News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Wraithguard and Divination  (Read 3894 times)

Offline MRC

• Freedom is not free
Wraithguard and Divination
« on: July 4, 2012, 07:09:03 PM »
So, Wraithguard were often not used in 6th edition, do to limitations including but not limited to their mobility, their lack of an invul save, their mediocre CC ability, and their short range shooting. While Fortune and Guide helped somewhat, they were still often not considered great value for their points cost.

With 6th edition, and especially Eldar getting access to Divination, I think Wraithguard might be more valuable. Let's take a look at how they might be affected by the different Divination powers:

1 - Foreboding - combined with their amazing Wraithcannons, makes charging them suicidal for even the toughest units. Counterattack doesn't hurt either, giving them two better than average Strength attacks when they are charged.

2 - Forewarning - Perhaps the best power for Wraithguard, makes them SO much more survivable, both in CC and to shooting. Plasma weapons will only wound them on a 3+ and, with Forewarning, only half of those shots will cause an unsaved wound.

3 -  Misfortune - Wraithcannons already wreck almost any unit they hit. Against vehicles, again making Wraithcannons even more powerful.

4 - Perfect Timing - can really mitigate one of the few weaknesses of Wraithguard shooting.

5 - Precognition - Doesn't help the Wraithguard per se, but REALLY helps the Farseer attached to them to survive and even inflict wounds.

6 - Scriers Gaze - No direct benefit for Wraithguard, but is good enough for the Eldar army (especially when combined with an Autarch) that you can truly control the flow of your reinforcements effectively.

Any of these can be swapped out for Prescience, which is another outstanding Wraithguard ability.

Besides Divination improving the utility of Wraithguard, their Fearless USR was improved in 6th edition and, when taken as a 10 man Troops choice with a Warlock with Conceal, they can hold a key objective very effectively.

Anyway, those are my thoughts about Wraithguard in 6th edition. What do you all think?

[gmod]Removed rules descriptions.[/gmod]
« Last Edit: July 5, 2012, 12:12:32 AM by Grand Master Lomandalis »

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
Re: Wraithguard and Divination
« Reply #1 on: July 5, 2012, 06:17:46 AM »
You're right the Divination powers do augment the Wraithguard but you're still going to have a build an army around them.

By keeping the Farseer close to the still slow and short ranged wraiths he's not elsewhere assisting other units who may well be better served by his powers.
The unit is also, still prohibatively expensive and I don't thik with all the different missions and kill/vistory/score points now that you can rely so much on an anvil like this.

Still I love the Wraithguard and will be running them just as soon as I re write all my Iyanden lists!

Offline Ginger farseer

• Ork Yoof
  • Armies: Space wolves, Eldar, Orks
« Reply #2 on: July 5, 2012, 11:26:56 AM »
1 foreboding-        even in a huge squad of wraithguard (ten) there is still only a maximum of ten dead (excluding the warlock) that is providing that all hit and all wound. On average, without cover they would kill 5-6 models, very good vs marines, but vs orks, nids, or anything that can have models of more than 15 who are good in combat- well, they may not inflict that much damage vs the wraithguards high toughness, but you will be tar pitted like them, they lose a 100-200 point unit, you lose at least 450 points-not a good exchange.

Forewarning- seems fine

Misfortune- not sure, in a cover heavy battle it could be good, or against SS termies or something, but the ap of the wraith cannon means it isn't as effective as say, blade storming DA. Also, due to the short range guns, the enemy might not be in cover as often as with longer range guns.

Perfect timing. fine, but they may no be in cover as often due to shorter ranged guns.

Precognition- fine

Scriers gaze- fine.
Be nice to nerds, you'll probably be working for them.

What if by 'fly you fools'  Gandalf was actually telling the fellowship to call the eagles and fly to Mordor?

"Thunder rolled... It rolled a six"

+++Melon melon melon+++
+++out of cheese error redo from start+++
+++Divide by cucumber error. Please reinstall universe and reboot+++

Offline samzor

• Refuse Bot Malfunction! Quick cheese it!
  • Armies: Eldar
« Reply #3 on: July 6, 2012, 04:50:41 PM »
To be honest im going to run 5th edition lists and see what goes wrong.

I can imagine my 2 falcons and fire prism will not be in the list allowing me to run a large tough foot list.

Specifically im going to use my wraithguard as often as possible:

I would like to put a farseer with them and use 'Invisibility' from telekinesis too!

If i was'nt on holidays id have all my models out having practice battles to see what works. For me its a great way to memorize the rules.

Offline Grey Mage

• Champion of Shinning Spears. Remember them well.
« Reply #4 on: July 9, 2012, 08:03:35 AM »
I love my wraithgaurd troops. About 500pts for them, their warlock and a farseer with fortune is a great deal. Theyre nearly impossible to take off of objectives, unless you find yourself against alot of DE opponents. They also make a great bunker for Eldrad to  chill out in, and flanked by a pair of wraithlords they form a phalanx that takes on most marine players without flinching.

With AP 2 being such a valuable commodity now I think theyre stronger than ever. The ability to take a second detachment at larger points allows me to take those two wraithlords without fear that Im neglecting volume of long range firepower by taking these guys- I can get my reapers, prisms and spinners in without issue. Using small jetbike squads as late game objective grabbers with their almost 5' of movement means fitting in that second detachment isnt hard either.

And so one squad is very strong I think. A second starts eating up to many points, and is harder to justify. Complimenting them with Dire Avengers for volume of shots keeps balance in the army.

Im glad I got mine years ago, before the squad costs 200 bucks.
-Is he insane or a genuis?

-Who cares? it worked.

If you do it right, no one will notice you doing anything at all.

The secret to destruction is simple- everything that is made can be unmade.

Want it simpler?-everything burns.

EO History: 6/0/5

Offline haunt

• Aspect Warrior | I Won the Eldar Army List Competition, and All I Got Was This Title!
  • Play and have fun.
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angel, Tyranids, Necrons and Tau
« Reply #5 on: July 9, 2012, 09:03:16 AM »
@Samzor, Invis = Telepathy

As Wraithbone wall user, we got a few good ones there, yet the benefit is very circumstancial as it is random. Where we got sticked at is the fact that taking powers is random now, like fantasy, although there's the a default power you can always take in case you don't like it.

As for getting invisibility, it works wonders especially when you have Conceal due to the stacking capability of certain saves, now this is just still experimental since me and my friends are the ones using it for now in my area.
This is where Death rejoices, as he teaches the living.

Hoc est ubi mors gaudet, quod ipse docet vivis.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

Offline NightMoor

• Autarch of a dying race
    • Youtube channel: battle reports and painted figures
« Reply #6 on: July 9, 2012, 09:41:55 AM »
Wraithguard were always good in 5th (I have dozens of vid batreps on my channel to prove it :)) and they are even better now with the advent of Overwatch and the new powers. Foreboding, Prescience, Forewarning and Invisibility all have usefulness to them, although overall the Divination tree has many more spells that are good for them thus making each roll more likely to be useful. I'll be fielding my full unit even more often now that foot is looking a lot more attractive as a strategy.
Check out my Youtube channel for battle reports and other vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/EldarCorsair

Offline Shadow Slayer

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Fury of Alaitoc
« Reply #7 on: July 9, 2012, 10:56:34 PM »
Wraith guard have always been good. They just don't work well with "Aspect Blitzkrieg" lists.

But sadly, because that's the most popular way to play eldar, they tend to be left by the wayside in most Mech eldar lists simply because they do not fit well within lists like that.

There is a sticky on them in the tactics section that you might find enlightening if you want to get more use out of them.

6th ed I feel brings more to the table then it takes away from them.

What help them in 6th:

Changes to the "No retreat" rule
Over-watch
Random charges
Can be even further augmented with the new psycic powers

What hurts them in 6th:

Screening cover save nerf

Granted the thing that hurts them IS  big deal, but given how well you can augment your units its not that big of one.

Additionally, with a warlock with a witch blade, you have a unit that can actually challenge a squad leader on semi good ground.  (given they don't just roll over and die thanks to an invuln save.)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 11:42:25 PM by Shadow Slayer »

Offline haunt

• Aspect Warrior | I Won the Eldar Army List Competition, and All I Got Was This Title!
  • Play and have fun.
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angel, Tyranids, Necrons and Tau
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 11:03:23 PM »
I actually just played a Wraith List tonight and its a Planetstrike Mission (Planetfall)

Fortune-seer [] RoWard
Fortune-seer [] RoWard

Wraithguard x10 [] Spiritseer, Conceal
Wraithguard x10 [] Spiritseer, Conceal
Pathfinder x8 []

AT-lord []
AT-lord []

Total = 1494

About wraithguards

- Challenges are great in CC, since it actually allows the WG to even last longer in the fight for that power weapon type of any kind is now dedicated in fighting a spiritseer or farseer and not the WG.

- Being a unit of the feared assault type weapons in 40k, it allows them a bonus to the vehicle damage chart.

- Conceal has become a primary in the list once again, due to the cover is a bit blown away at the moment. Especially when you're the exemplar unit from a withering hail of bolter, lasgun, and other types of small arms fire.

- We still attract the ire of heavy weapons even worst than a wraithlord.

- We are a foot-slogging army.

- Our range is not the best.

- NO IS. Very point heavy for a unit, especially as a troop.

- Of course we do not want to forget this, purchasing them weighs heavy in one's pockets especially now. (I'm thankful I have my 72 now, was 70.)
This is where Death rejoices, as he teaches the living.

Hoc est ubi mors gaudet, quod ipse docet vivis.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat