News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Grey Knight Allies--Are they worth it, what are their uses?  (Read 967 times)

Offline The Swiss Army

So yeah, the title about says it all.
I've been considering adding some Grey Knights to my 1850 and 2000 point lists, mainly as a shooty assault unit.
Does anyone have any advice on how to use them, or if they're at all suitable to be in a list designed to take on any race? How well do they work as a shooty unit, or as an assault one? Is it worth it to deep strike them?
Sorry, but I have little experience with them. I saw their impressive stat line and list of abilities and wondered what they could be like. If anyone has any advice, I'd love to hear it. Thanks.

Offline [dixon]

• I pretend to be other users
  • BANNED
Re: Grey Knight Allies--Are they worth it, what are their uses?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 07:50:00 PM »
Well, really the only way to use Grey Knights is to Deep Strike them, that said, while Grey Knight Terminators are awesome in Assault, Codex Terminators are far more versatile, do to having one or two Assault Cannons to shoot on the turn they land.  I don't really rate regular Grey Knights, as for cheaper you can also simply Drop Pod a Tactical Squad, which will be both cheaper, and have the Drop Pod as 'cover' in the form of blocking LOS, and keeping them in one piece.
8-10 Grey Knights that Deep Strike onto the field are going to be a huge target for anything that can kill Marines, and as they are even more expensive, that's more points handing to the opponent for something that dies just the same as a Marine.
I pretended to be other members, and finally got BANNED

Offline Lazarus15

• Fantasy>5th Ed.
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 11:21:33 AM »
I run a squad of GK Term, with a grand master in my Vanilla codex, legion of the damned army.  I believe they are superior to normal terminators.  With all of the special rules (check the dameon hunters codex), wargear you can give the Grandmaster, and having 3 attacks each all the time with S6 power weapon, Grandmaster has 5 with S6 FORCE WEAPON and also having the ability to premeasure your shooting (targeter), as well as all having WS 5, ALL of this for 6 points more per model....yeah right.  I run a Term. chaplain with a thunder hammer and crozius in with that squad as well.  Pricey however, re-rolling all those to hits, as well as if you are the enemy, choosing what to attack, the GM, the Term, or the Chapl., then when the Chaplain strikes, if the thing is still alive some-how, he is now at (I) 1.  I also, sad to say, run them in a LR Crusader (lots of points).  So far, this squad is pricey, however VERY effective.  Practically invincible to psychic powers (special rule as well as look at Unguents of Warding in the wargear section), and have a heavy weapon that ignores inv. save., cover save, and is AP 4.  I use the incinerator, deep strike next to harliquens, farseers, or warlocks.  Good bye, you get no save. 
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 11:24:06 AM by Lazarus15 »
Kings of Khemri versus The Master of Change.

Warseer Member Charred Remains about the 5th Ed. "No Retreat Rule" :

"But this 'no retreat rule' thing now just doesn't have any drama.The rule executes with the speed of an oncoming sore throat. It's a slow dickover. Kinda like doing your taxes. I'd vote to change it."

Offline Purgatory

• Neophyte
  • Auxilium et Concilium
    • The Ailarian
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 02:16:56 PM »
I use a squad of Power-Armoured Grey Knights (PAGK) in my Infiltrators/Deep Strike list. A squad of 8, two of them armed with Psycannons intended to DS next to a teleport homer, fire away and the counter-charge when needed.

They cost a total of 275 points, which is rather expensive, considering I could get a squad of 5 Codex Terminators with 2 Assault Cannons for 240. It is there for coolness factor though, and I must say I love my Grey Knights, they have performed well enough in the past.

One thing bugs me though: Grey Knights, elite of the elite, champions of humanity blah blah can't take Frag Grenades! :( They're like assassins. All awesome elite warriors, but can't even take one of the most fundamental wargear pieces for an assaulting unit. It's sad, really...

Purg

Offline Lazarus15

• Fantasy>5th Ed.
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 03:38:55 PM »
Land Raider Crusader....frag launchers...hmm tank (homer voice)

My squad of 5 Terminators, with Incinerator is 245.  Base they are 230.  I could have 6 GK Term. for all the additional benefits, for your 8 GK marines?  Man, I will be honest.  Give me the Term.'s.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 03:40:45 PM by Lazarus15 »

"But this 'no retreat rule' thing now just doesn't have any drama.The rule executes with the speed of an oncoming sore throat. It's a slow dickover. Kinda like doing your taxes. I'd vote to change it."

Offline The Swiss Army

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 05:34:03 PM »
So you would certainly say that deep striking them is better than marching them? They could run up behind a Rhino or two, and the storm bolters can be quite potent, even against marines (should kill 2-3 per salvo) or necrons.

Offline Purgatory

• Neophyte
  • Auxilium et Concilium
    • The Ailarian
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 05:42:40 PM »
Land Raider Crusader....frag launchers...hmm tank (homer voice)

My squad of 5 Terminators, with Incinerator is 245.  Base they are 230.  I could have 6 GK Term. for all the additional benefits, for your 8 GK marines?  Man, I will be honest.  Give me the Term.'s.

You do know that you have to take a Brother-Captain with the GKTs, right? Base cost for BC and 4 GKTs (as in 5 Terminators) is 245.

Also, the LRC costs a fortune as well, and in a Codex: Marine list, those points are way, way better off spent on regular Terminators for their Assault Cannon goodness.

Man I will be honest. Give me the Codex Termies.

Purg

Offline The Swiss Army

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 10:57:04 PM »
Sorry--to clarify on my previous post, I'm not designing this list with GKs to mainly play other Marines, or Necron players, I'm just using them as an example of armies with really good basic troops.

Offline robdark22

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 09:09:36 AM »
you may want to fix the post topic i saying that next time so were there not as much confusing about what the topic may be . so for basic troops there good in to area firepower at 24 to 30 inches and lay down firepower every turn even when reduced in number which really helps in  the look run but for the model count in the army by them selfs really doesnt help them.
you live or die based on the decision you make it quick or i make it for you.

Offline Lazarus15

• Fantasy>5th Ed.
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 06:48:38 PM »

You do know that you have to take a Brother-Captain with the GKTs, right? Base cost for BC and 4 GKTs (as in 5 Terminators) is 245.
[/quote]

Except when you use them as a retinue, then you do not use a brother-captain. 

Offline [dixon]

• I pretend to be other users
  • BANNED
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2007, 09:20:45 PM »
Yeah, because the Brother-Captain is the hero that is accompanied by the Retinue.  ::)
I pretended to be other members, and finally got BANNED