News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Thousand sons next ish  (Read 7512 times)

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Thousand sons next ish
« on: January 6, 2018, 09:11:48 AM »
New Year, New Armies and More: Reveals from the New Year?s Open Day - Warhammer

Looks like a lot of the age of Sigmar kits will be available for thousand sons players too, which I think it's really cool. I'd love to see a vortex beast charge into a squad of space marines!

Looks like too you could play an entire army of 40k beast men as well!
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
Re: Thousand sons next ish
« Reply #1 on: January 6, 2018, 09:26:55 AM »
The Thousand Sons video contains some beautiful artwork.  I hope that at least some of that will find its way into the codex, as that would make it worth buying even if I never get around to playing a game.

The disappointment for me is this whole idea of Tzaangors being in a Thousand Sons codex, along with Mutalith Vortex thing.  The whole idea of Thousand Sons is that they were turned to dust to avoid mutation.  It is, therefore, blasting a massive hole through the lore to introduce further beast type units and some creature which is all about mutation.  I liked the fact that the Thousand Sons didn't have units like this, and by including these beast units, it's effectively undermining the whole character of the army for me.

As for the idea of being able to field an army of Tzeentch Beastmen, that would be okay if it were a separate army.  It should not be possible in a Thousand Sons codex.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #2 on: January 6, 2018, 01:51:04 PM »
The Thousand Sons will be coming back to settle old hatreds thanks to their first ever(!) codex...

First ever? I mean, yeah, I guess...technically . Though Wrath of Magnus had everything a codex involves.

Here's hoping they make Rubrics better, boost their psychic power, and do something about the prohibitive costs of everything. Either make it cheaper or make it better.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: January 6, 2018, 04:40:07 PM »

Here's hoping they make Rubrics better, boost their psychic power, and do something about the prohibitive costs of everything. Either make it cheaper or make it better.

GW seems to be dropping points rather than adjusting too many thing, that said they are already significantly better than marines so I wouldn't expect them to drop by much.

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #4 on: January 6, 2018, 07:50:47 PM »
The Thousand Sons video contains some beautiful artwork.  I hope that at least some of that will find its way into the codex, as that would make it worth buying even if I never get around to playing a game.

The disappointment for me is this whole idea of Tzaangors being in a Thousand Sons codex, along with Mutalith Vortex thing.  The whole idea of Thousand Sons is that they were turned to dust to avoid mutation.  It is, therefore, blasting a massive hole through the lore to introduce further beast type units and some creature which is all about mutation.  I liked the fact that the Thousand Sons didn't have units like this, and by including these beast units, it's effectively undermining the whole character of the army for me.

As for the idea of being able to field an army of Tzeentch Beastmen, that would be okay if it were a separate army.  It should not be possible in a Thousand Sons codex.

It's just more options, no need to use that stuff at all if you don't want to use it. Same as the zombies in death guard.

I am excited to see a fleshed out thousand sons psychic tree, as well as what strategems and artifacts they get.  Strategems will make a huge difference on how the army compeates on the table.

The art will be in the book. The art in army books these days is really nice. 40k and AOS.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 7, 2018, 06:05:30 AM »
It's just more options, no need to use that stuff at all if you don't want to use it. Same as the zombies in death guard.

Plague Zombies in a Deathguard army makes sense and has historical roots.  Mutated units in a Thousand Sons army is a contradiction of the lore.  Yes, I agree that I don't have to use them, but the very fact that such units are an option means that the army is no longer Thousand Sons, it's a Tzeentch army with some Thousand Sons in it.  If the codex were Codex: Txeentch, that would be all well and good, but it's not.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 12:50:47 PM »
They're certainly pushing the beastmen angle in Thousand Son armies.

Vile New Abhuman Strain Spotted – The Regimental Standard
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

• Ancient
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 03:22:03 PM »
So, there was a game on Games Workshops Twitch page with the Thousand Sons vs Custodian Guard. Some tidbits were learned from that.

Aspiring sorceror a can take psychic powers other than smite

Reroll 1s on the invulnerable saves is out. I didn’t catch what new aura we got.

Legion Trait sounded like +6″ spell range (first cast per model).

Dark Matter Crystal (a relic) allows you to remove a unit close to the bearer from the board and redeploy the unit via deep strike.

Dark Hereticus is still in and there are plenty of more spells.

Aspiring Sorcerers can take other spells (unsure if you can take it on top of Smite or if you drop Smite).

Glamour of Tzeentch spell gives one of your unit -1 to hit protection.

Doombolt spell does some damage and reduces target units move.
Temporal Manipulation is another spell but I have no idea of what it does.

Tzaangor Shaman is an elite choice and not HQ. The Shaman can reroll a Psychic test (probably the Elixir from AoS).

Tzaangor Enlightened can take bows and shoot magical arrows that auto-wound on to hit rolls of 6+. Assault 1d3 shots.

Lord of Forbidden Lore Warlord Trait give an additional spell.

There is a stratagem that allows a unit to set up in the webway or something like that. Deep strike. Works on Tzaangors at least.

Veterans of the Long War is still in!

Mutalith Vortex Beast buffs nearby units. Like reroll charge rolls if you’re in the 6″ aura.

Some good bits, and none of this stuff is bad. Curious to see what their psychic tree ends up like. Also, wondering what price changes there will be with the rules changes and updates. All the codex's so far have had some impressive points changes (mostly drops).
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 02:19:42 PM »
So we begin with the general whatsits.
Faction Focus: The Thousand Sons - Warhammer Community
Drink
Knights Tippler

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 04:57:47 PM »
While I get they like to break in and poke around in the web way, so it's sort of fluffy, it seems a bit weird they get to use it for DS as it doesn't really feel like a reliable form of transport for them lol.

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2018, 05:09:10 PM »
The Webway ideas are certainly interesting and very apt for the Thousand Sons.  How effective they are remains to be seen, but at least they seem promising.  I really don't like all these Beastmen and mutation strategems, but it's no surprise that they have been included.

• Ancient
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2018, 07:40:13 AM »
I really like the flesh change strategem. It's a very thematic power for the thousand sons, reminds me of the bl book 'A Thousand Sons'.  The fact it costs no renforcment points is a bonus. Not sure how applicable it is, but could be a fun surprise.

Webway one is fantastic for the generally slow and short ranged rubric units. Combibe that with 'warp time'and warp flame Rubrics, and you could have a pretty good time.

Curious to see what else they get. The the psychic tree will be important, as well as any points changes.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2018, 09:56:15 PM »
Yeah, Webway is clutch. I can see using Tzaangors as disposable objective holders/screeners and then dropping rubrics in the backfield to mess things up. Tempting.

Doombolt looks cool except for the casting number. That's really high. Unless there are bonuses to cast we don't know about yet, that won't see a lot of play. That was the problem with the index set of tzeentch powers. A target number higher than 8 needs to be a pretty stupendous power.

• Ancient
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2018, 05:15:59 PM »
I feel there will be strategems and traits which will help facilitate casting. Sounds like a thing they'd have.

I'm a big fan of the Tzaangors, I think they will be a good unit for just holding ground and such. I'm excited about the Enlightened with bows too. Apparently hit rolls of 6 auto-wound, which could be really good.

So far, basic power armoured models in every marine faction are pretty lack-luster compared to other options (besides maybe Grey Knights), so I hope they find a way to make Thousand Sons stand out.

But, their two biggest deficits right now are their lack of mobility, and units for screening/holding ground, and this book gives them options to mitigate both.

Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2018, 07:29:18 PM »
A lot of the problems with MEQs lies in cost to field. I'd love to drop 9 rubrics in a squad, but at a price tag north of 250 points to do that, it just isn't worth it.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2018, 11:11:50 AM »
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2018, 11:27:45 AM »
That was, sadly, a very uninspiring read.  I was hoping that GW would release some more detailed information about the actual Thousand Sons, rather than Tzaangors.  As much as I don't like the Tzaangors at all, some of their abilities may be useful, but there's nothing about them which I find interesting.

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2018, 12:04:35 PM »
I don't necessarily object to Tzaangors, but I'm not about to go out and buy up a ton of them if the core units--the sorcerers and rubrics--aren't cool.

Which they've currently provided very little info on, yeah.

• Ancient
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2018, 01:21:44 PM »
Well, it's on pre-order. The collectors edition looks super rad, if I played thousand sons, I'd pick up one of those for sure. I always buy the limited edition books for the factions I play :-)

Sorcerous Power and Unwavering Vigilance - Warhammer Community
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2018, 08:14:47 AM »
Collectors edition codices are too expensive for what they are in my opinion, and this one is no exception.  Besides, I prefer the artwork of the standard Thousand Sons codex.  I'll order mine once it has actually been released.