News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: EO Codex Exodites Project  (Read 67886 times)

Offline Iarstilldras

• If I write enough waffle here, I'll run out of sp-
EO Codex Exodites Project
« on: November 25, 2003, 03:57:52 PM »
Hi there.

I'm sure I'm not alone in saying it's high time there was some form of official codex for exodites, even if its something similar to that for the 'Quins in the CJ.

I note the amount of influence sites like Portent.net and B&C have in effecting change in current GW rules - most notably with the revision to Codex Dark Angels.

As the premier Eldar site on the web, I think we have an excellent staging platform to launch an Official Codex Exodites which is at least approved here on EO if not by GW.

Those of you who've read my previous Exodite thread:

http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=54356

... will hopefully agree that we first need to establish the fluff for Exodites before we can get down to fleshing it out with our own fluff and the nitty-gritty of rolling out an army list.

Hence... I figured the best way to start was to collate all currently available OFFICIAL GW EXODITE FLUFF from the following sources:

1 White Dwarf magazines
2 Citadel Journal
3 Any relevant GW produced supplements
4 Any web-based versions of the above

If you come across any of the above please post the reference on this thread, e-mail me with txt files etc (see my profile) or post links on this thread, although please bear in mind copyright.

All input will be gratefully recieved, and hopefully we can make a decent start on this long-awaited
« Last Edit: August 9, 2006, 01:05:37 PM by Creeping Death »
I sense a great disturbance in the Webway...
As if a million Eldar players suddenly cried out in terror
And then went *click* !!!

Offline Rhòanin

• The True Outcast
  • Ancient
  • To each, Their own.
Re: New EO Codex Exodites Project: Fluff Amnesty
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2003, 03:33:23 PM »
I look forward to see what you come up with.

Unfortunately, most of the fluff for Exodites will have been published in 2nd Ed. or earlier.  Better ask Rasmus to dig through his archives.  ;)

Edit: v.1.0 of EO Codex: Exodites
« Last Edit: January 8, 2004, 10:24:12 PM by Rhòanin »
He who follows his own will is a King among men.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2003, 04:56:10 AM »
There is some material in there, and I will see what I can dig up. Don't hold your breath though; I am swamped with things to do which unfortunately rank above this one.

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #3 on: December 1, 2003, 08:25:52 AM »
This I dug up from WD 127. It is wholesale copyright-infringement, I guess. Bad bad me.
However, the very act of fighting against their own nature had an unbalancing effect upon their minds. Hysteria, insanity and a multitude of racial psychoses began to affect almost the entire population. Some Eldar gave in to their hedonistic impulses, joining exotic cults in their pursuit for novel experiences, esoteric knowledge and sensual excess. As these cults proliferated, Eldar society became increasingly divided. Foreseeing the collapse of their civilisation, some Eldar began a series of mass migrations to newly seeded planets where they planned to set up utopian societies free from the taint of hedonism. These Eldar called their migrations the Exodus, and referred to themselves as Exodites. Many early Exodites were wiped out by marauding Orks or became embroiled in the eternal wars of humans, but some were successful. These Exodites eventually founded a second generation of frontier civilisations based around a core of noble houses. Their descendants still rule these worlds after ten thousand years and are known as the Eldar Knights.
Between the survivalist Exodites and the uncaring pleasure seekers were Eldar who were still mentally stable, and who remained behind in the hope that they could help restore order to their civilisation. They became increasingly few in number until even they realised their dream of recovery was hopeless. Eventually even these few die-hards were forced to abandon their homes as the whole Eldar civilisation fell apart in an apocalypse of destruction and madness. The last of the true Eldar eventually deserted their planets on board the few remaining spacecraft, beginning a new phase of Eldar civilisation - the age of spaceborne travel and the Craftworlds. The creatures that screamed and cackled over the ruins of the Eldar worlds could no longer be called Eldar.

More to come as I manage to type it in. The above is from 1991, so it fairly certainly the first about the Exodites ever.

Offline Fenris of the North

• Still haven't scored a wound with Mind War!?!
« Reply #4 on: December 1, 2003, 03:41:25 PM »
Well there are a couple of places in the 2e eldar codex where it talks about the exodites and their culture, interesting enough are the worldspirits, kind of like infinity circuits but over the entire planet

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #5 on: December 1, 2003, 03:45:41 PM »
I will get to those as well.

Offline Lomendil

• Mad Prophet of Commorragh
  • Ancient
  • If it's comprehensible, it's obselete

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #7 on: December 3, 2003, 06:25:54 AM »
http://www.criticalhit.co.uk/w40krp/exodite_worlds.shtml
That isn't official fluff though. Parts of it is, but not all of it.

This is

During the Fall the degeneration of the Eldar was not complete, for many Eldar resisted the temptations of Chaos. Some, the more far-sighted, began to openly criticize the decadence of their fellow citizens, and to warn against the insidiousness of Chaos cults. These people were mostly ignored or else treated as narrow-minded self-righteous fools and fanatics. Soon the general collapse of society convinced even the most resolute amongst them that there would be no end to the reign of death and depravity. Some decided to leave the Eldar worlds, and settle new planets free of the creeping corruption. They were the ones still untainted by the touch of Chaos, and by now they were few.
These Eldar are known as the Exodites. Of all the Eldar race they were uniquely far-sighted. Amongst a race naturally indulgent and hedonistic they were reviled as dour self-righteous fanatics obsessed with misery and self-denial. There were some whose dire premonitions were perhaps yet another form of insanity, simply one more conceit taken to inhuman extremes. Others were genuine survivalists who chose exile over degradation and destruction. In an assortment of spacecraft the Exodites abandoned their homes. Many died in open space. Some reached new worlds only to be slain by marauding Orks or natural predators. Many more survived. For the most part they headed eastwards as far away from the main concentration of Eldar worlds as they could reach.
Upon the fringes of the galaxy the Exodites made new homes. The worlds they settled were savage and life was often hard for a people unused to physical work and self-denial. When the final cataclysm erupted, most of the Exodite worlds were far from the psychic epicenter and survived. The resultant psychic implosion wiped out the rest of the Eldar race and left a gaping hole in the fabric of space, but out on the fringes of the galaxy the Exodites were safe. Many Craftworlds rode out the psychic shock wave and survived that way, but the Exodites had already reached places of safety - or else they perished with the rest of their race and have been forgotten.
Since they were first settled the Exodite worlds have not changed a great deal. The Eldar that live there have learned how to cultivate crops and harvest other natural resources. The psycho-plastics necessary for Eldar technology are rare and precious on these remote planets so the Exodites utilize other substances and rely upon simpler ways and physical labor. The Exodites have developed the craftsmen and artisans needed to work with natural materials to create the items that are needed in their daily lives. The Craftworld Eldar regard the Exodites as rustic and rather simple folk, vigorous and wild in a way that is quite unlike their own introverted societies. Craftworlders and Exodites travel within each other's realms, but their different mental outlook and way of' life means that they have their own concerns.
The Eldar path determines the way of life for all Craftworlders but not for the Exodites. Because of this they seem wild and individualistic compared to other Eldar, more independently minded and adventurous by far than their cousins. They can survive in this fashion because they are distant from the Eye of Terror, the hole in the fabric of space which still acts as a psychic focus for the destructive influence of Slaanesh. This alone is not enough to protect them, but it is a significant factor. More importantly, the Exodite societies are more rigorous and physical than those of the Craftworlds. Where the Craftworlds cling to the past and preserve all they can of their fallen civilization, the Exodites have turned their backs upon ancient traditions in favor of a simpler and harder way of life. Their minds are tougher and more straightforward but not so subtle and ultimately less powerful than the Craftworld Eldar. However, they have survived, and of all the Eldar they seem most likely to continue to do so.
The Exodite worlds are untamed and often dangerous planets. Mighty rivers roar unchecked over their natural flood plains. Massive forests stretch over thousands of miles of virgin woodland. The few meager settlements co-exist with wild beasts of all kinds. The Exodites are too few to disturb the balance of nature. Their settlements are small and thinly scattered. Many are occupied only for a few months of the year, because on many worlds the Exodites are nomadic, moving with the seasons and the herds. They time their migrations so that they arrive at their camps in the late summer to collect crops planted in the spring, remaining until it is time to plant the following year's crop and move on.
The wild creatures that inhabit the Exodite worlds are many and varied. Most of the Exodite worlds are now home to large herds of megadons and other gigantic beasts which the Exodites know by the name of dragons. It is likely that these creatures are native to the region, but that the early settlers spread them throughout all their worlds so that they are now common. The Exodites follow the dragon herds as they graze the endless grasslands of the great plains. By carefully managing the herds the Eldar live upon them, eating their flesh and even drinking their blood, and utilizing their skins to make clothing and leather. Even bones and horn have their uses, and these materials partly substitute for the psychoplastic substances used by the Craftworld Eldar. Although this lifestyle is in many respects a primitive one, the Exodites have many advanced technologies and are familiar with all the sophisticated materials used on the Craftworlds. It is by choice that they live as they do, and their way of life has proven every bit as successful as that of the other Eldar.
There are many different kinds of dragons, some unique to specific worlds, and they are used in different ways according to their size and nature. The megadons are massive herbivores, slow-witted and easy to manage, although deadly if panicked or mistreated. These creatures provide most of the material resources of the Exodites, and small ones are used to transport cargoes and people across the great plains. A large megadon can carry a massive structure on its back, and they bear the most enormous weights without concern. Smaller carnivorous dragons ridden by Exodite warriors are used to herd and control the megadons. Warriors are virtually born into the tail dragon saddles, and wield their long lances with consummate ease. A stab with a lance will turn or stop a megadon without causing it any harm, but the same blow would knock the most hardy Eldar to the ground dead. Warriors are an important part of Exodite societies. Their role is to protect each community as well as to safeguard its beasts from predators.
The Exodites are a tribal people. Each tribe owes allegiance to a local ruling tribal leader, who may rule over several lesser tribes, which in turn owes fealty to the planet's king and his royal tribe. As there are relatively few Eldar there are few territorial disputes. The tribes live within substantial areas which easily meet their grazing and cultivation requirements. Open wars between tribes are rare but skirmishes between rival young Dragon Knights are common. Although not openly warlike, the Exodites are a robust, self-confident people and they have the legendary pride of the Eldar race. Knights frequently try to steal away a rival's beasts or may attempt to move their herds over the grazing areas of other tribes. Such matters are seen as part of a Knight's training, and the dangers of death or serious injury are an accepted part of a young warrior's life. These raids and occasional deaths do not embitter the tribes, and it is notable that no matter how hard fought their disputes might be no Eldar would despoil or steal the crops of a rival tribe even though these lie unprotected for months at a time.
War and battle is not uncommon on the worlds of the Exodites. Ork raids are a constant threat and human settlers are no respecters of Eldar territory. Amongst the most persistent foes are the human settlers of the Knight Worlds which lie closely intermingled with the planets of the Exodites. The human Knight Lords are aggressive, warlike people whose determined independence makes it impossible for even the Imperium to control them. Like the Exodites they are descendants of ancient settlers, raised amidst constant danger and proud of their autonomy. Their fierce war machines are a common sight on the Exodite worlds. Battles between giant war machines and valiant Eldar dragon warriors are always hard-fought and destructive. But the Eldar are capable of aggression too. They use the Webway to reach the Knight Worlds where their raids are often so devastating that entire planets are subsequently abandoned.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #8 on: December 3, 2003, 06:29:03 AM »

WORLD SPIRITS OF THE EXODITES
The wraithbone core of each Craftworld acts as a repository and conductor of psychic power. It is also the ultimate refuge for the spirits of its people in death. Every Exodite world has its own equivalent to the infinity circuit which is called the world spirit. This is an immense store of psychic energy where the minds of dead Eldar are preserved forever. Exodites too wear spirit stones and when they die they are taken beneath the earth into one of the great tribal barrows. They are laid to rest there and their spirit stories are broken upon the altars of the world spirit.
Each world spirit is a complex psychic energy grid which extends over the entire planet, stretching between the tribal barrows, stone circles and standing stones. These important places are where the spirit world and the material world can interact, where the spirits of the dead can flow together, and where the living can talk to the dead if they have the power.
The stone circles and standing stones are made from psychically interactive crystal. These towering stones are gigantic spirit stones which anchor psychic power into the earth. The links between them form part of the Eldar Webway, but the paths from the Webway into the world spirits are well hidden and protected. Eldar are able to move between the Craftworlds and Exodite Worlds by means of the Webway, and there are paths over the Exodite worlds themselves. The most potent link in the entire world spirit network is the royal circle of the planet's king. This impressive structure consists of a system of concentric circles connected by avenues of megalithic spirit stones. The royal circle is supported by outlying menhirs which carry power throughout the entire planet and focus the energy of the world upon that one spot.
Because their worlds are home to their departed spirits and shelter them from the predations of Chaos, the Exodites will fight very fiercely to protect their planets. To abandon a world is akin to abandoning the souls of your ancestors to the warp, for without constant replenishment the world spirits diminish slowly and become vulnerable. Just as the wraithbone core of a Craftworld can unwittingly harbor a daemonic intelligence, so the standing stones can provide egress to daemons from the warp should the psychic paths be left unguarded. For a daemonic army to pour from the barrows and standing stones of the Exodites would be the realization of their worst nightmare, but such things have happened in the distant past and remain an ever-present danger today.

OUTCASTS AND THE EXODITES
Many Eldar take the Path of the Outcast during their lives, leaving their Craftworlds and seeking adventure in the wide universe. These Outcasts travel between the stars in their spacecraft. They search for Maiden Worlds to settle, and visit the Exodite worlds where they may live amongst their distant cousins.
Outcasts are common enough on the Exodite worlds, often seeking the patronage of one of the Eldar tribes. In return they fight alongside the tribe's warriors and, for a while at least, enjoy the freedom of mind which is impossible on the Craftworlds. Sometimes Outcasts settle permanently amongst the Exodites, or upon some uninhabited world, and become the first settlers of a new Eldar colony. To the Exodites the Outcasts are strange romantic figures, the masters of a hidden lore and way of life which is arcane and archaic. They bring skills which the Exodites value highly, and so are always made welcome at the courts of the tribal Eldar.

From Codex Eldar, 2nd Ed.

Offline Rhòanin

• The True Outcast
  • Ancient
  • To each, Their own.
« Reply #9 on: December 3, 2003, 08:57:08 PM »
::applause:: isnt it nice to have access to 2nd ed. stuff?

Many thanks Rasmus, and is it fair to say that this is about the most extensive fluff ever written for Exodites?

Offline Lomendil

• Ancient
« Reply #10 on: December 3, 2003, 09:42:42 PM »
Almost fair.  ;) I have a 100% official contribution this time!  8)

Some Imperial fluff mixed up in it, but it's linked quite closely to Eldar Knights so I left a lot of it in.

Knights (by Andy Chambers, excerpted from WD 126)

Knights are fast-moving powerful war machines, thirty to forty feet tall and controlled by a single warrior, that fight on the battlefields of the Horus Heresy in the service of both Eldar and Human armies. Recruited from feral worlds where lesser versions of these machines are used to herd mighty Megasaurs, Knights take to the field of war alongside other members of their noble families. With their devastating visor-mounted psychic and shock lances, the mere gaze of a Knight can bring death to its enemies.

THE BIRTH OF THE ELDAR KNIGHTS
Long before the Dark Age of Technology, numerous barren as planets were visited by Eldar seed ships. These inhospitable worlds were prepared for the long process of terraforming and then seeded with the essential ingredients to sustain of life. The Eldar plan was to create new worlds to colonize in thousands of years time. These worlds were known to the Eldar as Lilaethan or Maiden Worlds.
As their civilisation neared its collapse, a number of Eldar groups denounced the easy decadence offered by Chaos and abandoned the homeworlds in a series of migrations they called the Exodus, referring to themselves as Exodites. These groups travelled far away and colonized the Lilaethan, determined to escape the terrible fall of their a race that they had foreseen. On their arrival, the Exodites split into individual clans each led by a warrior elite.

Those who joined the Exodus came from all levels of Eldar society but were united in their determination and powerful will to survive. The Exodites were a group which had long been aware of the dangers of indulgence and hedonism; by choice, they selected worlds where their life would be hard so as to avoid the trap of sloth. To a great extent, this suppressed the natural Eldar character of intense emotion and intellect, and did indeed save them from the Fall. Among the Exodites, the intensity of the Eldar nature is expressed as a powerful loyalty to their individual clans and a strong determination to achieve their objectives.

The struggle for survival on these worlds was indeed grim. To enable them to deal with the harsh conditions, the Exodites converted the sleek war machines they had brought with them into tall walkers which they piloted across their new planets, tending the virgin worlds. The ruling warrior Elite gradually developed a system of status and honour which brought about the society now known as the Eldar Knights. Dwelling in tall keeps, the Knights strove to hasten the planets' evolution and bring life and order out of the primeval maelstrom.

After the Eldar Fall, the craftworlds sought out the colonists to offer them a place on board. The Exodites coldly told their craftworld brethren that they preferred to stay where life was simple if harsh, and the dangers were obvious. Though the craftworlds and Exodite colonies trade with one another, the Exodites still maintain that the easy lifestyle on the craftworlds is dangerously close to that which brought the downfall of their race.

In order to produce the food necessary to trade with the craftworlds, the oceans of the planets were seeded with algae to form vast floating weed beds. These weed beds and the lush vegetation of the primitive jungles provided nourishment for docile brontosaurus-like herd beasts called Megasaurs created by the Knights through cloning and genetic engineering. The Megasaurs in turn provided protein-rich food for the craftworlds. The herds were shepherded by the Knights in their machine-bodies, protecting the Megasaurs from predators and moving them from place to place to feed. On occasion, the Knights of different clans would clash over watering rights or border disputes, though combat took an almost ritualised form intended more to hone the Knights' skills than bring about bloodshed.

THE COMING OF MEN
During the Dark Age of Technology, scouts from Earth travelled far through the galaxy seeking planets to be used as agricultural worlds to provide food for the huge hiveworlds of Humanity. They copied the farming techniques used by the Eldar Knights already living on some of the worlds discovered. In a period referred to by the Exodites as The Coming of Men, the Eldar and Human colonists clashed in a series of bloody wars as the Eldar Knights sought to protect their homes from the interlopers.
When these planets were cut off in the Age of Strife, they became feral worlds. A warrior aristocracy grew up on the Human worlds, mimicking the lifestyle of the Eldar clans. On many worlds, the Eldar clans resurged to win back the lands they had lost and settled into a pattern of battling and raiding both against the Humans and each other. The wealth of the noble Human houses and Eldar clans was based on their herds and much herd-raiding went on. The herds were greatly reduced in size, but, as the only readily available food source, were just as important.

While the Eldar shared their duties equally throughout the clan, the Human nobility enforced a feudal system on those below them. A sub-class of Drovers looked after the herds, as the nobles would not soil their hands with such work. The Drovers' walkers were not, by law, armed with weapons even though they lived in constant danger from raiders and predators. This ensured that the Drovers had to rely on the Knights of the nobility for protection and nullified any chance of revolt.

As well as the nobles, each house could field large numbers of men at arms, either mounted on horses or on foot. These were equipped much like Planetary Defence Force and Imperial Guard units elsewhere in the Imperium, though with not nearly as many heavy weapons. When the nobles grew too old to carry on fighting in the harry and slash of raiding or the swirling melee of battle they would give their armour to their eldest son and take instead the armour of a Warden. Wardens formed the steadiest element within the noble houses, usually found defending the keep or protecting the Drovers.

On many of the worlds, groups of artificers and technicians became the most important of the nobles' subjects. They initially simply maintained the Knights for the nobles but soon learnt to speak with one voice, threatening to withdraw their services from any Lord who failed to take heed. They styled themselves as a priesthood for the half forgotten mysteries of technology and were called Sacristans. As their power grew, they arbitrated between the different houses to ensure they did not wipe one another out in bitter feuds. The ever-present dangers of their worlds meant the Knights could not survive wars of attrition and genocide, and this necessitated the use of chivalric values to settle disputes. Eventually the Sacristans on many worlds ritualised the virtues of Honour, Duty and Valour and passed on these traditions from generation to generation. With the acceptance of these values the nobles became known as The Chivalry.

In addition to the threat posed by hostile houses, the Chivalry had to fight constant battles against swift Carnosaurs which preyed upon the herds. Hunting the Carnosaurs honed their fighting skills to a deadly art, preparing them for the periods of violent warp activity which created monstrous mutated beasts. When such a beast was sighted, all the Chivalry would go on quests to seek out and destroy the creature before it tainted the land.

THE REDISCOVERY
Thousands of years later, the planets were brought back into the Imperium. When Rogue Trader Jeffers rediscovered the agriworlds he referred to their inhabitants as Knights, pointing out their many Knightly virtues as he emphasised the worlds' value to the Empire both as a massive food resource and as a source of born and bred warriors. The Administratum agreed with Jeffers' findings and quickly set about rediscovering the rest of the long-lost agriworlds. To their delight, they found that two in three of the originally settled worlds were still occupied by Humans working along very similar social lines. The remaining worlds were either occupied by both Eldar and Human Knights or held exclusively by clans of Eldar Knights with strong links to the craftworlds, trading natural raw materials for technology.
Often, a Knight world would be affiliated to a Titan forgeworld, producing food for it, while the Sacristans would come under the control of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Other Knight worlds were left with a large degree of autonomy, required only to produce food and obey the call to arms when given.

« Last Edit: December 3, 2003, 09:46:06 PM by Lomendil »

Offline Lomendil

• Ancient
« Reply #11 on: December 3, 2003, 09:44:15 PM »

KNIGHT SUITS
Knight suits are similar to Titans in that they are controlled through a direct mind link. Imperial Titans are imprinted with a feral personality, which must be dominated by the Princeps in order to control the machine. The Titan's personality is there to handle all the mundane tasks in operating such a machine, like balancing and walking, leaving the Princeps free to concentrate on more important things.
Eldar Knight suits contain a spirit stone which supplies the personality for the machine. When linked to the lone Eldar pilot, this lends Eldar Knights a fluid grace lacked by Human Knights. The spirit stones in Eldar Knights are often ancient artefacts dating back to the time of the Fall and contain the the souls of many long dead heroes. When an Eldar Knight links with his suit, he exchanges a portion of his consciousness with those in the stone. This makes Eldar Knights strange characters often speaking in archaic tongues and referring to past ages with unnerving familiarity.

Human Knight suits do not have a permanently imprinted personality. Instead the Knight sits in a throne, which is imprinted with aspects of his own personality. The throne is plugged in to the armoured Knight suit and may be transferred from one Knight suit to another, though this is a rare occurrence usually only undertaken if the old suit is damaged beyond repair or the Knight wishes to become a Warden, passing on his old Knight suit to a younger relation. Imprinting your personality on a throne is a lengthy, sometimes dangerous, business. It has become a rite of passage for young nobles - this is how they become an adult. When he is old enough, a noble son who wishes to become a Squire undertakes a vigil in the family's chapel or sacristy, remaining seated in the throne throughout the long night. He is surrounded by the ancient thrones and battle banners of his forefathers which are kept in the sacristy, reminding him of the long traditions of honour and chivalry he is expected to maintain. The imprinting process tends to exaggerate dominant aspects of the young noble's personality, especially with regard to the way he is feeling during his vigil. If he is scared, the personality imprint will always be scared, making the suit difficult to control in combat. If the noble is angry with someone (say a brother who made fun of the noble before his vigil) the personality imprint will always hate that person, even if the noble has got over it.

When a noble dies, his throne retains some of his character. Nobody else can use it to control the suit until they have overlaid their personality onto the throne. It is still possible, however, to communicate with the personalities in the throne. Thus they are often kept and placed in the family's sacristy, a direct link with the ancestors of a noble house. It is the height of dishonour to deny a family the opportunity to salvage the thrones of Knights who have fallen in battle and the family will go to any lengths to get them back.

Note that the unarmed suits used by herdsmen are not controlled in the same way. They have a simple mind-link like that used on a Dreadnought. This makes them slow, lumbering machines when compared to the sleek thoroughbreds used by the nobles. The Sentinel walker used by the Imperial Guard is in fact a copy of the tried and tested Drover suit adapted for combat with the addition of basic armament.

Though there are, many different designs of Knight suit, a common feature to all except Warden suits is the lance. The lance is a short ranged area weapon developed from devices used for herding Megasaurs. To affect the dull nervous systems of Megasaurs, lances needed to be very powerful. The war lances used by Knights in battle discharge all their tremendous power in a single cataclysmic blast, making them a weapon much feared by their opponents. The lance is always mounted in the Knights' visor, a practice that has given Knights a reputation of being able to kill with a single glance.

Knights are rapidly-moving war machines, able to advance swiftly across the battlefield, deploying their heavy firepower to devastating effect. They are frequently used to forge ahead of the main formation to spearhead an attack or secure an important position. During a battle, these highly-mobile hard-hitting units may be ordered to make flanking attacks, out-manoeuvring slower-moving enemy forces, and can be quickly redeployed whenever a new or unexpected threat is posed.

There are three levels of status for Knights: Squire, Knight and Lord (Wardens of this status are known as Seneschals).

FORMATIONS
All Knights are organized into detachments of three or more machines. The Knights in each detachment belong to a single noble house, though it's possible that a large house may be represented by more than one detachment. In major battles it is not unknown for large houses to field up to thirty kinsmen, although six to eight is more usual. Though many of the houses have blood-ties extending back hundreds of years, there is much lingering distrust between the numerous houses. Thus, if Knights are fighting on both sides in a battle, all the Knights fighting together on one side will be allied or related houses battling out a bloodfeud against age-old enemies.
Human Knights are always fielded in detachments containing only one class of Knight. It is traditional for each household to use either Knight Paladins or Knight Lancers rather than a mix of the two, although large houses often fight with both classes in separate detachments. All the truly great noble houses, legendary names such as Hawkwood, Beaumaris, Arundel, Mortimer and Warwick, have the resources to call on Knights of any class: Paladins, Lancers and the stern, unflinching Wardens. Lesser families may only have a few Knight suits of a single class, worn by the finest of their warriors.

Eldar clans, on the other hand, frequently use a combination of two or three classes within the same detachment and aren't subject to the same restrictions as the Human households. The most common mix in Eldar detachments is Fire Gale and Towering Destroyer classes; if the detachment also includes Bright Stallion Knights, it means the Stallions can't make use of their superior speed.

HERALDRY
Eldar from the Lilaethan or Maiden Worlds paint their Knights in the clan's colours. Clan motifs and runes are added to both the Knight and its banners according to individual taste. The motifs of the Exodite clans are based on animals, each of which has a deep spiritual significance within the clan that uses it. The rank of the Eldar is shown by a strict colouring code: Lords have silver heads, Knights have bronze heads and Squires have gold heads.
Each of the Imperial noble houses that field Knights have a livery of two colours. They use these, with adapted Imperial heraldry, to denote rank. Squires use the basic livery colour (usually the colour that is dominant on the household's banner). Knights use the basic colour halved with the secondary colour, and Lords use the two colours in a quartered pattern. The actual areas painted in different colours varies from house to house and between the different designs of Knight, but the basic pattern is always retained. Wardens are usually coloured all white, with a single panel in their household colours in a pattern appropriate to their rank. Emblems on the war machines and their banners are adapted from the main household banners. These banners usually show a heroic ancestor in battle with a mythological monster as their central image. Campaign banners and emblems are often added while the Knights are on crusade with Imperial forces.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #12 on: December 4, 2003, 04:05:09 AM »
I think we have covered all the major bits. There are some references to Exodite-worlds when talking about the webway and old wars, but it says nothing about the Exodites themselves.

Offline Rhòanin

• The True Outcast
  • Ancient
  • To each, Their own.
« Reply #13 on: December 4, 2003, 10:10:14 PM »
Many thanks guys.

There you have it, Iarstilldras, most (if not all) Exodite fluff.

Offline Iarstilldras

• If I write enough waffle here, I'll run out of sp-
« Reply #14 on: December 5, 2003, 06:19:02 AM »
WHOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHH HH!!!!!

The response to this thread is way beyond anything I could have imagined....

Many thanks to everyone that's contributed... and feel free to continue to do so....

Sorry I've not been around to join in... that's another story involving a dead HDD... but now we can really start pulling this together.

Keep it comin'!!!!
I sense a great disturbance in the Webway...
As if a million Eldar players suddenly cried out in terror
And then went *click* !!!

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #15 on: December 6, 2003, 01:50:19 PM »
I don't think there is anything more. Scraps from the table, perhaps, but you have the bulk of it in this thread now.

Offline Dark Flame

• I messed with the wrong farseers AGAIN, yet somehow became an unactive Mod
  • Ancient
« Reply #16 on: December 7, 2003, 01:01:51 PM »
  Well, I htink that this fluff should probably be suffiecient to make the codex.  Good job Rasmus and Lom.

Offline ChiefDante

• Follow me, brothers, battle awaits!
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2003, 12:11:38 PM »
i thank u guys as an exodite fan

GOOD JOB!!!!!!!!!!
Fear not the death brothers, for she is old and slow, and will never catch the Windrider host.

Offline ChiefDante

• Follow me, brothers, battle awaits!
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2003, 05:13:26 PM »
well now we got it is some one goin to start a thread for codex ideas and incite

Fear not the death brothers, for she is old and slow, and will never catch the Windrider host.

Offline Rhòanin

• The True Outcast
  • Ancient
  • To each, Their own.
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2003, 09:40:33 PM »
I would highly encourage the EO Exodite Codex Project to continue in this thread.

Seeing as this was mainly Iarstilldras' undertaking - lets see where he'd like to go with this.