News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: GML's Harlies  (Read 14992 times)

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
GML's Harlies
« on: March 23, 2015, 03:00:09 PM »
Yup, yet another Harlequin painting thread!

Managed to get my first model painted for the Harlequins today.  It took me about 5 hours of work as I wasn't totally sure what direction I wanted to go and how I wanted to do it, but I am pleased with the final result.  After taking the pictures, I noticed that the base came out a bit dark so hit it with a dry coat of Codex Grey to lighten it up.

Next, I think I am going to do up a Troupe Master and try my hand at the diamond pattern.  I want to use that to differentiate the characters in the list, while the regular Troupes are just the solid red and black.

If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
Re: GML's Harlies
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 03:06:08 PM »
They're looking damn fine GML.  An excellently detailed paint job.  :)

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 03:08:12 PM »
Looking good. I like the contrast of the blue against the red and black, you picked the right shade. I was kinda afraid it might clash but nope, nice and clean. Keep it up!
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 03:56:07 PM »
Looking good. I like the contrast of the blue against the red and black, you picked the right shade. I was kinda afraid it might clash but nope, nice and clean. Keep it up!
Have faith, my good man!  Red and blue are colours that work well together, and everything goes with black!  Working on the Troupe Master right now, and while the diamond pattern looks simple, it is actually a lot more difficult than I initially thought it was going to be.  Still looking good for a first try.

Edit:

Behold!  The Masks of the Troupes! 

I said in my list thread that I want to use the masks to differentiate the squads with different colours.  I settled on using blue, red, and green for the three units.  I was initially planning on using black for the third colour instead of green, but felt that it would look too much like the blue, so this way they stand out a bit more.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 05:38:20 PM by Grand Master Lomandalis »
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 05:41:18 PM »
Yes sir, I live in Texas, haha. The tx flag as well as the rebel flag and the misuse of lighter blues when they are done in art. That's why I probably stay away from those color combos myself. But now....
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 06:13:44 PM »
The Harlequin models are something else aren't they?

I'm very impressed with your work GML.  Nice colour scheme and excellent paint job on the masks. :)

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 06:35:13 PM »
Yes sir, I live in Texas, haha. The tx flag as well as the rebel flag and the misuse of lighter blues when they are done in art. That's why I probably stay away from those color combos myself. But now....
If it helps, I use Khorne Red mixed with a bit of black to bring down the tone for the base, then work up from there, with the final highlight being Evil Sunz.  For the blue, I use Macragge with a touch of black and work up.  Now, when I say I work up, I don't use the layer paints that GW has.  I cheap out and just mix black and white into the colour until I get the shade I want.

I find the red and blues work well if you leave the lighter shades for the highlights.  It is difficult to highlight Ice Blue with another blue colour.

The Harlequin models are something else aren't they?

I'm very impressed with your work GML.  Nice colour scheme and excellent paint job on the masks. :)
Ain't that the truth.  The Deathjester was one of the most frustrating infantry models I have ever assembled because the instructions were just garbage.  Grouping stages together on one image without showing you how it actually is supposed to look in between.  I mean, I know they only had so much area to work with on that little pamphlet, but at least make it two pages!

And thanks, I always enjoy showing that I am more than just a rules lawyer lol
I knew I had fans!!!

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 06:47:15 PM »
Looking good there bud! How do you plan to finish the bases?
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 07:41:56 PM »
I was going for a rubble look, which is different from my normal brown sand.

I've never really been big on intricate bases.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 07:37:07 AM by Grand Master Lomandalis »
I knew I had fans!!!

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 05:33:49 AM »
That look pretty damn sweet man :D i'm looking forward to your next pieces. The color looks spot on to me iim a bit afraid of the green, kinda liked the black, and i find your last picture a bit dark (might be because of phone). So nice to see that are not only a rules enforcer as you say. ^^
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2015, 12:11:00 AM »
First Troupe Master is complete.  This was my first attempt at the diamond pattern, and I think it turned out pretty well, all things considered.  Still going to have the Troupes identify with three they give in the codex (Light, Twilight, Dark).  The red masks will be Light, the green will be Twilight, and the blue will be Dark.  Because of that, I attempted to freehand the symbol for the Master of Light on the corner of his jacket.  Not sure if I will only do the symbol for the Troupes on the Masters, or if I will do them on the basic guys as well.

Anyways... pictures!!!

I knew I had fans!!!

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2015, 07:09:42 AM »
looks great and lotsa diamonds there. Glad your eyesite is good, hehe.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2015, 11:14:45 AM »
Yes, that looks awesome!  I love the effect on the diamonds.  :)

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2015, 12:09:44 PM »
Looking good! I look forward to see more.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 1, 2015, 09:59:03 PM »
Solitaire is complete.  I completely beslubbered up on his face, and somehow managed to break off the nose of the mask while trying to get it to work.  So I just painted it like a large gem, kind of in line with how I envision painting the Shadowseers.  Really, it is just to pull your eyes away from the face and focus on the rest of the model.  I may buy another Solitaire some time in the future to try and redo it, but for now this is how it stands:

I knew I had fans!!!

• Ancient
« Reply #15 on: April 1, 2015, 10:10:53 PM »
Looks good! The army is coming along well. I cannot wait to see them in person.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #16 on: April 2, 2015, 01:05:19 PM »
He looks great! However I think the mask should have a bit lighter highlight to bring it out, but that's just my opinion other then that great as always.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: April 2, 2015, 06:24:53 PM »
Yeah, I agree.  I did that in kind of a rush just to have it finished, but the more I look at it the more it just looks flat to me.
I knew I had fans!!!

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #18 on: April 2, 2015, 06:59:30 PM »
Solitaire is complete.  I completely beslubbered up on his face, and somehow managed to break off the nose of the mask while trying to get it to work.

I hate it when things like that happen.  Especially with what's ahead of me *eyes all the fragile looking scion backpack aerials on his models nervously*

Despite that setback however, I think you did an excellent job on the paintwork.  :)

• Ancient
« Reply #19 on: April 2, 2015, 07:11:34 PM »
I usually break the top knots off models heads when I am clipping them off the spruce. I need to be really careful with those. I'm also really clumsy and I drop and loose bits on the floor :P

I think the Solitare looks good :)
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria