News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Lost memories and ancient secrets  (Read 4155 times)

Offline Lachdonin

• Warlock
  • Education is no substitute for Intelligence.
Lost memories and ancient secrets
« on: May 6, 2012, 09:16:29 PM »
Well, another night bored at work, and i realised it's been awhile since i wrote anything 40k related. As such, here is a bit of a continuation of my Eldar-Human alliance story, this time a little more 'Pointy' centric.

Terical sat cross-legged, his eyes glazed, hands resting calmly on his knees. He saw not the ovoid room around him, but rather the scintillating energies flowing through it.  Flashes of violet lightning cracked before his Warp-focused vision, brilliant pulses of thought and emotion. He could view distances far removed, hundreds and thousands of light years away, settled worlds coiling about themselves in storms of raw, unfocused power.

He drew from this font of unlimited majesty, allowing the raw might of the Warp to flow through him. Power enough to  liquefy the minds of lesser creatures raced through his limbs, and with barely a thought he could shatter walls, hurl the lumbering monstrosities of the Humans through the air or char a horde of Orks to cinder. But ruin was not his intent, least of all here in this chamber, and instead he focused simply on the floor beneath him.

Gradually, like a long sigh, his sprawling robes pulled along the crystalline floors, drifting beneath him as he rose steadily into the air. To his eyes, he floated on an orb of golden light,  his posture unchanged, his robes gently swaying beneath his rigid form. To those without his Warp-sight, he simply sat there, suspended a meter above the smooth floor below.

He was not concerned with such blind individuals, however, or even of anything born of flesh and bone. His intent, his quarry, was the entities which dwelt beyond the warm confines of reality, beings of pure emotion and thought. As the energies he channeled mounted, they came, drawn to him like sharks to blood. Like vultures over the soon dead they circled, each a pulsing presence to his mind rather than a true, definable entity.

One pressed through the others, emanating fury, wrath and pure spite. It loomed before his eyes, a rolling ball of fire and blood, threatening to engulf him. Instead, with barely a twitch, he sent it away. A bolt of pure gold lanced from his chest, sending the creature howling back into the orbit of its peers. These were but the teeming legions of the Warp, the mindless beats of the Four Powers. They were creatures with only the barest hints of intelligence, dominated by impulse and the nature instilled in them by their gods. As such, they were useless to him.

He waited, patiently, as the lights around him multiplied, sending any who grew too curious or ambitions back into their cautious orbits. Then, he noticed, several began to cluster together. They pulsed in pale violet and pink, whispering enticingly as he focused his attention towards them. I the center of their own cloud was a single presence, stronger than any of the others who had shown interest thus far. In this single, sensually throbbing light, Terical felt the intelligent scrutiny of a being both timeless and infantile. It was not so oppressive as he knew the Greater Daemons of Chaos to be, but neither was it the near mindless rabble which dominated the great eddies of the Warp. It could, then, only be one thing; A Herald of the Chaos Gods.

His hand shot towards the light, scattering the cloud of lesser Daemons which had gathered near. With his gathered power, he inveloped the presence even as his fingers coiled tightly. He drew that consciousness through the fabric of reality, forcing it into the material universe screaming and hissing. In his grip Warp energies crackled and popped, coalescing into a silken throat and spreading further, growing into a corporeal body for the captured Daemon.

Terical cast the thing aside, sending it sprawling against the wall as half a dozen robed figures spread into the room. Each leveled a long, rune incrusted spear in the direction of the thrashing creature.  In any other circumstance, such a creature would relish the opportunity to enter the material world, to wreak havoc in the name of its master. But to be forced into this reality, to be torn so suddenly from its domain was something totally alien to it, and it convulsed and spat as it adjusted to its fleshy prison.

“If you answer truthfully, beast, I allow you to return to your kingdom,” Terical intoned calmly, crossing his arms and letting his feet gently settle on the floor, which even now flashed with intricate patterns and great runes of warding.

The Herald hissed in retort, it’s claw like arms clacking vengefully. “You would dare to demand anything of me!? Courtier of the Lord of Pleasure! Handmaid of the Princess of Pain! Trumpeter of He who…”

The list of honorifics was cut off by a chilling scream –which cause none of those gathered to so much as flinch- and the creature dropped to the ground to resume its convulsions.

“You must understand, beast, that here you have no power. With but a thought, my companions will skewer you before you can even take a step. And this chamber, I am sure you have realised by now, is impervious to your attempts to escape. You would be trapped here, until your presence could be swept clean by those same friends who keep your filth from our Webway.”

A smile spread across Terical’s face as the creature visibly flinched.  Clearly, the possibility of being torn to pieces, in a literal and essential sense, did not appeal to it. With notable reluctance, it shrank back on its haunches, assuming a different tact by attempting to look harmless and enticing. Terical thought he noticed the sweet scent of perfume in the air.

“What is it you wish to know, mighty Seer of Loritain?” The Herald purred, its voice like honeyed velvet.

“At the height of our Empire, my people constructed a map, of all the domains linked under the rule of the Eldar.” Terical began, his posture relaxed, confident that he was in total control of the situation.

“Yes, we know of such a map” the Daemon  was quick to intone, its posture now welcoming, like that of an old lover too long separated.

“There were many such maps,” Terical retorted, a hard edge to his tone. If he were to let down his guard for even a moment, the Daemon would have him, and he knew better than to let such a base creature win. “Each annotated to a particular purpose, be it trade routes, shrines of pilgrimage or slumbering Tomb Worlds. But there was only ever a single master, a single map which held close all the places in the Empire, secret and otherwise.” The  Daemon clearly knew what he sought, as the perfume quickly dissipated from the air. “This map was kept on the Capital of my people, at the heart of our ancient Empire.”

“I will play with your soul before I devour it, mortal,” the Herald spat. “I will make you feel agony the likes of which you have never dreamed existed, and then I shall offer you up to…” It screamed as one of the guards thrust a lance through its shoulder, the rune inscrolled weapon cutting through Daemon flesh like air.

“Answer my question, Daemon, and I will allow you to return to your foetid realm to plot whatever revenge you please. Otherwise, it is I who will send you into oblivion.” The thing’s screams quieted to a low hiss, though the lance tip remained piercing its slender shoulder. “I know where the map is, what I need from you is a safe route to it.”

The thing hissed in protest, and the guard twisted his lance. “Enough! Enough, there is a way. Through the gate of Cadia, there is a path. When the fortress of the Corpse Emperor is at its zenith, the tide lies low, offering safest passage to the heart of the eye. That is your doorway.”

Terical offered the thing a genuine smile, and nodded. “It is unfortunate that you are so dangerous a catch, as you have proven to be most agreeable after a little pressure. Perhaps I shall delay having your stone purged, in case I have more questions.”

The remaining guards stepped forward, thrusting with their own spears, pinning each of the Herald’s six limbs against the wall. It howled and thrashed as, through a dark archway on the opposite end of the chamber, another robed figure approached. They carried a long, simple pike, affixed to one end a cradle for a dull and lifeless gem.  Terical took up the weapon, and without a second thought, plunged it into the Herald’s chest. The thing spasmed as its body began to melt into a grey-violet mist, and the gemstone pulsed to furious life.

In three heartbeats it was done. The final figure produced a rune incrusted, Wraithbone cask, into which Terical gently placed the pulsing stone. “Lock this one in the vault, for now. I may have questions for it later.”

The seer-priest nodded before hurrying away, clearly anxious to be rid of the noxious presence cradled in its arms. Terical dismissed the guard who had accompanied him, and taking a moment to reflect on the information, strode out of the heavily warded chamber.
Remember, you can make yourself a Hero, but only others can make you a God.

Online Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Re: Lost memories and ancient secrets
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 08:22:14 PM »
I love Eldar stories! It is very well written, plan on writing more ;D?

Offline Lachdonin

• Warlock
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 02:47:33 PM »
I do indeed plan on writing some more to add to this, but after writing the first part i happened upon an idea. As such, i am currently reworking it to be more of a lead in to a campaign, involving Orks, Imperial Guard, Eldar and Chaos. Of course, organizing a campaign, especially one which includes BFG, is much easier said than done, so i'm a touch delayed in finishing up the lead in. There will be more to follow, it may just take a bit.

Offline Underhand

• Captain : Godfather of the Hivegangers
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 11:15:58 PM »
That is a well written passage.

Beginner writers take note of what Lachdonin did here:

1.  Introduced a protagonist.  He's intelligent, calm, highly skilled and generally comes across as a not to be beslubbered with badass.  Clearly has a bit of an ego.
2.  Set up a story.  There's a map, it's important, Terical has to get it.
3.  Laid the groundwork for some complications.  It looks like Chaos are going to be the bad guys, and the Imperium are a potential complicating factor.
4.  Did some world building.  We know a bit about the map and have a feel for how Terical's magic works.  It came out organically through short description and dialogue. No eye-glazing slab of expository text here.

And he did it in only 1,516 words.

Offline Lachdonin

• Warlock
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 01:07:47 AM »
Well, that's rather high praise Underhand... And somewhat an unsettling experience to have a story torn appart and broken into a bullet-ed explanation... Reminds me of 6th grade English... Anyway, as i said, i am now working on a campaign to determine the end result of this story, so an actual resolution is unlikely to be any time soon. End of Summer, maybe. I figure i will probably break it into 4 parts, the first being done, the second about preparations, the third about getting there, and the 4th being the resolution after the campaign has finished. With that in-the-moment plan put down, on to part 2.

** I have actually removed the original Part 2, because... well... it sucked. With the campaign wrapped up, i've been doing some writing, and this is the revised Part 2. 6 months late, of course.

Terical reclined lazily in the chair, the anti-grav suspension adjusting with a soft whisper. In one hand he cradled a stem-less goblet half filled with an aromatic wine, in the other he gently spun a mem-crystal between his slender fingers.

As he studied the pulsing, violet shard, his breath began to become more steady, almost mechanical. He had imprinted on the mem-crystal his previous divinations regarding the Daemon's words, allowing him to quickly retrace the particular strands of fate he had spent the last dozen cycles finding. As he let the memory of that search suffuse him, his eyes gently closed, and the whole of reality exploded into his mind.

Quickly it condensed, present and future fading to nothing, leaving only the past behind. His minds eye was pulled towards a  short, flickering strand of existance, a life so infinately dim compared to the gossimer threads of his own people. His wytch-sight flickered for a moment, the web of all history being replaced by the dark, grime covered interior of a primitive ship.

Terical studied the shimmering images floating before his eyes. Despite the information extracted from the Herald, there was still mysteries to be investigated. He watched through the eyes of a Human Autarch, who in turn watched flickering lights displayed on a grainy and distorted hologram. The Humans had studdied the tides of this new, enraged Warp for thousands of years, while his Eldar kin had struggled simply to survive, and they had found patterns they did not even recognise.

Every decade, the Imperial world of Cadia fluctuated in its orbit, traveling barely a hundred meters further from its sun before falling back into its orbit. During this time, the so called Cadian Gate plunged deeper into the Eye than ever, opening a gateway into the heart of the Eldar Empire for scant hours. The next opening was still some cycles off, but an undertaking of this magnitude would require a great deal of preparation, and to that end Terical had already set matters in motion.

As expected, there was a sensation of static on the back of his neck, an indication that his presence, so far removed from his own body, was once again required in the 'present'. With practised ease, he released the strand of the humans fate, and withdrew from the infinitely tangled spiders web of casualty which the warp revealed to him. A single rune, his rune, blazed before his eyes, and he drew towards it, letting it envelop him.

His eyes flickered open, the glass still cradled in one hand, the gently pulsing crystal in another. On the far side of his study stood the Autarch, Adune. He wore the simple tunic and britches of his station as High Priest of Vaul, and waited patiently waiting for the young prince of House Lorith to withdraw from his reverie.

"Are they assembled?" Terical asked, placing the glass down on a lightly glowing pad, above which it bobbed slightly before comming to rest a centimeter from the surface.

"As many as we can expect," Adune replied rather cryptically.

Terical stood, retreiving a long jacked bearing the mark of his house from where he had tossed it over the bust of some long dead philosopher, and strode huridly towards Adune and the door.

"How many?"

"Thirteen," Adune answered, pushing the gold and jewel inlaid door open before the prince. The gesture was unnessessary, as it would have opened without the effort, but Adune was something of a minimalist, thinking more akin to the woefully primitive Exodites than one would expect of a full born Craftworlder.

"So few?" Terical didn't even give the gesture a thought. He adjusted the flowing jacket about his shoulders, fastening the quicksilver clasps as the pair walked through the dimly lit corridors of the house palace.

"The five major Craftworlds are in attendance, though it seems rather begrudgingly." Adune began, falling into step beside the relative youth. "The others who have answered your call are Altansar, Il-Kaithe, Iybraesil, Lugganath, Telennar, Zahr-Tann, Miel Carn and An-lolsus."

"What word from the other envoys we sent? We disptached over thirty ships."

"Most responses indicate preoccupation with their own affiars. Of note, however, in contacting Ulthwe we were advised against seeking the aid of Kaelor.  We were unable to find any trace of Ctho, and i am increasingly of the mind it is a myth." Adune  stopped to hold another door for his younger compatriot. "And upon nearing Dorhai, we were given an automated message ordering us to withdraw or be fired upon."

Terical gave a derissive snort, shaking his head. "It would seem the days of our peoples unity are long past. You said the others are here begrudgingly?"

"Aye, some moreso than others. In particular, i beleive the envoy from Alaitoc is here simply to berate you, and thus the rest of us, on our liberal interpretation of the Path."

"The Path will be our doom as sure as Slaanesh," Terical responded, more harshly than he had intended. "Denial of who we are will not save our people, only a sense of purpose and the march of duty."

"You need not argue such things with me, my prince." Adune opened a final door, leading into the courtyard, where a sky-runner was waiting amidst the golden foliage of trees older than any Exodite world. The pair boarded the craft, sitting in silence as the pilot turned the vessel coreward, towards the Halls of Audience.

Most Craftworlds, having been simple trading vessels, had been forced to grow over the millennia since the Fall. To grow, and to acomidate new ideas.  To such an end, their meeting halls and governing theatres were often located further from the core, in some cases bordering on the stars themselves at the outer rim, but Loritain had been born with a different purpose in mind. As it was, the Temples, governing structures and ancient vaults were at its heart, surrounded by an expansive ring of habitation spires and the force-domes characteristic of an Eldar Craftworld.

Terical watched it all pass in silence. The beauty of his home still moved him, yes, but he could not let it be a distraction. He hated the Path, despite its merits, and letting himself fall into hte flights of whimsy it was intended to protect against would defeat the purpose of his own philosophy.

The sky-runner fell easily into the stream of airborne traffic which streamed to and from the Craftworld core. The majority of the Eldar who bore aleigence to Loritain still dwelt on the Craftworld, though every passing orbit saw more and more take to the surface of their first world.

Turning his eyes towards the sky, he could see the pale green and blue of their new home. Whisps of cloud cut accross the eastren archaepeligo, and along the curving horizon he could see the fading shores of the central contenant. He knew that, somewhere down on the islands which now slowly turned before him, Striking Scorpions stalked through the dense jungle, playing their games of war even as the diplomats and administrators above sought peace.

The ship turned towards a tall spire at the center of the Craftworld, sliding easily along one of the  slender docking ports. More than a kilometer below, nestled beneath the arching supports of the Halls of Audience, the expansive gem-like windows of the Dome of Lost Whispers sparkled in the light from the distant sun. Below even that ancient garden-dome lay the Infinity Circuit, the heart of every Craftworld. This close, Terical could feel the thrum of power.

The pair departed the craft quickly, and headed accross the slender docking port towards the maze of chambers, conferance halls and ampitheatres which made up the topmost reaches of the spire. Their destination was the Grand Assembly, several levels above, a miniature dome in its self, the cealing open to the sky.

En-route, Terical and Adune discussed their plans for the expedition. Of pressing concern was Atraius, who was determined to praticipate in any and all important military actions.

"Simply put, the human is being a brute," Adune walked with arms crossed. He had grown particularly fond of the mysterious, gold-armoured warrior whom they had brought into their flock, though he was at heart still Human, and lacked understanding in so many things. "I have received no less than twelve missives from him in the last four cycles, and regardless of how i respond he refuses to accept that he and his people will have no part in this venture."

Terical could only shake his head. The Humans of New Troitha had been the first additions to his burgeoning empire, and were a crucal component of his long term plans, but they were not well liked by the other houses, and the stone in his gullet told him this latest attempt to make demands would not aleviate the tension.

"I will speak to him and his governors after this conferance, to make it clear that this venture requires a particular mindset which his people lack." Terical pursed his lips even as he finished the thought, knowing that to do so would likely only insult the mountain of a man. "Perhapse there is some other task which they may assist in while we are preoccupied?"

Adune thought for a moment before nodding slightly. "There have been delays in clearing the Orks from one of Serliath's moons. They are in a primitive, magnate state and not presently a threat, so we have left them be while we attend to more pressing matters."

Terical smiled, nodding his consent. A little violence, even against primitive Orks, would be enough of a distraction to ensure Atraius did not stir the political pot whilst they dealt with the more important matter of the impending expedition.

The conversation went little changed for some time, moving back and forth between the continued maiden-forming efforts of the surrounding worlds, the status of their Human charges, diplomatic issues involving the nearby Tau Empire, and the ever present political maneuvering of rival houses on Loritain its self.

Finally they reached the massive Wraithbone doors to the Grand Assembly, shaped in releif to represent Asuryan seembling the Gods at the beginning of creation. With barely a thought, the image of the Phoenix God split down the middle, the silence of the corridor being filled with the shouted arguements which reverberated through the great ampitheatre beyond.

** the spell check doesn't seem to be working for me right now... i'll come back and do the editing later.

Online Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: March 5, 2013, 08:38:01 PM »

Terical watched it all pass in silence. The beauty of his home still moved him, yes, but he could not let it be a distraction. He hated the Path, despite its merits, and letting himself fall into hte flights of whimsy it was intended to protect against would defeat the purpose of his own philosophy.

The sky-runner fell easily into the stream of airborne traffic which streamed to and from the Craftworld core. The majority of the Eldar who bore aleigence to Loritain still dwelt on the Craftworld, though every passing orbit saw more and more take to the surface of their first world.

Turning his eyes towards the sky, he could see the pale green and blue of their new home. Whisps of cloud cut accross the eastren archaepeligo, and along the curving horizon he could see the fading shores of the central contenant. He knew that, somewhere down on the islands which now slowly turned before him, Striking Scorpions stalked through the dense jungle, playing their games of war even as the diplomats and administrators above sought peace.

The ship turned towards a tall spire at the center of the Craftworld, sliding easily along one of the  slender docking ports. More than a kilometer below, nestled beneath the arching supports of the Halls of Audience, the expansive gem-like windows of the Dome of Lost Whispers sparkled in the light from the distant sun. Below even that ancient garden-dome lay the Infinity Circuit, the heart of every Craftworld. This close, Terical could feel the thrum of power.

The pair departed the craft quickly, and headed accross the slender docking port towards the maze of chambers, conferance halls and ampitheatres which made up the topmost reaches of the spire. Their destination was the Grand Assembly, several levels above, a miniature dome in its self, the cealing open to the sky.

Very nice, Lachdonin, this part when you're speaking about the Craftworld and Loritan sounded so elegant to me, I really liked it :).

There hasn't been much drama in this part, but when the Halls of the Grand Assembly open, it certainly does convey a sense of it.

Offline Lachdonin

• Warlock
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 08:10:41 AM »
So, i've been meaning to push this forward for some time... But i've been having problems with my word processor. The damned thing doesn't want to work, and whenever i try to install another, trial or freeware, the damn thing just won't start. But then i remembered that, since i switched to Chrome, i have a built in spellcheck. Huzzah!... Anywho, onward and upward, as they say.

"The Eldar of Loritain are well known for their loose ethics!" was the first Terical heard from this so called diplomatic assemblage. It was not the most encouraging of signs, and the young Scion of House Lorth gave a sigh.

Seated along the tiered, ovoid chambers walls, the representatives of many of the major Eldar nations seemed more a mustered council of war than a meeting of intellectuals and diplomats. Seers wore not their formal robes, but wraithbone armour, clutching spears and staves in gauntlet clad hands. Most had come with one of their Craftworld's Autarchs as well, the proud warriors standing, bedecked as if for battle.

As he stepped through the threshold, all eyes turned on him, and he could instantly feel the cold scrutiny of those he had hoped to count amongst his friends.

"And here we finally see our illustrious host," a voice carried through the hall, though with so many faces concealed behind expressionless masks, Terical could not discern the speaker, though the sarcasm and venom was evident to all.

"Now, friends," Terical started politely, his voice carrying easily through the cavernous structure, "There is no need for unpleasantness, it was not my intent to leave you waiting without attendance."

"Oh, no need to concern yourself about that, Terical," this voice carried with a sense of arrogance and spite, and Terical was not at all surprised to see Asunubrae Methovael lounging to one side of the great hall. House Methovael had long been the chief rival of Lorith, though since Terical's inclusion of the other, lesser races in their grand designs, Asunubrae and his kin had been an increasingly vocal thorn in the young Prince's side. "I have been quite sure to keep our guests occupied." Asunubrae smiled broadly as he sipped from a silvered goblet.

"And taken your opportunity to incite rebellion and disharmony," A feminine retort came, and Terical was relieved to find that Asunubrae had not been left alone with the delegations. Annise Roxthan, the reigning head house Roxthan'Il, sneered from across the wide audience floor, her wizened expression holding the arrogant noble of Methovael in its icy bonds. "You would have the entirety of our race spent on petty gains, knowing full well the threat that lurks between stars."

"And you," This time it was one of the delegation of Biel-tan who spoke up, the Autarch beside him bristling visibly, "Would have us work beside the vermin who now infest our rightful domains."

"Infest, is it?" Annise retorted, not backing down from the warlike Biel-tan. "Would it not be us who infest the domains of the Old Ones? Or the Necrontyr? Empires rise and fall, and new ones rise to take their place. I would think a Seer understood the way of the universe, or have your senses been too dulled by Khaine's bloodlust?"

The Biel'Tan Autarch flinched, a hand inching across his waist towards the hilt of the chainsword at his hip. Beside Annise, a pair of her House Guard stepped forward, hands on their own weapons, and even Asunubrae seemed concerned that the hot tempered Beil-tan would strike at his own kin.

"Enough!" Adune's voice boomed through the chamber, that Loritain Autarch stepping forward even as the Biel-tan was seemingly knocked back onto the bench. "Have we become so divided that we would even consider raising arms against one another? Over what, a petty insult?" Annise seemed to take no slight at Adune's words, and simply crossed her arms.

To one side, the black robbed leader of the Ulthwe representative stood, tucking his arms into the sleeves of his flowing vestments. "The War-Priest of Vaul is correct," He said calmly, making clear reference to Adune's contradictory duty to Loritain. "We were asked here by the son of House Lorith, to partake in discourse regarding some plan of his." The seer nodded towards Terical, who could see in the action the tel-tale glimmer of slowly crystallizing skin. "Though i feel if this is regarding the supposed value of Humans, it will be a short discourse indeed."

"No, honoured Seer," Terical bowed, showing the ancient Farseer the respect which, on Loritain, such a status demanded. "I feel the discussion of the other races is best suited for another time, when we can be sure of more even tempers." Again, the Biel-tan Autarch bristled, but remained seated.

Terical strode to a raised platform at the center of the sweeping hall, where he could be seen plainly and his voice would echo evenly about the wide tiers. He looked at the delegates each in turn, and was somewhat concerned that none sat together, seeming to prefer as much space between them as possible. Notably, at the highest row of benches, the fuchsia and black representatives of Altansar seemed to separate themselves more than any other.

"As i am sure you have divined, some revolutions ago we, along with assistance from our human allies, recovered from the Imperial world of Malianna an artefact of the Old Empire. This was none other than one of the Arks of Vaul," there was a hushed gasp from some of the assembled guests, though the Ulthwe seemed as if this was old news. "The recovery of such repositories, containing secrets that our ancestors thought best hidden, should indicate how dire i believe our situation to be. We, as a people, are beset on all sides, from foes both new and old, and we will need every tool left by our ancestors to survive the coming night. For this reason, i seek to recover the remaining Arcs, and from them to unlock the secrets our forebears left in case the Ygnir should return, for return they have."

"You seek to learn the the art of constructing the Talismains of Vaul!?" The Saim-hann Autarch veritably cried. Every one of the gathered Eldar knew of the ancient fortress weapons, created in the mythic past, and of their terrible potential. In the wrong hands they had destroyed stars, and to subject the galaxy to more of their number was an admittedly terrifying prospect.

"Yes, i do," Terical answered honestly. The contemplative silence heartened him, and he pushed onward, hoping to persuade his peers of the need before they resolved otherwise. "The Ygnir stir from their tombs, and a great swarm plies the depths of the void to consume us. The technology of our ancients is all that stands between our annihilation,  and the same fate for all life in this galaxy."

"All that stands as safeguard against such a dire fate?" The Ulthwe seer grinned knowingly, though Terical ignored the obvious incitement.

"So you wish to recreate the most terrible weapons divized by god or man?" The Saim Hann looked at him skeptically.

"Recreate or utilize the superior technology used in their creation, it matters not. If we do not recover the Arks, some other power will. Would you have the Imperium gain access to our secrets? Or the Tau? Morei Heg knows what the Ygnir could achieve with technological mastery of the warp." Terical's doom-driven prediction silenced the Wildrider Farseer, allowing the young Prince to continue.

"The hunt has been long, and it is with some embarrassment that, despite extensive divination, i have been unable to locate any other vaults which may contain remaining Arks. Even were i to convince the remaining Seers of Loritain to assist in my search, even if the Seers of each of your Craftworlds were to join in the hunt, it could take hundreds, even thousands of revolutions to locate what Arks have survived.

"But there is another option. On the home worlds, there was once a map..." The silent contemplation of the Craftworld representatives was suddenly broken, everyone seeming to shout at once.

"You want to enter the Eye to retreive a map!?" the Miel Carn representative exclaimed.

"Which may not have even survived the Fall?" Joined Il'Kaithe.

"I have reliable information which indicates the map exists, and that we may find safe passage to the world in question," Terical started, though this time it was Alaitoc which interjected.

"Information from where?" The Stern faced seer stood, hands on hips, eyes boring into Terical's heart.

"Through divination," Terical half-lied.

"You mean your dabbling in Daemons, don't you?" the blue-robbed Farseer sneered.

"I don't know what you have heard, Farseer, but..." Terical was once again cut off as the Biel'Tan seer supported his fellow.

"We have heard that you take insight from the followers of the Dark Gods, that you go so far as to summon Daemons, freely and within the Craftworld."

"We interrogate and cull," Terical started.

"You toy with powers far beyond yourself," The Aliatoci accused.

"I cut back the wild growth that YOUR ancestors left to run rampant through the garden of the warp!" Terical roared. He would not be convicted in his own hall, least of all for crimes of which his accusers were the ones truly guilty of. "The Warp was a place of beauty, tamed in the earliest days following the Enslavers by -US-. We gave birth to the Gods, and we created for them a paradise from which they could guide and advise our journey through the physical." He turned, his gaze burrowing into the Biel-tan delegates. "When my ancestors left this galaxy to drive back the last borders of our people, we left with the warp calm and peaceful. The few unruly beasts which lurked in its depths were hunted for sport by Kurnous, and the wild growth which now dominates all avenues of the other-world was carefully trimmed and manicured under Isha's guidance. You," he turned back to the Alaitoc, pointing accusingly, "Your ancestors left the garden to grow wild. You stopped listening to the gods, starving them of the worship which sustained them. And now you hide behind your masks, asking your people to deny the very truth of their being, rather than working to cut out the cancer you have created."

Terical fumed, his face becoming flushed as the rage boiled up inside him. It was not just rage born of the accusations against him, but against the plight of his people, and the seeming unwillingness of the Eldar to seek a true solution. "And when i, one born of ancestors who had the forethought to see the return of our greatest enemy, ancestors who trusted their kin to hold to their ancient duty, take the first steps to cutting back the raging jungle that has overtaken our glorious gardens, -YOU- dare accuse me of consorting with powers beyond myself?"

The entire chamber was silent, not an Eldar even daring to draw breath. Then, slowly, the Alaitocii stepped forward, drawing his robes tightly around him. "We are done here. You will find no aid from Alaitoc." With that, the Seer turned, striding defiantly towards the great doors, his retinue close behind.

"Perhaps your pets will help you," The Biel-tan's Autarch mocked, following the Alaitocii out. One by one, the other Seers and Autarchs stood and filed from the room, first  Saim-Hann, then An-lolsus, Telennar. With a wide grin, Asunubrae rose from where he had been lounging, sauntering confidently past the quickly deflating Terical.  Finally, only Ulthwe, Iybraesil and Altansar remained.

"And so we see whom is truly interested in what you have to say," The Ulthwe Seer remained calmly seated, "Perhaps now we can move on to the business at hand."

Terical was devastated, he barely even registered that he had been addressed. Whatever illusions he held regarding the unity of the Eldar died long before Asunubrae had departed, and a well of regret had started to overtake him. After a moment, he felt a hand on his shoulder, and turned to see a sympathetic Adune. With a nod, the warrior priest directed attention towards those that remained, and Terical realized he still had a chance.

"There was once a map made, one which contained the locations of all the sacred and hidden sites throughout the Galaxy, dating back to the days of the War in Heaven its self." He began.

"Such a map would have little purpose, due to the damage sustained by the webway. The pathways could be blocked, or changed," One of the Iybraesil delegates spoke up.

"This map did not record the locations within the Webway, but within the physical universe. As such, the locations are subject to far stricter laws, and can be easily ascertained if we have access to the references of the map. We have determined the location of the map, and that it survived the destruction of our home worlds, but Loritain lacks the individual resources and experience to launch the expedition to recover it."

"So you desire forces and guidance, to assault a world within the Eye of Terror its self?" The Ulthwe Farseer stood now. "In this, i am afraid that we can offer no assistance. The human renegades remain an active threat, and the forces of Ulthwe are overstretched as the situation is now. There is simply nothing we can offer."

"One host." The Altansar representative spoke for the first time, drawing the gaze of all who remained. Impassively, the fully armoured Seer continued. "Your unorthodox philosophy regarding the Warp and its predators has... Inspired me. Autarch Ravallan will lead the detachment," The armoured warrior next to him bowed.

"Iybraesil will also offer what assistance we can spare. We are every interested in the secrets of the home worlds. At the very least, we will supply Steersmen to guide your ships."

The Ulthwe seer smiled, nodding. "It seems you have had some luck with this venture after all. We can only hope that the true expedition meets with similar success." 

Not exactly where i wanted to leave off, but getting tired, so going to deal with more later.

Offline StyleXHobby

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #7 on: September 7, 2013, 08:01:57 PM »
This is really good. the descriptions and passage flowed really well. Keep it up!

Offline Lachdonin

• Warlock
« Reply #8 on: January 3, 2014, 03:56:58 AM »
Holy sweet crap this has been too long in comming... Still not done, but here's a bit more.

Terical forced a reassuring smile. "Thank you, with your aid we shall surely be successful."

The Ulthwe Seer offered his young counterpart a slight smile "Yes, well. Let us not get overconfident, hmm?" He gave a deep, respectful bow, the representatives from Iybraesil and Altansar already moving past them towards the exit. "I wish you the best in your task, for if successful it serves the good of us all. Ulthwe shall do what i can to make your passage into the Eye as silent as possible, and know that you voyage through our space with the blessings of the Seers of Ulthwe."

Within heartbeats, the Loritain were alone, the great doors shutting with a whisper.

"That did not proceed nearly as well as we had hoped," Annise shook her head, lips pursed.

"Though far better than i had planned for," Adune added, drawing questioning glances from his companions.  Adune simply shrugged "In truth, i had already planned our course, based on your information, under the assumption we would find no aid from our kin."

"Ever the pessimist," Annise practically laughed, which struck Terical as rather strange, considering the dire circumstance they were entering.

"I prefer pragmatism, my lady," Adune bowed low, with genuine respect. "Our kin who remained in this galaxy have fractured, more so than even the houses of Loritain would allow. To hinge our plans on their cooperation was to rely on the unreliable."

"So you chose to plan the field without knowing the strength of our forces?" Terical crossed his arms, genuinely surprised by the seemingly brash tactic from the normally reserved War-Smith.

But Adune simply shook his head. "No, i planned in accordance with the minimal force possible for the likelihood of success. I will, of course, reconsider the greater strength which we have been allowed, and reconstitute the strategies." He seemed to look off into the distance, and Terical knew well enough that Adune did not even see them anymore. He was lost in his own mind, considering the myriad of tactics which could be employed, overlaying the topographies they had extracted from their tortured Herald of Slaanesh, exchanging Aspects and weighing their efficiency. "We should be able to achieve our goal with minimal casualties... Ten percent at most..."

His pause did not convey confidence, and to his relief it was Annise who questioned the Autarch on the uncertainty. "I feel that there is a complication to this plan of yours?"

"To ensure as much time and effort as possible may be devoted to the search, and not to combat," Adune began, shaking away the haze that clouded his eyes. "We will require a substantial distraction."

"A distraction?" Terical felt a stone sink in his gut.

"It is no concern, i have already arranged for its presence during our expedition." Adune seems undisturbed.

"Without the consultation of a Seer?" Annise seemed aghast. "You overstep your position, and your skills, Autarch."

Adune simply shook his head. "I needed no consultation, for there is no alternative. The military actions of the Craftworld are, foremost, mine to decide, under the advisement of the Houses and the Seers. If this venture is to succeed," Adune straightened his posture, seeming to tower over the other two Eldar. "Then a distraction to draw the attention of the Enemy is needed. I have already contacted Laxel, and have arranged for his assistance."

"And what, pray tell, will that cost us?" Terrical did not like dealing with the Corsair Laxel, self appointed Jarl of the Gates of Infinite Dreams. Whenever they dealt with him, or his pirates, it cost the coffers of House Lorith dearly.

"Nothing, my prince. I simply promised the pirate the promise of witnessing the Majesty of the Homeworlds." Adune flashed a sly smile at the pair. Both knew full well that Laxel would likely plunder some minor trinkets for his support, but he lacked true comprehension as to the value of the artifacts contained on the Home Worlds.

"And what form, pray tell, will this distraction of his take?" Annise let out a resigned sigh.

"Laxel recently offended an Orkoid lord. He has been playing a game of chase for several weeks, avoiding the pursuing fleets. He has agreed to lead them through one of our Space-Gates, directly into the Eye."

"Orks in the Webway?" Annise scoffed, shaking her head. "As if the other Craftworlds did not have a low enough opinion of us. But alright," she strode towards the doors, a wave of her hand setting them to part before her. "If you are determined to sling their filth across one of the few remaining places sacred to our people, i have no the authority to stop you. I only hope the end justifies the means."

Terical cast Adune a worried glance, and the older warrior simply nodded. Adune was certain of his plan, and that was all Terical needed to know. The two lightly patted each other on the shoulder, Adune remaining where he was as a host of robed figures -Aspect Warriors, Exarchs and the remaining Autarchs- filed silently though the now opened doors. He had a campaign to plan, and had silently sent a call out to his advisers.

For Terical's part, he had inquiries of his own to make. Striding rather somberly past the warriors, he began the process of steeling his mind against the honeyed whispers of the Warp. There were still answers to be pried from their caged Herald before they put the beast down.

---------------------------------

Thirty cycles. For thirty cycles Terical had waited. The host had gathered at Loritain, containing unfortunately few warriors of Iybraesil. Laxel had relayed the success of his mission a five cycles earlier, and by the time they arrived the Orks would be deeply embroiled against the agents of Chaos. The pieces were set, the die cast.

Terical issued a silent prayer to Asuryan, praying to the Phoenix to watch over them and guide them with his certainty. Around him, through hte vast bay of his family flagship, the Aspect Warriors  underwent their final blood-rites. It had been decided that no Guardian should set foot within the Eye. It was not a place for the unprotected minds of normal folk. That had, unfortunately, left Terical without his normal retinue of Lorith Guard. Surrounded as he was by warriors who were, in this state, loyal to Khaine first, and his command second, was particularly unnerving.

Missing, too, was the familiar burning confidence of the Avatar. It had been decided that bringing the molten effigy of a god into the Eye would turn all attention to them, the manifestation of Khaine shining like a brilliant flare, pulling eyes from their already entrenched 'distraction'. Terical had never entered battle before without the presence of Khaine, and the thought was suddenly horrifying to him.

Without the fiery, wrath driven psyche of a god suffusing his entire being, how could he hope to stand against the horrors that had consumed the Empire? How could he bear to look upon the ruin of what once stood as one of the most majestic worlds in creation? How could he watch the enevetable death of battle surround him, his warriors torn limb from limb...

A hand fell over his shoulder, and he turned with a start. Adune stared back at him, quiet and contemplative. No, not contemplative, focused. Focused against the fel whispers of this place. Terical nodded, understanding the flood of doubt was not entirely of his own mind, but magnified and reflected a thousand fold by the ambient powers of this corner of the universe. Particularly here, the untamed mangle of the Warp pulsed through the material, forcing its way into the minds of all those within its reach.

Adune nodded back, before passing through the hold. On twenty other ships, just like this, the host assembled. Each formation knew its role, each warrior knew their place. Surface scans had revealed what the Herald had told them to be true. Most of the planet was covered with sprawling urban ruins, enough to house billions. Once, this world had been home to some of the greatest and wisest the Eldar species had ever produced. Now it was a haunted ruin.

"The Knights will drop first," Adune spoke, his calm voice echoing easily through the hold. Likewise, it was carried on direct laser-signals to the other ships, conveying the final confirmation of orders from the Autarch. Under normal circumstances, psychic communication would be used, but the Host desired surprise, as much as was possible in this place, at least, and any psychic signal would almost certainly give away their presence.

"Their target is the Plaza of the Pantheon, directly above the Archive of Whispers. There will be no Gates, no Web-Way access of any kind. We will drop through the atmosphere like the Great Hawk. The Hunters will secure the skies while we clear the adjoining streets and ruins. The Orks have drawn the majority of the beasts below towards the southern gardens, but do not assume the shadows to be only that."

Once the plaza is secure, we will deploy the Spiders. Then, recovery teams will move into the archives. Remember, the Map is the utmost priority, but remember, this is one of our first worlds," He turned to regard Terical, who simply nodded in agreement. "The secrets kept below are OUR secrets, not the property of beasts who now claim our home. Your Seer's will guide your hand, recover whatever you can, but do not break formation."

Adune slapped a hand to his breastplate, over his Spirit Stone. "We are the Children of Isha. Remember that, and remember that the Gods are not gone. They will watch you, and they will protect!" There was a regimented stomping of feet throughout the hold. "To those who stand with Loritain, know this, We do not blame you for weakness, though your ancestors brought ruin to our people. But we will show you strength!"

A booming "For Khaine," echoed through the hold, and Adune continued.

"We will show you that these beats are not but creepers and insects to be culled!"

"For Isha!" Followed.

"Stand with us, and we shall reclaim not only our legacy, but our homes!" Adune's hand went to his blade.

"For Vaul!" Again the warriors chanted, and Terical noted some of the elder Exarchs shifted uncomfortably.

"We are the greatest creations of the Old Ones, the inheritors of their works, the guardians of this galaxy. And together, we will retake our glory and bear it anew, tempered with the wisdom of humility!" Adune drew his blade with a flourish, holding it's gleaming length above his head.

"For Asuryan!"

"Warriors of Loritain, let us show our cousins what i means to be true Eldar!" Adune leveled his weapon towards the waiting ramps of their Vampire transports. "To war, and the bloody ruin of those who dare believe we would not strike to retake our birthright!"