News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Pre-Orders are now out for Nids!  (Read 2628 times)

Offline Halollet

• My halo grew a mullet...
  • Armies: Grey Knights, Guard, Sisters, Tau, & Tyranids
Pre-Orders are now out for Nids!
« on: January 4, 2014, 10:36:42 AM »
What's New Today | Games Workshop

First impressions: I need to go change my underwear.....  I've been reminded today why I love love love the great devourer!

Secondary impressions:

Harpy:  At first I was disappointed that its look was just that of a flying carnifex.  Then I realized that it was a flying carnifex. A FLYING CARNIFEX.  I'm okay with this now.  I think they did that so the biomorph heads could be used on it. At least I'm hoping so cause that's awesome!

Hive Crone looks promising though.  The little bugs on it and the idea of a hive... I'm thinking its attack will make more nids.

New bioweapons: I saw that the hive guard got some sort of new gun.  It looks, really interesting I guess?  Looks like a gun with an implant attack or something.

Hive guard look very much like a shield which I think is okay.  They look like their purpose which is what nids are suppose to do.  Are those mini crushing claws?

Looks like the warriors now come with lashwhip and bone sword options which is good.  Prime looks very prime like.  I think I see a tail biomorph maybe?

Deathleaper is now an HQ choice?  That's interesting!

Hive guard and Tyrant Guard are in the same box... which means there's a ton o bits in that box! Me wants!

Okay, so now can I just gush about this thing for a moment?

Haruspex / Exocrine | Games Workshop

I don't really care if its some over priced, gimick that will still fall instantly to a GK Hammer.  I want this abomination of nature to be the spear head of my army!
Its also an elite choice meaning that if you want a godzilla list, its not competing with carnifexes, Trygons, or Tryannofexes.  For non zilla lists it will have to compete with all the other elites though which might be tricky.

I'm hoping with the inclusion of the Haruspex that a full assault nid list is viable again.

I'm excited.  What are your thoughts?

-----------Edit-----------

Just saw this from the harpy description, "It is a creature perfectly adapted to aerial combat, able to wrestle enemy aircraft out of the skies. "
Nice airplane.... om nom nom nom!
« Last Edit: January 4, 2014, 10:52:15 AM by Halollet »
One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside of his experience as being impossible.

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Pre-Orders are now out for Nids!
« Reply #1 on: January 4, 2014, 04:39:07 PM »
I'm reading this month's White Dwarf at the moment and I must admit to feeling a bit underwhelmed by the new sculpts. I have learnt though that it is best to wait until I see one in the flesh and painted by somebody other than Eavy Metal.

Hive Crone looks promising though.  The little bugs on it and the idea of a hive... I'm thinking its attack will make more nids.

I agree with you on this as I too like the look of the tentaclid missiles

New bioweapons: I saw that the hive guard got some sort of new gun.  It looks, really interesting I guess?  Looks like a gun with an implant attack or something.

It's called a shockcannon. Apparently they fire a spine of bone that then delivers a bio-electric shock.

Hive guard look very much like a shield which I think is okay.  They look like their purpose which is what nids are suppose to do.  Are those mini crushing claws?

I don't like these models. They make me think that the sculptor is a fan of Falling Skies.

Looks like the warriors now come with lashwhip and bone sword options which is good.  Prime looks very prime like.  I think I see a tail biomorph maybe?

Yeah, set comes with enough Lash whips & Boneswords to equip all 3 models.
Don't know if the Primes tail is a biomorph. The White Dwarf just says that the optional tail claw is an echo of one found in the Hive Tyrant kit. It is supposed to point out that the Prime is second only in might to a Tyrant.

I'm hoping with the inclusion of the Haruspex that a full assault nid list is viable again.

I really don't like the Haruspex model. Too much of a Chaos influence.

Just saw this from the harpy description, "It is a creature perfectly adapted to aerial combat, able to wrestle enemy aircraft out of the skies. "

Are you sure it was the Harpy description? In the White Dwarf it says that it is the Hive Crone purpose to destroy enemy aircraft in a fatal embrace of jagged thorax spurs and razor-sharp talons.
« Last Edit: January 4, 2014, 04:40:30 PM by Alienscar »
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Locarno

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Could I interest you in a small bribe?
« Reply #2 on: January 5, 2014, 10:00:31 AM »
Haruspex - very interested because it looks awesome and is apparently an elite - the box is in the elites section but the exocrine is heavy support, so the Haruspex (aka tentacle bento monster) must be elite. Since I currently have neither fast attack or elites, I love the release! Sign me up for the tyranid spooky gunship!

Tervigon appears to be more expensive given the battle report, but "scuttling swarm" is still in there, and term agents are now even cheaper. More gribblies! !!!!!

Love the look of the new tyrant guard, and fascinated that the new warriors rules seem to allow a brood to mix weapons. This will allow for much cooler and more characterful kill-teams.

The only big surprise is that genestealers seem unchanged. Not even cheaper (when the grunts are).
Stories to read....
Songs of Earth
The Will to Survive Series

Tervigon Army List:
Games Played: 35
Termagants expended for the Hive Mind: ~2685

Offline Halollet

• My halo grew a mullet...
  • Armies: Grey Knights, Guard, Sisters, Tau, & Tyranids
« Reply #3 on: January 5, 2014, 03:05:42 PM »

The only big surprise is that genestealers seem unchanged. Not even cheaper (when the grunts are).

Genestealers are the same price?  Any idea if they got any different rules?  I got over 60 of the things, I hope that I can use some of them!
One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside of his experience as being impossible.

Offline GaleRazorwind

• Hormagaunt
  • Ziltoid Lives!
  • Armies: Nids, BA, CSM
« Reply #4 on: January 5, 2014, 04:02:23 PM »
So, I've taken a close look at some of the prerelease materials and I've found some interesting things.

Boneswords got a pretty substantial nerf. AP3 with 6 to wound causing instant death. This is shown on an image for the preorder of the eBook edition: The Black Library - Codex: Tyranids (eBook Edition)

Also in that image, they seem to be making it so that having two sets of TCCW gives bonus attacks.

In another image on the page, they show the profile for Hormagaunts. Note the reduced point cost per model but increased cost for Toxin Sacs. If you take both upgrades, they end up being the same cost.

In the White Dwarf, you can see some of the new psychic power cards. They are hard to read, but Dominion is the primaris and gives basically the same effect as now. Psychic Scream is a 6" nova with a slight boost to its current damage output. Finally, Warp Blast/Lance have been returned to a single power got a small nerf. It is a 2 WC power and Lance is now only AP2.

This isn't rumors or speculation, it is clearly presented info on the GW website and publications. These seem kind of frustrating at first, but I'll try to withhold my judgment until I have the book in hand and see how all of this fits into the greater context of the codex.
Ziltoid is so omniscient, if there were to be two omnisciences, he would be both!

Offline Master Bio-Titan BT

• Armies: Chaos Marines and Tyranids
« Reply #5 on: January 6, 2014, 07:41:29 PM »
If any of you know me well enough on here, I always convert my models to be able to field them as either variant to get the most of my money.  I have studied the GW pics of the Haruspex/Exocrine model and it looks like it should be an easy straight forward conversion, this excites me.  The Harpy/Crone looks like it might be a challenge as it has different tails, heads, guns, and of course the little bugs under the wings.

2008 CSM Poster of the Year

My CSM Conversions & Tutorials (Updated 12-22-12) 

My Tyranid Conversions & Tutorials  (Updated 12-23-12)