News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: What do get next  (Read 1882 times)

Offline Halollet

• My halo grew a mullet...
  • Armies: Grey Knights, Guard, Sisters, Tau, & Tyranids
What do get next
« on: January 13, 2014, 04:01:22 PM »
Don't have the codex yet as my book is stuck in Winnipeg for the night. *sigh*

But I did find quite a bit of discussion online about the different units.

So I'm willing to drop a bit of money buying a new unit or two.  I'm insisting that my list be heavy close combat but I understand some shooting would be good since First Blood exists.

Here's what I have
Flyrant, Tyrant, 2 tyrant guard (old ones), 3 carnifexes, gaunts, hormies, stealers, lots of warriors, shrikes, zoans, lictors... I think that's it.
I'm definatly leaning towards more MCs but that's not a definate.

Here are my ideas;
Haruspex/Exocrine:  Haruspex is getting a giant meh so I'm suspect of it.  Exocrine looks promising though since it can still punch stuff if I've locked their entire army in combat!

Trygon Prime: Been wanting one of these since they came out.  Tough enough to buy upgrades for and they fit nicely into my army.  Might use it as a Mawloc though.

Hive Guard:  They've been called the bane of wave serpents which makes my mouth water and with all bits that come with these guys come with they would be a great addition to the rest of my army.  But they're not a MC.  I should be able to convert my old Tyrant Guard to be these guys which also save me money.

VenomThrope:  Great ability but I think I might need to get more things that I want to get into assault first.  But maybe not.  I might go more hordy with my collection if I chose this route.

Tervigon: The scoring MC has also been catching my eye.  Still not 100% on it but it has made my short list.

I'm open to all suggestions! :)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 04:19:32 PM by Halollet »
One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside of his experience as being impossible.

Offline Caustic

• Castellan Cawww!
  • Armies: Salamanders, 1k Sons & Daemons, Hochland Empire.
Re: What do get next
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 09:07:48 PM »
Still trying to figure out the book since I just bought it yesterday, but Lictor guided Mawlocs seem to be a neat tactic especially since Mawlocs now hit twice if they don't kill enough models the first time to emerge unblocked. Since Lictors don't scatter when they deep strike now, this could be a neat one-two punch combo provided your Lictors don't get killed in one turn.

Venomthropes now give Shrouded, which is absolutely huge and guarantees that all competitive tyranid armies now will have at least one (hooray for gaunts getting 2+ cover in ruins!).

Loss of Doom of Malan'tai and Mycetic Spores are a big kick in the nads though for the army...

Offline wren

• I call Shenannigans!
  • Armies: Eldar & Orks
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 02:16:25 AM »
Right now I'd suggest that any inexperienced 'nid player hold off on buying anything for about a month, maybe two.

I know that sounds strange, but with a new codex that's being widely panned (and rightly so) it's going to take a while for people to adjust and work out what's worth taking with the new balance. That's assuming it's worth bothering adding to your army at all.
In the meantime, use proxies to get a feel for the units, try some tactics in small games, bash out some army lists and see what you can do at the points level you usually play and then see what you can pick up second hand (I've got a feeling that you'll be able to pick up plenty of nids on ebay soon).

Offline Halollet

• My halo grew a mullet...
  • Armies: Grey Knights, Guard, Sisters, Tau, & Tyranids
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 08:37:16 AM »
I wouldn't call myself inexperienced just out of practice.  In 3rd and 4th edition my nids were viscious.  Close combat monsters with leaping warriors tabled my opponent in 3-4 turns.  Then the new codex came out and they went all shooty and I took an extended break from warhammer all together.  I've been focusing on my other armies waiting for a new Nid codex.  So the loss of things like the Doom of Malan'tai and Mycetic Spores hasn't phased me at all because I never ran them to begin with.

Since I have Tau and Guard, both very shooty armies, I want to tailor my nids as close combat terrors. 

I understand the concepts of getting frail nids into combat but I know I need that extra smash.

So I think my box choices have come down to 2; The Haruspex or the Trygon.  I'll be magnetizing the crap out of them so I can switch them to their alternative but I do really want to buy one soon.  The question would be more tactfully sound to get.  The Exocrine seems a good way to deal with termies, but having a Tyrgon prime spring up in the back field is very tempting too.... eeerg.

I think Hive guard will be my next purchase after this one for sure.
One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside of his experience as being impossible.

Offline Colonel Twisting Shadow

• Colonel
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • I was told to get a life; so I bought more figs...
  • Armies: What don't I play?
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 08:01:14 PM »
I'd defiantly go for the Trygon.  Both look like excellent choices, and both are VERY easy to magnetize.  The Trygon being basically just a head, and the Haruspex (so I'm told) being just a head and the arms.  Especially since you've already got a good unit of Carnifexen, and a stompy tyrant/Guard; so another 'fast moving' (read deep strike) unit should help alleviate stress on your Flyrant.  Plus, if you wind up running a prime, you've got more access to the new artifact goodies, and potential for more upfield synapse.  I got me a Trygon early into my nids (my 2nd MC, no less) and he's awesome.  Even when it doesn't perform well, it spooks the poop out of my opponent, and throws his game way off (until he got his new codex with all that ID wrath weapon crap).  His resilience to deep strike mishaps is great.  Similarly, the mawloc got quite a rules buff too, attacking (potentially) twice per deep strike.

Plus, all three units from the kit got some kind of cost decrease, which is great.  I'm sure the Haruspex/Exocrine are good too, but they are (as of yet) untested, and therefor untrusted.  Heard good things about the latter though.

I would hold off with regards to hive guard though (for now anyway).  The used to be the staple, but with a cost increase, BS decrease, and Venom/zoanthropes getting more important than ever before, their elites slot is pretty hotly contested. As if it wasn't before though, right?

OT; be nice to Winterpeg!  Given the opportunity I'd move back there in a heartbeat! (Go Jets Go?)  Also, check your PMs :)
Hey! I know!  Let's focus on building army lists, instead of silly custom titles and command structures, yeah?

From the days of the doctorines.
RIP-Goyder, Koonitz, and Jenkins.  Honour them.

Armies:
ORDER: Elysians 2k5, Armored battlegroup 2k5, Infantry Guard 2k, Dark Angles 4k5, Grey Knights 2k
DISORDER: Chaos 3k, Daemons 2k Dark Eldar 2k5, Nids 2k, Orks 2k5
I'm both proud and ashamed of those numbers...