News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + World Eaters  (Read 330636 times)

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
Re: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + Campaign Projects
« Reply #720 on: May 2, 2016, 05:27:20 AM »
My first thought when I saw the army lists before I even got to the report was that the Chaos army list was very poor, and I was proved right.  I also couldn't believe some of the manoeuvres he tried to execute.  Cultists assaulting the Wraithlord being the nadir of poor tactics.  The chances of tarpitting it were very low and if they were beaten and fled, a likely outcome, that would just make them flamer fodder in the subsequent turn.  Your opponent can complain about the Chaos codex all he wants, but it's misplaced because there are still some reasonably strong builds that can be made from it, especially with Plague Marines.

His attitude is one which I've seen before, in that he was playing in such a way to prove his own argument.  I really dislike that sort of attitude.  When I think about the number of games where I've battled through right to the end, even though I've been losing horribly.  Still, I think that the most disappointing aspect of it all was that he gave the prospective new player who'd come along a very negative introduction to the game, and I would have been very irritated with him about that.

Putting all that aside, you played very well, executed your plan in a very clinical manner and exploited his indifferent army list and poor tactics.  It's always great to see pictures of your army in full flow too :).

It's a shame that we couldn't all live closer, because then I could bring my few Thousand Sons along, ally them with Vonny's Thousand Sons army, and we could have a clash of really hard to win with Chaos against your Eldar.  It would be fun :).  Alas, geography is going to defeat us on that one.

I hope that you have some more enjoyable games coming up soon to banish this one from you mind as quickly as possible :).
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #721 on: May 2, 2016, 07:34:02 AM »
@Auric- Thanks bud. Yep you are definitley right, you are always gonna run into guys with bad attitude regardless of the geography (and not just when you are playing 40k! lol) . Its really not the end of the world. Its a little bit of an overreaction on my part to be honest. Thanks for the kind words though I really do appreciate it.

@Vonny- Thanks Vonny. You know I really was struggling with whether to say something or not. I wasn't sure if the guy was just gonna pop off. I didn't want to make a miserable, inconsulate situation into a volatile one but if I picked the right time, I perhaps could have made things better. When I think back on it, *I* was in a bad mood too, I was mad about the guy's attitude and that probably didn't help either.

However that is awesome about your house mates! 3 Housemates who play 40k? I'm so freaking jealous. That sounds like an awesome scenario too. Actually one of the REALLY awesome guys that I play with, he, his wife and I played 2v1 and it was great fun. You and your friends attitude is the perfect attitude really. Just have fun and enjoy the little moments. Even when I'm getting trashed I still go for glory and try to undersand what I did wrong. Anyway I'm really glad you and your house mates are playing 40k together thats really fantastic. I will say that my brother and I are currently in the process of overhauling the entire house to make a gaming room (pics will come when we are finished) and we've got some great things planned.

Anyway thanks Vonny I appreciate it!

@Magenb- You are right Magenb. Being a noob does create for shock and awe. Also I can tell that a lot of these new players read a LOT of stuff on the Internet (probably Bell of Lost Souls) and are probably mired in negativity, and just trying to emulate what they perceive the culture of 40k to be. I think my view point of "Hey you are a rookie! Keep quiet and work hard!" is a little unrealistic considering these guys are not really youngsters.

But yes you are right, the Wraithlord did get another good go-round which was very enjoyable and interesting!

@Irisado- Thank you as always Irisado. Always intersting insight from you. Glad you could see where I was coming from on this one. But I have to say wow... you nailed it to the dang wall.

His attitude is one which I've seen before, in that he was playing in such a way to prove his own argument.

That is exactly what was happening! I was getting more and more irritated by some of his moves and I was like "Why is he doing this?" I literally told him "If you shoot my Spiders they are gonna warp away and you'll lose your shooting." He did it anyway (with another target in range) and I couldn't see why. But after reading what you said, that is exactly what he was doing! Brilliant stuff Irisado. I wouldn't have thought of that myself.

Thanks for the compliments on my play. Even when I'm winning by a large margin I try to execute my game plan as well as I can and also challenge myself to learn in-game with units which are hard to use. It was great to continue to learn with my Scorpions (they work great with the Spiders), the Wraithlord and even the Foot Avengers who I'm liking more and more (even though they didn't do anything). 

About getting a chance to play together, it would be awesome! That big dang ocean is unfortunately in the way. Hopefully I'll be able to go overseas and maybe get a chance to play a game with some of you guys. That'd be incredible! Actually me and Ibushi may get a chance to play sometime this Christmas. At least thats a start! Anyway thanks Irisado I really do appreciate your feedback, its always appreciated.

@Everybody- Hey guys, I just want you all to know that I felt bad dumping negativity onto the forum. Just because I've gotten to know you guys a bit, doesn't mean I'll casually dump my frustrations out. I'll always keep it real, but trust me this project log is meant to get people pumped to play and paint not go all BoLS on you. Anyway guys thanks so much for the kind words its really appreciated.

I've got some AWESOME stuff incoming this week. My brothers done some really great work that I'm gonna highlight and I've got a bunch of new stuff to show off too.

Also! My final game in the Escalation League is incoming... and its gonna be great. I'm playing against a fully painted Harlequin themed Dark Eldar Army! This guy is a young blood but he's a great kid and a very very good painter. Also... my first Apocalypse game is also looming, and a campaign is in the works with my friend Amar! Wow the 40k train isn't slowing down anytime soon. So stay tuned, there is a ton more to come and thanks again guys!

Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
  • Armies: Tyranids, Lamenters (BA), Eldar (Iyanden), 1k Sons
« Reply #722 on: May 2, 2016, 11:29:46 AM »
Don't feel bad for venting, Cav. I think sometimes you just need to get something off your chest, and the amount of positive feedback you got from the forum kind of gets me pumped as well. I agree with you, Irisado hit the nail on the head: not only is it likely your opponent got his attitude from online communities (like bols or 4chan), he also played in such a way as to prove his own defeatist attitude, and brought a new gamer along to impress this negative image at. And he did this not over the course of the game, but also the 5 days beforehand...

That's not fun, and the fact that all of us see and understand that, and have our own more positive tales or heartfelt advice to share, it gets me pumped to do 40k and talk about it on this forum, because this forum is awesome.
check out my Iyanden painting blog.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #723 on: May 2, 2016, 07:53:55 PM »
Don't feel bad at all, I've seen many like that in the 23+ years ive played. Had a game a few weeks ago, necrons vs my IK/skitarii list. His dice rolls were bad, so bad that he threw them across the room. That's when any fun went out the room. The next week we did the same and his dice were better, he wrecked mine bad but it was fun any way. He apologized for the week before and thanked me for playing with him again. Hope that doesn't happen again for ya.

"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
« Reply #724 on: May 3, 2016, 05:04:19 AM »
What you've written was not a case of bringing negativity to the forum, it was a case of writing up what happened and how he behaved.  You couldn't very well have glossed over that, as it was a crucial part of explaining his tactics and his overall approach to the game.

Something which could have been interesting is that you could have volunteered to field his own army against him, and I suspect you'd have done a lot better with it than he did.  That would have stopped him from complaining.  I'm not advocating a rematch with him though.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Ibushi

• Coming to a croneworld near you
  • Armies: PEW PEW spinny death
« Reply #725 on: May 3, 2016, 12:16:40 PM »
Haha I really like the idea of swapping armies and going from there, although I suspect that would remove his pride of being a victim and therefore be unattractive. It is something I've suggested to my friends many times, but so far no luck.

Anyway, it's not like CSM is a lose-button or an automatic excuse to play Whine-hammer; Chaos Space Marines just won the Broadside Bash GT using the new Sorceror Cabal formation, and that was a 64-person event with the hardest lists and players out there. There is also a guy in my area who absolutely terrorizes us with CSM allied to Renegades of Vraks, aka Zombies plus artillery. Man that stuff is vicious, and people are terrified of facing his lists!

If people want to just have tabletop success, they can play Super Friends deathstars or honestly just scatpack Eldar for point-and-click oblivion. Those armies are the masters of the middle tables, absolutely no equivocation about that. Once people have graduated to strategy and tactics, then they can pick up the freaky stuff like Scorpions, Wraithlords, Land Raiders, Terminators, maybe even Sororitas or Dark Eldar! No, just kidding, only play those two if you are in love with their aesthetic.

Sorry you've had to face some moody players Cav, it happens to the best of us. If it's any consolation -- if Trump wins and you have to move to Canada, the players up here are pretty much way nicer.

Is there one more game for the League, or was that the final punchout? Looking forward to whatever is next in store!
Check out my PLOG! Croneworld Koxinga Rises

Wet Coast GT 2015 Best Overall
TSHFT 08-15 3rd Place, Best Eldar
Guardian Cup 8.5 Best General
Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall
Tanksgiving 2015 Best Overall

Samurai Eldar, Coming to a Croneworld Near You.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #726 on: May 3, 2016, 02:50:41 PM »
@Vonny- Hey Vonny thanks. Glad I didn't put you guys off. I just respect all of your time and input and don't want to sour things with needless venting. Yes you are right on all counts, and yes this forum is awesome!

@Dread- Thanks Dread. Thats cool that your opponent apologized. Everyone gets a bit of gamer rage from time to time (myself most certainly included). Hopefully this guy's attitude improves cause he seemed like a nice guy week 1 of the league.

@Irisado- Thanks Irisado. You are right on the money again. It was a part of the game and was influencing play. I hadn't thought of it that way before. Despite the exeedingly challenging list he put together I think I could of at least made a match of our game with his list. I brought a ton of LOS blocking terrain on the table which he could have hunkered down behind until the Helldrake came in and gone after the bikes. Could have kept his missile launcher Havocs out of 36" range as well. Heheh, its funny just thinking about it has really got the wheels turning in my head! lol Anyway thanks Irisado I appreciate your insight as always.

@Ibushi- Hey bro. Yes the victim mentality extends even to 40k! Come on people get those competitive juices flowing and be a champion! Yes I just got through listening to Signals from the Frontline and what a tourney! Whoooo that Sorcerors Cabal sounds evil! Also yes the artillery beast which Renegades of Vraks sounds incredible! That campaign is actually insanely awesome as well. BTW did you see that Lawerence from Tabletop Tactics won that GT in Gibraltar with his Dark Eldar? Super impressive stuff. He's a nasty player with a nasty army. Tons of Venoms, Reavers and Blasters... which I always recommend to my DE brethren but no one listened.

Also yes 1 more match! Harlequin themed DE! Its gonna be blast. Its a youngblood and he's a great painter. Can't wait to get some pics! Anyway thanks bud!

@Everybody- Thanks for all your great comments guys, its really appreciated! However it time to turn from that unhappy situation to something far more entertaining. Hobby Progress!

So to begin with... I've finally jumped into the deep end... with CHECKERS! The black and white checkers were featured heavily in the new artwork featured for DA in the new Heresy books and I decided to embrace the challenge and go for it! Wow was I surprised how easy it is! This has decided the fact that I will get a box of the new Harlies sometime soon and incopororate them into my army. Anyway check out my first Astartes!

Check out those FW shoulder pads... looking good!

Also the Barons are finished! Just glossed their gems and flocked their bases. I actually used one of these guys as a Seer in last weeks game. You can actually see one in some of the pics.

Last but not least the Necron Tomb Spider is also finished!

The Plan Moving Forward: So for those of you wondering what the plan is going forward,  Its pretty simple really FINISH my Seer Council and get the Necrons and Dark Angels up to 750pts so I can start doing more bat-reps (preferably filmed bat-reps too). I'm going to go all out to accomplish that in the next few months. I'm also going to be adding a new Forgeworld piece to my Eldar. Either another Warp Hunter or Skathatch Wraithknight... If I go with a second Wraithknight I'm going to push the modelling to a new level with ultra scenic base and some conversion work to do a unique pose. Any input is appreciated. Anyway guys thanks for stopping by. Hope you like the new models... as always stay tuned there's a lot more to come soon!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Ibushi

« Reply #727 on: May 3, 2016, 07:50:56 PM »
Really like those Barons! Initially I thought they were a bit bland, but the more I look at them the more I really like them -- sufficiently distinguished from the bikers to be Baron-level or warlocks, but not too flashy or blinged up to compete with your autarch or make the eye too busy. A classic, quality Cavalier job!

Love chequers, looking forward to seeing a lot more of the black&white! I had some fantastic fun doing it on a couple of models, but you have to be focused and on the ball, as once you make one mistake it goes wonky really fast in my experience. I have one or two less than stellar renditions lying around.

That plan sounds pretty good! How many more models in the Seer council? 750pts for both DA and Necrons is no joke, good luck and looking forward to seeing those. Any sneak peek at the army lists? For a FW Eldar model, I would have gone with Warp Hunter, but all that talk about super duper posing and scenery just screams Skathach, so my vote is for that. Definitely not so many modeling options for a hunter..

Would you be getting the Inferno or Deathshroud or both? I'm super keen to see what the Deathshroud looks like on a non-FW model. Actually I would suggest going ahead and buying the Deathshroud cannons and seeing if you can magnetize for the wraithcannons, as you can barely tell the difference between the infernos and wraithcannons anyway hah.

Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #728 on: May 3, 2016, 08:03:33 PM »
Tomb spider looks great. I have 3 that 2 still need painting. The red wreckage really makes the scarabs pop, love them. The angels look perfect. And the bikers, conversions look fantastic as always. Im getting some more bikes after my renegades purchase and bits will be used, hopefully to your caliber. Ah, just perfect.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #729 on: May 4, 2016, 07:17:21 AM »
@Ibushi- Thanks bud. Yeah I was worried that they wouldn't stand out enough too, but then after I had them alongside the Autarch I was happy. I tried various bit configurations with cloaks and stuff but it ended up covering up too much of the model, or stealing from the Autarch's glory. I'm going to do a couple of different things with the remaining Barons/Warlocks going forward like different spears, MAYBE a headswap or two just to mix it up a bit. But overall I'm very happy with how they look as a unit more than anything. Some of my older Dire Avengers squads which features tons of different bits and poses look great as individual pieces, but as a squad they look wonky and disorganized. Avoiding that and achieving a streamlined look for the unit is always my preference.

Glad you dig the checkers too! I wan't able to nail it on the first attempt, but a little clean up work and it came out fine. I try to add a new technique to my painting skills everytime I embark on a big new project and doing free hand heraldry and whatnot is the new one.

As for a list.... I'll let you in on just a bit because I want to surprise you guys when you see the models. The core of the list is going to include 3 full sized Tacticals, 2 units of Black Knights, and Thunder Hammer Terminators in a Raven from C:SM. What I want to prove is the ability to take out high end units like Wraithknights, Warp Spiders etc and what not with old school Assault Terminators. I've had it done to me and it shocked the daylights out of me despite seeing Scorpion82 do it about a thousand times. Their are also going to be some weird choices thrown in there as well but I want to surprise you guys!

As for Warp Hunter vs. Wraithknight... currently I agree the Warp Hunter seems more useful. I could run a Windrider Host, Aspect Host with a Vaul's Fist detachment and that'd be the damn business! Yet the Wraithknight is really calling to me... it'd be a great change-up to throw into games. I actually already have my current Wraithknight magnetized, and would definitely magnetize the next one too. From what I've read the Inferno Knight seems to be the man. It seems almost better than the Wraithcannons due to volume of fire. But I was first attracted to the Nightshroud, just imagining him tearing up Necron infantry hordes with those beastly cannons. What do you think Ibushi Shroud or Inferno?

Anyways thanks for your great input and questions Ibushi. You always get my brain going!

@Dread- Thanks buddy. I'm DYING to get these Necrons up and running. They seem like the PERFECT army to practice against. My brother is eager to play them which will make getting those practice games really good. Also I want to run Imperial Armor: 12 Fall of Orpheus and pick up the Necron terrain and whatnot which will the centerpiece of my 3rd board. As it is our first board (wasteland) is finished, the urban board (which my brother is assembling more pieces for every weekend) is almost finished. I figure pick up some pylons and even one of the big temple pieces put that on the wasteland mat and it'd look great.

Thanks for your compliments on the bikes. Really happy with how they came out and I'm dying to finish the squad. I've got the bits all picked out for the Prince and Farseers which'll be modeled up next. Anyway thanks bro.

@Everybody- Well guys gotta put my nose to the grindstone and knock out some commission work this week. I know Irisado and Vonny play Thousand Sons so I'll feature some pics from the interesting 3rd party minis for the army I'm currently doing for Frontline Gaming. Anyway guys stay tuned and thanks as always for your thoughtful feedback. You guys are the best!

Offline Lachdonin

• Warlock
  • Education is no substitute for Intelligence.
« Reply #730 on: May 5, 2016, 01:05:42 AM »
Love the Pre-Heresy Dark Angels. And the Corsairs, as usual.

I myself tried some of the finer patterning not too long ago (not a checkered pattern, but rather the diamonds on Harlequins) and also found it surprisingly easy. I was expecting a nightmare, but particularly on relatively uniform areas (rather than folded fabric) all it took was a steady hand and some patience. I'm glad to hear i'm not the only one who was pleasantly surprised at how achievable the technique is.
Remember, you can make yourself a Hero, but only others can make you a God.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #731 on: May 5, 2016, 07:05:37 AM »
@Lachdonin- Hey man thanks for stopping by. Glad you like the new Dark Angels. I've been waiting such a long time to start this army. Yes the checkers are WAY easier to do than I thought. Its really encouraged me, I can't wait to get some Harlequins and really go to town. Anyway thanks for the comments man, its very much appreciated.

Offline Ibushi

« Reply #732 on: May 6, 2016, 01:05:39 PM »
Sounds great!

Oh man Deathshroud is the freakin' business! With the new GW FAQ indicating that templates hit ALL LEVELS and ALL MODELS under them, that is a massive smack in the face when you are toting 2x Hellstorms with Shred. Also don't forget the massive blast that boy can launch out to 48"!

If you're magnetizing, I would definitely just buy the Deathshrouds and magnetize the Wraithcannons -- looking at the FW Inferno lances I literally can barely tell the difference...

From a game perspective, the Inferno lances are really good too, for sure, but I find the Deathshroud cannons to be a much more interesting and enjoyable weapon, plus it makes the WK's role confused, which is great for target priority. Say your opponent has a Deathstar or Imperial Knight -- an Inferno WK is OBVIOUSLY the single largest threat, so he will focus you like a crazy person. If you have Deathshroud WK, he needs to deal with the WK, but something else is the bigger threat at range, which makes target priorities very complicated. Just some thoughts. This worked wonders for me out in Victoria, so I'm definitely liking the loadout is all I'm sayin'  ;D

Looking forward to more checkered tacticals! Is there a rationale behind the checkering, like Veteran status, or achievements, or just aesthetic? Also spot on regarding creating a streamlined "unit" look -- I am terrible at that! Still get stuck in the shiny model phase and end up with obnoxious unit look. Hopefully my  paintjob will help, wait till you see my Ghostdancers and Malevolents.

Cheers

Attack-X Best Overall
WGWB 2015 Best Overall

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #733 on: May 6, 2016, 01:38:56 PM »
@Ibushi- Hey bud thanks for the great post. Insightful as ever... very interesting about the Deathshroud. I definitely love the WK in an anti-infantry role due to stomps and the like and Shrouds sort of play to that. Also I forgot about the 48" massive blast... phenomenal when you think about it. Still sort of torn... but I think I will just magnetize and perhaps start with the Shrouds as the Inferno/Wraithcannons play fairly similarly.

Yes get a squad visually coherent can be very tough. Can't wait to see your Ghost Walkers and Malevolents. I know how much you love them and I totally psyked to check them out. Give us pics!

As for the checkers on the Dark Angels it was something featured in the new DA art from the latest Heresy book. The explanation they gave was that the Dark Angels since they were the first Space Marines and fought alongside the Emperor from the very beginning drew upon Pre-Imperial Terran Iconography for their heraldry. I think thats the reason they don't use roman numerals and what have you... but also it plays to their more Knightly disposition blending in with the concept of The Order on Caliban.

As you can see I'm a bit of a nut for DA lore. I actually don't really care for the sort of Gav Thorpe, Hunt for the Fallen type stuff... I find it to be WAY over played. I like it as a shadowy secret that plays into their lore, not the sum and total of it. Really enthused to see what direction the FW guys take it... the icongraphy and paint schemes which they only just touched upon in the latest book is highly exciting and its something I'm going to embrace whole heartedly... as well as including some Rogue Trader elements (like the red stripes on the helmets). Anyway thanks for your great post Ibushi always fascinating stuff that gets my brain going. Thanks!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #734 on: May 14, 2016, 09:01:51 AM »
Whats up battle-bros? Just popping in to make a little basing tutorial for my fellow Corsair Magenb. He was trying to pick up some basic basing tips, but could only find basing instruction for large scenic bases... so I thought I'd show I did mine. By no means am I exceptional at basing (my brother, Vonny and others are far better) but they look pretty good.

So lets dive in! For fun I thought I'd just show you guys what my painting station looks like when I get down to it. It may look cluttered, but in fact I set things up the exact same way and put everything in the exact same spot every single time. I've got a little tray for all the minis I'm working on, an old cutting board to do my actual work. The basic paints I'm using are taken out for easy access before work begins while my hobby tools are placed behind them. And of course the all important laptop streaming radio and podcast and my coffee are present as well!

So on to the actual tutorial! So I want to rebase my Dark Vengeance dudes on to the new big bases for the Marines. Starting the chief Librarian for my 3rd Company Dark Angels.

These are the materials I'm using for the base. I'm using sand and cork chunks (for rocks). I really recommend using cork chunks for rocks regardless if you are using sand or classic green flock. It breaks up the base a bit creating interesting areas for that'll catch people's eyes. It also gives a rough and rugged luck to your guys. This technique can be used for any type of base, whether it be grass or sand. The cork chunks are $5 and the sand which comes in a huge bag from a Home Depot is like $10 both will last your for over a year or more.

Using pliers I cut him off his base, then dip his feet in a bright paint to mark where he is going to go on his new base.

If your model is already glued to the base you can obviously skip that step. I then put a little glue on my cutting board, and using an old crappy brush, apply the glue. You don't need to go too thick either as it can over saturate your basing material.

Then put the biggest chunkiest basing bits down first.

Then I put the base in a little cup with sand (you can do the same with grass flock) shake it around to get the sand on there.

I then clean off the extra sand that got on the painted part with an old brush... take the base outside and prime it. Pop the guy on and just dry brush it!

I also added a little static grass just for fun.

If you are doing grass instead of sand you just change the order around a bit... Don't add the grass until after you prime the base and figure. So just put the chunky cork bits on there, prime the guy, then paint the base and afterwards add the grass flock. Its super easy and looks pretty good.

Anyway hope that helps for anyone learning to get the hang of the basics. Let me know if it was helpful or if you have any questions.

@Everybody- Well guys I'll be back with a bat-rep tomorrow or the next day, and also some monstrous hobby progress. I've got some really neat looking models I want to share with you guys. Anyway stay-tuned guys I'll be back soon!

« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 09:12:08 AM by Cavalier »

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #735 on: May 16, 2016, 02:37:53 PM »
ESCALATION LEAGUE GAME #4

Hey guys back with the last report in the Escalation League series. This time I was playing against a youngblood DE player. He's a great hobbyist and a great kid. We talked a lot of shop before during and after the game as his army is struggling and he's looking to improve. It was really awesome being able to talk to a fellow Eldar player (CWE, DE, Harlies and Corsairs are all one family faction as far as I'm concerned) and this was a really enjoyable game and a great way to close out the league.

So lets dive into it. My opponent hadn't won a game in the league yet, so I decided it was certainly well past time to take the foot off the accelerator in terms of list building. So with my 250pts I increased the squad number on the Spiders, added another unit of foot Avengers and a unit of Rangers. This was a good chance to see what these units can do, and get a little experience with them before giving them a go in future games. All in all I felt good about their inclusion and they certainly did well in this game as you will see. With that said lets dive into lists.

Dark Eldar 1750pts

Archon- Shadowfield, Agonizer
True Born x5- Blasters
    Venom- Dual Cannons
Warriors x5- Blaster
    Venom- Dual Cannons
Warriors x5- Blaster
    Venom- Dual Cannons
Warriors x5- Blaster
    Venom- Dual Cannons
Reavers x6- Cluster Caltrops x2
Scourges x5- Haywire x4
Scourges x5- Haywire x4
Talos x1- Splinter cannons
Talos x2- Splinter cannons
Talos x2- Splinter cannons

Eldar 1750pts

Autarch- Bike, Lance, Banshee Mask, Fusion Gun
Farseer- Bike
Striking Scorpions x10- Exarch, Claw
Dire Avengers x10
Dire Avengers x10
Rangers x5
Jetbikes x3- Scatter Lasers x3
Warp Spiders x5
Hornets x2- Pulse Lasers x4
Nightwing
Warp Hunter
Wraithlord

Deployment and Missions- We rolled Vanguard Deployment, Emperor's Will (2 objectives one in each DZ), Hold the Center (of the board), and Seize Ground (have more units in your opponents DZ than he has in yours for extra VP's). I made sure to bring lots of LOS blocking terrain given the firepower of my army and it benefited us both. My opponent rolled to deploy first and go first and deployed his Talos in a line as far forward as possible with Venoms deployed in support left, center and right. His Scourges elected to come in out of Reserves in an attempt to get my Hornets who he knew would be Outflanking. Meanwhile his Reavers were deployed centrally and out of LOS well positioned to go after my arm no matter which way I attempted to shift. So good positioning on his part right out of the gate.

I castled up with Avengers and Rangers in a ruin nearest his Talos. A unit of bikes tucked in behind them. Then in my far right corner I hid my other 2 units of Jetbikes with the Autarch and Farseer split up amongst them. In support were my Scorpions. There was an open little area between ruins... where I hoped to draw his forces and spring the Scorpion trap.

I elected not to seize the initiative and with that we began the game.

Turn 1

Dark Eldar- The Dark Eldar were aggressive right from the get-go. All 3 Venoms pulled within range and unloaded. Due to my deployment he couldn't focus on a single unit and went after the Scorpions, Rangers and Jetbikes. The Scorpions lose a man while the Rangers went untouched. Unfortunatle two of my Jetbikes get popped but the remaining biker passes morale. The Talos all moved and ran up, while the Reavers moved and turbo-boosted very close to me but well and truly out of LOS from multiple angles. Right off the bat he was applying a lot of pressure, and positioned himself well so that he wouldn't have to jink most of his units, relying instead upon the ample 4+ cover offered by the rocky outcroppings. Well played first turn for the DE.

Eldar- Well I was certainly feeling some first turn pressure. All the Venoms and the twin-linked Splintercannons from the Taloi were now in range. My left flank was certainly being threatened but the Reavers (who were out of LOS but ready to pounce) and the Venom on the right flank were also a problem. So I diverted to whole bike squads to taking out the Venom on the right and they failed! Only one HP taken. Unbelievable! Then I had my other bike squad go after the Venom on the left and they failed! The Rangers made up for it by taking 2 wounds off a lone Talos but still... Oof! This could get interesting.

Turn 2

Dark Eldar- So the Dark Eldar throttled up the aggression. The Reavers move with 8 inches of my line (gulp!) right near the Warp Spiders, Avengers and Rangers. The Venoms close the gap and a unit of Haywire Scourges come in out of reserves. 2 Venoms unload 24 shots into my Wraithlord and down he goes for 1st blood! The last remaining Venoms targets the Scorpions and does nothing and the Talos go after the Avengers but despite around 24 shots I only lose one! Then after some careful deliberating between going after the Avengers (who are 8" distance) and the Spiders (who are 10" distance) the Reavers go after the Spiders and FAIL their charge. Phew! I got lucky there. That could have been very bad as I was certainly counting on the Spiders to help clear out those Talos when they got near enough. I got lucky that turn and my dice got hot.

Eldar- Time to punch back. The Dark Kin were really hemming me in and I couldn't count on good dice to bail me out again. First thing I do is detach the Autarch to try and deal with the Reavers. This is an important point, I could have chosen to attach him to the Scorpions (who are about to move out as well) but I elect not to... so as not to lose Move Through Cover on the Scorpions. Then the Scorpions spring the trap and leap out of the ruins on an excellent move roll and go hurtling towards the Reavers to shore up my lines. The Hornets, the Warp Hunter and Nightwing also come on. Then the Jetbikes on the right flank down one of the Venoms stranding the True Born with Blasters mid-field. Then the Nightwing takes fire at another Venom but fails to take it out. My Bikes on the right also fail to take out the Harlequin themed Venom which took out the Wraithlord in the previous turn. My Hornets pump a few shots into the Talos, yet they survive taking only a few wound. The Warp Hunter also whiffs completely Arghh! The dice are a bit crappy during the shooting phase. Yet they get hot in the assault phase. The Autarch makes the charge and kills two Reavers with his Lance (first kills for my new Autarch pretty nifty) then the Scorpions come wheeling in and finish them off. Consolidation rolls are made... and my Autarch doesn't roll high enough to get out of LOS. Uh-oh.

Turn 3

Dark Eldar- The Dark Kin waste no time and go after the Autarch. The True Born stranded after their Venom was downed by the Jetbikes do their grisly work and finish off my Autarch. Ouch that one hurt. The Spiders also get nipped losing 2 of their number when they are unable to Flickerjump completley out of LOS. Meanwhile the Scourges come in out of reserves and strip a hull point off a Hornet and force them to jink. Other than that the Talos continue to crawl forward but that remains it. Certainly a good turn but critically, almost the whole of my army is intact with my heavy hitters all but untouched. Time to punch back yet again, hopefully the dice will heat up!

Eldar- With his army all well within range my Eldar fan out and turn up the heat. My extra unit of Avengers arrive, and they with their brother unit both move out to fire on the Talos and rack up a few wounds killing one out right (creating a unit of just one pain engine) then battle focus out of LOS. The Spiders and a unit of Jetbikes move out to take on the Harlequin themed Venom on the right and shred the vehicle reducing a lot of pressure on my right flank. Meanwhile on my left, The Hornets pull back, while the 2nd full strength unit of Jetbikes led by my Farseer and the unit reduced to a single bike go after the Scourges. A combination of snapshots from the Hornets, Scatter Laser fire from the lone biker and Mind War is all it takes to remove them. Then the Seer led squad of bikes turbo boost past a bunch of mid-field terrain to get access firing lanes on my opponents long table edge and support my Nightwing. Last but not least the Scorpions move out to avenge their fallen Autarch and shred the True Born in combat. Very nice. A good turn for the Eldar and the DE begin to crumble.

Turn 4

Dark Eldar- Last push for the Dark Kin. The lone Talos unit move towards the Scorpions unleashes fire upon them killing two of them. The Scourges snapfire and get a HP on my Nightwing yet everything else is drastically out of range and thats it for the DE. So in comes the Talos... yet the Scorpion Exarch has higher initiative. Yet his toughness mitigates the strength of the Scorpions Claw by a good deal requiring very good rolls... which I get! The Exarch fells the Talos before he lands a blow... wow the Legend of the Scorpions continues to grow!!! Legendary.....

Eldar- Time to drive the knife into their collective hearts! The Lions of Asuryan swoop in for the kill with the Spiders removing a cluster of warriors near the wreckage of the Harlie Venom, the Warp Hunter finally does something and removes a unit of True Born. The Bikes remove out to grab Line Breaker and Seize Ground points, while one squad of Avengers hold my Emperor's will, while the other goes to grab the Hold the Center objective. Meanwhile... the Scorpions move out again and eliminate another unit of warriors. WHAT CHAMPIONS!

Wrap-Up

We ended up playing 5 turns but it was a formality really after Turn 4. This was nevertheless a very fun game. My opponent played very well and we both had fun. Their were some good moments for both of us and despite my opponent losing in a very bad matchup, he still inflicted more casualties then anyone else in the league! It was a great way to close things out... a casual game with lots of banter, laughs and some great moments. Anyway guys hope you enjoyed the league. We've got a campaign and an Apocalypse game inbound which should be great. All in all the League was great fun and a very positive experience. Anyway stay tuned I've got a big update for you guys with lots of hobby progress. Thanks for stopping by and happy wargaming!

Offline vonny

• I *LOVE* 40k OFFline!
  • Armies: Tyranids, Lamenters (BA), Eldar (Iyanden), 1k Sons
« Reply #736 on: May 16, 2016, 06:22:13 PM »
good to hear you have such a positive experience after your last game
check out my Iyanden painting blog.

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #737 on: May 16, 2016, 06:37:11 PM »
That was much better than your last game.  Two well painted and dynamic looking armies fighting on a superb playing surface, and you had a lot more pressure on you in this game.

I think that you both played well, and it was just that the Dark Eldar attack ended arriving in too much of a piecemeal fashion that cost your opponent.  That was mainly because you managed to neutralise some of those transports, so even though your shooting was indifferent early on, you still managed to neutralise some key units.

Fantastic work from the Striking Scorpions again resulted in a convincing margin of victory in the end, but I also think that the Wraithlord played an important role.  Absorbing 24 shots in that first turn helped to keep other more critical units intact.

Thanks for the report :).

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #738 on: May 16, 2016, 10:48:23 PM »
That seemed like a pretty fun game. That was very sportsmanlike for you to tone your game down a bit and I'm sure it made the game more enjoyable for both parties. Your opponent's colour scheme was certainly unique for a dark eldar army. I'd be really interested to see if he carries that over for his entire army. Great report as always!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #739 on: May 17, 2016, 01:54:56 PM »
@Vonny- Thanks Vonny. Yes a very positive experience to be sure. It really took me back to 2nd edition days when I first got into the game. While my store was great, I didn't have anyone to really show me the ropes so it feels good to help a young guy out.

@Irisado- Thanks Irisado. Very glad you liked the visuals. I was very excited myself. I wish he had his Talos on their stands but he forgot a bunch of stuff... which is no worries. He came to the game straight out of community service so a pass is certainly in order. We both did play well which was good to see. I can usually withstand a couple of turns of mediocre dice so long as my target priority is on point. The young man really did know what he was doing too. After talking with him a bit, its not playing the game that was eluding him it was the army construction which is where most DE players get tangled up.

Yeah the Wraithlord really did hold up his end. If I had had the Farseer more nearby he could have Fortuned the big man which would have been very nice. If I bungled anything it was the Farseer, I forgot the psychic phase a couple times and really had him out of position. I'm just totally unused to have a psyker in the army. Its something I wont forget next time. And YES! The Scorpions shined again... both thematically and strategically they were performed so well. I am so happy with how they've done in these games... they are auto-include from here on out. Anyway thanks Irisado its been fun getting your feedback on these league games, I'm glad you've enjoyed them too.

@Dog of War- Hey DoW thanks man I appreciate it. Yeah I'm really glad I toned things down for sure. The youngblood deserved it having not won any of his games, and also as a veteran player I think I should know when to tone things down a bit. While my list isn't spammy... the Warp Hunter, Hornets, Nightwing and Jetbikes are all really powerful.

As for my opponent unfortunatley he's backing off from the Harlie themed army, but will include it as a sort of "Allied Kabal" which is very cool. Its something I plan on doing as well in the future, mixing a small Sunblitz Brotherhood coterie into my overall collection. Anyway real glad you enjoyed the bat-rep buddy. Thanks for stopping by and keep up the great work yourself, I've been really enjoying your progress!

@Everybody- Well guys thanks as always for the feedback. Its been great hearing your thoughts on the League so far. I've got a fairly large update for you guys coming soon.... some more Eldar kitbashes, Dark Angels, Thousand Sons, terrain and more.... stay tuned!