News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: My 1850 Point Hunter Contingent of Horror and Doom and Lovecraftian Derpocalypse  (Read 5412 times)

Offline Ebon Star

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Exactly what the thread says.

This is the current list for the Tau Empire force located in this Project Log here. That Project Log is devoted to the construction, painting and modelling side of things (and perhaps the Fluff when I don't balls it up spectacularly and git good at Tau names). This is dedicated towards the list as a whole, and maybe some fluff.

The list is the product of a hard day slaving away in Army Builder. I have for eons now been trying to come up with a Tau List that didn't abuse Markerlights, stayed the hell away from Fish of Fury and most certainly was not yet another Tau Gunline. With the rise of the new Codex/Mont'Ka and Kauyon supplements, the end result was the sheer, horrifying derp presented before you.

I recommend setting your Heresy Shields to Maximum, because the Derp is coming hard and heavy.

Disclaimer: I will be posting up the list, fluff where relevant and fully planned out and my justifications for choices, since I am aware I took some weird stuff you don't normally see. Because I'm batamphetamine parrot insane. I will be representing the average That Guy's reaction to my choices while justifying them in Italics. This does not (I hope) represent any particular members of 40K Online (and is certainly not intended as such), and is meant more as a jab at people who feverantly believe that an army is worthless without these things (i.e: That Guy's and Meta/Powergamers). Anyway, moving on...

The List
[/size]

Hunter Cadre Detachment

X1 Tau Commander
-XV 86 Coldstar Battlesuit, Shield Generator and Stimulant Injector.

X1 Cadre Fireblade

X3 Tau Empire Breacher Teams
-Ten man Squads
-One member upgraded to Shas'ui
-One MV36 Guardian Drone
-One MV7 Marker Drone

X1 XV27-2 Stealth Suit Team
-Three Man Squad
-Shas'vre with Homing Beacon, Markerlight and Target Lock, Drone Controller and two MV7 Marker Drones
- Two Shas'ui with Advanced Targeting System

X3 MV7 Marker Drone Clutches
- Four Drones per Clutch

X1 TX7 Hammerhead Gunship
- Ion Cannon
- Longstrike, Devourer of Guardsmen!
- Disruption Pod and Sensor Spines

Retaliation Cadre

X1 Tau Commander

X3 Monat XV-8 Crisis Suits
-Flamer, Fusion Blaster and Shield Generator

X1 XV-88 Rare Endangered Sniperside
-Shas'vre
-Advanced Targeting System
-Plasma Rifles
-Seeker Missile

X1 XV-104 Cheesetide
-Twin Linked Plasma Rifles
-Ion Accelerator
-Stimulant Injector and Velocity Tracker

Final Total = 1848pts/1850pts

Justifications and Adjustments
[/size]

Anti Air
Flyers are everywhere, and you're not bringing any AA! I can just sweep you off the board on Turn 1 with my Vendetta Spam!

True, but if you look closely, asides the Cheesetide, the two Coldstars in theory can fight enemy fliers on their terms thanks to their Missile Pods. The Burst Cannon might be able to do something as well. Plus with their Shield Generators and Stimulant Injectors, the only way they'd get better saves is Signature Systems...which they can't take. Sadface.

Breach and Clear!
Breachers suck! They've got a piddly 15" range and die just as easy as Fire Warriors! Infact, yours die faster since you didn't buy any Devilfishes, herr da derp!

The Breacher Teams represent something new - short ranged combat. The idea behind the list was to get as close to the enemy as possible and then punish them. The Guardian Drones provide the squad with some survivability while Cover can take care of the rest. Furthermore, Breachers benefit more than Strike Teams from the "Ambushes and Feints" ability. Being able to Run and then fire their weapons is a huge boon to a normally short ranged squad.

Also, Devilfishes are Fish of Furry and little more than overpriced cardboard boxes. They're 80+pts I'd rather spend elsewhere.

Drone Clutches
You took Drones over Pathfinders? Lol, fail! They don't hit anywhere near as often and put out less Markerlights than my ten man unit of Pathfinders! My Mathhammer says so!

Actually, not so much. In many situations, Marker Drones can be more useful than Pathfinders. Since the army is constantly moving, a squad of Pathfinders would have much difficulty keeping up with the main force as moving for any reason makes them fire their Markerlights as Snap Shots. Drones on the other hand are relentless. This means regardless of what happens, the Drones always hit on a 5+. The only uncertainty I have with the Drones is if I should take three squads of four, or two squads of six.

Oh, and by the by - I despise Markerlights. I view Markerlights as a whole as dirty filth on par with Fish of Fury when the Tau first appeared. There are no words that can accurately describe how I feel about Markerlights, and how my list is essentially beslubbering amphetamine parrot without them. Which is incidentally, the sole reason I'm even toying with the Drones. If I had my way, those points would be spent on more Battlesuits. And maybe some Vespid.

Tactical Espionage Action: The Name of the Game
Stealth Suits? In this day and age? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Stealth Suits serve two purposes. First, they're there to act as a targeting beacon for the Retaliation Cadre. Second, they can lase things with Marker Drones. Third, precision shot Burst Cannons. Hilarious.

Ion Cannon Ready. Select Target
Ion Cannons? Over Railguns? Lol n00b.

Well this one largely came down to a simple pragmatic choice. I could either spend five points and give the Railgun Pie Plates...or I can upgrade to a woefully overlooked weapon that can throw down Battlecannon Shells or fire MEQ Death. When looking for versatility, swear by the Ion Cannon.

PAINIS JOKE!

Markerlightless List
[/size]

Hunter Cadre Detachment

X1 Tau Commander

X1 Cadre Fireblade

X2 Tau Empire Breacher Teams
-Ten man Squads
-One MV36 Guardian Drone

X2 Tau Empire Strike Teams
-Twelve man Squads
-One MV36 Guardian Drone

-Three Man Squad
-Shas'vre with Homing Beacon and Advanced Targeting System
-One Shas'ui with Advanced Targeting System
-One Shas'ui with Fusion Blaster and Target Lock

X1 Vespid Stingwing Squad
- 5 Man Unit
- Strain Leader

- Ion Cannon

Retaliation Cadre

X1 Tau Commander

-Shas'vre

X1 XV-104 Cheesetide
-Heavy Burst Dakka Dakka Cannon

Final Total = 1848pts/1850pts

Justifications and Adjustments
[/size]

Jammin' Slammin' Striker Squads
But you should be using only Strikers! The Tau have no other Troops!

Well Kroot beg to differ, but it does take a very particular player to use Kroot. Anyway, I want to experiment with more of a mixed arms approach, which is why I didn't fully drop the Breachers. Think of the Breachers as Strikers and the Strike Teams as Midfield. Sadly though, it came at great cost...

Buuugs!
VESPID SUUUCK!!!

As much as I like Pirahna's (the other non-Markerlight option), I didn't quite have the points. I'd like a bigger unit of Vespid, especially since GW *DID* buff these guys and I'd like to experiment with a woefully underused Unit.

DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA
No Ion Accelerator? Lol!

Yeah, this and the removal of some of the Broadside's gear (which was mostly filler points anyway) was the price of the rekaboodled Troops. Still, I *did* at least take the Stimulant Injector...?
« Last Edit: January 2, 2016, 05:15:10 PM by Ebon Star »

Offline Temperance

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Just curious, what's wrong with devilfish? Do you just not like spending the points on a transport? Is the use of them generally considered obnoxious by other players?

I just started this up and was thinking about using a bunch of mobile breacher teams, because they seem pretty fun compared to just sitting back and rapid firing. I don't want to make an "obnoxious" list unless I find out that those are the sort of lists I happen to be playing against though (totally fine using min/maxed lists, just don't really want to be the cause of their use and am happy to play with fluffy stuff if that's what it turns out everyone else is doing).

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
I can't quite post a full response just now, but three quick things I'll point out:

1) Coldstar suits can totally take signature systems. There is nothing in the rules that forbids it. Not sure how this idea caught on, frankly.

2) Breachers Teams without Devilfish are dead meat. They will *never* live long enough to make that 5" death window. Unless they stay close to the coldstars, the feints and ambushes power won't work and, additonally, the fireblade's power works only while stationary (I'm pretty sure, unless the new codex changed that), so I'm curious why he's included (he's 0-1 for the formation). Ditch him and take Strike Teams, preferably with rifles. You can still move, but you'll actually do damage before being assaulted and dying.

3) I'm with you on Marker Drones--much more preferable to Pathfinders. I think you have too many, though. Given their accuracy, you'll be shooting all of them at the same target anyway and pretty much nothing requires or needs 6 ML hits these days,  especially with coordinated firepower.

My .02

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
I don't think I'd take any of the commentary seriously, Temperance.

I faced some Breachers last night, and I assure you, that without their transport they would not have made it to my units. Ever.

I'm also a fan [If one can be a fan of markerlights being used against yourself...] of Drone-lights. Particularly with a Buffmander. All he needs is split fire, and he can apply offense elsewhere, if needed. Being mobile is critical to optimal Tau play, in my observations.

Two moderately sized units of Drones, aiming for 2-3 hits per volley is plenty to leverage a decent sized [1850 points, even] army. Combined fire is absolutely brutal, as it turns out.

Offline Ebon Star

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Just curious, what's wrong with devilfish? Do you just not like spending the points on a transport? Is the use of them generally considered obnoxious by other players?

I just started this up and was thinking about using a bunch of mobile breacher teams, because they seem pretty fun compared to just sitting back and rapid firing. I don't want to make an "obnoxious" list unless I find out that those are the sort of lists I happen to be playing against though (totally fine using min/maxed lists, just don't really want to be the cause of their use and am happy to play with fluffy stuff if that's what it turns out everyone else is doing).

A bit of both. It's 80pts for what is essentially a Metal Box with a glorified peashooter these days. And that's before you splash out on Upgrades. The thing that continues to put me off about Devilfishes is largely the cost.

A lot of this list is theory, but the Hunter Cadre works nicely with them. If they're not in range, a quick run can usually help with that. Followed by a charge into Melee if you're feeling brave and/or crazy enough.

I can't quite post a full response just now, but three quick things I'll point out:

1) Coldstar suits can totally take signature systems. There is nothing in the rules that forbids it. Not sure how this idea caught on, frankly.

2) Breachers Teams without Devilfish are dead meat. They will *never* live long enough to make that 5" death window. Unless they stay close to the coldstars, the feints and ambushes power won't work and, additonally, the fireblade's power works only while stationary (I'm pretty sure, unless the new codex changed that), so I'm curious why he's included (he's 0-1 for the formation). Ditch him and take Strike Teams, preferably with rifles. You can still move, but you'll actually do damage before being assaulted and dying.

3) I'm with you on Marker Drones--much more preferable to Pathfinders. I think you have too many, though. Given their accuracy, you'll be shooting all of them at the same target anyway and pretty much nothing requires or needs 6 ML hits these days,  especially with coordinated firepower.

1) It's due to the wording. When a Commander upgrades, rules as written say the suit can take two Support Systems and nothing else. Needs an Errata really.

2) The Fireblade is there for Ambushes and Feints (which he can give to them), not his usual power - which works better on Strike Teams anyhow. Furthermore I'm not sure that ability can affect the Breacher Team's Pulse Blasters. And TBH, I'm stuck with choices there - Strike Teams are too immobile and are open way too much to Gunline Tau, while Kroot...are Kroot. It takes a very particular player to work with them.

3) The idea is to light up multiple targets. Heck as I said, I'd even ditch the damned Drones since really, they are a tax. See the above for my opinions on Markerlights in general.

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin

1) It's due to the wording. When a Commander upgrades, rules as written say the suit can take two Support Systems and nothing else. Needs an Errata really.

Yeah, the wording doesn't say "anything else," which is why that interpretation is wrong.

2) The Fireblade is there for Ambushes and Feints (which he can give to them), not his usual power - which works better on Strike Teams anyhow. Furthermore I'm not sure that ability can affect the Breacher Team's Pulse Blasters. And TBH, I'm stuck with choices there - Strike Teams are too immobile and are open way too much to Gunline Tau, while Kroot...are Kroot. It takes a very particular player to work with them.

Ah--forgot the Fireblade did that, too. Makes some more sense now.

Strike Teams are *exactly* as mobile as Breachers Teams. Anything you were planning with them will work with Strike Teams. That invulnerable save barely counts for much, anyway.

3) The idea is to light up multiple targets. Heck as I said, I'd even ditch the damned Drones since really, they are a tax. See the above for my opinions on Markerlights in general.

Getting 1 ML hit on a unit isn't terribly useful in a world with Coordinated Firepower. You want 2 or 3, no more, no less. I can see running with zero MLs. I used to do that all the time in the old days and did fine, and that was without Coordinated Firepower, which is awesome.

Offline Ebon Star

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Ah--forgot the Fireblade did that, too. Makes some more sense now.

Strike Teams are *exactly* as mobile as Breachers Teams. Anything you were planning with them will work with Strike Teams. That invulnerable save barely counts for much, anyway.

Getting 1 ML hit on a unit isn't terribly useful in a world with Coordinated Firepower. You want 2 or 3, no more, no less. I can see running with zero MLs. I used to do that all the time in the old days and did fine, and that was without Coordinated Firepower, which is awesome.

So I've taken your Feedback, and put up a Markerlightless version of the list. It is indeed very much a first draft but still...Strike Teams.

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
Okay, now that I'm finally sitting in front of something with an actual keyboard, here's my take on the (now markerlightless) list in detail:

X1 Tau Commander

I have no opinion either way on the Coldstar, since I haven't seen one in action or had a chance to try one myself, so I have NO idea how useful they'd be. I do insist that Signature Systems are available to them (there is zero wording whatsoever that restricts their capacity to take them).

X1 Cadre Fireblade

Meh. Since you've got some strike teams, its very possible the guy will actually do something other than command troops to run. As you're taking Coldstars and no transports, that makes him essential.

X2 Tau Empire Breacher Teams
-Ten man Squads
-One MV36 Guardian Drone

Already mentioned above that I don't think they'll pay off here. The Guardian Drone is mostly worthless unless you plan on advancing your guys through the open, in which case they will die at a slightly less rapid pace. A Demon save ain't worth an extra point per guy, trust me.

X2 Tau Empire Strike Teams
-Twelve man Squads
-One MV36 Guardian Drone

Again, ditch the Guardian Drones--totally worthless investment.

-Three Man Squad
-Shas'vre with Homing Beacon and Advanced Targeting System
-One Shas'ui with Advanced Targeting System
-One Shas'ui with Fusion Blaster and Target Lock

I don't think the Advanced Targeting System is especially worth it unless you have a tendency to play against Orks or Guard a lot. The Fusion Blaster + Target Lock gives the unit some versatility, but it *also* makes them pretty lousy tank killers who will die immediately after attempting to kill a tank (and missing or rolling snake-eyes). Ditch. Keep the Burst Cannons.

At this point, I've saved you slightly over 60 points with stuff that, trust me, you will never miss.

X1 Vespid Stingwing Squad
- 5 Man Unit
- Strain Leader

I'm not really sure how you came to the conclusion that you didn't have the points for Piranha when this unit costs the same as two Piranha with Fusion Blasters (which would be vastly better than these guys). Also, given the points saved thus far, you can take a third Piranha and still have some left over.

If you really want to try out Vespid, though, see if you can scare up enough points for a second unit like this. Very possible if I can keep shaving points for you. Stay tuned. 

- Ion Cannon

I don't really think the DPod and Sensor Spines are must-have here. The Hammerhead is a sufficiently durable chassis with enough range to survive that first turn and then the enemy will have enough other problems that it will probably be left alone.

That said, if you're really sold on it, the DPod/S.Spines is an okay combo. I, as you're probably noting, am a real cheap-skate for Tau, though. I prefer more units over more toys every time.

Current savings is just over 80 points, by the way.

Ordinarily I'd say single Fusion Blasters are not really worth it, but since you've got three of them dropping on Turn 2 with a really, really high BS if they shoot at the same target (and they'd damned well better be), then this seems reasonable.

I *would* argue that Shield Generators are too expensive on monat suits. These guys are easily cut down by small arms fire, anyway, and the Jet Pack move means they *should* be able to score some (free) cover against any AP3 coming their way, should it be needed.

Instead of the Shield Gens, you could take an additional Fusion Blaster per suit, make them a really dangerous antitank unit, AND save a lot of points.

Current savings: just shy of 115 points. 

-Shas'vre

Because of that one time every three or four games when you'll roll a 6 when it matters? Ditch the ATS.

X1 XV-104 Cheesetide
-Heavy Burst Dakka Dakka Cannon

Not complaints from me, here. I like it.

Now, you're sitting on 117 points saved. I would argue that the gear I ditched to earn you this is worth far, far less than the kind of additional units those points could buy. That's another 5 Vespid + Strain Leader, for instance. That's a couple more Crisis Suits. That's very close to another 3 Stealths with Vre and Homing Beacon. That's 10 Kroot with Sniper Rounds and a Krootox. You could ditch the Vespid and  buy yourself 4 Piranha with Fusions.

You get the idea.
« Last Edit: January 1, 2016, 04:15:10 PM by Wyddr »

Offline Ebon Star

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Already mentioned above that I don't think they'll pay off here. The Guardian Drone is mostly worthless unless you plan on advancing your guys through the open, in which case they will die at a slightly less rapid pace. A Demon save ain't worth an extra point per guy, trust me.

Again, ditch the Guardian Drones--totally worthless investment.

As I'm informed, there's a lot of Ignores Cover going about at the moment. Even going back to 4th and 5th Edition, I learned quickly that if you have the chance to take an Invulnerable Save, you should take it. A 6+/5+ Invulnerable isn't great I admit, but it still gives them some defence with the increasing prevalence of Ignores Cover based Ordnance.

I don't think the Advanced Targeting System is especially worth it unless you have a tendency to play against Orks or Guard a lot. The Fusion Blaster + Target Lock gives the unit some versatility, but it *also* makes them pretty lousy tank killers who will die immediately after attempting to kill a tank (and missing or rolling snake-eyes). Ditch. Keep the Burst Cannons.

To be honest, the only reason I paid upfront for the Fusion Blaster was because I accidentally glued one onto the suits instead of a Burst Cannon. The question would also become what would I replace these with? A lot of the Upgrades outside of Shield Generators and Stimulant Injectors are extremely situational.

I'm not really sure how you came to the conclusion that you didn't have the points for Piranha when this unit costs the same as two Piranha with Fusion Blasters (which would be vastly better than these guys). Also, given the points saved thus far, you can take a third Piranha and still have some left over.

If you really want to try out Vespid, though, see if you can scare up enough points for a second unit like this. Very possible if I can keep shaving points for you. Stay tuned.

A single Piranha is 115pts before Upgrades. The Vespid are only 100pts right now.

EDIT - I ran some quick numbers though the Army Builder. This statement's actually rather incorrect and is the result of my Software feeding me misinformation.

I don't really think the DPod and Sensor Spines are must-have here. The Hammerhead is a sufficiently durable chassis with enough range to survive that first turn and then the enemy will have enough other problems that it will probably be left alone.

That said, if you're really sold on it, the DPod/S.Spines is an okay combo. I, as you're probably noting, am a real cheap-skate for Tau, though. I prefer more units over more toys every time.

Eh, I guess I can always drop those as well as the Fusion Blasters.

Ordinarily I'd say single Fusion Blasters are not really worth it, but since you've got three of them dropping on Turn 2 with a really, really high BS if they shoot at the same target (and they'd damned well better be), then this seems reasonable.

I *would* argue that Shield Generators are too expensive on monat suits. These guys are easily cut down by small arms fire, anyway, and the Jet Pack move means they *should* be able to score some (free) cover against any AP3 coming their way, should it be needed.

Instead of the Shield Gens, you could take an additional Fusion Blaster per suit, make them a really dangerous antitank unit, AND save a lot of points.

Again, like the Guardian Drones, it's there to make sure they can survive. The Shield Generator's big advantage over the Drone as well is the Drone is way too easy to be rid of.

Because of that one time every three or four games when you'll roll a 6 when it matters? Ditch the ATS.

5+ actually because Character. Typically I prefer Velocity Trackers on these things...but apparently, this is the only way to use Railsides these days  :(
« Last Edit: January 1, 2016, 05:31:38 PM by Ebon Star »

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
I really promise you that those Guardian Drone will do almost nothing to keep your Firewarriors alive. Anybody who wants them dead will kill them. Save the points to buy more targets to distract your enemies from bothering until it's too late.

EDIT:

Also,

5+ actually because Character. Typically I prefer Velocity Trackers on these things...but apparently, this is the only way to use Railsides these days

Characters don't get a bonus to the Precision Shots rule. At least nowhere in the rules I can find, anyway. You might be confusing this with some of the Eldar special rules to this effect, which obviously don't apply to Tau.

I also missed the Shas'vre upgrade the first time through. Totally drop that. Completely unhelpful in all ways.

Did the math a bit wrong on the point savings, too. Thought the ATS was a *bit* more expensive than it is, so it works out to only 111 points of savings. Of course, this goes up to over 120 if you don't pay for a Shas'vre upgrade, which you never should. 
« Last Edit: January 1, 2016, 08:57:07 PM by Wyddr »

Offline Ebon Star

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
I really promise you that those Guardian Drone will do almost nothing to keep your Firewarriors alive. Anybody who wants them dead will kill them. Save the points to buy more targets to distract your enemies from bothering until it's too late.

I think we have plenty of bodies on the floor already, however I'll put my argument across in a couple of stories.

Firstly, a few years back there was a guy at my local GW who for a game played Space Wolves. The game itself was something of a Space Wolves + Space Wolves Vs Space Wolves type of deal, but that's beside the point. Anyway, he took a Wolf Lord on a Thunder Wolf with Runic Armor, a pair of Wolf Claws...and left a Belt of Russ at home. 20pts could have saved him a lot of hassle. Instead, while he did make it into combat, he was torn up in the space of about a turn by a unit of Wolf Guard (I think, this is a story from a few years ago).

Perhaps more recently, there was an large Imperium Vs Orks event going on at my FLGS last January. I built up roughly around 1000pts in the space of a month (which is impressive on my shoestring budget). I had no idea I would be facing a 5000pts force, even with someone to help.

But I digress. Anyway, I had a Battlewagon carrying a unit of Nobs and a Warboss. Unfortunately, they didn't last too long thanks to a Deep Striking Wolf Guard Terminators unit and a Vindicator, which one shotted the entire group. The hilarious part was that this was with the 6th Edition Orks codex...y'know, the one that changed Cybork Body from being a 5+ Invulnerable to a 6+ Feel No Pain. Had it been the former, a couple of them might have walked away from the Vindicator and done something. You should have seen my opponent's face when I had to explain the whole change to Cybork Body.

In less story time, if I removed all the Drones, well...it would be maybe 20pts to buy the Railside a Velocity Tracker and then roughly 30-50pts sitting there doing nothing.

Characters don't get a bonus to the Precision Shots rule. At least nowhere in the rules I can find, anyway. You might be confusing this with some of the Eldar special rules to this effect, which obviously don't apply to Tau.

I also missed the Shas'vre upgrade the first time through. Totally drop that. Completely unhelpful in all ways.

Did the math a bit wrong on the point savings, too. Thought the ATS was a *bit* more expensive than it is, so it works out to only 111 points of savings. Of course, this goes up to over 120 if you don't pay for a Shas'vre upgrade, which you never should.

It's not. It's exclusive to the Advanced Targeting System. My book is last edition, but since GW's way of promoting the book was the fact they barely changed a thing, I'm going to refer you to the rules in that book

Thus the two work together. While it's not great against ICs due to Look Out, Sir!, it can be used to pick off Special Weapons and other threatening targets with a minimum of fuss.

Still, as can be implied above, I usually prefer Velocity Trackers on any Broadsides. This high strength, low AP, weapons can puncture a Stormraven rather easily - and with 7E changes, it's even more likely that Stormraven explode in mid-air. But no, apparently I'm supposed to use the Missile Pods now since that's the only way Broadsides are Viable.

...If it's not already implied above, I beslubbering hate Metagames.

Excessive rules description and stats removed in accordance with forum rule 1.  Note that we do allow detailed discussion of rules, including quotes from sources, when there is disagreement/confusion/debate between members about the rules, but we haven't reached that stage yet ;) - Iris.
« Last Edit: January 2, 2016, 05:16:54 AM by Irisado »

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
It would seem to me if you're using Breacher Teams and Hunter Cades and Coordinated Firepower, then you should use the rules from the new book. I'll leave that between you and your own group, however. You should at least make it clear to them that you're doing that.

As for 5++ saves--I play daemons, so I know how they can pay off sometimes. I'm just saying another 120 point unit will pay off more often than all of that stuff I suggested your drop.

Anyway, good luck with the list!

Offline Ebon Star

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
It would seem to me if you're using Breacher Teams and Hunter Cades and Coordinated Firepower, then you should use the rules from the new book. I'll leave that between you and your own group, however. You should at least make it clear to them that you're doing that.

Well, my software still uses the same rules, so I'm assuming it's the same rules.

As for 5++ saves--I play daemons, so I know how they can pay off sometimes. I'm just saying another 120 point unit will pay off more often than all of that stuff I suggested your drop.

Anyway, good luck with the list!

Knowing me and list building, we'd be debating this back and forth but ultimately keeping the Drones around is going to be down to some field testing against another player. If they are as useless as you say, it's most likely they'll be dropped.

That or thanks to your advice that a Markerlightless list can work, I might just go full Farsight like I always wanted to do.

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
Oh, yeah--full Farsight can totally work. It's harder to do than the standard Tau list (just like Markerlightless is harder), but you can do it.

I typically take only 4-6 Markerlights in a list (just enough to deny cover to something that needs it). I find it a happy medium. If they die, it's usually not such a big deal.

Offline Ebon Star

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Oh, yeah--full Farsight can totally work. It's harder to do than the standard Tau list (just like Markerlightless is harder), but you can do it.

I typically take only 4-6 Markerlights in a list (just enough to deny cover to something that needs it). I find it a happy medium. If they die, it's usually not such a big deal.

Based on feedback and stuff I wanted to do, I've put up such a Farsight list above. And before anyone asks, I went with the Hunter Cadre since it's the only place Farsight gets access to new toys like the Ghostkeel (which I want to try out) and because while taking a Retaliation Cadre as Core sounds nice on paper, in practice it weighs over to being impractical without some very heavy point dumping.

That and you have to account for it automatically entering play Turn 2.

EDIT - If it looks a bit iffier than usual, this is a first draft.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
Mate, just as an FYI, rather than edit the first post with iterations just add the list into the thread like a reply. That way people notice the changes and don't miss out on what you're doing.

After Mont'ka Farsight is really growing on me and I was already a fan of the Eight.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Ebon Star

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Mate, just as an FYI, rather than edit the first post with iterations just add the list into the thread like a reply. That way people notice the changes and don't miss out on what you're doing.

After Mont'ka Farsight is really growing on me and I was already a fan of the Eight.

As you say. Here's the reshuffled (MK 1) of the list:

The List - Farsight Edition
[/size]

Hunter Cadre Detachment

X1 Tau Commander
-Flamer
-Twin Linked Fusion Blasters
-Shield Generator
-Fusion Blades

X1 Bodyguard Squad
-Two with Twin Linked Fusion Blasters and Shield Generators

X3 Fire Warrior Strike Teams