News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1500 Sisters of Battle for tourney- to Saint or not to Saint?  (Read 1585 times)

Offline Scyrex Deledras

1500 Sisters of Battle for tourney- to Saint or not to Saint?
« on: October 2, 2012, 10:22:20 PM »
Hey everyone,

I'll be participating in a tournament on the 21st, and I have been seriously thinking about fielding my Sisters. The tournament has been specifically themed to Imperium vs Chaos, and I know for a fact that a lot of Chaos players have already signed up. Even though I don't know what the new Chaos book will be like, I've nonetheless decided to bring my Sisters of Battle along, and I'm trying to decide between two lists, of varying degrees of competetiveness:

LIST 1- THE SAINT'S HOST

Saint Celestine- 115
10 Battle Sisters- meltagun, heavy flamer, Veteran Sister- 155
-Rhino- 35
-Rhino- 35
-Rhino- 35
7 Seraphim- 2 hand flamers, Sister Superior w. eviscerator- 175
5 Dominions- 2 meltaguns, Sister Superior w. combi-melta- 100
-Immolator- twin-linked heavy flamer- 65
6 Retributors- 4 heavy bolters- 97
Exorcist- 135
Exorcist- 135
Aegis Defence Line- quad gun- 100

The overall plan is, Battle Sisters zoom up and provide fire support/grab objectives where necessary, while Celestine and the Seraphim fly up, roast stuff with massed flamer templates, provide disruption with hit and run, and generally be a big scary threat. The Retributors will camp out behind the Aegis line with the quad gun, and, with the Exorcists, will provide fire support. Finally, the Dominions will try to be nice and sneaky and hopefully destroy a big enemy tank or two after Outflanking.

LIST 2- YES, THAT IS A CANONESS

Canoness- eviscerator, rosarius- 115
-Rhino- 35
-Rhino- 35
7 Celestians- 2 meltaguns, Sister Superior w. power axe- 140
-Rhino- 35
8 Seraphim- 2 hand flamers, Sister Superior w. eviscerator- 190
5 Dominions- 2 meltaguns, Sister Superior w. combi-melta- 100
-Immolator- twin-linked heavy flamer- 65
6 Retributors- 4 heavy bolters- 97
Exorcist- 135
Exorcist- 135
Aegis Defence Line- quad gun- 100

Tactics are more or less the same as above, but the Seraphim will be used much more cautiously without the Saint to bolster them. The Celestians will pretty much be used as glorified Battle Sisters, except, with their own Act of Faith and the Canoness', they'll hopefully be able to take/receive a charge fairly well.

Any thoughts? Which list do you like better? My main questions for both of these lists are:
-Does anyone feel that the Canoness + Celestian combo works at all? I tried it once at the end of 5th, and it worked pretty decently, but that was when you could disembark and assault out of a Rhino
-Will one outflanking Immo-Dominion squad work, or are they the sort of unit where you ideally need two?
-This is just a personal question, but...do you think the Saint is too powerful? Ie, do you think I am going to annoy and aggravate a lot of people at the tournament by using her?

Thanks. Honest feedback is always welcome.

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
Re: 1500 Sisters of Battle for tourney- to Saint or not to Saint?
« Reply #1 on: October 4, 2012, 07:41:01 PM »
The saint isn't as unkillable as she used to be, I think she's so commonly used because there is no other jump pack HQ, if the canniness had one available I may still be using my models as that instead of counting as Celestine. I don't think she's that bad, if anyone complains ask if they'd prefer to fight someone with grey knights.

I quite like the idea of Celestians actually, as they're not scoring you have no need to be cautious with them. I was a big fan of them in the old rules, back in the day they could handbag pretty much anything to death!

That said I'd probably vote for celestine, I mean she's made of great!

The rest of the list looks good, do you fine heavy flamers worth their money? I know they're good but I'm not sure if its a cost I want to pay compared to a regular flamer.
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline Scyrex Deledras

« Reply #2 on: October 4, 2012, 08:04:02 PM »
The saint isn't as unkillable as she used to be, I think she's so commonly used because there is no other jump pack HQ, if the canniness had one available I may still be using my models as that instead of counting as Celestine. I don't think she's that bad, if anyone complains ask if they'd prefer to fight someone with grey knights.

I quite like the idea of Celestians actually, as they're not scoring you have no need to be cautious with them. I was a big fan of them in the old rules, back in the day they could handbag pretty much anything to death!

That said I'd probably vote for celestine, I mean she's made of great!

The rest of the list looks good, do you fine heavy flamers worth their money? I know they're good but I'm not sure if its a cost I want to pay compared to a regular flamer.

So far, yes, I do, but then I haven't yet tried experimenting with regular flamers as an alternative. Maybe I should try that.

I'm a little more inclined towards the first list, myself-- as much as I want to try the Canoness and Celestians, I suspect that they're the sort of unit I should really bring to either friendly games, or games above the 1500 point level (so that I can take them AND Celestine).

Also, which do you think is the better emplacement-- the Icarus lascannon or the quad gun?

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #3 on: October 4, 2012, 08:21:54 PM »
I think the quad gun is best, since the retributors are probably firing it so the autocannons fit with their guns quite well. You may want an extra couple of girls in the unit to make it tougher though if someone has a few flyers the squad on the defense line will be target number one. Although your list is tight on points to afford that, (other than downgrading a heavy flamer!)

I'm currently tinkering with a 1750 point list that I think I can use Celestians in, although they'll be with Uriah jacobus for extra attacks and toughness. It's so annoying the superior cant have an eviscorator... I'll probably go power axe like you have.
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014