News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 9th 40kOnline UK Tournament in partnership with Bracknell Forest Gamers  (Read 45869 times)

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
Right lads!

The 8th tournament was a great success, the biggest event we've had I think! It saw a real turn around for lots of the gamers who usually enjoy top spots, so no doubt there will be some payback needed at the next event!

When/where is it?:
so, the 9th tournament will be held on:

Saturday 21st August 2010

There are 24 gamer places!!!

ALL PLACES NOW FULL (practically - there is one slot still open due to a pull out).

IF YOU HAVE MISSED OUT THIS TIME THEN FEAR NOT, NEXT YEAR WE HOPE TO INCREASE THE SIZE OF THE EVENT A BIT TO GET EVEN MORE OF HTE COMMUNITY TOGETHER.

IF YOU HAVE NOT MANAGED TO BU YA TICKET THEN PLEASE STILL FEEL FREE TO COME ALONG AND MAKE YOURSELF KNOWN, MEET THE REST OF THE COMMUNITY.

IF YOU HAVE BOUGHT A TICKET BUT ARE NO LONGER ABLE TO ATTEND THEN PLEASE BE SURE TO LET US KNOW SO THAT WE CAN GIVE OTHER INTERESTED PARTIES THE CHANCE TO TAKE YOUR PLACE.

Again, a big thanks to the bracknell forest gamers club for allowing us to use their venue.

http://www.bfgclub.org.uk/
Address and direction on website

What time?:
we are going to be looking for an early start... the earlier we start, the better! Keep your eyes peeled here for more details.

so provisionally (yet to be confirmed):

9:00am - 6:00pm.

How much?:
As before, we are offering an incentive to pre-book tickets and secure your place. As such we are offering a discounted price if you purchase your ticket before May, see below;

TICKET PRICE:

£10 booked ticket from 1st of May
£12 ticket on the door.

It will be open to forum members to pre-buy. After the pre-buy time, tickets will be available to non-forum members at a standard cost.

Tickets may be available to buy on the day, but will operate on a first come first serve basis.  More info on this method of payment below.

PM / email Dan (BFG club) direct with how you want to pay and he will give you the specific details. This is for security.

email: Macvurrich@hotmail.com or 40kolf_gt@bfgclub.org.uk

Your options for payment include:

Paypal
Cheque
Direct transfer
or of course you can pay in CASH

Follow the link to the BFG site in order to buy through PayPal.

BFG EVENTS

Be sure to provide the following information with all payments:

Forum Name,
Actual Name
Army (though we won't hold you to this!)

REFUNDS:

If you require a refund be sure to contact the above as soon as possible. If you give at least 1 months notice before the event date then you will get £7 back.

Less then that and you get 50% back. (£7 if a reserve list buyer is found)
Less than two weeks and you will get no refund. (50% if a reserve list buyer is found)

If we have a reserve list with people waiting to buy up tickets then we will make arrangements to refund what we can as highlighted above once your place has been booked by someone else.

Any questions, just ask.

What will you need?:
  • a full 1750pt army
  • your army list
  • dice & templates
  • measuring tape
  • glue (for field repairs)
  • objective markers (for missions)
  • money for lunch / packed lunch
  • a good sense of humour!
  • pen and paper (to keep track of points etc)
  • a camera, to document the carnage (optional!)

The games:
we will hopefully get 4x games in over the day.

the format for these will be confirmed in a tournament pack which will be available to download from teh BFG website in the near future. This pack will also detail all the games and rules etc.

The armies:
  • your armies will need to be 1750pts
  • non-codex print armies, such as armoured company / kroot mercenaries are of course allowed! in all cases you MUST bring ALL the relevant rules in order to play with that army
  • forge world IS allowed. you may use anything without structure or mass points as part of your army abiding by the forgeworld rules, and of course, you must bring those rules with you. if you wish to use a forge world army list (as opposed to just adding in units) then you may do so
  • in all cases, the most up to date rules are to be used. This includes the Forge World Imperial Armour Apocalypse book.
  • the forge world flyer rules will be used (not those from Apocalypse).
  • the only exception is that, as per Apocalypse, Pintle Mounted Weapons will count as AA (anti-aircraft weapons) - this is to give some armies a fighting chance against flyers.
  • your army does not need to be painted, but additional points will be awarded to those that are
  • all armies and units must be "official", no VDR units will be used nor armies without official publications (codeces or otherwise). If you are unsure about your army then ask here first!

please look through the above, its all subject to change according to our concensus.

We will be using the 5th Edition 40k rules at this tournament.

the prizes:
as before there are no real prizes up for grabs some nice certificates!

Gold
Silver
Bronze

Best Army

if we want some more then put forward your ideas!!

the winner will be decided throughout the course of the tournament... the scoring of which will be decided through an overly complicated and gizmotronic spread sheet developed by the devil himself.

Nearest Hotels

The Grange Hotel
Charles Sq, Bracknell, Berkshire, RG12 1DF, UK 01344 474000

Hilton Hotel
Bagshot Rd, Bracknell, Berkshire, RG12 0QJ, UK 01344 424 801

Premier Travel Inn
Wokingham Rd, Bracknell, Berkshire, RG42 1NA, UK 0870 197 7036

Whos coming?

01=BezerekBen ClarkMech Guard
02=RathstarRob UterTau
03=---Marc MurphyEldar
04=---Michael MitchellTyranids
05=(BFG)Lee BurdenSpace Marines / Eldar
06=(BFG)David SmeeThousand Sons
07=(BFG)Adam WilkinsOrks / Blood Angels
08=(BFG)Mike SutcliffeSpace Marines / Black Templars
09=(BFG)BenOrks / Tyranids
10=666_vrykolakas_666DennySpace Wolves
11=PopsicalSteveTyranoobs
12=---GregOrk Dread Mob
13=ChucklesBartTyranids
14=HymirlAllanSpace Wolves
15=g00gleChrisTau
16=---JoelDark Angels
17=AndromidiusMathew ThornleySpace Wolves
18=ChangeynameDai KeddieOrks
19=DizzAlexEldar
20=Mecha CobyMark FlanaganMech Guard?
21=---Ashley RoweEldar?
22=Angel of InquisitionIan DohertyMech Guard
23=GlaugMike MurrayBlood Angels
24=TarrinNick TurnerTau

What I've forgotten:

lots probably...

As you may have noted, I'ts pretty much a familiar format but with one tiny  alteration - up until now we have been playing 1500pt games, but I want to see what people think about upping the points limit to enjoy more varied games and army lists.

These, and other points are of course up for discussion as we firm up the finer points of the tournament!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 04:32:17 PM by oink »

Offline Rathstar

• Rathstar's 40k Ramblings
  • Armies: Dark Eldar, Necrons, Tau, Space Wolves
Re: 9th 40kOnline UK Tournament in partnership with Bracknell Forest Gamers
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 05:46:22 AM »
Excellent tournament for the last 2 years, and I look forward to coming again.

I'll contact Dan about payment.

On the points you raised:

Army size:  Slightly larger would be nice, I would prefer 1750 pts.  It is becoming the standard for tournaments, and it wouldn't be hard for people to go up 250 pts, compared to moving up a full 500 pts.

Game Length:  There will always be people finishing early, and there is still a time limit for games, so I think random game length should stay.  I'd rather have people using up their allocated time for a game rather than the dice roll for first turn having a bigger affect on the games (going second would mean being able to grab/contest objectives knowing the opponent would have no chance to respond).

Rathstar
___________________ _________________

View my 40k Blog at: Rathstar's Ramblings

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 07:16:45 AM »
I agree that a change from the standard 1500 point games would be nice. I'm easy with 1750 or 2000 to be honest, but I think Rathstar makes a good point about it being easier to upgrade to 1750 than 2000, as most British based gamers seem to have standardised at 1500.

Assuming that we have to sign up, I'm doing so. The real question is, what army will I be using? The temptation to take Tyranids, what with the Codex re-release, is going to be very strong, but I may resist. We shall see...
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline Changeyname

• Mek| I gotz da loudz WAAAAAAAAAAGH! | Battlefield Orkespondent | Best Modeller | This years Dizz (I lose by choice!)
  • Ancient
  • Wolverine or double Batman.... you decide
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 07:36:56 AM »
yup, im in again :) and i'm gunna try and get my wolves finished in time

the other two posters so far have summed up why but i'd like to state my support for a points increase

also i'll say that random game length is preferable to me, as for the comment about speed of games, for me it comes down to army composition, as in the early turns a highly mech army will have much shorter movement and shooting phases and remembering the previous year with the 4th ed rules and a fixed turn time, the game completion length was still pretty sporadic so changing it for 5th would likely have little effect
The Blackest Night falls from the skies,
The darkness grows as all light dies,
We crave your hearts and your demise,
By my black hand--The dead shall rise!

Offline popsical

• BANNED: Now I can't pretend to ragequit
  • Mass debating: a filthy group affair!
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 07:49:15 AM »
Im in again this year  ;D

My opinions on aforementioned changes are:

1) The increase in points will lengthen games in duration. Will this combined with varied turn lenghts allow 4 games on the day?

2) Varied turn lenghts gives a sense of mystery to the players of how long they have to complete their objectives. Will compulsory six turns remove this?

I feel no problems with either personally, but can see the pros and cons. The cons maybe taking away some fun in the event.
These are my thoughts and opinions.
I am no more right or wrong than you or any other.
I reserve the right to agree/disagree with anything i please, as do you.
Forums are an arena to exchange ideas, not brow beat and shout down others.
Miss-interpretation of posts is common.

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 07:50:35 AM »
Changing the points values should also do something to alter the standard routine, just to make things a bit more interesting. On the subject of which, what do people think of coming up with some special scenarios just for the tourney?

Offline MacVurrich

• Warrior
    • Bracknell Forest Gamers
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 08:06:24 AM »
Hi
1st Payment, if you came last (this 09) year, then payment via paypal is the same if you can remember the address -though PLEASE put you real and Forum names on the reply message so that my old befuddle brain can sort it out so I can let the guys know confirmation of numbers

2nd There is a Premier in on London Road, Bracknell which is closer (and from what I've been told cheaper ) than the on on Wokingham Rd. ( or there the tent in our back garden - Errion claimed the couch :))

3rd The 1500 - 1750 - 2000 debate, BFG hold an ecalation event where by we have 4 games 1st at CP 500 pts, 2nd @ 1000 (1st +500), 3rd @ 1500, 4th @ 2000. had no problems with up take :)

4th - Numbers, if you ARE intending to come then let us know ASAP as if we have to debunk to the large (church) hall or hire an additional room it will change the cost of set up and we will need to action it quickly

Cheers 
Bagpipe's are not deadly weapons !. Well it depend who's playing them ! ;)
Bracknell Forest GamersThe Gaming Club Network - GAME ON ![/B]
LEGION of SNAKE EYES

Offline Sheepz

• Marshal: The beatings will continue until discipline improves!
  • Ancient
  • Getting away with murder.
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 08:14:22 AM »
I'd like to attend, but I cannot possibly tell you what I'm going to be doing in 10 months time.

Offline g00gle5

• Organisers Never Prosper
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • I would.
    • Promethean Games
  • Armies: Grey Knights, Necrons, Dark Eldar
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 08:56:26 AM »
I'd like to attend, but I cannot possibly tell you what I'm going to be doing in 10 months time.

Well, that's the beauty of us telling you now, you can block this date of for the tournament and tell all others that you are busy that day.

I'm fine for the most part with playing with a few more points, but 1500 really doesn't bother me, either. We WILL be keeping random turn length, wouldn't worry about debating that.

the winner will be decided throughout the course of the tournament... the scoring of which will be decided through an overly complicated and gizmotronic spread sheet developed by the devil himself.

And that daemonic spread sheet is useful to an extent until I get fed up with it and refer to my hap-hazard scribblings on the back of army lists, rules packs and whatever else I had at hand to note down people's results.

Battle Reports | Wargaming Articles | Shop

Offline Tarrin the Space Marine

• Sullied Smug
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • It's ok to be scared...
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 09:01:20 AM »
i am in.

booked off and everything.

what flavour do people want their ass kicking?
However, everything about Tarrin is unfair and should be sanctioned with extreme prejudice.

The Globals have issued a 2:1 ruling that yes, yes everything about Tarrin is indeed unfair. We have also been sullied merely by contemplating this.

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 09:48:07 AM »
I think 1500 works fine, and bigger games would make it hard to fit it all in one day... many of us have long travel times remember! :) After all, just because lots of people are playing larger values doesn't mean its better!

I'll be back too.

what flavour do people want their ass kicking?

HA! As if... ;D
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

• Ancient
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 09:52:08 AM »
Here's a radical idea then, how about going the other way? Dropping the points value to 1250? That would make for quite a big change in the way the games go and would probably help make sure they don't run over too much for those of you who have to drive a long way. And when I say you, I say so in the confidence that I am coming from much, much further away than anybody else.

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2009, 09:57:37 AM »
I'm not saying there is anything wrong with running 1500pts. Though it has become a bit of a staple nowadays and it might be interesting to mix it up a bit. See what new armies arrive, or simply allow people to expand the army they brought along last time so that they aren't using the exact same thing yet again!

The thing I'm noting is that 5th edition games are running a bit faster, and this might be an opportunity to squeeze bigger games into the same time frame.

As for the random game length, I played 2 games last time that only went 5 turns, whilst this meant I got to look around at other games, it also meant i done less gaming myself! The other thing is that the random game length can be the difference between winning or losing - which whilst nice tactically, means that some people on the day will have a better chance of scoring more points simply because of the roll they get in each game for its length.

This isn't as fair, and doesn't promote a level playing field - as opposed to having a fixed game length.

Offline MacVurrich

• Warrior
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2009, 09:59:19 AM »

And that daemonic spread sheet is useful to an extent until I get fed up with it and refer to my hap-hazard scribblings on the back of army lists, rules packs and whatever else I had at hand to note down people's results.

Translation =
gOOgle flips a coin and then decided who wins from those who haven't MASSACRED him :)
LEGION of SNAKE EYES

Offline Tarrin the Space Marine

• Sullied Smug
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • It's ok to be scared...
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2009, 11:05:27 AM »

HA! As if... ;D

Grudge Match!!!!

i'm happy with 1500/ 1750. i find that extra 250 doesn't really equate to much difference in time.
However, everything about Tarrin is unfair and should be sanctioned with extreme prejudice.

The Globals have issued a 2:1 ruling that yes, yes everything about Tarrin is indeed unfair. We have also been sullied merely by contemplating this.

Offline Rathstar

• Rathstar's 40k Ramblings
  • Armies: Dark Eldar, Necrons, Tau, Space Wolves
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2009, 05:07:54 PM »
As for the random game length, I played 2 games last time that only went 5 turns, whilst this meant I got to look around at other games, it also meant i done less gaming myself! The other thing is that the random game length can be the difference between winning or losing - which whilst nice tactically, means that some people on the day will have a better chance of scoring more points simply because of the roll they get in each game for its length.

This isn't as fair, and doesn't promote a level playing field - as opposed to having a fixed game length.

While I in some ways agree I think with reserves being able to be used to minimise the disadvantage of not going first, the person who wins more of the rolls to choose going first or second would have a big advantage compared to other people where games were a fixed length.

I also think not knowing when the game will end leads to more interesting and tense games, as you have to move to take objectives in turn 5 and potentially hold them till turn 7.  Knowing exactly when the game will end will allow to people to not commit their forces.

Rathstar
___________________ _________________

View my 40k Blog at: Rathstar's Ramblings

Offline small_furry_spider

• Council Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • www.small.furryspider.com
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2009, 06:27:23 PM »
I am definitely interested, but I need to find out when my wife wants to book our summer holiday- I am not sure she wants to plan that far in advance. Unfortunately I don't think "I have a wargames tournament so we can't go on holiday" will fly with her...

Offline MacVurrich

• Warrior
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2009, 06:30:19 PM »
I am definitely interested, but I need to find out when my wife wants to book our summer holiday- I am not sure she wants to plan that far in advance. Unfortunately I don't think "I have a wargames tournament so we can't go on holiday" will fly with her...

They joys a fun that us married folk have :)
thouhg must admit I slightly better off in that it goes more "I have a wargames tournament so we can't go on holiday" - reply "Oh ok we'll get the eldest to babysit and you can help sort out my army list" :)
LEGION of SNAKE EYES

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2009, 06:40:10 PM »
While I in some ways agree I think with reserves being able to be used to minimise the disadvantage of not going first, the person who wins more of the rolls to choose going first or second would have a big advantage compared to other people where games were a fixed length.

I agree, the random game length is a good thing as it forces people to commit and get on with the game. Holding everything in reserve and hanging back means you may end up not being on the objectives when the game ends. But as they say; you snooze, you lose.

In that vein I wouldn't mind playing 1750 I'm sure it wouldn't be the end of the world. Just tell people to keep the pace up! It won't make that much difference in the long run, I find most people tend to take 1500 point armies and add a land raider or something!

Grudge Match!!!!

Well ok, but I'm gonna be mean! And try not to turn up with a softy softy marine biker army this time!
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline Jonik

• Field Marshal
  • Ancient
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2009, 06:53:50 PM »
Well ok, but I'm gonna be mean! And try not to turn up with a softy softy marine biker army this time!

Oh joy. :(

;)
Tolaren 23rd Grenadiers - Jonik's Imperial Guard 'Tale'
Chariots of the Dead - Jonik's Tomb Kings 'Tale'

My BfSP Dwarfs in exchange for your BfSP Goblins! PM me! I'm still looking!