldor (High Elves) when they rebelled against the gods and sought to return to Middle-Earth  to fight the Dark Lord Morgoth.  So eager were they to go that a faction of the Elves led by Feanor seized the ships of their cousins the Teleri (Sea-Elves, who had refused them passage), murdering them by the hundreds.  
Galadriel was one of the Noldor, and although she was not present at the Kinslaying (she was part of another group that came later), she too came under the Ban and was forbidden to return to the Immortal lands.  
So by refusing the Ring, she was absolved of a VERY, VERY, VERY ancient crime.  You wouldn't know this if you hadn't read the other book.

Offline Pokpoko

• Fell deeds await
« Reply #22 on: September 6, 2003, 04:48:50 AM »
 I think some of you should reread the Master later... when you mature a bit (no offense.).
-i'v tried to reread it three times...first:failed the third part-tooboring..saecond try-read all but still failed to entertain me... third try-stopped at Two Towers due to absolute lack of interest(iv known what will happen and so on)  
You wouldn't know this if you hadn't read the other book.
and that would make me?poorer not to know this?...actually i far more enjoyed reading the"Wiedzmin"(witcher?)saga...it is five parts but in quantity as long as "Lord"..but far more mature and dark/realistic...no gods,no dark enemies,no hidden kings of old...a world full of politics,murder and hardship...and no Yhwh-condemned gollums!!

Offline Pat Khils

• Phantom Lord
  • Ancient
  • Silent Night, Bodom Night
    • Anton's Vault
« Reply #23 on: September 6, 2003, 05:55:19 AM »
seriously if you failed to finish any book, no ownder you dont like it.
Apparently some of you guys dont like descriptive writting so much.  LoTR was far more interesting than War and Piece, that was a boring book.  
Tolkien created thsi world with his very very creative mind, I dont think very many other writters can match his creativeness.  Not only that, but I never got bored reading LoTR. The only parts that were boring were some in Fellow Ship. The two towers was a great book, and The Return of The King is even better.  If you stoped at the Towers dont even bother finsihing the book. Better live in ignorance not knowing the end because you got "too bored", than complain about it.

Anyways we all have our different oppinions, it just happens that I love Tolkien's books and LoTR.

s i m a n o v: portfolio | deviant art

Offline Dark Exodus

« Reply #24 on: September 6, 2003, 06:01:31 AM »
Well not all of his stuff is made up (eg. elves,dwarfes)
they were little known about(compared to now) norse legends...

Archon Vijayle

« Reply #25 on: September 6, 2003, 06:03:38 AM »
tolkein never really appealed to me. Though he's the founder of fantasy, the problem is everybody else already ripped his stories off. By the time I got around to LoTR it was as though I'd already read it. Some scenes were also less than amazing: for example how he can write six pages about a forest in descriptive prose, and then go on to summarise battles in about a line. He really needed to counterbalance that.

Mainly though, hats off to his epic-ness, and and hats back on for the abominable movie.

Offline Pokpoko

• Fell deeds await
« Reply #26 on: September 6, 2003, 07:16:55 AM »
seriously if you failed to finish any book, no ownder you dont like it.
If you stoped at the Towers dont even bother finsihing the book. Better live in ignorance not knowing the end because you got "too bored", than complain about it.
ok,maybe i didn't write it right..i read whole LotR...just that i was three tries-first time i didnt manage to read the return Of KIng,Second Time i read it i read the whole damn trilogy,third time(about two months ago)i found it too boring and repetitive to even end the Two towers...comprende now? ::)

Offline HarlequinSolitaire

• Not Sloataire or Solataire... Solitaire.
« Reply #27 on: September 6, 2003, 08:16:41 AM »
I think the movie director is trying to make Gollum into Jar Jar Binks.... The most despicable film character ever....
'An eye for an eye, and soon the world is blind'

Ghandi

Offline Pat Khils

• Phantom Lord
  • Ancient
    • Anton's Vault
« Reply #28 on: September 6, 2003, 07:18:36 PM »
either way I think they did a great job on Golum's character.

Pokpoko, yes you didnt write it right the first time, so dont get smart the second.  
I wouldnt reread LoTR more than once, and if I would I would skip around to the good parts (and there are good parts). I read it once, and when I take Ap Lit next year i will reread it again, and thats probably it.  His other books are still good.  The Lost Tales realyl explain about middle earth and how it was created and the histories of different racers. Silmarilion explains some stuff from loTR, and The Hobbit just sucks. I can summarize that book in one to two sentences.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #29 on: September 7, 2003, 01:17:39 AM »
I have read the Hobbit... oh, forty times at least, and the Lord of the Rings... five times I think. They are brilliant books worth re-reading over and over, but I know some people just "don't get it", or are not of the mindset which allows them to reread the rather hard-ploughed references. To each their own, of course, but I still claim that in its original form, in its original language, it is beyond compare, whereas translations, movie-adaptations and comics are sub-par.

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline Pat Khils

• Phantom Lord
  • Ancient
    • Anton's Vault
« Reply #30 on: September 7, 2003, 05:07:28 AM »
yea I agree with you all the way.

Sure there were dwarves and elves before him, but he was the first one to put all of those creatures together into one world under one setting, he was simply briliant.
The language, or languages that he created were insane also.
The book never get boring to me, and I love to reread some scenes in it after watching LoTR movie, either one.