News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Iyanden Craftworld Trait, thoughts?  (Read 2583 times)

Offline papagumdrop

• Even in Death we Fight
  • Armies: Eldar, Tyranids
Iyanden Craftworld Trait, thoughts?
« on: October 17, 2017, 08:06:40 AM »
Greetings all,

What do we all think about the Iyanden trait? Seems like it will help my guardians and wave serpents quite a bit.

I have been running a Ynarri Wraith list and hopefully it won't be affected too much. Am I correct in thinking they still only lose battle focus by having a Ynarri leader and not the trait?

Anyways I have gone 3-1 with this list (all wins against marines, the loss was against chaos demon smite spam)

Battalion:

Yvraine
Farseer
3 x 10 guardians with shurkien cannon platforms
Hemlock Wraithfighter

Vanguard:

2 Warlocks w/ Witch Blades
2 x 5 Wraithguard w/ D-Scythes
5 Wraithguard w/ D-Cannons
3 Wave Serpents w/ 3 Shuriken Cannons, Spirit Stones, Vector Engines

At the very least I am adding in at least one Spiritseer now and maybe Wraithblades instead of the D-cannons, any other suggested changes? Obviously this will change once we know all the codex information but just excited to start planning for any model upgrades.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: Iyanden Craftworld Trait, thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 08:13:32 AM »
Yeah Iyanden is looking SUPER solid. Their relic + empower on the Wraithblades is huge. It enables them to go toe-to-toe with spam armies... clearing away screens and allowing the heavy hitters to get in their and take out artillery, knights etc.

This small preview is really encouraging me that elite type armies will get tools to wash away cannon fodder spam.

As for the Ynnari thing... I'm guessing you will lose the Craftworld traits if you play Ynnari. Although in GS:II Iyanden, Y'riel and Iyanna joined the Ynnari... (Y'riel practically becoming the 4th member of their little group since he wields a cleansed version of the Spear of Twilight which is a Crone Sword). For game balance purposes it makes sense to me.

I'm putting money on retooled battle focus. Perhaps being able to choose between run + assault or run + shoot.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline haunt

• Aspect Warrior | I Won the Eldar Army List Competition, and All I Got Was This Title!
  • Play and have fun.
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angel, Tyranids, Necrons and Tau
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 10:17:57 AM »
What I am expecting them to add are Bonesingers.
This is where Death rejoices, as he teaches the living.

Hoc est ubi mors gaudet, quod ipse docet vivis.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 12:40:08 PM »
It's pretty safe to assume you won't be able to be Ynarri and a Craftworld at the same time. That would be quite pointless as you would always just double dip.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 12:45:32 PM »
It's pretty safe to assume you won't be able to be Ynarri and a Craftworld at the same time. That would be quite pointless as you would always just double dip.

Well, you need either the Yncarne, Yvraine or Visarch as your warlord in a Ynnari army, and they don't have the craftworld keyword, so yeah lol.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline MechTau

• Eldar for the Eldar God!
  • Armies: Tau, Eldar
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 12:51:11 AM »
If I do Mech Eldar, it seems like it would be really hard to go better than the Iyanden trait.

Not only is this the trait for anyone seeking to overwhelm their opponent with armor, but it basically breaks game balance on any large unit.

Wraithlords, if I understand this correctly, need to be brought down to 2 wounds before they start losing combat effectiveness.

Offline Scorn

• Supreme Archon of Commorragh | Nasty Sky Juice | Title (and/or) Whore |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Craftworld Eldar
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 01:27:38 AM »
I'm very curious about Wraithlords under these rules, with the Toughness buff and the Iyanden trait they are much more durable but so far their offensive output hasn't changed.

I've struggled to make their points back using them in a shooting role.  Will be trying close combat variants soon with these rules.
Rejoice.  Despair. 
Fate does not care.
Each knotted mind entwined. 
Each soul another's bind.
And blind though we are led. 
In time we do know when, to cut a thread.
-Erfworld

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 02:14:30 AM »
I'm very curious about Wraithlords under these rules, with the Toughness buff and the Iyanden trait they are much more durable but so far their offensive output hasn't changed.

I've struggled to make their points back using them in a shooting role.  Will be trying close combat variants soon with these rules.

I think they will generally struggle in a pure shooting role in part because you are paying for their sweet close combat ability and the short ranged arm-mounted guns, even if it is "free" catapults. If you have a Wraithlord, even without a sword, it's pretty threatening in assault and will smack down like 1 space marine or terminator per turn in assault, or put down ~2.5 wounds per turn on a Rhino. This is pretty good combat effectiveness and you're spending the points for that even if you just have a WL with two bright lances.

I've run a WL with 2 Flamers and nothing else, and this is reasonably threatening but it's tough to say if it is good value.

It could be the case that a good way to get value out of a Wraithlord is put some threatening guns on it and keep it with an element of the firebase that would advance or need to defend itself against deep strikers or something, so it can also use the short ranged guns and assault ability if needed.
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
  • Armies: Tyranids, Lamenters (BA), Eldar (Iyanden), 1k Sons
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 05:58:37 AM »

Well, you need either the Yncarne, Yvraine or Visarch as your warlord in a Ynnari army, and they don't have the craftworld keyword, so yeah lol.

not necessarily. The imperial guard allows you to add commissars and regimental advisors to your [regiment] detachment without actually losing your acces to your regimental bonusses. Could be the same for teh ynnari.
check out my Iyanden painting blog.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 12:48:19 PM »
That's an apples to oranges comparison though. The commissar isn't allowing units two make two actions...

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 02:22:54 PM »
They are also completely different factions. Commissars are in the same codex as Astra Millitarium. I for one am happy that there will be solid reasons now to not just always run Ynnari Eldar, and actually run craftworlds. Makes army building choices more interesting.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline MechTau

• Eldar for the Eldar God!
  • Armies: Tau, Eldar
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2017, 02:50:41 PM »
Ulthwe multi-wound models will have more wounds, so in many ways the Ulthwe strat is better for a Mech and Wraith heavy army.

Offline Rhyleth

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2017, 02:21:34 PM »
They are also completely different factions. Commissars are in the same codex as Astra Millitarium. I for one am happy that there will be solid reasons now to not just always run Ynnari Eldar, and actually run craftworlds. Makes army building choices more interesting.

Minor flavour query: why is Eldrad in the Craftworld Codex? Doesn't the current fluff have him as the creator - and presumably part of - the Ynnari?

• Ancient
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2017, 05:12:46 PM »

Eldrad had a hand in getting things started, but he wasn't around for the gathering Storm events.

Also, his plan to awaken Ynnead basically was foiled by the deathwatch, so he was probably not immediately aware of when Yvraine became the herald of Ynnead.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline SeekingOne

• Exarch
  • May Hoeth guide our ways...
  • Armies: Eldar (Saim-Hann), Space Wolves
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2017, 05:39:13 PM »

This. I have the codex and it says so quite specifically. Ynnari get neither Battle Focus nor CW bonus.

Post Merge: October 28, 2017, 05:40:12 PM
In the future, please use the modify button. Double posting is against the forum rules, and for that reason, the system merged your posts.

I'm putting money on retooled battle focus. Perhaps being able to choose between run + assault or run + shoot.

Battle Focus is unchanged from Index.

Post Merge: October 28, 2017, 05:42:42 PM
In the future, please use the modify button. Double posting is against the forum rules, and for that reason, the system merged your posts.

Minor flavour query: why is Eldrad in the Craftworld Codex? Doesn't the current fluff have him as the creator - and presumably part of - the Ynnari?

The new codex states that Eldrad is an outcast and a renegade now, leading his own Corsair fleet. He's not with Ynnari too, he's on his own. He and his followers are still Ulthwe though - apparently they haven't yet been away from home long enough to forget their heritage :)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 05:42:42 PM by SeekingOne »
I fight against Chaos and for Order, because it means fighting for Life against Death. There is no other battle truly worth fighting.

"If it's not for a tournament then play whatever it is that you like. Without the pressure of having to utterly destroy your opponent it opens up alot more opportunity to have fun." - Lazarus

Offline haunt

• Aspect Warrior | I Won the Eldar Army List Competition, and All I Got Was This Title!
  • Play and have fun.
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angel, Tyranids, Necrons and Tau
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2017, 07:38:31 PM »

Eldrad had a hand in getting things started, but he wasn't around for the gathering Storm events.

Also, his plan to awaken Ynnead basically was foiled by the deathwatch, so he was probably not immediately aware of when Yvraine became the herald of Ynnead.

He actually informed Arienal about looking to Ynnead for "Hope".

- This was in one of the fluffs in the previous codices, just can't remember which 1.
This is where Death rejoices, as he teaches the living.

Hoc est ubi mors gaudet, quod ipse docet vivis.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat