News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Necron Force  (Read 3022 times)

Offline Bluew

• Necron and Space Wolf Collector!
Necron Force
« on: February 19, 2017, 10:42:49 PM »
Necron Force

I'm a basic painter that doesn't like to get too adventurous so don't be too critical!

Wraiths

Lord with Warscythe

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
Re: Necron Force
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 05:03:31 AM »
I wouldn't say you are that basic!
Really love the clean look that you have given your models. A lot of the Necron armies I have seen always seem to go for a dirty look (Well they have been underground thousands of years!) but to see someone painting them very clean really looks good.
I love the Warscythe on your Lord, you've done a great job on the colouring there.
I'd love to see some more of your army!
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 07:21:50 AM »
I think these guys look freaking awesome! Totally classic... I love your painting style. I try to keep things basic and simple myself. I think these paint jobs look fantastic. Nothing to be critical about... clean, consistent with great looking details. Couldn't ask for more! Actually I could ask for more... more pictures!  ;D
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 07:24:39 AM »
I agree with that sentiment. Very crisp and clean. I really like the work you've done on you bases too. Once you're feeling confident enough with your painting, it will be very easy to step up these paint jobs with some glowing effects, although it's really not necessary, as they already look great.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 08:36:40 AM »
Blues, I think your do yourself a disservice. Your painting is excellent and I absolutely love the finish that you have achieved on these Necrons. The silvers are excellent, as are the golds. The green details are so neat and smooth. Just really brilliant work.

How did you do the Scythe? Was it dry Brushing? Air brush? Blending? Whatever t is, it looks stunning.

Great work!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Bluew

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 03:31:59 PM »
Kind words guys. Thank you very much.

Blues, I think your do yourself a disservice. Your painting is excellent and I absolutely love the finish that you have achieved on these Necrons. The silvers are excellent, as are the golds. The green details are so neat and smooth. Just really brilliant work.

How did you do the Scythe? Was it dry Brushing? Air brush? Blending? Whatever t is, it looks stunning.

Great work!

Hey Looshkin, thanks for the kind words. The Scythe was done in dark angels green, then I applied nuln oil in several coats to darken it up to almost a black-green. I then started with snot green and medium, pulling the colour from the edge of the areas I wanted it focused in toward the dinner side of the blade, this was then covered with scorpion green closer to the edge to really build the color. It's subtle, but I definitely like it. Sometimes airbrush glow can be too intense.

Post Merge: February 20, 2017, 04:16:56 PM
In the future, please use the modify button. Double posting is against the forum rules, and for that reason, the system merged your posts.

The key to a nice green is snot green base coat, camoshade wash and then several very very thin layers of bright green. The last layer almost water, that's how thin it is so that it just glosses over and has seamless edges like a brush never even touched it. Like a drop of water hit it, expanded and covered it like glass. Then I hit it with a gloss varnish, like the orb for example and that makes it look almost like glass.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 04:16:56 PM by Bluew »

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 05:12:21 PM »
Thanks Bluew. I haven't tried 'dragging' colours using Lahmian medium as a means of blending, but I think I'll have to look into it more and give it a go. The effect that you have achieved is simply tremendous.

Offline Bluew

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2017, 05:47:28 PM »
Immortals with gauss cannons. Really basic as they are part of my infantry choice.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 07:00:40 AM »
Looking killer man. Love the nice clean paint job and the simple glow effect. Very, very nice and super clean. Love the basing too... all around excellent job. My only suggestion would be a little edge highlighting on the "rings" of the gun barrell... a little Moot Green to give an even more glowy effect. Not needed by any means but might add some extra pop and depth to the glow. Anyway fantastic stuff... no extra work required by any means... these models look great. Can't wait for more, thanks for sharing!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 11:09:13 AM »
Really basic as they are part of my infantry choice.

I'm a basic painter that doesn't like to get too adventurous so don't be too critical!

You want basic have a look at my avatar.

Your painting is bloody beautiful. So clean and simple but at the same time complicated. I can't get over how much the models look like they are actually made out of metal rather than painted. The sheen you have achieved on the metal is tremendous.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Bluew

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 02:10:50 PM »
Really basic as they are part of my infantry choice.

You want basic have a look at my avatar.

Your painting is bloody beautiful. So clean and simple but at the same time complicated. I can't get over how much the models look like they are actually made out of metal rather than painted. The sheen you have achieved on the metal is tremendous.

Add just a tiny bit of satin varnish to your metallic paints. It does wonders. :)

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #11 on: March 3, 2017, 05:25:27 PM »
Add just a tiny bit of satin varnish to your metallic paints. It does wonders. :)

Well considering how you think your painting is basic I am not sure if I believe it is that simple :)

Have you got a plan for your Necron's? That is, do you plan to game with them or build to a certain points value?
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"

Offline Bluew

« Reply #12 on: March 5, 2017, 03:09:23 PM »

Well considering how you think your painting is basic I am not sure if I believe it is that simple :)

Have you got a plan for your Necron's? That is, do you plan to game with them or build to a certain points value?

I'm aiming for about 1500 points with the inclusion of the Reclamation Legion and the Canoptek Harvest. I may also look at FW for some tomb stalkers!

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #13 on: March 5, 2017, 03:34:13 PM »
I hope you do decide to get the Tomb Stalker I remember the first time I saw one of those on this site and I was blown away by how awesome it looked. Have you worked with resin models before?

Offline Bluew

« Reply #14 on: March 5, 2017, 05:33:07 PM »
I hope you do decide to get the Tomb Stalker I remember the first time I saw one of those on this site and I was blown away by how awesome it looked. Have you worked with resin models before?

A couple of times. A lot of people really dislike it but I don't mind it. It bends nicely when heated for dynamic posing.

Tomb stalkers just look menacing as hell!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #15 on: March 6, 2017, 06:04:17 AM »
I'm really looking forward to seeing this project progress. If you paint the Tomb Stalker with as much skill and attention to detail as you have the rest of your models, I think it will be a striking centrepiece to what is becoming a very impressive army.

Keep up the good work Bluew!