News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1,000 pt list  (Read 2148 times)

Offline jkmoore

• Join or die.
1,000 pt list
« on: June 19, 2007, 12:20:25 AM »
I will get started immediately. This is my first attempt at fluff, and as such, be as brutal as you can.

HQ

Shas'el Mont'va- The blood of good
Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, Targeting Array, HW multi-tracker
97 pts

Despite his vast experience, this commander had committed the sin of greed, caring more about his own survival than that of the cause of the Greater Good. As punishment, the ethereal caste had his past names replaced with his current title to remind him of his mistakes. He is now restricted to a configuration commonly accepted to be the most effective. He has two possible fates: to redeem himself in battle or to die in battle.

Elite

3 Crisis Battlesuits
3x Plasma Rifle, Missile Pods, Multi-Tracker
186 pts

This trio of pilots has survived everything from grot blastas to lascannons using their maneuverability. They are beginning to develop a bond to each other through each other's reliability and devotion to their cause.

3 stealthsuits
90 Pt's

Over the cadre's short history, it has suffered massive casualties in stealthsuit users, because they were forced into tasks requiring great skill and stealth or were simply just too impatient. The latest composition committed to the field is that of all burst cannons, utilizing their longer range.

Troops

12 fire warriors
Shas'ui w/ bonding knife
Devilfish w/ multi-tracker and decoy launchers
230 pts

This group has perfected the art of dropping out of a transpot and drowning the enemy in plasma. As their skills increased, so did their trust for one another, as they eventually performed the Ta'lissera.

12 fire warriors
Shas'ui w/ markerlight and target lock
145 pts

The fire warriors of this squad were just recently added to the composition and thus were given the customary markerlight, which has become a tradition.

11 kroot
77 pts

These kroot have been seen in use mainly as scouts, often popping out of a nearby bush and screeching as they charge the enemy.

Heavy support

Hammerhead
Railgun, Burst cannons, multi-tracker, Decoy Launchers, Target lock, Disruption Pods
175 pts

When this tank was first deployed it was met with great approval as the cadre was having trouble dealing with heavy tanks in that particular campaign.

total
1,000 pts

There you have it. I have this really big feeling that I need to work on the fluff, but I might as well show this to you before working any further on it.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 09:59:19 AM by jkmoore »
It is better to live for the greater good than to die for the emperor.

(Image removed from quote.)

Offline Derikari

• I Brake for Kroot
  • I gots a title! ... I don't get it.
Re: 1,000 pt list
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 01:42:31 AM »
3 Crisis Battlesuits
186 pts

Fluffwise it sounds like these guys could use a bonding knife, practical wise, they could use a bonding knife. Or, you could move 1 guy to your spare elite slot and not need the bonding at all.

3 stealthsuits
90 pts

From my experience, 3 do nothing. Against Orks I would have been lucky if I got a kill out of them every other turn, but that was just poor rolling every shooting phase. 4 however, kill many things.

11 kroot
77 pts

Take either 10 Kroot or 12, it’s better for scoring and morale. By the fluff, if you are using them as pure assaulters then take 10 Kroot and flesh them out with Hounds.

Hammerhead
Railgun, Burst cannons, multi-tracker, Decoy Launchers, Target lock, Disruption Pods
175 pts

Dump the disruption pod and stick to SMF and hiding. Yes, it helps when the Hammerhead is stunned (as it should be hiding first turn), but first it has to be stunned. AV13 skimmer, only 1 result will stop it moving while letting it live.

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 01:17:59 PM »
hello there - its great that you are even attempting to add fluff! its worth the effort early on to stamp some sort of identity to your guys which you can build upon through your games and as you add to your army.

HQ

97 pts

Despite his vast experience, this commander had committed the sin of greed, caring more about his own survival than that of the cause of the Greater Good. As punishment, the ethereal caste had his past names replaced with his current title to remind him of his mistakes. He is now restricted to a configuration commonly accepted to be the most effective. He has two possible fates: to redeem himself in battle or to die in battle.

a nice set up to take advantage of the potency of your weapon selection. its important especially in low point games to be very critical of spending on any one model and you seem to have done ok here. 

Elite

3 Crisis Battlesuits
186 pts

This trio of pilots has survived everything from grot blastas to lascannons using their maneuverability. They are beginning to develop a bond to each other through each other's reliability and devotion to their cause.

my first comment is to make these guys bonded for effectiveness. hopefully this will be achieved by them for larger point games. you do have a number of options here - the first is to divide the team up, using your fre elites slot - the second is to drop one suit and use the points to increase teh size of your stealth suit team. (of course the secret third option is to keep everything as you have it now)

3 stealthsuits
90 Pt's

Over the cadre's short history, it has suffered massive casualties in stealthsuit users, because they were forced into tasks requiring great skill and stealth or were simply just too impatient. The latest composition committed to the field is that of all burst cannons, utilizing their longer range.

hopefully you can soon replace your losses. as pointed out - three stealth suits just dont perform well enough for a starting unit. i would usually say that 4 would be the minimum starting strength for effectiveness. all burst cannons is a good use for them. with all that said - its still a good use for 90pts imo.

Troops

12 fire warriors
Shas'ui w/ bonding knife
230 pts

This group has perfected the art of dropping out of a transpot and drowning the enemy in plasma. As their skills increased, so did their trust for one another, as they eventually performed the Ta'lissera.

if you need to shave points for things then you can do this by dropping one or two fire warriors here. whilst this does affect them, if you need to redirect those points then it can be compensated for. the bonding knife is helpful here as described above - in order to get them to hold their ground once advanced.

12 fire warriors
145 pts

The fire warriors of this squad were just recently added to the composition and thus were given the customary markerlight, which has become a tradition.

be careful when using full 12 man units as they suffer from getting assaulted. being large they often hold up the enemy through no fault of their own which means you cannot shoot the chargers in the following turn. my play is to hopefully let the enemy kill the fire warriors in a good charge and be left in the open for my retaliation. the markerlight is a nice option - but dont feel you HAVE to make use of it every turn! if you want to get the most out of a static fire base unit then look to add marker drones, these encourage large unit sizes.

i think you have a number of options here again - firstly to divide (and conquer) or secondly to maximise the use of their size (again that third option is still around).

i do feel that a bonding knife might be useful - but i know that when it starts getting tight for points you have to make sacrifices in places.

11 kroot
77 pts

These kroot have been seen in use mainly as scouts, often popping out of a nearby bush and screeching as they charge the enemy.

a simple unit - but effective, as long as you know how to use them. the other day i played against a tau player (with marines)whom i thought had them sussed by keeping them static in a woods to hold me at bay - i had a flamer in teh unit and needed to try to get rid of the kroot before they shot me up... but i was mistaken as the enemy did not realise teh threat and eventually charged them away to another of my units - only to be cut down. their lower initiative means that they are really best served receiving charges in cover from enemy without grenades... their infiltrate abiity is also incredibly useful.

Heavy support

Hammerhead
175 pts

When this tank was first deployed it was met with great approval as the cadre was having trouble dealing with heavy tanks in that particular campaign.

drop the disruption pod - as by using the multi tracker to move over 6" you will always benefit from teh skimmer moving fast rule. other than that its ok! as you main anti tank this is not a real problem - in 1000pts this, coupled with the many missile pods you have should be sufficient.

overall i think you have a solid 1000pt force. i think its important though - that you not invest too much in a few units. i find it more useful to have many units as opposed to a few big ones.  there are exceptions to this of course, when it comes to taking full advantage of markerlights - but in 1000pts its difficult to create a sustainable markerlight network anyway. as always, you have all the right ingredients and its good to see effort with background...

oinks overview: 50%
although theres nothing particularly unique about the units or the army it has been thought through and you've got a lot into your 1000pts. its quite archetypical but you've made a good effort to stamp your background on it. a bit of refinement will ensure it makes the most of itself.

Offline jkmoore

• Join or die.
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 10:02:27 PM »
Alright, let's see what I can do with that advice.

HQ

97 pts

Whee.

Elite

2 Crisis Battlesuits
2x Plasma Rifle, Missile Pods, Multi-Tracker
Team leader with bonding knife
134 pts

At times, 3 suits did seem a bit redundant. One ta'lissera and an unfortunate lascannon shot later, I have this unit.

5 stealthsuits
150 pts

There. Now I have to manually remove the fusion blaster from one of my models and glue on the burst cannon.

Troops

12 fire warriors
Shas'ui w/ bonding knife
230 pts

Nothing different.

11 fire warriors
135 pts

needed the points for the stealthsuits.

12 kroot
84 pts

I need hounds for this unit.

Heavy support

Hammerhead
Railgun, Burst cannons, multi-tracker, Decoy Launchers, Target lock
170 pts

Hahah!

total
1,000 pts

Regarding the fluff: I'm too afraid to make tau names. I'm also unsure as to the lifestyle of the average tau as well as their opinion on things. I might have trouble with this one.

Offline int main()

• Crouching Broadside,Hidden Stealthsuit
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 10:32:14 PM »
Dropping the 11th Fire Warrior in the foot squad for team leader+bonding for your stealth team would be nice.Don't discount their ability to piss the enemy off(even just 2 of them),especially if you're facing a hordy army.

Burn the Sister of Battle.
Kill the Space Marine.
Purge the Grey Knight.
Destroy the Imperium.
Let the Galaxy burn!

Offline jkmoore

• Join or die.
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 11:38:12 PM »
oh, stupid me. I bonded a two-man team :-[.

take bonding off of the crisis suit team, apply bonding to stealthsuits.

Let see here... names, names, names.

stealthsuits: stealthsuit squad... mien'ai.

FoF squad: fire warrior team... sak'an'a.

Markerlight squad: fire warrior team... hi'kal'i.

battlesuit squad: battlesuit squad... shi'ni'gam'i.

There. Do they sound tau enough?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 11:53:32 PM by jkmoore »

Offline int main()

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 01:05:55 AM »
battlesuit squad... shi'ni'gam'i.

No,that should be gun'dam  ;D.And for that markerlight squads should be hi'kar'i
Kill the Space Marine.
Purge the Grey Knight.
Destroy the Imperium.
Let the Galaxy burn!

Offline Derikari

• I Brake for Kroot
  • I gots a title! ... I don't get it.
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 01:28:31 AM »
12 kroot
84 pts

Why do you need Hounds? How often are these guys in assaults? Do they take charges, or initiate them? How often do they sit and shoot? If you aren’t actively pursuing assaults I see little use for Hounds, one measy point more you get a guy who can shoot, and is just as good in the first turn of assault as they should be sitting in cover. If they shoot, who cares if Hounds can do more damage in the later rounds of melee, they may not be needed if you shoot the target into oblivion.

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 06:39:56 AM »
if you want to keep the fusion on your stealth suit (to save you modelling havoc) then you can try to find points to give the team leader a fusion gun with a target lock. this means the rest of the unit is not as affected by the requirement for the anti tank shot...

you will need 7pts total (ie - look to your kroot)

Offline jkmoore

• Join or die.
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 12:43:02 PM »
battlesuit squad... shi'ni'gam'i.

No,that should be gun'dam  ;D.And for that markerlight squads should be hi'kar'i
the 'r' in most english versions of japanese words is actually the lazy white way of expressing a sound capable by the japanese language. This sound is halfway between R and L. I also believe that replacing the common 'r' with an 'L' would make it sound more subtle.

As for gun'dam... but then everybody would get it.
12 kroot
84 pts

Why do you need Hounds? How often are these guys in assaults? Do they take charges, or initiate them? How often do they sit and shoot? If you aren’t actively pursuing assaults I see little use for Hounds, one measy point more you get a guy who can shoot, and is just as good in the first turn of assault as they should be sitting in cover. If they shoot, who cares if Hounds can do more damage in the later rounds of melee, they may not be needed if you shoot the target into oblivion.

I don't need hounds, but I would want them.

Offline int main()

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007, 01:24:39 PM »
the 'r' in most english versions of japanese words is actually the lazy white way of expressing a sound capable by the japanese language. This sound is halfway between R and L.

Actually,I think it's not so much between 'r' and 'l' as a need to bend the japanese language to fit in foreign words that could previously not be pronounced.

As for gun'dam... but then everybody would get it.

Lol,you weeaboo  :D
Kill the Space Marine.
Purge the Grey Knight.
Destroy the Imperium.
Let the Galaxy burn!

Offline jkmoore

• Join or die.
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2007, 02:54:51 PM »
Lol,you weeaboo 

A what?

1,000 pts, third draft.

HQ

97 pts

Elite

Crisis suit team shi'ni'ga'mi
2 Crisis Battlesuits
2x Plasma Rifle, Missile Pods, Multi-Tracker
124 pts

Stealthsuit squad mi'en'ai
5 stealthsuits
Team leader with bonding knife, fusion blaster, and target lock
167 pts

Troops

Fire warrior team sa'kan'a
12 fire warriors
Shas'ui w/ bonding knife
230 pts

Fire warrior team hi'kal'i
11 fire warriors
135 pts

11 kroot
77 pts

Heavy support

Hammerhead
Railgun, Burst cannons, multi-tracker, Decoy Launchers, Target lock
170 pts

total
1,000 pts
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 08:32:32 PM by jkmoore »