News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: DE Archon....need ideas :)  (Read 1452 times)

Offline noodle1138

• Yippee-kay-aye!
DE Archon....need ideas :)
« on: February 6, 2011, 11:17:15 AM »
Hi guys and gals

I would love some advice.....I've just started a DE army and I'm looking for inspiration for my Archon.  The metal one from GW is ok, but everyone is gonna have that.... I was thinking of converting my eldar bonesinger somehow. Does anyone have any ideas on how to go about it or any ideas of other models out there that could be used in the Archon role, conversion or not?

Thanks in advance :)

Offline Galef

Re: DE Archon....need ideas :)
« Reply #1 on: February 6, 2011, 02:45:44 PM »
You could just convert one from various Wych & Warrior bitz.  My Archon is made from High Elf legs, Warrior torso & Black Ark Corsair head.

Picture w/ Klaivex
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_b1VmD9xlLxI/TT8dC8uE_-I/AAAAAAAAAnI/tSAYpgkcsIE/s1600/Archon%2B%2526%2BKlaivex.JPG
Glenn's GW model Blog: Glenn's GW Models

Current Armies:
Aeldari: Glenn's GW Minis: Eldar and Dark Eldar

Offline Exergy

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: February 7, 2011, 12:59:12 AM »
I have more than a dozen archon models
I converted 3 phoniex lords into archons:
Asurmen; just changed out his catapults for a blast/splinter pistol
Maugan Ra; made him some lightning claws out of random spiky bits(old warriors bayonettes)
Karandras; filed down his chain sword into a normal sword and changed his catapult.

I also made one out of a dark elf executioner.  Instead of the 2handed weapon I gave him the old archon agonizer and a pistol.

Another was one of the old Vect's gunners with the huge optical scanner over his eye.  Instead of using heavy weapons army I gave him a pistol and power weapon.  (he is a little light for an archon, but I sometimes use him in smaller games.  I like the idea of the tabletop general having a huge scanner to watch what is going on in battle)

I made one on a jetbike I can no longer use out of old reaver, warrrior, and incubi bits with his bike a combination of a jetbike and a skyboard.

The old drazzar looks good if you convert him to carry a punisher or helglave instead of his long blades. 

The rest are just the standard models form long ago or buffed up warrior sprues. 

Overall the Phoenix lords are my favorite to use, the models are very detailed and look great as Dark Eldar.

Offline IncubiLord

• Archon
  • Self-Proclaimed Incubi Master of the CoA
« Reply #3 on: February 7, 2011, 02:57:43 AM »
I would say not to mutilate your Bonesinger to make him fit as an Archon.

First off, the Bonesinger is standing on CWE wraithbone - which would look wrong as just scenery under a DE Archon.
Second, the Bonesinger is wearing that funny wraithbone armor that all Farseers and Warlocks have - not only does it simply look like CWE psyker-armor, but those are CWE rune-shapes in the armor. You'd need to modify that to make it look DE.
Third, you need to cut the wraithbone triple-handaxe-thing out of his right hand and pretty-much replace the head (with its wraithbone antler-things), too.

What the others have hinted at and is the general norm is simply to look about the DE, CWE, and WHFB (fill-in-the-blank) Elves for bits you like and then do some kitbashing. I suppose you could resculpt a little to make an old Malcadon Spyerer or Imperial Assassin work, too...

The general guideline here is that you're looking for smooth-and-sinister armor, nothing that looks too crude or 'nice' - while avioding having the iconography of a different faction on your Dark Eldar.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 02:20:44 AM by IncubiLord »

Just blame IncubiLord - Kwi

Offline Kite66

« Reply #4 on: February 7, 2011, 08:06:29 PM »
Also if you want to screw around with pewter body chunks do so carefully. My archon is using Banshee Exarch legs (origionally torso also..... and it origionally was my Autarch, poor model went though quite a few changes).

Offline noodle1138

• Yippee-kay-aye!
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 05:16:20 AM »
Thanks guys

Some good inspiration there, looks like a dive into my bitz box is looming :)

As soon as I have everything painted, it will be on here :D