News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The Road to Astronomi-Con  (Read 3020 times)

Offline Disciple of Nagash: GT

• Neophyte | Iron Skull recipient
  • Mike Mudd 2011 Sportsman Award recipient :)
The Road to Astronomi-Con
« on: May 6, 2012, 07:12:53 PM »
With Astro-Toronto a little more than a month and a half away, there's still LOADS to do, so I figured I'd help stay motivated leading up to it if I kept posting pictures and such of my efforts. Since the army I'm using for Astro uses an existing army (my Templars), a portion of my army is already built, but there's still much more to do! With the arrival of my Storm Eagle last week, it put me into full swing. I'll start off by listing the army list and posting the things that I have to do, along with a couple of pictures I have that I'm working on and so forth.
Firstly, my army list:
My army that I'm taking this year is my ever trusted Black Templars. Though rarely they win me tournaments (as in, never have...I got best General once which was great :) never an overall though), with some out dated rules, they are still by far my the most fun for an army that I have for me to play. My idea behind the army was some sort of vanguard army to one of the main Templar Crusades, and focused initially on very fast units, bikes, jump packs, speeders, that sort of thing, then the Storm Eagle was released, so I found my focus point. Using that as the center piece for the army, I formed the rest around it. Troops were the hard part as I didn't want many tanks within the list, so I opted for drop pods which tactically leave me at a bit of a disadvantage with the lack of troop mobility, but such is life and I'll deal with it.
Astro, for those who don't know, uses a different scenario for each table. Some hamper certain army builds while assisting with others, so no matter what list you build, there are tables that can royally beslubber you over, so it's often best just to build something that's fun instead of trying to power build. Also, after the first game, it seems that the organizers purposely try and mess with some armies once in a while, sticking people who have power lists on tables that might hamper them sorta thing.
Anyways, here's my list:
HQ:
Emperor's Champion - Accept All Challenges
Marshal - Terminator Armour, Adamantine Mantle, Storm Shield, Thunder Hammer
Elites:
Assault Terminators (7) - Furious Charge
Troops:
Crusader Squad - 6 Initiates, 1 Neophyte - Powerfist, Melta, Frags, Drop Pod
Crusader Squad - 7 Initiates - Power Weapon, Melta, Frags, Drop Pod
Fast Attack:
Storm Eagle - Twin Linked Multi-Melta, Extra Armour
2 Landspeeder Typhoons
2 Landspeeder Typhoons
Total: 1498
My thought behind it was the rapid deployment of the termies with the Storm Eagle opening things up up close, and the 4 speeders providing cover fire. The pods are in normal reserves to come in once the fighting has gotten underway. All the transports have the capacity to hold the unit that was intended plus both HQ should the need arise for a little bit of tactical flexibility (eg. Storm Eagle with 7 termies, marshal and EC flying in, all 3 units splitting to assault multiple targets).

What Needs to Be Done:
Storm Eagle - build, filled and painted/based
Marshal - build, filled and painted/based
EC - painted/based
2 termies - Updated, 1 based
1 Landspeeder - painted/based
2 initiates - painted/based
While the infantry is mostly done, there are a couple of bigger items that need to be finished...

Pictures of Progress:
Yesterday -
Storm Eagle

Today -
Storm Eagle

Marshal

Reset my counters in prep for 6th:
Black Templars: 0/0/0
Dark Eldar (new codex): 0/0/0

Offline Ginger farseer

• Ork Yoof
  • Armies: Space wolves, Eldar, Orks
Re: The Road to Astronomi-Con
« Reply #1 on: May 7, 2012, 01:44:13 PM »
Wow, that storm eagle looks AMAZING, I would realy realy realy like one, but they cost too much (for now). Also, I like the list, please could you post pics of the army so far? Finaly, I doubt you'll have to try to motivate yourself with the storm eagle.
Be nice to nerds, you'll probably be working for them.

What if by 'fly you fools'  Gandalf was actually telling the fellowship to call the eagles and fly to Mordor?

"Thunder rolled... It rolled a six"

+++Melon melon melon+++
+++out of cheese error redo from start+++
+++Divide by cucumber error. Please reinstall universe and reboot+++

« Reply #2 on: May 8, 2012, 07:56:41 AM »
Work has gotten in the way of yesterday's progress. Been working on the marshal a bit later Sunday and this morning trying to smooth out his cape. Figured a Templar running around in what was obviously just a bit stealing of a Space Wolf Termie cape was not going to win me any points.

Wow, that storm eagle looks AMAZING, I would realy realy realy like one, but they cost too much (for now). Also, I like the list, please could you post pics of the army so far? Finaly, I doubt you'll have to try to motivate yourself with the storm eagle.

They do cost a fair bit. I think with shipping, currency exchange and brokerage fee (damn thing costing so much...) I paid the better part of $200 CAD for the model. By far the most expensive single model I own, but when you figure in the point cost of it, not too bad, considering as Templars, my units (with rhino) usually wind up a little less in points for around $130 with tax (tact squad box, upgrade box, rhino box).

Anyways, pictures :)
Army

Green Squad

Yellow Squad and EC

Termies and Marshal

Closer Shots of Marshal (not bad for ripping apart a Black Reach termie)

Random Landspeeder

EC

Random Termie

Offline Ginger farseer

• Ork Yoof
« Reply #3 on: May 9, 2012, 02:05:04 PM »
Looking good, the storm raven makes the whole army look far more impressive. you have quite an air fleet realy don't you-4speeders and the stormeagle! Also, how did you get the yellowy (or is it non metallic, and we just can't see because of the light?) effect on the random termies storm shield? Finally, the marshal looks great for, as you put it, ripping apart an AoBR termie.

What if by 'fly you fools'  Gandalf was actually telling the fellowship to call the eagles and fly to Mordor?

+++Melon melon melon+++

« Reply #4 on: May 9, 2012, 04:35:04 PM »
The yellow on the storm shields is straight up Iyanden Dark Sun (the old foundation paint one). I liked it. It's not too bright.

Today's work:
Tried green stuffing the gaps in the Storm Eagle. That led to some issues so I pumped one of the gaps with some glue so the wing wouldn't come off and let it sit to dry.

Filed the Marshal's cape. Then took some liquid green stuff and watered it down, and applied it to the back of the came to fix any file marks.

Painted up the Emperor's Champion (just realized I missed his marking on his left knee pad...so it's not in the picture). I wanted to fill in the rest of the grey on his sword so it was more of a contrast between the black and white, but I don't have steady enough of a hand, so decided the 3 colours on the sword was kinda neat to keep. I realized how much detail finecast can produce on this little guy. The etching in the sword and his necklace I don't think I ever fully saw on any metal model. One of 2 finecast pieces I got for my Templars (other being Helbrecht) and they were both flawless so I'm happy about that :)

« Last Edit: May 9, 2012, 04:38:00 PM by Disciple of Nagash: GT »

Offline Ginger farseer

• Ork Yoof
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 03:30:15 PM »
Thank you, just checked my paints, I don't have it!  I must order that. But thank you anyway. I'll either have to leave my wolves storm shields, (they are currently different colours, but I wan t more unity for the squad) or mix up my own version in the mean time. Probabaly go for the second. I agree, it's just right, most yellows seem too bright so they border on garish against my gun metal grey wolves.

Anyway, the Emporers champion is looking good, I especially like the red of the cloth, it's looking great.

+++Melon melon melon+++

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 07:13:12 AM »
Even if I don't paint, the Road to Astro continues without me...
Not much has happened in the last post. Started filling in some gaps with the Storm Eagle (oh boy, I know) and ripped apart my 2 drop pods. I'm sick and tired of the damn doors on the things so I cut them off and will magnetize the doors so they stay on for display purposes but come off for games. I started to paint one of the doors. I realize now that is going to be a bit longer of a process than I had anticipated. I figure if I do a door between models, it won't seem like such a tedious task... I hope. I never finished the one door yet.
Played 3 games against my buddy so he could figure out his 1500 point list for Astro. First 2 games were abysmal for him. Can't remember what happened first game, but second game he gave up at the end of turn 5 when he was down 0 - 5 kill points. We were just running normal out of the book scenarios till the third game, which we tried an Astro scenario: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29608040/Scenarios/Hammer_And_Ambull_v5.1.1.0.zip if anyone cares. We didn't know how many Ambull's to run in it, so we tried 6 but then realized that they didn't seem to hamper anything that much so it must be much much more as it's supposed to be an infestation. We used Tau suits to represent them :) I lost that game :(
Things Left to Do:
Marshal - Paint
1 Termie - Base
2 Drop Pods - Paint, Magnetize
Storm Eagle - Fill, Paint
1 Land Speeder - Paint, Base
2 Marines - Paint, Base
Emperor's Champion - Forgot a damn purity seal! Gotta paint that :)

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 07:15:02 AM »
Unfortunately for my Road to Astro, I met a female so everything has kind of taken a back seat, though she plays Warhammer too so I'm sure she'd understand leading up to Astro if I canceled a few plans here and there to finish my work on my army... Anyways, I'm still working on Drop Pod doors. After the coat of white went on so nicely, I decided nuts to this amphetamine parrot, and started pumping out doors while I get ready for work. I'll show what my doors look like I guess to make up for some of my lack of progress:

(it's a little glossy in areas because the paint isn't dry yet on the black...)

Offline Skari

• "I will enjoy drinking out of your skull"
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 10:13:38 PM »
Nice to see the templars getting some love. Sadly i  shant make astro this year, that stormeagle is going to look fantastic when its done! Keep the updates a rollin.

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 12:09:59 PM »
Ok, so there have actually been updates this time around! I worked on the drop pod for a while, got one door done, and the other 4 to a point where it's just a matter of highlighting the edges and they're done. The main pod itself is black again, and it's just a matter of working on it for a bit. The second pod hasn't even been touched yet... other than to cut the damn doors off (totally done with drop pod doors being attached if I hadn't mentioned it before. they just seem to get in the way all the time). I also filled in most of the gaps on the Storm Eagle, just need to trim some of the excess away and it's good to go and be painted :) Most of my stuff is over at my buddy's place right now. Used a lot of it in a game with the new girl (she plays Necrons  :) ) so with the lack of stuff to do lately, I began working on the marshal today.

Still tons to do on the guy, but alas, I promised this day to her so that's as far as he's getting.
Things still to do:
Finish 1 Drop Pod
Start second Drop Pod
Finish Marshal
Base 1 Termie
Storm Eagle - Trim and paint
Land Speeder - Paint
Story & Display Board

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 09:50:37 PM »
Well, today was a productive day (evening anyways). Got the marshal all painted up nicely, with the exception of the medal portion of the purity seals on him and his hammer. I only have gold paint here and wanted to do them up in different metallics, so I'll pick mine up from my buddy tomorrow. The storm eagle is a half step away from getting sprayed, hopefully tomorrow it'll get all done up nicely. Cracks all filled in and filed down. Just gotta do a one over tomorrow any away she goes. Assembled a pred today, which has nothing to do with Astro, but it needed to be done for a league coming up at my local GW. I also purchased buildings yesterday to assemble for my display board. Got an idea in mine for what I want to do. With the storm talon coming out, I'm thinking if they come in at less than 140 points each, I may swap out my land speeders for 2 of them (if they're available to templars), but that's a rush thing and I don't know if I can handle that. I'll work on the one speeder for now till details are released. No pics today, but tomorrow for sure :)

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2012, 05:11:43 PM »
Alright, been a tiny bit (girlfriend is taking precedence at this time, along with various other important items coming up here and there...), but I managed to fill in the Storm Eagle (officially dubbed Thunder Goose), finished up the Marshal and have been happily working away on the one drop pod. With the sad news that the Storm Talon only being for regular Marines (crap I say, pure crap!) on the world goes. Anyways, here are some pics:
Drop Pod so far:

Thunder Goose:

Marshal:

And for no reason other than it got mentioned, my Pred (yes, that's a white rhino in the background, not going to probably ever be painted, just a humerous thing):

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 10:39:16 PM »
Whole bunch of work done today (least it felt like it)! Got the biggest hurdle out of the way now, the Storm Eagle (now called the Thunder Swan) was blackened today! No more primer on it (the whole day and a bit...). It took the better part of a pot of black to do it up, but I was prepared for that, I bought 3 of them :) Anyways, worked on the drop pod a bit also. No pick of the Swan today (not much to show, it's a darker black now without grey showing through) but:

Things still left to do:
finish highlighting doors on drop pod
Storm Eagle - Paint
Marshal - Base
Land Speeder - Paint/Base
1 Terminator - Base
2 Marines - Paint/Base
Story
Board
If time: Update paint jobs on various marines (they're decent right now, but some could be touched up here and there).

Offline Rusty caravan

• Armies: Dark Angels, Tau Empire
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2012, 03:31:18 PM »
Personally like the look of everything especially the marshal.
Also the Storm Eagle is now ,after seeing the thunder goose my new favorite model.The emperors champion was also very nice, I especially like the sword.
Don't fret about not getting the storm talon I'm sure us other non-codexers (is that the right term?) will get our own flier/fast skimmer thing to rival the Storm raven and talon, until then we do get the storm eagle :D
One day I may get bored of killing, It'll probably be after you're all dead though - Ultron

Offline Skari

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 08:19:17 AM »
Progress goes well! Keep it up. Pics a plenty!

« Reply #15 on: June 5, 2012, 09:59:38 PM »
Alright, been a few days without any updates (not much has been done actually). Started basing a couple of guys which are needed for a league but crossover between the 2 armies (the Marshal and Emperor's Champion), changed the red on the drop pod to match (didn't realize I used 2 different colour reds till the pic I posted here), and continued to work on the Storm Eagle a bit. That being said, no pics for this post unfortunately, though there is a silver lining to everything, tomorrow I'm going to be going to my local GW to play early in the morning, and since I'm planning on staying in town most of the day to hang out with the girlfriend, I will be killing time there all day long, so I've packed everything I need for Astro so I can work on it while I'm there. Since the GW employee is not a fan of me...there should be little to no distractions while there so I can paint for as long as I desire :) Pics to come probably Thursday from tomorrow's efforts.

« Reply #16 on: June 8, 2012, 09:54:39 PM »
Alright then, I promised pictures, kinda beslubbered off for a couple of days, but here they are :)

Based up the Marshal and EC

Painted up the Thunder Turkey a bit:

BASES!!!!

Tonight, I put the first coat of white down on the second pod. Kinda stopped there as I figure watching a bootleg version of The Avengers and assembling Orks would be much more fun right now :)

Offline Skari

« Reply #17 on: June 9, 2012, 11:01:05 AM »
Looking good!

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2012, 11:31:09 PM »
So, with less than a week away till Astro (this Saturday/Sunday), there's not much left to do. Just gotta finish up my Storm Eagle (the cockpit needs to be finished), a land speeder and my board. I've been toiling endlessly for the last couple hours building my buildings for my board. They are just about complete, just got to put in the spots for where the land speeders are going to sit and the decorative parts (those aren't going to be going on till tomorrow when it's on the board) and that's it. Then the spray paint :) though not doing that till it's all on the board. I'm scrapping my initial plan of doing up a drilled out spot for each model.... Seems like a lot of work though I'll see how I'm feeling tomorrow. If I do that, I have to purchase some wood for it, if I don't, I can use a piece of plywood kicking around here for my board. No pictures for tonight, as it's late and sleep is about to befall me...

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2012, 11:43:20 PM »
So, crunch time it is. Today is the 4th last day possible to work on stuff before heading down to Toronto and past the point of no return. Today's project, the board. I scrapped my initial plan for a board as it was only going to be used once and then possibly burned in a fire the preceding weekend, so I decided on devoting as little of time as possible and still have it look decent. I took a piece of plywood found in the backyard at a buddy's place, sanded it down, sprayed it black, coated it with glue, then sand, then glue, then sand, then glue and a final coat of sand, sprayed it down a couple of times with watered down glue in a squirt bottle, sprayed it black, then grey, dry brushed the crap out of it with a lighter grey, sprayed it again with the glue and water, then added static grass. While doing this, I sprayed the buildings black, then grey, then dry brushed them quickly also. I painted them quickly, and I mean very quickly later on. Well, here are pictures from today's tasks:

Simple board layout:

Buildings:

The army so far:

Left to do:
One land speeder
Cockpit of the storm eagle
Squad markings on 2 marines (realized I kinda skipped over that...)