News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: North Korea's nuclear chest-pounding  (Read 3827 times)

Offline Lachdonin

• Warlock
  • Education is no substitute for Intelligence.
North Korea's nuclear chest-pounding
« on: March 8, 2013, 10:57:53 PM »
So, i'm actually surprised to see this wasn't already here.

Those who keep up with such things would know that North Korea threatened to launch a nuclear strike against the United States, as well as end the 1953 ceasefire with South Korea, should the UN security council enforce harder sanctions. The security council (the temporary seats of which, at present, consist of mostly no-body nations) then proceed to vote 15-0 in favor of harder sanctions.

So, what do people think? Is North Korea bluffing? Do they actually have the capacity to strike at Hawaii, let alone the Continental United States?

If we still had ol'Kim in power, i'd say this was something of a no brainer, because that man was all kinds of crazy, but with Po i'm not sure where i stand. The boy seems kind of dim, and if so is probably nothing but a puppet, which could be a bad sign.  As for their actual capability to strike the US, they had trouble getting a satilite in orbit, which does not speak highly of their skill at rocketry.

Either way, i'm rather glad i am on the East Coast right now, paranoia being what it is.
Remember, you can make yourself a Hero, but only others can make you a God.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
Re: North Korea's nuclear chest-pounding
« Reply #1 on: March 8, 2013, 11:05:31 PM »
It's all noise.

Best Korea has had the potential to devastate Seoul for decades if they'd wanted to. No nuclear requirement. As for the US, they've got no reliable delivery system, no reliable devices, and throw these threats out on it seems a monthly basis.

This threat doesn't even raise a 'meh.' Just like all the others.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #2 on: March 8, 2013, 11:36:32 PM »
Not to mention that according to the media, Kim Jon'Un (or what ever the beslubber his name is) took in a basketball game with Dennis Rodman and is quoted as saying he doesn't want war with the USA.

Rodman... doing the work of the US State department since 2013!
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
« Reply #3 on: March 9, 2013, 07:02:41 AM »
Supposedly this is standard fare in the DPRK when a new Great Leader takes over. Sabre-rattling, chest-puffing, "we're so awesome that if you're not careful we'll kill you all" followed by "you have been spared only by our beneficence". It's nothing but an attempt to demonstrate to the populace that the new boss is just as totally rad and awesome as the last one. Which is entirely true.

Pay it no mind. They're the international relations equivalent of a troll.

The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #4 on: March 9, 2013, 08:25:19 AM »
It's the usual sabre rattling, and orchestrated parades by the North Korean top brass.  Remember their new leader is trying to make himself look just as, if not even more, tough than his father was, so this is all about propaganda, rather than any substance.

It's also worth noting that China is, by far, the most important influence over North Korea, and there is no way that Beijing wants the North to be launching nuclear missiles at any other member state, which is another reason why this isn't going to happen.  This so called nuclear threat is just a lot of hot air, and should be treated as such.

The security council (the temporary seats of which, at present, consist of mostly no-body nations) then proceed to vote 15-0 in favor of harder sanctions.

Considering that South Korea and Australia are two of the current ten non-permanent members, and that a number of the others have important connections to at least one member of the permanent five, I think that you might want to reconsider that statement.
« Last Edit: March 9, 2013, 08:27:16 AM by Irisado »
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Ollieb

• Ancient
  • I'm only here for the beer!
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 08:28:03 AM »
If you check the old threads here nKorea doesn't have a nuclear program.  A few years ago  when this was  brought up all the anti-US folks here claimed the nKorea nuclear program was fabricated by the US as a means to invade them.  Don't believe me do a search.  You'd be surprised to see which posters here acutally stated that (well you might be I wasn't). 

As to nKorea it is par for the course for them.  The only way they know to get anything is to threaten war.  Asking or admitting they need help is a bit out of their league.  Can they hit the US with anything?  Highly improbable.  At best they can fire something at Hawaii but even then the probability of a nuclear payload is nil.  At worste they realize they are out of options and finally follow through on their threat of reunification by force.  Even then they still possess an offensive capability of about 30-45 days before they run out.  If China stays their current course even this is unlikely. 
Looking for a compliment here is like looking for a girlfriend in a cemetary.  You know you will probably not like what you dig up, but you'll take it anyway.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 01:48:32 PM »
Prove it Ollieb. If it's so easy to do a search then do one. Show us who exactly said Best Korea didn't have a nuclear program. I'd be very interested who made such a blanket statement.
Drink
Knights Tippler

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Ollieb

• Ancient
  • I'm only here for the beer!
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 08:53:58 PM »
24 June 2006. FMG said it.  Didn't bother going any further.  Yours was Iran so we will have to wait on that one awhile longer.   
Looking for a compliment here is like looking for a girlfriend in a cemetary.  You know you will probably not like what you dig up, but you'll take it anyway.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 09:12:07 PM »
Link please. This post? I can see why you didn't want to link it as pretty weak sauce there. Funny in hindsight though as there was a test a few months later and a fizzle as FMG mentioned was more likely. I hope you're able to tell the difference between a nuclear program and a nuclear weapons program unlike some. Especially for Iran which had a nuclear program from before I was even born (US supplied reactor, of course). Otherwise, anything else on topic you'd like to add?

Myself, I wouldn't be surprised to see more conventional retaliation from Best Korea once the Americans are looking elsewhere. We've previously seen gunboat incidents and artillery exchanges against SK, such as Yeonpyeong Island in 2010, when temper tantrums were thrown.

Edits above.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 09:54:56 PM by Rummy »
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 04:29:50 AM »
After last years failed assassination-attempt at the Great Successor, he has hardened his tone to get the military in line.
He might well pick a small isolated target, like the coastal island where his daddy ordered sunk a south Korean patrolboat (killing 46) back in 11. This is chestpounding, but not for our, the world's, benefit, but for his own people. This means he can do all manner of crazy stuff, as it only has to appeal to them. Faking a nuclear attack on the US just for the domestic publicity is not impossible, but hard, and an actual shelling of some position in South Korea is far more likely.
The chances of nuclear strikes against the US is pretty small, but who knows about this guy. Once he starts throwing foreigners out of his country it is time to start watching the skies.

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 09:00:19 PM »
Well, from what I gather the ceasefire has been called null and void, on the pretense that South Korea and the Us have been holding joint excersises, and apparently some US plane flew over North Korean airspace. Although, apparently, this is not the first time they've called the ceasefire, so I'll join the choir and write it off as Un trying to impress his people. If only he spent as much energy on increasing agricultural effectiveness so he could feed his people, but who am I kidding, Juche provides! :P

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2013, 09:05:16 PM »
SK and the US hold these exercises every year and every year Best Korea gets all butt hurt over it. Unfortunately, regularly Best Korea does something stupid soon after the exercises are over (sink a warship, shell an island, throw poorly constructed missiles about the place) that gets people killed.

Are you referring to the B-52 fly over? As that was in SK and not over Best Korea. Fanboi that I am, B-52s are just magnificent.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2013, 09:30:24 PM »
You're absolutely right: the b-52 flew over South Korea, not Best Korea. (which would've been a diplomatic faux pas if there evere were one) - although I claim partial innocence since the people who told me it said North Korea and it was only after rechecking the article they cited that I saw they were completely wrong.

Point still stands though; it's just Best Korea measuring its epeen.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #13 on: April 7, 2013, 09:42:59 AM »
Just to add a bit more to the policy of 'keep calm and carry on as normal', here's the response of the UK government to North Korea's propaganda, and some additional analysis.  This whole saga continues to be an exercise in Kim Jong-un building up his own domestic reputation, and strengthening his leadership credentials in the eyes of the military, nothing more.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #14 on: April 7, 2013, 10:05:21 AM »
Others have their own view on why this is really happening:
Least I Could Do: the Comic
Least I Could Do: the Comic
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...