News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Stripping plastic tanks?  (Read 1664 times)

Offline Woozie

Stripping plastic tanks?
« on: December 24, 2008, 05:39:06 PM »
I've got an old chimera which I want to update with a new paintjob, but I was wondering; does anyone know if it's possible to strip plastic tanks? And if so, how?

Thanks for your time.
The Imperial Guard: Winning Phyrric Victories since 25,000AD

Offline Balthraka

• Dracite
  • This is a lie
    • Betting on Monopoly
Re: Stripping plastic tanks?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2008, 12:05:19 AM »
Simple Green.
A great all purpose cleaning product.
You can find it most places you find cleaning products.

Search 'Simple Green' on the forum and you'll find a ton of threads about it.

-B
COME SEE THE BIG LIST OF CHAOS ARMY LISTS FOR SOME TRIED AND TESTED LISTS USED BY FORUM MEMBERS

Offline -Φ Ulfhedinn Φ- Servant of the Lord of Dark Delights

• Juggernaught of Fornication
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2008, 09:39:39 AM »
Metho also works ( and it's cheap  ;) )

Put it in an airtight container with a whole heap of metho ( enough to cover the model ) and put the lid on. You can leave it for a while but there is a quicker method if you want to go the distance.

Quick method :

Put the container ( with your models and metho ) in the sink and prepare some boiling water. Put something relatively heavy on the lid of the container and pour in the boiling water around it. The reaction inside will pretty much force the lid off

- So be careful -

Wait about 5 minutes and prepare some new metho and transfer the models into the 'colder' metho liquid. As the models/ metho cools it will force the metho into and under the paint. Leave for an hour or so then tackle them with a toothbrush. The paint slip off the model rather easily.

Make sure you wear gloves as metho can be pretty harsh depending on your skin ect.

Safety first !

( I listed this as an option for those people who don't live in the States and for those who don't have access to Simple Green )

-Ulfhedinn-
"The very touch of our god's breath overwhelms mortal senses with the scent of delight... the slightest purr of our god's voice is enough to stimulate the senses into eternal and blissful oblivion. To the followers of Slaanesh the mortal world is grey and insipid compared to the sensual paradise that is the master's affection."

Offline Jonik

• Field Marshal
  • Ancient
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2008, 10:57:30 AM »
Everytime I go past a cleaning ilse in a shop I look for simple green, and have yet to find some. I can say that metholated spirits (purple stuff, can even be bought from wilkinsons) do work, but you'll need to go as far as buying a 26p toothbrush from tesco ;)
Tolaren 23rd Grenadiers - Jonik's Imperial Guard 'Tale'
Chariots of the Dead - Jonik's Tomb Kings 'Tale'

My BfSP Dwarfs in exchange for your BfSP Goblins! PM me! I'm still looking!

Offline Balthraka

• Dracite
  • This is a lie
    • Betting on Monopoly
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 01:18:35 AM »
Everytime I go past a cleaning ilse in a shop I look for simple green, and have yet to find some. I can say that metholated spirits (purple stuff, can even be bought from wilkinsons) do work, but you'll need to go as far as buying a 26p toothbrush from tesco ;)

Well I'm in Aus and I managed to find it...
Do a few Google searches and you should be able to find a page with international distributors...

As for Metho...
Well I am pretty sure that that will destroy plastic... As far as I have always known Turpentine and Metholated Spirits melt plastic...

-B
COME SEE THE BIG LIST OF CHAOS ARMY LISTS FOR SOME TRIED AND TESTED LISTS USED BY FORUM MEMBERS

Offline Cpt. Banjo

• Lieutenant
  • I shot this one in the spine for questioning.
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 03:03:07 AM »
Metho also works ( and it's cheap  ;) )

Put it in an airtight container with a whole heap of metho ( enough to cover the model ) and put the lid on. You can leave it for a while but there is a quicker method if you want to go the distance.

Quick method :

Put the container ( with your models and metho ) in the sink and prepare some boiling water. Put something relatively heavy on the lid of the container and pour in the boiling water around it. The reaction inside will pretty much force the lid off

- So be careful -

Wait about 5 minutes and prepare some new metho and transfer the models into the 'colder' metho liquid. As the models/ metho cools it will force the metho into and under the paint. Leave for an hour or so then tackle them with a toothbrush. The paint slip off the model rather easily.

Make sure you wear gloves as metho can be pretty harsh depending on your skin ect.

Safety first !

( I listed this as an option for those people who don't live in the States and for those who don't have access to Simple Green )

-Ulfhedinn-

This is an excellent technique that I've never heard of before. Metho is great, but slow, and safe to use. I'm using models now, with no damage, that I let soak in metho for three days.

Just make sure that you use /metholated spirits/. I've made the mistake of using mineral turpentine in the past and transformed half a terminator squad (who were pre-AoBR) into a squishy, plastic mess.

It boned.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 03:05:20 AM by Cpt. Banjo »
...These dregs comprise the most vicious, ill-tempered and unstable group of psychopaths and killers in the Imperial Guard.

If you go HR Giger style let the gun come out of a Vagina like slit and tubes that look like alien penises, HR Giger put always lots of those drawings

Have you no form of decency Jehan?