News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The Mira - Dark Eldar Rules, Tau Technology  (Read 1455 times)

Offline Doctor Thunder

The Mira - Dark Eldar Rules, Tau Technology
« on: April 28, 2008, 04:37:10 PM »
Normally I don't do weblogs for my modeling projects, but for this one I thought it would be fun to try, so here's the first update for my new project: The Mira.

The Mira are an alien race that has joined The Tau Empire, not as mercenaries or vassal states, but as full-fledged members of the empire.

A quick little background:
The Mira's long tradition as a nomadic race came to an end when the shaman from all seventeen tribes were brought together by identical and power visions.  In the first circle of equals held in centuries, it was unanimously decided that the will of the gods was clear, and for the first time, the Miran people all traveled as one, crossing the Damocles gulf, and declaring their wish to join the Tau Empire.

Rather than integrating small groups of Mirans into Hunter Cadres, Mira are organized into their own Cadres.  This provided Tau Central command with something it had lacked in the past, which were detachments of hard-hitting assault troops, able and eager to engage enemy fortifications and enact boarding actions normally deemed too disadvantageous for hunter Cadres.

The Mira are a proud and honorable people, with a long and rich military tradition.  Their weapons technology focuses on non-lethal devices, as they consider it highly dishonorable to take an enemy's life on the field of battle.  They believe that an enemy's spirit must first be cleansed through years of physical labor before death, otherwise their souls will carry the stain with them when they are reincarnated, and pollute the next generation.  They consider the Tau to be their spirit-brethren, and hope that long-term exposure to their own enlightened traditions will serve as an example that will eventually rid the Tau of their use of lethal weaponry.

Miran detachments and their unusual fighting dogma provide a steady stream of prisoners and slave-labor in Tau warzones where they operate.  Ethereals frequently find it difficult to maintain a balance, attempting to neither offend their Miran allies by disuse of the prisoners, nor stray from the guidance of the Tau'N by excessive use of slave-labor and prison camps.  Normally this balance is achieved by aggressive attempts to convert the prisoners to join the greater good, which allows Tau sensibilities and the media to look upon the act more as missionary recruitment rather than racial exploitation.

Okay, now onto the modeling, which is what I'm sure everyone wants to see. 

I'll be using Dark Eldar rules to field this army, as I am not a fan of trying to convince other players that it's okay to use my house rules, and because I really like playing in tournaments.

So, the first thing we'll need is an equivalent to the Raider, built by The Earth Caste for Miran Kindreds, utilizing Miran weapons, which I call The Swordfish.

I started with a Pirana, since it is very similar stat-wise, and because The Earth Caste likes to use interchangeable components.  I used legos to fill in the crew compartment (The Swordfish is Drone-piloted) and made the engine coming out the back to look more similar to the Raider and to give it a distinct profile so that people won't so easily assume that this is a normal Tau Army.  I used Skyray parts to make the side planks where the squad stands, and the larger Devilfish chin-turret to house the Concussion Cannon, which is made from a gundam kit and counts as a Disintegrator.  The small turret on top, made from the piranas normal chin turret, is a Concussion Grenade Launcher, which counts as a Horrorfex.  At this point I'd say it's about 90% done.

Just click on a thumbnail to see a larger pic of The Swordfish:

More updates to come. 

Alright you primitive screwheads, listen up. See this?
This is my BOOMSTICK! It's a twelve gauge double barreled Remington, S-Mart's top-of-the-line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids Michigan. Retails for about $109.95. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop Smart. Shop S-mart. Ya got that?!
Now I swear, the next one of you primates, even touches me...
Ya! (BOOM) (BOOM)

Offline Doctor Thunder

Re: The Mira - Dark Eldar Rules, Tau Technology
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 03:27:47 PM »
Okay, I've got a new update for 'yall today.  Next up we need a gunboat version of The Swordfish to count as a Ravager.  I present to you, The Barracuda.

The Barracuda features extremely heavy firepower for its size in the form of three Concussion Cannons and a Concussion Grenade Launcher.  A Concussion Cannon is a high-calibur six barreled gatling gun that fire caseless liquid-core ammunition.  Upon detonation, the ammunition creates a psychic/quantum shock wave that reacts catastrophically with the central nervous system of living creatures, causing a complete and instant collapse of all higher brain functions.  Reactions vary from race to race, but this normally results in a coma lasting from 33-45 hours.  Humans of the Adeptus Astartes have proven particularly susceptible to the weapons effects, as the psychic pulse has been found to trigger the Sus-An Membrane implant in their skulls, forcing them into a state of suspended animation.
Concussion Cannons normally have two settings, a higher rate of fire to saturate a target area, and a slower rate of fire for more controlled shorter bursts.

The liquid core of the ammunition is called Sheika by the Miran people, which translates as "cleansing soulfire."  It is refined from a waste substance that Mirans secrete naturally through their skin, and according to Miran tradition the first hunter kindreds used bows tipped with Sheika to disable the large beasts they hunted on their long-forgotten homeworld.  It is quite likely that the use of Sheika weaponry created the foundation for much of their religious beliefs.
The Mira believe that the time of Darikama has come, that they are charged by the gods to purify the Kamatani, or "allsoul," the collective soul of the living universe, and they believe that the gods lead them to the Tau Empire to begin the cleansing.

More updates to come.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 03:28:49 PM by Doctor Thunder »
Alright you primitive screwheads, listen up. See this?
This is my BOOMSTICK! It's a twelve gauge double barreled Remington, S-Mart's top-of-the-line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids Michigan. Retails for about $109.95. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop Smart. Shop S-mart. Ya got that?!
Now I swear, the next one of you primates, even touches me...
Ya! (BOOM) (BOOM)

Offline Eldrad Fashan

• The Arith Dris Craftworld
« Reply #2 on: May 2, 2008, 03:49:00 PM »
This is a very interesting concept and I think your executing it brilliantly. Keep it up I look forward to more updates.
Eldar:
Vs SM 10-0-1                Vs Tyranids 2-1           Vs Chaos 5-0
Vs IG  5-1                     Vs Tau 1-1                  Vs GK 3-0
Vs Blood Angles 2-0       Vs Necrons 1-0

Offline Explosivo111

• So what if my marines like gentle spanking?
« Reply #3 on: May 3, 2010, 12:22:29 PM »
This is a fantastic idea, keep uploading pictures :)
it has inspired me to maybe do a similar thing after my SMs are done...

hmmmm ideas ideas ideas....

Offline Semaj_14

• "I don't need Luck, I have Flamers!"
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 09:36:38 PM »
This is quite interesting to me. I can not wait to see what crazy xenos you are gonna use for your troops and whatnot!
"Through the Fires of battle Unto the Anvil of war!"

"When In doubt Just add More Melta!"

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 09:46:04 PM »
It's been two years. You may be waiting a while.  ;)
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.