News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!  (Read 63311 times)

Offline Saim-Dann

Re: Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!
« Reply #240 on: April 15, 2017, 09:08:33 AM »
Why does blood sound exciting when you mention it with your models?

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #241 on: April 16, 2017, 11:44:59 AM »
Haha ;) you'd fit right in in Commorragh ;)
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #242 on: April 19, 2017, 05:51:58 PM »
So Ynneadwraith, what did you do this evening? Did you paint your new exodite Banshees? Did you paint your new Talos? Did you paint anything at all?

Of course not. Don't be silly...

Morrathillian has become Morrathillienn ;)

Morrathillienn of the House of Ulthanash, Reaper of the Outer Dark, Prince of the Khaine's Ravens.

I've been growing a little dissatisfied with my Corsair Prince model for a little while now. You only get one Corsair Prince, and the whole concept of an Eldar that's managed to forge a minor empire outside of the protection of a Craftworld or Commorragh is just an opportunity to make a really characterful model :)

I'd been content to leave it on the back burner until I saw this stunning model of an INQ28 Shipmaster finally sparked some inspiration :)

Looking at that model it struck me just how...Kabalite...Gr eyfax's torso looks. Plus, I finally had something to do with the Yvraine bits I had from the Triumvirate :) add in some Scourge wings, a Wrack pilot arm (nice and psyker-y, and also with enhanced musculature to explain S4) and a whole lot of cutting and reposing and hey presto!

There's a couple of little things I've noticed I need to touch up from these pics. First is the little skull on her collar needs to become a soulstone, and I've been wondering about adding Greyfax's skull pauldron thing...

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #243 on: April 20, 2017, 06:54:22 AM »
Looking good Ynnead! I've been waiting forever to properly convert up my Corsair Prince. I've got the bits... I just need to get another squad of Jetbikes... plus the Farseer bike which I'm gonna modify just a tad for him.

But this dude is looking really cool. Now get to painting!  ;D ;D ;D
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #244 on: April 20, 2017, 11:08:38 AM »
Whoa Ynneadraith that is seriously awesome. It is unbelievable considering that you have used Greyfax that there isn't even a hint of the Imperial about the finished model

and a whole lot of cutting and reposing and hey presto!

Looking at the pose you have achieved did you cut and repose Greyfax's legs?

and I've been wondering about adding Greyfax's skull pauldron thing...

Obviously you are better at converting than I am but I wouldn't like to see you add Greyfax's pauldron as I think it looks to big and heavy for the aesthetic of your model. 
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #245 on: April 20, 2017, 05:44:51 PM »
Have no idea what I'm looking at but that is a nice piece. Not knowing any of your Eldar races, Ynneadwraith, it looks store bought. Very professional.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #246 on: April 20, 2017, 05:57:42 PM »
That Corsair is stunning. I would never have guessed that the torso came from Greyfax! I also applaud your use of that mini...because I pretty much hate the Greyfax model! There's a lot of ingenuity on display here Ynnead and once again you have achieved a result that I would find impossible if I tried.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #247 on: April 20, 2017, 06:19:47 PM »
looks great and nice to see the imperial stuff sales well for Eldar. I've been eyeing of the Vigilator Squad for some heavily armoured exodites.

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #248 on: April 20, 2017, 08:07:36 PM »
Thanks a million guys!

@Alienscar I was helped by the fact that minus the hat, Inquisition logos and boltgun thing she doesn't look particularly Imperial at all ;) same with Celestine actually, although I have different plans for her when she arrives ;)

Yeah the legs are reposed. Her left leg has a little sliver cut off the top at an angle so it sits pointed a little further forwards. The right leg is cut at the knee, then with a fairly sizeable wedge cut out of her thigh to make it bent at the knee and then stuck precariously just around the edge where it meets the edge of the torso and the tabard. Took quite a bit of holding in place while it stuck that!

I did spot your comment about the pauldron looking a bit bulky before I stuck it on so I've slimmed it down a bit. I do think something needs to go there though. You can't really see it in the pics but her shoulder's a little indented/cut off to make space for the pauldron and it'd look a little iffy when painted, like she's missing half her shoulder. I'll grab a pic and post it up to see what you think :)

@Saim-Dann Thanks that's high praise indeed! I love it when stuff I cobble together ends up looking like it could be a kit :) I thoroughly recommend looking up Forgeworld's Eldar Corsairs. They're a really fun little army so I gather :)

@Looshkin You and me both! It's the hat and crossbow thing that ruins it for me. I get that it's a fun little witch-hunter trope throwback, which is fine enough and neat when it's done, but I just think it looks silly. Still, the rest of the model is really solid. She's a head and a weapon swap away from looking really damn cool :)

Oh, and I find a glass of vino does wonders for the ingenuity thing ;) I read a study in New Scientist that found that people were statistically better at creative problem solving after a small alcoholic drink ;) that's my excuse at least...

@Magenb Yeah those Sisters of Silence models look really really DEldar-like. Just stick pointy ears on them and they'd fit right in :) looking forwards to what you come up with for them :)

@Cavalier Ooh nice :) I've really liked your previous corsair HQs so definitely looking forward to this one :)

Yes sir! Will do ;)

However, sometimes you just get an idea that will burn its way out of your brain one way or another, so it's best to get it out straight away. But, as I've barely picked up a brush recently it got painted straight away so I'm still good ;)

@Everyone I've been slightly dissatisfied with my Ynnari Autarch Idravain. I like the model, but it doesn't quite live up to the creepiness potential for Ynnari. So, I had another go at him...

In his wraithbone palace, the dead god waits dreaming - Khalfhirin, Prophet of Ynnead

Idravain thought back on the muddled centuries of his life. Way back when he was first alive, he recalled having been born amidst the terrible 500-year descent as Altansar was inexorably pulled into the depths of the Eye. His early life was a desperate and futile struggle against the colossal psychic gravity well was dragging them under. Mere moments after they were submerged, the assault began. Valiantly they fought, but the craftworld was swiftly reduced to lifelessness. Idravain had died there, among his kin. Aimlessly, the hulk drifted through that warped and twisted realm, and for millennia nothing stirred on the dead craftworld.

With bleary eyes, Idravain had woken. Unsteadily, he had pulled himself to his feet. Many of his kin had already risen. Approaching them he finally saw the horror of their visages. They may have been walking confused as living Eldar would, but they looked like revenants. Their mortal wounds had been restitched, but incompletely. Limbs were functional, but bones exposed themselves through torn flesh and pallid skin. It was only through the dreaming of their seers that they discovered what had occurred.

The nascent God of Death had cast a thinning veil over the craftworld, resurrecting its fallen people. However, as yet unborn her powers were incomplete. The Altansari were resurrected in soul, but not in body. In this risen state, they cowered behind the veil for centuries, or perhaps millennia, it was hard to tell. Time ebbs and flows like tides in the warp. They cowered there until their salvation came. Maugan Ra, son of Altansar, struck deep into the Eye and found his people. Blazing with soulfire, he led them back to the materium.

Until the birth of Ynnead, Idravain had cowered still. Like the rest of his kin, he feared greatly how the still-living Eldar would react to their condition. Now though, he wore his condition as a mark of pride. Many times he had fallen as he fought for Yvraine. Each time he had risen again. Each time a little less living. He saw these defects as a blessing from Ynnead, a clear sign of her favour. He bore them with honour, for all to see. He was chosen by Ynnead, and would fight until his purpose, whatever that might be, was complete.

The Eldar are a people for whom symbolism is not merely important, but an inescapable fact of life. Yvraine, first of her kind, Emissary of Ynnead, was accompanied on her quest at every step by the mighty Visarch. As the Ynnari set out to spread their faith among the stars, many cells found themselves gravitating to a similar model of prophet and guardian.

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #249 on: April 20, 2017, 09:17:31 PM »
Creepy individual. Wow with the freehand. Did you scratch build the banner? Another amazing piece that will go well with the rest of your unique forces.   

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #250 on: April 21, 2017, 07:56:43 AM »
Thanks man! The banner's actually part of the kabalite warriors kit :) i must admit scratch-building isn't something i've ventured into much so far...

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #251 on: April 21, 2017, 08:19:52 AM »
... So far is the key, but you knew that with the...

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #252 on: April 21, 2017, 08:42:42 AM »
I'll grab a pic and post it up to see what you think :)

I look forward to seeing it and being proven wrong. I bet it will look brilliant.

In his wraithbone palace, the dead god waits dreaming - Khalfhirin, Prophet of Ynnead

(Image removed from quote.)

What bits have you used for this conversion Ynneadwraith? As usual I don't recognise anything but the overall look is very zombie (revenant) like and its creepy look is helped by your paint work.

On the subject of bits used has the left arm been made from two different arms stuck together? I ask because in the picture the arm looks slightly elongated and I can't decided if it is just the perspective of the photo fooling my eye or if it is actually a bit long.

Valiantly they fought, but the craftworld was swiftly reduced to lifelessness. Idravain had died there, among his kin.

Another bit of excellent fluff writing Ynneadwraith this is quite melancholy compared to the rest of your stuff but good none then less. 
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #253 on: April 21, 2017, 12:57:43 PM »
His legs are pretty standard Dire Avenger. His body is from the Tree Revenant kit as they've sort of got chunks out of them already to let them fit into the shell of the tree part so they already look like they're missing bits (plus, they look a little more built than standard Eldar). I added a couple of ribs to the body cut from various branches and that was that. The head is Spite Revenant with one half carved into a skull with a drawing pin :)

The arm that looks a little long is actually a stock Harlequin piece. I suspect it looks too long because the body of the pistol is too similar in colour to the glove. I'll sort that by adding some more ushabti bone to the pistol as it's meant to look bone colour. Thanks for pointing that out :) his right arm is actually pieced together from a Spite Revenant upper arm and the forearm of an Autarch :)

I'm glad you like the fluff :) it is a little more melancholy that the previous stuff, but I feel that sort of fits with Altansar. They've had it pretty rough! Plus, Idravain's still out kicking ass after it all, even if he looks a little worse for wear ;)

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #254 on: April 23, 2017, 06:35:34 PM »
What bits have you used for this conversion Ynneadwraith?
Its kind of like a Frankenstein pop quiz :)

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #255 on: April 26, 2017, 11:03:17 AM »
I had meant to get some painting done last night, but I had a bit of inspiration for something I've wanted to do for a while :) back in January I made my first Croneworld Eldar pleasure cultist, which I did rather like.

However, in the light of my exodites getting a little...stranger.. .since then, I thought that the warped playthings of Slaanesh should by all rights be just as strange. So, here's my first attempts (counts-as Heralds of Slaanesh with Etherblades).

Ylris sprinted across the battlefield in great leaps and bounds, ribbons billowing gracefully behind her. Desperately, she fought to keep her death-dance pitch-perfect. Every leap and footfall the very epitome of acrobatic grace. She could feel the eyes of the Prince of Perfection as a great pressure on the back of her soul, scrutinising her every move for a hint of anything out of place. On her next landing, she clipped a stone and stumbled. "No!" she screamed. A scream cut short as her soul was wrenched from her frame and returned to its eternal torment, her lifeless body slumping to the floor. Around her, her kin continued their dance unflinching, utterly absorbed in their own survival. Elsewhere, another fallen warrior rose to its feet, home to another long-dead soul plucked from the aether. Perhaps this plaything would do better, an infintessimal fraction of the vast rumbling thought processes of Slaanesh mused. This was a frightfully entertaining game!

Such is the life of a Croneworld Cultist. Cursed by their forebears, who in their arrogance thought they could birth a God in their image. Little did they know the soul-child of their race had far more sordid ambitions. They live a fraught existence as playthings for She-Who-Thirsts, yet still they endure. These cursed creatures. Desperate to avoid her attentions, and equally desperate to please her, their lives are utterly at the mercy of the most fickle of Gods.

A little refresher on the background :)

I've thought a reasonable amount about Chaos Eldar, coming to the conclusion that the idea of 'Eldar that just decided to worship Chaos' and 'Eldar who were corrupted by Chaos' don't quite cut the mustard fluff-wise to me. However, I'm of the opinion that you can do whatever it is you please with bending 40k fluff so long as you have a good enough reason for it, and twisted chaotic Eldar is too good of an opportunity to pass up.

I quite like the idea of Eldar who dedicated themselves to another Chaos God to try and get their protection from Slaanesh. That's got just the right nuance of desperation to it for me to like it as a piece of fluff. I can just imagine a desperate Corsair or Outcast coming to the end of their life selling their soul to one of the other gods in a desperate (and probably futile) bid to avoid being devoured. Furthermore, I can imagine one of the other Gods flaunting the fact they own an Eldar soul, demonstrating that victory over Slaanesh. It's definitely something I want to explore in the future, but for these guys I had another idea :)

My other idea is that Slaanesh strikes me as the sort of entity that plays with her food. Contained within her, she has billions upon billions of Eldar souls which i expect she could resurrect and toy with as she pleases, in any form she wished, before consuming them again. These Eldar wouldn't truly be alive in the conventional manner, but also wouldn't be like resurrected phantoms. As the Eldar soul retains consciousness after death, they'd not only remember who they were, but they'd also remember the centuries upon centuries of torture within the belly of Slaanesh. I imagine them as somewhat like conscious living Eldar whose souls are bound to the whims of Slaanesh.

I'd imagine the figureheads of the pleasure cults would revel in this existence, and be looked upon favourably (Favoured Playthings I've called them). For the rest of the population caught up in the cataclysm their souls would be stuck in perpetual torture, and being resurrected as a plaything would be a desperate window in the endless torment. Also, with billions of potential souls to choose from you can bet that Slaanesh would pick up on anything that displeases her, no matter how small, and replace you with another potential candidate. So, you'd get a society constructed of Eldar desperate to please Slaanesh in any way possible borne of a desperate self-centred desire to avoid being returned to torment. They're normal Eldar, reduced to committing horrific acts by the trap they find themselves in. One of my favourite types of villain :) plus, there's tons of potential for things like Learned Helplessness and Stockholm Syndrome to make interesting characters with :)

The other thing I'm excited about is the modelling opportunities :)

One of my all-time favourite GW models is this old-school Vampire Lord. It's just a fantastic sculpt:

So, I thought I'd have a go myself with my second Favoured Plaything/Herald.

What do you reckon? I'm dead chuffed if I do say so myself :) here are the two together:

These two combined have also given me some ideas for some themes to carry through to the rest of my Croneworlders. Judging by the Keeper of Secrets model, Slaanesh seems to have a fondness for extra arms. My DEldar Covens Wych Cult also has a bit of a multiple-arms theme going on, which fits the 'Slaanesh is a reflection of the Eldar consciousness' thing, but means that I need to mix things up a little for the Croneworlders. The vampire lord guy is what gave me the answer with his odd arms. As a rule, people tend to find symmetry pleasing, and asymmetry slightly odd (or downright jarring when it comes to the human form). So, I think one of the themes I'm going to carry through the rest of my Croneworlders is them having 3 arms to hit the warped odd look of Chaos :)

More to come!

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #256 on: April 26, 2017, 11:51:00 AM »
As a fan of both Eldar and the Batman, they look amazing. Again, I don't know from what armies the separate parts are from. So they both look like GW designs to me. Where does the the wing come from? What are the original models supposed to look like? THIS is why your now PoC, Ynneadwraith. Hats off, mate! Hats off! 

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #257 on: April 26, 2017, 01:19:26 PM »
Thanks dude! As far as I'm concerned 'they look like GW models' is the highest compliment there is :) thanks!

The female plaything uses a lot of parts from the (massively overpriced) Witch Elf kit which is a great kit but costs an eye-watering £35 from GW :S bits shops are your friend for these guys. Her body, legs and both sets of arms are Witch Elf, although I've used two sets of legs to extend hers and make them digitigrade, and the upper pair of arms are cut up a little to bring them together, and the weapons cut down to nubs to make the handle for the etherblade. The head and the sword blade is from the fantastic Spite Revenant kit (which probably features in about 50% of everything I've ever made!).

The male plaything has Dire Avenger legs, Spite Revenant torso, head and right arm, and the wing is from a Dark Eldar Scourge. Oh, and the rock he's standing on is from the extra set of Witch Elf legs I chopped up for the female plaything :)

Alas I'm blanking on the acronym 'PoC' :S working for the healthcare service all I can think about is 'Package of Care'! ;)

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #258 on: April 26, 2017, 01:25:48 PM »
For details of the Eldar Path of Command (PoC), please look here.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #259 on: April 26, 2017, 01:36:05 PM »
Aha thanks! I'm honoured! :)