News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Aun'Shi Tau Ethereal (Legal ?)  (Read 2745 times)

Offline Simaka

Aun'Shi Tau Ethereal (Legal ?)
« on: April 5, 2008, 10:50:56 PM »
Hey everyone, I recently got the model for Aun'Shi  but he isn't in the latest codex.  I've heard he is in the older versions of the tau codex, so I'm wondering if he is legal to use?  If so are there any updated stats?

The only reason I ask this is because they still offer him on the GW site for purchase and it seems strange that they would sell a model you can't legally use.

Offline Heretek

• General Freyberg | Out, damn'd Grot! | Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: Aun'Shi Tau Ethereal (Legal ?)
« Reply #1 on: April 5, 2008, 10:57:27 PM »
No, you can no longer use Aun'Shi as he was. You can still use the model as a standard Ethereal, however, which is probably why they still produce the model.

Offline Soredrummer

• With Oden on Our Side
« Reply #2 on: April 5, 2008, 11:08:04 PM »
I've heard he is in the older versions of the tau codex, so I'm wondering if he is legal to use? 

That is true, he is listed w/ all the stats and special rules in codex Tau (not Tau Empire).

In a friendly game i wouldn't have a problem with an opponent using him since he has official stats/special rules, in something more "official" i don't know if you would be able to use the rules for the character. I'm sure you could use the model as a Ethereal but not play w/ it as the special character since it's been removed (or replaced) in the more recent codex.

As far as GW still selling the model they probably produced X number of them w/ the Tau codex but than dropped the character in the update. So although they aren't producing anymore, they will still get their money back for all the models that they produced and once it goes out of stock there wont be anymore produced or sold.

Offline Siege_TF

• Lazerous Penguin
  • *Slurp* I mean... *Sip*
« Reply #3 on: April 6, 2008, 12:26:51 PM »
Hay guys, I say a Doomrider box at my local hobby store. I can still use him right?!
Doomrider! Na, na, na, na!

Older characters have rules at Games Workshop's website, though for some reason GW claims they are 'experimental' characters, rather than 'retired' characters, and they all require your opponent's permission to use. In the case of Aun'Shi someone at GW decided that characters should enhance the strengths of the armies they are in, instead of make up for weaknesses. So either the Tau were surprisingly good at close combat and Aun'Shi was a bonus, or he was making up for the Tau's lackluster close combat performance.

Rather obvious which one of these GW decided he was.

Farsight didn't get borked because he was popular for conversions.
Onager 
/ˈänəjər
/Noun
An animal of a race of the Asian wild ass (Equus hemionus onager) native to northern Iran.

In other words GW are calling Tau players wild asses for wanting a melee suit option.