News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Dark Eldar  (Read 4879 times)

Offline ChadTheBad

• SHAZAM!
Dark Eldar
« on: January 25, 2002, 02:05:12 AM »
I'm curious about starting a Dark Eldar army. So I'm asking all DE players to explain their strengths, weaknesses, best units, worst units, show me sample 500 point army and explain the difference between a Kabal and Wych Cult? So come my dark brethren and turn me to the dark side.  ;D
You're all gonna die. Only question is how you check out. Do you want it on your feet or on your knees, begging? I ain't much for begging. Nobody ever gave me nothin', so I say let's fight it!

Offline Karakth

• The Dark Eldar don't kill- They Slaughter!
Re:Dark Eldar
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2002, 02:27:34 PM »
First of all:
A Kabal is a sort of Gang which fights other Kabal for *fun*. Sometimes they hire wyches who fight for them. They are quite delicate and need to be handled with *Finese*. Some armies like Space Marines, rely on tough armour to protect them. Not the Dark Eldar. With a 5+ save (which, for some reason or another, I never roll) is a reason to keep them behind cover. Keep dodgeing through terrain unyil you're close enough, then strike.
But:
The warriors who make up the Troop squad are only 8pts/model AND you can mount them on a raider for only 50pts. They have a lot of firepower. And good close combat models like the Talos make up for bad armour. Things like scourages are VERY useful as they can deep strike even if deep strike is not allowed. The Jetbikes have a Bonous of moving 24" and getting an invulnerable save for doing so.

phew  :P
~Karakth

Offline Jiaurtel

• As Ynnead rises Death shall reign supreme!
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2002, 04:00:40 PM »
They have an insane HQ of the Drachon and Incubi for fairly cheap cost(compared to equivalent HQ effects of other races). The Incubi are monsters in HtH with 2 attacks at Strength 4 with the Punishers(power weapons) +1 at charge. The Drachon is a monster unlike any other Eldar HQ aside from Harlies. Blasters that Incubi can carry are basically short range brightlances and are great for frying stuff even before they swoop into HtH for slaughterfest

Offline Slayer

• can you guess which internal organ this is?
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2002, 04:14:12 PM »
Dont forget all the cheap weapons for those warriors:

dark lance: 36" s8 ap2 heavy 1, 10pts
splinter cannon: 24" s4 ap5 assault 4!, 10pts
2 of each/either per squad(10 minimum)

blaster: 12" s8 ap2 assault 1, 5 pts
shredder: 12" s6 ap- assault 1/blast, 10pts
2 of each/either

and they have 8 leadership!

and the agoniser! one of the best ccw ever: 20pts, always wounds on +4, ignores armor saves.

oh yeah, the disintegrator upgrade for raiders cost only +5 pts for 36" s7 ap2 heavy 1/blast -OR- 24" s4 ap3 heavy 3.

Offline ChadTheBad

• SHAZAM!
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2002, 06:45:10 PM »
Thanks for the info guys, now if soimebody could explain Wych Cults to me I'd be able willing to deside if I'm going to play them.
You're all gonna die. Only question is how you check out. Do you want it on your feet or on your knees, begging? I ain't much for begging. Nobody ever gave me nothin', so I say let's fight it!

Offline Jiaurtel

• As Ynnead rises Death shall reign supreme!
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2002, 07:00:09 PM »
There is info on the GW site but basically they are pure HtH nightmare. I dont think that even Biel-Tan would be able to take on a well balanced cult only in HtH.

Offline ChadTheBad

• SHAZAM!
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2002, 07:34:46 PM »
I just went and downloaded the updates for the Dark Eldar codex (it's on GW website) and it explains how you can have a Wych Cult and I'd just like to say I'm play with a Wych Cult. They look and sound great.

Offline TheMightyPikachu

• Pi-Ka-Chu!
  • Ancient
  • The Mightiest
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2002, 10:32:08 PM »
u could try my deepstrike army
30 mandrakes
30 scourges
archon on jbike with warpgate
then a tonn o warriors
www.andylc.deviantart.com
did you know I can draw?

Offline the_Bard_72

• Kanu-rath Craftworld and Kabal of Martyred Souls
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2002, 10:45:31 PM »
You can't take a webway portal on a jetbike according to the codex.  I didn't see anything in the recent GW update either.  And, not that there is anything wrong with all the mandrakes and scourges, but doesn't that get a bit boring after a while?  I know if I were playing against you, it'd probably drive me a bit insane...but then, that's the way of the dark eldar, isn't it...
the Bard
Emmissary of the Kanu-rath Craftworld

Offline ChadTheBad

• SHAZAM!
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2002, 11:21:46 PM »
I'm curious does the Wych Dracite come with Combat Drugs or do you have to pay for it? Also, can the Wych Dracite have Wych Weapons? If not how does that work in close combat if the retinue has them but the lord doesn't?

the_mighty_brain

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2002, 03:42:23 AM »
you give the lord something else like an agoniser.

Wych cult is unbalanced in my opinion and leave you with only one tactic which is to surge forward into combat and try not to get shot. Defensive based armies will mess you up.

But a nice big wych cult would look nice, just very easy to shoot and kill, but once in combat under the new rules they'd cause some havoc.

Offline Trunkhead

• Drunken Master
  • Ancient
  • Cause this is too funny
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2002, 02:50:33 PM »
Chad

No the Wyche Dracites do not come w/ wyche weapons, which is fine since they suck anyway. In fact they dont' come w/ anything, you have to buy all their stuff a-la the Archon/Drachon.  I'm betting this is what you'll get for him (since this wargear set is pretty uniform for most DE leaders)
Agoniser 20pts
Splinter Pistol 19t
Shadowfield 25pts
Combat Drugs 25pts
HOWEVER his Wyche bodyguard CAN have wyche weapons if you want to pay for them, and since he's a member of the squad he'd benefit from them also. His bodyguard also still get a roll on the squad combat drug chart
You know what I'll say when I see God?
I'm going to tell him I was framed
 - The Way of the Gun

Offline ChadTheBad

• SHAZAM!
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2002, 05:00:09 PM »
One last question, should I take Raiders for all my wyches? And if I don't, what do you suggest?

the_mighty_brain

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2002, 07:10:25 PM »
a miracle of some kind

without Raiders you get very few anti-tank weapons in a wyche army

Offline Trunkhead

• Drunken Master
  • Ancient
  • Cause this is too funny
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2002, 09:12:38 PM »
I agree w/ Brain, you absolutly need Raiders, otherwise the only way you can take out vehicles is w/ your Haywire Grenades, costing +4 pts PER MODEL, that's not very cost effective for what now is a very cost effective unit. In addition, Wyches only have a 6+ save vs. fire meaning they're going to get shot before they get where they're going
You know what I'll say when I see God?
I'm going to tell him I was framed
 - The Way of the Gun

Offline Spirit Seer

• Bow before the might of Iyanden foolish mon-keigh.
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2002, 11:45:50 PM »
if you can use special characters and if you are allowed to take lelith hesperax then do so! she can use all the witch weps, and is a master of clsose combat. she can not only dish out damage, but take it with a 2+ armor save conferred by her shadow field

thats what i think, but the majority of the people might be against using special characters, so they might not want you to or you might not want to do so. but thats your choice
-Seer
"The stars themselves once lived and died at our command, and yet you still dare to oppose our will."

Offline TheMightyPikachu

• Pi-Ka-Chu!
  • Ancient
  • The Mightiest
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2002, 12:52:13 AM »
if that fails, she gets her 4+ inv in hth
www.andylc.deviantart.com
did you know I can draw?

Offline Kabal of the Bleeding Sun

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2002, 08:40:38 PM »
Using the new rules, Lelith loses the wyche weapons, which is fine, but gains an agonizer, and is downgraded to like 85 pts.  85 points for good stats, an agonizer, and a field.  I haven't really checked to see if her stats compare to a Archon, but if they do then she is a real bargain if allowed.  Don't have the codex in front of me right now, and I skip the special character section most of the time.

Offline Slayer

• can you guess which internal organ this is?
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2002, 01:34:42 PM »
She still gets the "wyche weapons" stuff: no extra ccw for opponents, halve weapon skill

Offline Kabal of the Bleeding Sun

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2002, 02:44:45 PM »
Yeah, but if she has a wyche retinue that part doesn't really set her apart from the normal wyche lord.  But you are correct.