News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 2k army list w/ in depth tactics  (Read 609 times)

Offline Facultas

2k army list w/ in depth tactics
« on: May 6, 2011, 04:07:10 PM »
Here is a list that I drafted up intended for all-comers. Please review it and tell me what you think.

HQ:220
Autarch (WJG, PW, Death Spinner) -110
Autarch (WJG, PW, Death Spinner) -110

Troops:240
x5 Pathfinders- 120
x5 Pathfinders- 120

Elites:488
x8 Harlequins-244
(Troupe Master, Death Jester, Shadow Seer, 2 Fusion pistols, 5 Harlequins kisses)
x8 Harlequins-244
(Troupe Master, Death Jester, Shadow Seer, 2 Fusion pistols, 5 Harlequins kisses)

Fast Attack:741
x10 Warpspiders (Exarch w/ dual spinners, Surprise assault)- 247

Heavy Support:310
Wraith lord (EML, BL)- 155
Wraith lord (EML, BL)- 155

Total: 1999

Tactics:Both Autarchs and the warp spiders will begin in reserve. Harlequins will take advantage of Veil of Tears and remain in the open to provoke enemies into moving towards them. Pathfinders will scout into cover and fire upon units that appear particularly vulnerable to pinning. If none exist they will fire on any monstrous creatures or Independant Charaters. Here they will remain planted for most of the game. The Wraithlords will seek any cover they can use, afterwhich they will shoot the most heavily armored targets on the board (AV 13-14) and ignore the lighter armored units (Av10-12). If no cover is available to them they will merely proceed to the shooting step. Hopefully some units advance upon the Harlequins during turn 1. If not the Harlequins will begin moving forward ASAP. If units do move towards the harlequins and break off from the main force then on turn 2 when the warp spiders come in (2+ rolls due to Autarchs) the spiders will deepstrike behind these overeager units and unleash a volley of Death Spinner threads. What remains of this unit will then be charged by the Harlequins and hopefully wiped out. The other 2 warp spider units will deepstrike directly behind any lightly armored vehicles (or any vehicles with a lightly armored backside) and proceed to try and destroy them. If need be, the 2 wraithlords will attempt to move up the field and assault any super heavily armored vehicles (such as landraiders or monoliths) that are proving resilient to all other fire. The Harlequins during this time will be charging infantry within range or if nessecary assaulting a vehicle with their death jester and fusion pistols. The warp spiders will continue zapping around the battlefield and taking out heavily armored infantry units by forcing the saves. Pathfinders will continue to target low morale units or heavily armored targets and if a threat is percieved will retreat as fast as possible.

Any comments on the list and strategy would be very much appreciated.
« Last Edit: May 6, 2011, 06:32:28 PM by Rainvill »

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: 2k army list w/ in depth tactics
« Reply #1 on: May 6, 2011, 05:30:41 PM »
Very copy and paste. In my opinion you would benefit from mixing it up a bit more.

I would max out one harlie squad, and swap the other for some harlies. It gives you more tactical options.

Dropping a unit of warp spiders to work on your troop choices more would be a good idea. Two small ranger squads in a 2k list is very weak. A squad is good for the home objective, but some times you have to move to others. Some Guardian jetbikes would be a good fit here. It would give you some longer ranges fire power as well.

The Autarchs could really use mandiblasters specially if you plan to assault with them. Swapping the spinners for fusion guns would get you more meltas in the list as well. The spiders themselves already put out enough fire.

Offline Facultas

« Reply #2 on: May 6, 2011, 05:56:41 PM »
Im not sure i know what you mean by max out one squad of harlies and then swap the other for harlies?
I was planning to keep the Autarchs with the Warp spiders and didn't think that mandiblasters were nessecary because the spiders aren't built to assault, I considered giving them fusion guns but decided that it would limit the squads anti-infantry potential rather than just having another death spinner.

I based this army on having the idea of 3 full squads of WS teleporting behind enemy lines and blasting the crap out of all the stuff that the enemy thought was safe. If possible I would like to not change them any more than they are.

I would consider cutting out a unit of harlequins for some more troops though.
« Last Edit: May 6, 2011, 06:25:19 PM by Rainvill »

Offline General Cross

• Armies: Tyranids, Eldar, Salamanders
« Reply #3 on: May 6, 2011, 06:52:22 PM »
I'm not a particularly experienced player but here's my suggestions. Take it or leave it.
 - Firstly, you can knock off the Suprise Assault as Jump Infantry can automatically Deepstrike.
 - I'd second Partninja with advising fusion guns. 22 S6 shots per Warp Spider squad is more than enough for infantry, and a melta will give you that extra versatility. You can always have the Autarchs leave their units temporarily to go for heavy armour.
 - I can't talk about Harlequins as I've never played with them. On paper is looks like having them close through cover as much as possible would help as a 5+ invulnerable isn't gonna have them stand up to much even with Veil of Tears. I assume you're using the Shadowseers to negate the Wraithsight?
 - Again, as Partninja said 10 Pathfinders is probably too few Troops choices. 2+ save in cover is great but they'll crumble if they get assaulted or fail a Ld test. Jetbikes are cheep troops that can hide away and jump on an objective at the end of the game and would counterbalance your static Pathfinders well.
 - Personally I'd replace the Wraithlords with Fireprisms as they can move faster, are armoured, have longer range and can still be versatile (and cheaper even with holofields) but that's your call.

Still, 30 Deepstirking Warp Spiders is a terrifying prospect for any army and it looks like a very fun list to play! Best of luck!
"Always forgive your enemies - nothing else annoys them more!" - Oscar Wilde

"They're ninja elves in space wearing spandex. Spandex is awesome, if you don't agree wait until you're older." - MWG Joe

Offline Facultas

« Reply #4 on: May 6, 2011, 08:37:34 PM »
I was thinking of using fire prisms rather than wraithlords but from reading the forums i gathered that people think wraithlords are much more reliable at antitank duty than fireprisms. Besides the wraithlords, there isn't anything else in the list that can take down heavily armored units so I'm a little apprehensive to replace them.

*I just looked in the back of the rulebook at the stats for all armies. The only vehicles in the game that have a rear armor better than 10 are the land raiders and drop pods. So unless I know I am going up against space marines, my fear of not having enough AT with my warpspiders is completely unfounded due to the fact that at any time the warpspiders can teleport behind a vehicle and blow it away with 22 strength 6 shots. In that case I could easily replace the wraithlords with fireprisms.
« Last Edit: May 6, 2011, 08:54:28 PM by Rainvill »

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: May 6, 2011, 09:06:17 PM »
Im not sure i know what you mean by max out one squad of harlies and then swap the other for harlies?
I was planning to keep the Autarchs with the Warp spiders and didn't think that mandiblasters were nessecary because the spiders aren't built to assault, I considered giving them fusion guns but decided that it would limit the squads anti-infantry potential rather than just having another death spinner.

I based this army on having the idea of 3 full squads of WS teleporting behind enemy lines and blasting the crap out of all the stuff that the enemy thought was safe. If possible I would like to not change them any more than they are.

I would consider cutting out a unit of harlequins for some more troops though.

Sorry brain fart when typing. I meant swap a squad of harlies for scorpions.

I suggested making the Autarchs better at assault since you will likely need to assault after shooting your target. Probably just so you won't receive return fire. Also, being mostly a T3 army, you shouldn't count on all your spider squads getting there, or at full strength. The fusions guns help get you some more reliable AT. You really can't always rely on getting behind armor on your spiders. It's not a perfect world. They are also not very good at glancing armor to death anymore due to the changes of glancing rules and AP- weapons.

Your list is very one sided being mostly CC and shorter ranged shooting. It will get shot down easily by Tau and IG and out numbered and swarmed in CC by orks and nids.

I generally like your idea and theme, however I'm not convinced it will work on the table and dice start getting rolled.

Offline Soldier of fortune

« Reply #6 on: May 7, 2011, 06:40:56 AM »
I think the list is very vulnerable to assault, your Spiders and Pathfinders and very very weak in combat, you only have 2 combat units, Harlequins are quick, but cannot cover the entire line from assault. I'd suggest you find a unit that respond to combat threats quicker, mounted banshees are ideal in this role.

Warp Spiders aren't that great a dealing with tanks, they are AP- and there are lots of other tanks in the 40k universe with AV11 rear, what happens if your opponent castles up in a corner, infantry in front and tanks behind or keep the tanks rear to a board edge?

6 out of 9 missions of the 5th ed rules set are objective based, you only have two brittle scoring units that are immobile, you'll be struggling to win games. IMO.

I'd suggest you either swap one harlequin squad for a banshee squad, dropping one squad of Warp Spiders for a Wave Serpent and a scoring unit, maybe Jetbikes?
It is better to live one day as a lion than a hundred years as a sheep.

Offline Natinator

• Eldrad - my hero!
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 09:47:00 AM »
Your paying ALOT of points for the Autarch's if all they are going to do is shoot... And your paying alot of points for the Harlequins, and not even full squads at that... this army will probably have trouble with horde armies, and tank heavy armies... and real elite armies, as you have nothing that hits hard... what happens if the enemy has a bunch of termies? Or, for example, a Blood Angels army would rip you to shreds (not trying to be mean, just honest) all those deepstriking squads, take out your pathfinders easy as and then you have nothing for objective taking.

22 str6 shots are all fine and dandy, but what happens if you come up against a 30 strong mob of orks or IG? you cant kill all of them, even if you managed to make all your 22 shots count.

To fit in with the spiders (if you plan on keeping them) you really need a fast moving mech wing... harlequins are fast, but frighteningly fragile. The Pathfinders are going to be left alone, with no protection. And if everything is in cover/out of sight, your opponent is going to focus fire on the lords, so they wont last long...

I hope these points help, not trying to be overly critical, but just trying to point out the holes so they can be fixed  :)
Who is EPIC? Eldrad, that's who!