News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: No more green tide formation?  (Read 6078 times)

Offline AndreSTL

• Armies: GOFFS! BAD MOONZ! Tallarn/Cadian IG, White Scars
No more green tide formation?
« on: April 9, 2016, 11:55:00 PM »
So.... I've been reading and as far as I can tell, it looks as though the "green tide formation" is no longer legal.

Do you guys think the "green tide" from the apocalypse book would still be legal!???
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 06:24:59 PM by AndreSTL »
Doesn't Ally well with others...

Offline Ork E Nuff

• Ork Boy
  • 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go!!!!!
  • Armies: Orks, SM (occassionally)
Re: No more green tide formation?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 04:18:40 PM »
IMHO:  A green tide by any other name is merely 3 30 ork units with an HQ choice attached...or at least fighting in the immediate vicinity.  If you can legally purchase for a force a unit of 30 boyz, then 3 of them is literally a tide...only legal in anyone's book or tourney...

I still run this...love it.  Nothing like setting up huge units that carpet the landscape from horizon to horizon and go steamrolling across the table. 

Anyway, my 2 teef!

Blood n Guts is nuffin more dan bio-d-gradible axle grease.....Remember, that which does not kill you, will only try harder the next time...I've named me attack squig "Skippy"....is that wrong?

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 07:18:29 PM »
So the Green Tide formation was taken out of the Ghaz reprint?  That's a shame since it was quite literally the only worthwhile thing for me in the original book.  Suppose I should have seen it coming though, something useful for Orks, no that has to go.

For those unfamiliar, it is similar to the Apocalypse Formation (ref pg 140 Apocalypse 2012) except that the Waaagh called every turn would affect the entire Ork army, you loose the Follow Me Ladz rule, and the formation MUST be taken from the Ghaz sublist with the rules and caveats that apply (relics, and Ghaz special rules).

For friendly games I can totally see you getting away with using the old version or the Apoc formation.  For more competitive games though you are a bit out of luck.  From every tourney I've seen, not to mention more than a few more local competitive events the Apoc book is totally off the table, the reason cited is usually that the rules are set up for Apoc games and not games under 3000 pts.

In the end, the Green Tide was originally a misnomer for a Footslogger Ork Horde, and I suppose it will return to just a title.  Not a big deal.  But in the end its just one more kick we get from GW for playing something other then SMurfs.

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 07:31:22 AM »
Why do you need a green tide? It doesn't have enough trucks, buggies, bikes, and coptas to make it go fast...  :)

Just get blocks of 12 boys and put them in trucks, with the "new" ork detachment rule you can get nine of those units now.  8) (see page 102 ork codex)

Conversely; if you are into rolling thunder take units of 20 boys and put them in battle wagons.

Either way, make sure to paint them red  ;D

My two teef
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline Ork E Nuff

• Ork Boy
  • 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go!!!!!
  • Armies: Orks, SM (occassionally)
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 11:20:15 AM »
Skeet:  Oh wise one...it's called the Green Tide...not the Red Tide...speed freaks...<shakes head>
Blood n Guts is nuffin more dan bio-d-gradible axle grease.....Remember, that which does not kill you, will only try harder the next time...I've named me attack squig "Skippy"....is that wrong?

Offline AndreSTL

• Armies: GOFFS! BAD MOONZ! Tallarn/Cadian IG, White Scars
« Reply #5 on: August 3, 2016, 12:28:46 PM »
So new errata out there says you can still use the green tide. Just FYI out there to all you tide lovers!

cheers!
Doesn't Ally well with others...

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 3, 2016, 12:47:09 PM »
What errata are you talking about Andre?  The FAQ for Orks is still the old one from last December that modded the Big Bomm and Deffstorm Mega Shoota.

Is there a new place where GW is putting updated FAQs and I missed the memo?  I wouldn't put it past them since they didn't tell anyone when they moved them to the Black Library site, but to my knowledge that's still the place for current FAQs.

When you get a chance, please post a link to this errata.  I need to see it, if for no other reason then the hope that this Errata also changes Bosspole to rerolling the failed Ld test instead of the chart, KFF protecting units instead of models again, and Cybork returning to a Deamon level invul save. (I know its doubtful any of those things will happen till a new Ork dex, but I'm being hopeful!)

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #7 on: August 3, 2016, 05:18:51 PM »
On the GW facebook page they have been putting out a draft FAQ and errata each Wednesday. Orks was done a couple of weeks ago, and it said that the green tide was still good to use.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #8 on: August 7, 2016, 07:00:04 AM »
I still stick to the "why do you need a Green Tide?" theory.

With the force org chart in the current codex you get nine troop choices. That is nine trucks with 11 boys and a nob in each one. Total of 99 boys and 9 nobs for a grand total of 118 orks. Orks that go fast, can get into a fight usually by turn two, and can get back into the truck and relocate faster than those boys on foot. Not to mention you can get into more than one fight a turn with lots of truck boys.

Don't forget the ram and the wrecking ball so the trucks get to fight too.  ;D
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak