News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Fighting a losing battle  (Read 1069 times)

Offline geo300383

• Newest
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Fighting a losing battle
« on: July 24, 2014, 01:28:10 PM »
I played my first large battle of 40k today, using all the models my friends and I could gather and from about the second turn we had already sustained pretty heavy casualties and things looked virtually hopeless which kinda sucked for being two turns in -.- But my teammate and I then decided to turn to desperate near suicidal tactics with chaos and tau forces assaulting much larger canifexes and the like and ultimately after some amazing heroics from Fabius Bile including taking down two carnifexes and picking off a swarmlord we just managed to scrape a victory. Ultimately the point here though is what is your primary tactic when things go south, would you continue with your original plan and hope your dice rolls pickup or maybe gather your forces to strengthen what's left? or does it maybe depend on the scenario? 

Offline Lonewolf

• Cthulhu cultist, The Final Solution | Swarmlord | Staff Soap Spotter
  • Ancient
  • Murdering armies since 2003 - retired since 2012
Re: Fighting a losing battle
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 03:18:16 PM »
Well, usually i try to adapt my tactic. But it depends on the situation. In a friendly game i usually go full risk and see what happens. At a tourny, i try to cut my loses, so that the defeat dosent hurt the overall ranking too much. 

No problem, I'll give you a 100% increase in pay effective immediately and retroactive to 1999.

Offline volatilegaz

• Aspect Warrior
  • I'm dead inside.
  • Armies: Eldar, Just starting Necrons
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 03:39:43 PM »
Assuming it's an objective-based game, I focus relentlessly on the objectives.
I tend to stop focus-firing, and start to rely on lucky dice rolls to get enough wounds / pins /saves to keep the multiple scary enemy units at bay.

I used to do more running in lieu of shooting, trying to get to objectives and/or cover. But I play Eldar so since the new codex came out, that isn't an issue for me any more.

I do unconventional things like tank-shocking or assaulting with shooty units

I also find that often my opponent will start trying to table me, rather than go for objectives. I use that to my advantage.

I still generally lose.
The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit.

Offline Wyldhunt

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 12:28:42 PM »
I often find that a player will have one really bad turn each game, and that they usually come back from that bad luck within a turn or two. That said, specific really depend on the situation.  I was recently playing against a marine list that featured a drop pod alpha strike. Turn 1, he blasted a serpent and the squad inside off the board earning first blood, a pair of kill points (it was purge the alien), and some candidates for line breaker.  On my following turns, I used the fact that he was overextended (and having crummy reserve rolls) to pick him apart.  In a different situation, I'd have had to try something else.

Against opponents where the fight is completely uphill, and my chances of winning aren't looking good from the get-go, I usually give myself personal objectives.  My opponent is spamming hard-to-kill vehicles?  Fine. My entire objective for that game is now to kill one particular unit or a handful of characters. If I do that, I win. 

But if we're just talking about a game that's leaning in my opponent's favor, you just have to look for places they've overextended for opportunities they've left you.

Offline geo300383

• Newest
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 07:12:28 AM »
Nice to see a variation in play style, it make sense about minimising the losses in a tournament scenario and I like the part about making my own objectives  :P